• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

I will never again . . . (Part 2)

Oh, yes, Anna, that hurts just as much as any of the many flesh wounds already described. Is there any way it can be ground down and reshaped?

Not sure but am thinking of asking The Dane to put his brand new grinding kit to work on it! It would be shorter, that's for sure but it might still make a decent knive. The ribs had better be good! A Bruce Aidells' recipe.

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

And this just in, via HWOE: pour chicken broth onto the bowl of cereal, because he saw the quart-size tetrapak in the fridge and thought, "Oh, that's a container of milk."

Hah. I love the episode of Seinfeld when Kramer walks into Jerry's apartment after a restless night spent tossing and turning in the glare of the neon red rotisserie chicken sign erected outside his window, makes a bowl of cereal, and pours tomato juice on it because it looked like milk to him.

I will never, ever, lend my commis my ceramic steel, only to have him drop it on the floor.

I'm wondering which I'm going to replace first, my steel or my commis.

Allan Brown

"If you're a chef on a salary, there's usually a very good reason. Never, ever, work out your hourly rate."

I will never again start to butcher a deer (or any other large animal) without first sharpening the knives. And, for that matter, making sure I have a good way to hang the beast before getting it hoisted (OK, now that it's up, how do I keep it there?) Carumba, what a job.

I will, next time, work out a better way to fend the puppy off during the butchering process....although, as I write this, the puppy is nearly comatose, and well worth a quiet evening. While I was fending him off I gave him less meat than he wanted but more than I thought wise. Assuming he is back to normal come morning, this state of distended animation is pretty funny.

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

I will never again start to butcher a deer (or any other large animal) without first sharpening the knives.  And, for that matter, making sure I have a good way to hang the beast before getting it hoisted (OK, now that it's up, how do I keep it there?)  Carumba, what a job.

Good on you for getting one! And, I do recall a friend breaking a joist in the roof of a garage hoisting a big ass deer...

Susan Fahning aka "snowangel"

... try to inject a marinade into a raw chicken, and when I can't push the plunger down, figure I just need to press a little harder ... and harder ... and harder ...

... until the end of the injector pops off and marinade bounces off the raw chicken and all over the kitchen.

I learned that little grains of powdered spices will clog the needle, so you need to blend the marinade before injecting.

I wanted to sear off a roast for yesterday's meal and decided my Le Creuset was the best vehicle to do this in. Put it on the stove over high heat, let it sit for about five minutes. Toss in some lard: whoosh! Pillar of flame up from the pot.

That black ring in the bottom of the pot WILL come out, right?

I know better.  I knew better even as I was doing it!  But I did it anyway and now I am minus my favorite Sabatier chef's knive!  It snapped as I used it (oh so gently) to pry apart two slightly frozen racks of spare ribs.  We're talking an inch off the tip. :sad:  :sad:  :sad:

I did the same - except with my Boker ceramic knife. Lost the tip. and there's no practical way I know of to regrind a ceramic knife that much.

I know better.  I knew better even as I was doing it!  But I did it anyway and now I am minus my favorite Sabatier chef's knive!  It snapped as I used it (oh so gently) to pry apart two slightly frozen racks of spare ribs.  We're talking an inch off the tip. :sad:  :sad:  :sad:

I did the same - except with my Boker ceramic knife. Lost the tip. and there's no practical way I know of to regrind a ceramic knife that much.

OUCH! Sorry to hear that. :sad:

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

I am never ever ever again taking my eye off ANYTHING I need in the kitchen while my boyfriend is roaming around. Last night, we smoked a turkey - knowing there'd be no drippings for gravy, I specifically roasted some more parts with onions, turning the pan, paying close attention to it, and getting gorgeous gibbles and juice in the pan. I had giblet stock simmering alongside all freaking afternoon, and mentioned all this to him as I was doing it. I pull the roasting pan out to remove the solids, ten minutes till estimated serving time - the turkey's resting, the dressing's browning, the brussels sprouts are done - turn my back for one moment to skim the stock - and when I turn back around, my pan full of gorgeous caramelized bits and pieces and juices is in the sink, coated with Dawn.

:sad:

I made a decent gravy with just the stock though. But MAN!

Turn my head for 1 measly second to inform the SO that of course I always use my chefs knife to dice and cut most of the top off my thumb, right through the nail :shock::angry:

DAMN that hurts. He was kind enough not to say a word except to inquire if we should go to emerg. while cleaning the spurting blood off the wall. :blink: and then helped tape, bandage and finish the prep for me. :smile:

Going to have a glass of wine to recover now. I haven't done that in years!!!! Stupid girl. :sad:

Barbara Laidlaw aka "Jake"

Good friends help you move, real friends help you move bodies.

turn my back for one moment to skim the stock - and when I turn back around, my pan full of gorgeous caramelized bits and pieces and juices is in the sink, coated with Dawn.

I made a decent gravy with just the stock though.  But MAN!

This is as Real Life as it gets, Damn, damn, damn. (It's happend to me.) You are a very forgiving woman.

Margaret McArthur

"Take it easy, but take it."

Studs Terkel

1912-2008

A sensational tennis blog from freakyfrites

margaretmcarthur.com

...I will never again put somethng in my freezer without a label, thinking that THIS time I will surely remember what it was and when I put it there...

One of these days I think I might try making THAT for dinner. Whatever THAT is that I forgot to label and now have no idea what it is. I'm sure it can't be that bad... right? I mean... there had to be some reason I kept it...

You have a printer, right? Here is what I do.

Get some address labels and print a page or a half-page each (30 on a page) of generic names, i.e., Beef, Pork, Sausage, Lamb, casserole, chicken parts, etc.

Then get one of the plastic notebook inserts (5 in a package at Staples) and put the pages of labels in it and, using a magnetic hook, hang them on the front of the freezer or the side if it is available with a Marks A Lot pen clipped to the plastic envelope.

Then when something is ready to go into the freezer you can pull out one of the generic labels and add specifics such as type, steak, roast, butt, etc and the DATE!

With the basic label printing software you can do a half page by setting the original and when you enter PRINT it will ask how many and you enter 15 (for a 30 label page).

After it prints, take the sheet and reverse the ends so the blank labels are at the top and make up your new label.

It is much quicker this way, you don't have to waste time searching for a pen or a label.

Edited by andiesenji (log)

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

I have to do it this way because if I stick an unlabeled container or package in the freezer I won't remember the contents a day later. There is just so much in there and I have so many projects going at once.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

... try to inject a marinade into a raw chicken, and when I can't push the plunger down, figure I just need to press a little harder ... and harder ... and harder ...

... until the end of the injector pops off and marinade bounces off the raw chicken and all over the kitchen.

I learned that little grains of powdered spices will clog the needle, so you need to blend the marinade before injecting.

always use between a 14 and 10 gauge needle. Everything will flow right through...

I always attempt to have the ratio of my intelligence to weight ratio be greater than one. But, I am from the midwest. I am sure you can now understand my life's conundrum.

I predict this thread will get a nice post-Thanksgiving boost. 

That reminds me of the Thanksgiving when I was heating gravy directly on my stove, in a lovely blue casserole dish, given to me by my mother years earlier. I had seen her use it in the oven, and it hadn't occurred to me that it couldn't be used on the stovetop, so I was truly surprised when I turned away from it for a second and heard it explode behind my back.

No one was hurt, though I did lose all my gravy and that very nice dish. My mother happened to be visiting that day from out of town, and she saw what happened and said to me, "You did that to make me feel better, didn't you?" because she is usually the one who has all the terrible kitchen mishaps.

Oh well.

I am never ever ever again taking my eye off ANYTHING I need in the kitchen while my boyfriend is roaming around.  Last night, we smoked a turkey - knowing there'd be no drippings for gravy, I specifically roasted some more parts with onions, turning the pan, paying close attention to it, and getting gorgeous gibbles and juice in the pan.  I had giblet stock simmering alongside all freaking afternoon, and mentioned all this to him as I was doing it.  I pull the roasting pan out to remove the solids, ten minutes till estimated serving time - the turkey's resting, the dressing's browning, the brussels sprouts are done - turn my back for one moment to skim the stock - and when I turn back around, my pan full of gorgeous caramelized bits and pieces and juices is in the sink, coated with Dawn.

I made a decent gravy with just the stock though.  But MAN!

Eunny, That sounds so familliar. I'm so sorry you went through that.

Loic's notorious for tossing out my carefully cultivated bits and pieces ! He tossed the roasted garlic I made for Bux's soup the night they came for dinner! They were sitting there at the table and I went back to put the last touch on the soup - I had to go in and ask him if he knew where it was, I couldn't find it anywhere, and he was so funny trying to keep a stright face and not look nervous! Anyway I had a backup plan.

So glad you had those giblets going...