• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Heating with Microwave vs Stovetop

Shel_B

Sometimes the choice is simple, dictated by convenience or convention. But other times, at least to me, the choice is not so clear. For example, I'm going to make a flan next week, and, it seems, heating the milk can be done either way, microwave oven or stovetop (although I've always used the stovetop for this). Which may be best, or is there really much, if any, difference in the result?

Making oatmeal - Toots makes hers in the microwave, and I use the stovetop, slowly cooking the oats in water with some added ingredients. Is there an advantage using one method or the other? I feel there's better control on the stovetop, but Toots' oatmeal is pretty good - she's certainly satisfied with it.

How about reheating leftovers, like meat or vegetable stews or soups? Again, I often use the stovetop and Toots is the Microwave Queen. Is anything gained or lost using one method or the other?

I'm sure you can think of other comparisons ...

I'm not so much just interested in which method you use, although that may be helpful, but, also, why you use one method over the other and, most important, is there any flavor or texture differences between the two methods with similar dishes. Also, do you use one or the other for specific purposes. Thanks!

... Shel

To a degree (heh) heating is heating, but there are differences between microwave and stovetop. To my way of thinking microwave is limited by the need to stop and stir frequently if the food is thicker than about a cm. Microwaves don't penetrate much deeper than that and heating of thicker inner portions is all done by conductance from the outer cm which is going to overcook. Microwave therefore is bad for heating a big chunk of steak or chicken, but just fine for a stir fry with little chunks you can stir a couple time to keep from getting too hot. Wouldn't do fish in a microwave ever.

What do I microwave? Liquids...frozen pizza slices to thaw them followed by a bit under the broiler of the breville smart oven...leftover Chinese...hot dogs sometimes.

• Like 1

Microwave often saves on dishes! You can heat and serve or heat and use in one dish.

• Like 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Here's my .02. Actually, .005 cents.

I'm not going to haul out the MC volumes to find the explanation on microwave cooking, but from recollection, microwaves are most effective heating items around 1.25" thick. Very thin items are not well heated. The heat generated in thicker items must diffuse thru, just like conventional heating.

When microwave cookers first came out, I was told the food needed to have water in it. I was told it was the water that was being heated, and the hot water/steam was what cooked the food. That's not entirely true, but water does respond to microwaves very well. As I've learned, so do (some?) oils and some minerals. Mostly, foods heated by microwaves will cook as if boiled, or steamed. Not so good for items that need to be caramelized, or have Maillard reactions. Re-heating works pretty well..

I've come across a couple of problems w. reheating. Breadstuffs and some meats become tough. Adding some water to the re-heat vessel or into the chamber reduces that, but only some.

At present, my favorite microwave use, aside from re-heating, is a quick omelette. Whisk one or two eggs w. some milk, add some cheese, and/or spices and/or croutons, etc. Set 'wave to mid power. I use various small bowls, but an old Corningware soup bowl works best. Cook for no more than 2 minutes. The egg mixture should puff up. If the center is not quite set, give it a few more seconds if you like. The microwave pulses seem to fluff the egg mixture better than stirring.

• Like 1

Mostly, foods heated by microwaves will cook as if boiled, or steamed. Not so good for items that need to be caramelized, or have Maillard reactions. Re-heating works pretty well..

Actually I have found that you can brown garlic and onions very quickly and effectively in the microwave. If you chop them up and cover them in oil microwaving will fry them, but faster.

• Like 1

I think a microwave is great for many things if you pay close attention to cooking times and power settings.

I know a lot of folks who cook everything on high and them complain about the bad results.

Microwave tater chips were a big surprise, they're actually quite good if you pay attention to detail.

• Like 1

~Martin :)

I just don't want to look back and think "I could have eaten that."

Unsupervised, rebellious, radical agrarian experimenter, minimalist penny-pincher, and adventurous cook. Crotchety, cantankerous, terse curmudgeon, non-conformist, and contrarian who questions everything!

The best thing about a vegetable garden is all the meat you can hunt and trap out of it!

I think a microwave is great for many things if you pay close attention to cooking times and power settings.

I know a lot of folks who cook everything on high and them complain about the bad results.

Microwave tater chips were a big surprise, they're actually quite good if you pay attention to detail.

Exactly - it is another cooking method and if mastered can get you some cool results

You do have to be aware of the following:

Water boils at 212F, it prevents temperature getting higher than 212F.

However, if you microwave food with a lot of oil or fat, that can be a problem for many plastic containers. Oil does not boil until over 400F. There is nothing to keep temperature below that if you microwave oil or fat.

dcarch

How about reheating leftovers, like meat or vegetable stews or soups? Again, I often use the stovetop and Toots is the Microwave Queen. Is anything gained or lost using one method or the other?

Addressing only this point, which is my main use of the microwave (aside from steaming some veggies), the advantage is that the heat is more gentle (assuming, as DDF mentions, that one knows how to use the power settings) and comes from all sides, whereas a stove can heat only from the bottom. That said, for some things, especially large quantities and meats with few liquids, the best answer actually is an oven, dish covered or not depending on what's being reheated.

I've come across a couple of problems w. reheating. Breadstuffs and some meats become tough.

Meats in particular do not cook well in a microwave in my experience.

Porthos Potwatcher
The Once and Future Cook

;

I always heat milk or cream in the microwave - I regularly make yogurt in 2-quart batches and it takes 14 minutes on HIGH to heat half a gallon of milk (in a container with a minimum of three inches of headroom) to the desired 185 degrees F.

I check with my Thermapen. It takes 9 minutes to heat a liter.

I heat most things in my glass Pryex or Anchor Hocking measures with one of the silicone flat "lids" of which I have several sizes. This allows for easy stirring and they are deep enough to prevent overboil.

If I suspect something may boil over, I set the container on a paper plate - it is much easier than mopping up the spills.

Rolled oats are okay cooked in the microwave but I prefer stovetop - and as I mostly use steel cut oats or "pinhead" oats, they MUST be cooked over heat with constant stirring - Since I have a Thermomix, I use that and the result is an exceptionally creamy oatmeal.

I've been using the microwave method since I got my first RadarRange in 1968 - and a female technician from Amana came to the house and spent 2 hours showing me how to use it and what not to put in it.

For foods with chunks of meat or chicken - which can get rubbery - the best way is to heat them for long periods at very low power.

For stews, for 3-4 cups, I set the timer for 15 MINUTES on power level 3 which usually heats the stuff all the way through fairly evenly.

I do check with the Thermapen to be sure it is above 160° F., and if not, stir and hit it with a minute or two at full power.

If I am going to "roast" potatoes with meat or chicken, I pre-bake them in their skins in the microwave for 5 minutes, allow them to cool a bit and then remove the skins and put them in with the roast or ?? for the final half hour in the oven.

Sweet potatoes come out perfect "baked" in the microwave.

You can find some excellent advice, written in concise, easy to understand language, at this site, which has been around for more than a decade.

• Like 1

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

I've been using the microwave method since I got my first RadarRange in 1968 - and a female technician from Amana came to the house and spent 2 hours showing me how to use it and what not to put in it.

The Amana Radar Range - hey, I, too, had one of those behemoths.

And about those sweet potatoes.

We like sweet potatoes that have baked a long time and are all collapsed and caramelly. That doesn't happen in the microwave. So I bake them in the microwave until they're just barely soft, then put them into the conventional oven to bake until they're how we like them.

We are also big fans of bacon cooked in the microwave. Get a couple of paper towels - put one on a large plate, top with your strips of bacon, put another paper towel over all to control splatters and off you go.

• Like 1

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

And about those sweet potatoes.

We like sweet potatoes that have baked a long time and are all collapsed and caramelly. That doesn't happen in the microwave. So I bake them in the microwave until they're just barely soft, then put them into the conventional oven to bake until they're how we like them.

Hmmm - I like my sweet potatoes (the red ones) soft and somewhat caramelly, as you describe. They turn out as described when I use the microwave ... Yummy Yum Yum!

... Shel

At present, my favorite microwave use, aside from re-heating, is a quick omelette. Whisk one or two eggs w. some milk, add some cheese, and/or spices and/or croutons, etc. Set 'wave to mid power. I use various small bowls, but an old Corningware soup bowl works best. Cook for no more than 2 minutes. The egg mixture should puff up. If the center is not quite set, give it a few more seconds if you like. The microwave pulses seem to fluff the egg mixture better than stirring.

I'll have to try this. Thanks! BTW, do you butter or grease the bowl?

... Shel

Actually I have found that you can brown garlic and onions very quickly and effectively in the microwave. If you chop them up and cover them in oil microwaving will fry them, but faster.

Another thing to try. Thanks!

... Shel

I always heat milk or cream in the microwave - I regularly make yogurt in 2-quart batches and it takes 14 minutes on HIGH to heat half a gallon of milk (in a container with a minimum of three inches of headroom) to the desired 185 degrees F.

I check with my Thermapen. It takes 9 minutes to heat a liter.

I heat most things in my glass Pryex or Anchor Hocking measures with one of the silicone flat "lids" of which I have several sizes. This allows for easy stirring and they are deep enough to prevent overboil.

If I suspect something may boil over, I set the container on a paper plate - it is much easier than mopping up the spills.

Rolled oats are okay cooked in the microwave but I prefer stovetop - and as I mostly use steel cut oats or "pinhead" oats, they MUST be cooked over heat with constant stirring - Since I have a Thermomix, I use that and the result is an exceptionally creamy oatmeal.

For foods with chunks of meat or chicken - which can get rubbery - the best way is to heat them for long periods at very low power.

For stews, for 3-4 cups, I set the timer for 15 MINUTES on power level 3 which usually heats the stuff all the way through fairly evenly.

I do check with the Thermapen to be sure it is above 160° F., and if not, stir and hit it with a minute or two at full power.

If I am going to "roast" potatoes with meat or chicken, I pre-bake them in their skins in the microwave for 5 minutes, allow them to cool a bit and then remove the skins and put them in with the roast or ?? for the final half hour in the oven.

You can find some excellent advice, written in concise, easy to understand language, at this site, which has been around for more than a decade.

Thanks for the info - quite a few things to explore and experiment with.

... Shel

I'll have to try this. Thanks! BTW, do you butter or grease the bowl?

I do this all the time as well. I do wipe the bowl with a quick smear, but honestly, I've found that you don't have to.

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

I'll have to try this.

Thanks! BTW, do you butter or grease the bowl?

I do this all the time as well. I do wipe the bowl with a quick smear, but honestly, I've found that you don't have to.

I meant to ask, why a Corningware bowl? What does Corningware bring to the party?

... Shel

Not to speak for Jaymes - but I think I get what she is saying - they were heavy "glass", a known item, known performance. I love the product and so do collectors as they can be pricey.

Not to speak for Jaymes - but I think I get what she is saying - they were heavy "glass", a known item, known performance. I love the product and so do collectors as they can be pricey.

And, not to speak for Shel-B, but I think he didn't get the "quote" feature to work exactly right, as it was gdenby that mentioned a fondness for Corningware, not I.

Actually, I make my omlettes in my regular ol' everyday Blue Danube soup bowl, covered with either a film of Saran Wrap, pierced, or an inverted Blue Danube saucer.

Although, like many ladies of a certain age, I do have quite a bit of Corningware, use it, and especially love it in the microwave.

If steel cut oats are cooked on the stovetop in a pressure cooker there is no need to stir. I use 2 oz oats, 8 oz water, 1/4 teaspoon Kosher salt in a pint jar. I just made oatmeal for a late breakfast along with a recipe of tomato sauce, cooked at the same time in the same pot, which of course saves energy.

I always thought the name RadarRange was a bit redundant -- since RADAR stands for Radio Detection and Ranging.

• Like 1

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

And, not to speak for Shel-B, but I think he didn't get the "quote" feature to work exactly right, as it was gdenby that mentioned a fondness for Corningware, not I.

Actually, I make my omlettes in my regular ol' everyday Blue Danube soup bowl, covered with either a film of Saran Wrap, pierced, or an inverted Blue Danube saucer.

Although, like many ladies of a certain age, I do have quite a bit of Corningware, use it, and especially love it in the microwave.

RE: Corningware ... I've a few pieces purchased at garage sales. Love the items I have. Love the price I paid - averaged out to $3.00 a piece, with covers! No bowls though.

• Like 1

... Shel

Here is my thought.....

One distinction is usually that the microwave usually works by using along with waste items a lesser amount of power in comparison with other way of cooking. Additionally it is an effective way associated with protecting your nutrients in veggies, as those people steamed inside microwave lose a lesser amount of vitamin supplements in comparison with those people boiled or perhaps conventionally steamed.

If steel cut oats are cooked on the stovetop in a pressure cooker there is no need to stir. I use 2 oz oats, 8 oz water, 1/4 teaspoon Kosher salt in a pint jar. I just made oatmeal for a late breakfast along with a recipe of tomato sauce, cooked at the same time in the same pot, which of course saves energy.

I always thought the name RadarRange was a bit redundant -- since RADAR stands for Radio Detection and Ranging.

The whole "Radarange" naming thing was up in the air for a couple of years because Raytheon originally developed it in the late '40s and when it "acquired" Amana Refrigeration in the mid-1960s, the thing was going to be marketed as the Raytheon-Amana Radarange but after two years of "discussions" some of which were acrimonious, they settled on just using the Amana name and Raytheon withdrew its fingers from the pie, concentrating instead on government contracts instead of consumer products.

I learned all this from a friend of my husband who had worked for Raytheon before taking a job at Applied Research Lab in Montrose, CA. He said that the term "heads will roll" was demonstrated during the "Radarange wars" ... He departed before the firing squads were brought in. :rolleyes:

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett