• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Favorite loaf pan for baking bread?

rotuts

what's your favorite style of Loaf Pan for baking bread?

Im going to try to move to baking bread in my BV-XL

in a loaf pan. I have something very specific in mind: in the past I did long retarded sour dough ' free form ' in my massively

bricked oven, using the "Best Bread Ever"

http://www.amazon.com/dp/0767900324/?tag=googhydr-20&hvadid=41849354609&hvpos=1t1&hvexid=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=12827560411260303086&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=b&hvdev=c&ref=pd_sl_1i7bmof1gz_b

its out of print but revolutionary to me:

bread.jpg

30 min total prep : 6 loaves for baking the next week. in covered plastic containers

now Id like to go back to that book, make this same dough, the same 1 week retarding

but now make it in a loaf pan in my BV-XL

why ? times change and Id need a fairly long last rise w/o a fall so that's a loaf pan for that last rise.

good news: (most projects that interest me are ' 6 months off the calender ' can't say why this would have been a no brainer 6 M ago)

ie Im going to let these loafs rise in a very cold winter kitchen. but then the PID controller and the beer coolers with a heating pad in the bottom Im sure will help me out. not really SV. :blink: SV-ish?

so: ( Im a fan of Chicago Metallic ) 1 1/2 lbs loaf pans : dark or shiny ? greased or not? lined with parchment paper or not ?

many thanks

Edited by rotuts (log)

I really like the traditional, not all that shiny black metal pans, with a bit of butter by way of greasing. I don't do parchment with salt breads - it's redundant and in very high hydration loaves actually counterproductive. Mine are simple folded steel jobbies that I bought from my local tin bender.

Elizabeth Campbell, baking 10,000 feet up at 1° South latitude.

My eG Food Blog (2011)My eG Foodblog (2012)

My workhorse bread pan is a 1/3 steam table pan (four inches deep). It produces something very nearly batard shaped. I oil lightly, then dust thoroughly with rice flour, which releases nicely. For round loaves, I use a 3 qt All Clad saucier. I also have a pair of narrow pans (5 by 12-1/2 inches) which I found in a restaurant supply store; these I use for small baguettes (dividing a dough based on 1 lb flour between them). Another good pan to have, imho, is a Pullman.

BTW, I don't have a Breville, but my countertop oven tends to scorch breads if I don't shield them with aluminum foil for the majority of the baking time. No idea whether you'll have the same problem, but thought I'd mention just in case.

I've been making a lot of sourdough lately, with sandwiches in mind. I picked up one of these Pullman pans at Home Goods and have been using it a lot. I also really like my old Pyrex Bake-A-Round. Other than that, I free-form onto my pizza stone.

If price isn't the main consideration, http://www.williams-sonoma.com/products/usa-pan-goldtouch-nonstick-loaf-pan/?pkey=e%7Cgold%2Btouch%2Bloaf%2Bpan%7C4%7Cbest%7C0%7C1%7C24%7C%7C1&cm_src=PRODUCTSEARCH||NoFacet-_-NoFacet-_-NoMerchRules-_- this is the pan to buy!

I have numerous bread pans of all sizes and absolutely nothing can compare to the Gold Touch pans. Never have to grease them and they come out looking brand new. No scrubbing, ever!

I'll never buy any other brand again.

Got it, Thanks.

What are the interior dimensions? I notice they're only giving away 12" wide things even though the appliance is considerably wider.

Wonder if they make a 230VAC model. Looks a useful device.

Does it get hot enough for bread making? And can you add water for steam?

I'm asking because I'm seriously considering having a flutter at bread making. Wonderful though the bread is here it might be nice to have something different & home made.

many people use this for bread. I used to bake bread in a conventional oven and the one thing this might not do is have a space for boiling water for the initial bit

but others would have to chime in on what bread they bake and pics etc.

this is from AUS so Id go to the main site of breville and snoop around a little.

maybe not EU :

http://www.breville.eu/products.html

the XL is not just a bigger mid-level oven.

the oven 'just' fits an aluminum 13 " x 9 ' pan

it also fits this pan:

http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/store/product/Chicago-Metallic-trade-Roast-Pan-with-Rack/1041651537?Keyword=Chicago+Metallic

ive gone back to BB&B to study various 'fits' on all the pans.

it does not fit this pan:

http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/store/product/Chicago-Metallic-trade-Roast-Pan-with-Rack/1041651537?Keyword=Chicago+Metallic

i plan to get one anyway and sent it down to the Home Workshop for modifications.

I use an unglazed (but very well seasoned by use) stoneware loaf pan most often. I do grease it from time to time, depending on the sort of bread I'm making. I find it helps to even out the heat of my toaster oven--when I've baked bread in the TO in metal pans, it suffered from uneven bottom browning.

About steam and over-browning. I've spent a fair amount of time on this, as I no longer have a conventional oven (nor even a conventional kitchen). The countertop convection oven I'm using is a Cuisinart BRK-200 (no longer made) - similar to the Breville but not identical - with interior dimensions of 12 by 12-1/2 by 5 inches. There are heating elements both above and below, plus a fan (which can be turned off, though I don't for bread).

IME, treating this as a conventional oven doesn't work. As mentioned, it tends to scorch the top and, as HungryC says, the bottom. Also, there's no where to put a reservoir for water to make steam. Taking the middle problem first, I put my baking vessel on a very shallow cooling rack on a wide comal. This shields the vessel from the direct heat of the lower heating element. I solve the first and third problems with a variation of the closed baking vessel method used by Lahey for no-knead bread. Except, rather than pre-heat the vessel, I do the final rise in it, cover with foil (having first misted the dough well with water) and place cold in the heated oven at 450ºF. Even without pre-heating the vessel, this produces enough steam (which is contained by the foil) and adequate oven spring. After half-an-hour, I reduce the temp to 375º. After another half-hour, I reduce the temp to 325º, transfer the loaf from the vessel to a rack on a quarter-sheet pan and bake a final half-hour (1-1/2 hours total). This allows the crust to crisp all around.

I suppose that looks a bit fiddly, but it works for me. Nor is it all that fiddly, really, once one gets used to it. No doubt there are other solutions. And perhaps, the Breville doesn't even have the scorching problem, though the steam problem would remain (I'm pretty sure).

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

TODAY IS THE DAY! After searching almost a decade for a particular bread pan in a smaller size than I have, it, and two mini loaf pans, were delivered to my apartment this morning. I am so freakin' happy - this was my holiday gift to myself.

Back in the late seventies, I had this pan, but when I got divorced, the ex-wife took it, and I was bereft of my favorite pan. I had a hard time finding the pan as I didn't know who made it - another company's name was etched into the bottom as they were distributing the product. Many hits on eBay turned up poor quality, used pans, nothing that I wanted to pay good money for. And then, just a few months ago, I discovered, quite by accident, Tufty Ceramics (http://www.tuftyceramics.com/), the actual maker of the pan, and contacted Karen Tufty to order the pan I'd been searching for. It was several months before she replied to my purchase request- illness, computer problems, and some technical glitches prevented her from getting back to me.

Then, unexpectedly, Karen called me a couple of weeks age and wanted to know if I was still interested in the pans. Yes, indeed, I was, and today they arrived. I am so happy! Oh, I said that already ...

what's your favorite style of Loaf Pan for baking bread?

http://forums.egullet.org/topic/144857-copco-loaf-pan-wanted/

Edited by Shel_B (log)
  • Like 1

... Shel