• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Yard Sale, Thrift Store, Junk Heap Shopping (Part 2)

Darienne

3 minutes ago, Tere said:

Sadly they don't seem to be listed on the website as being for sale but they do turn up on eBay now and again, so it's worth keeping an eye and having a custom search going :)

I just realized that after submitting my post - and I see several for sale on eBay for $30USD + shipping!  I'm quite sure that my mother would never have paid anywhere near that much, and now that I've done the math, I realize that she probably gave them to me closer to 40 yrs ago than 30 yrs. So that being said, and considering how many times I have moved in the ensuing years, these bread bakers surely have proven to be durable! 

• Like 1

Welp, I'll give this one a go. If it doesn't work out for me I'm happy to post it on :) (and I will keep an eye out in the charity shops here - the company does seem to pop up now and again, both my wine coolers for my holiday lets are from them and were immaculate thrift shop purchases).

Interestingly this site is suggesting several low and slow bakes to season. I had to scrub it back obviously, who knows when it was last used, but I think I'll try this method of seasoning.

http://www.cooksinfo.com/bread-pans

Might be the impetus to go and get some free starter from Price's of Ludlow :D

• Like 1

Not exactly a big score, but I bought these 3 pretty little glasses at the Salvation Army store today for 75 cents.  The one in the back is holding 1.5 oz of an unspecified beverage.

IMG_2660.thumb.jpg.92f93a4bdcdd5712c474d

Two of them will be an add on to a gift of homemade lime-cello or strawberry infused tequila.  The third one has a little chip in the lip so I'll keep it to enjoy some little treats.

• Like 8

26 minutes ago, rotuts said:

and my parents set, perhaps 6 each of 2 - 3 sizes was no doubt second hand if nor more  so.

i still have a few small sherry glasses somewhere.

I might showcase my great aunt's sherry glasses with a personal beverage sometime. Yes, the same great aunt that I inherited the dinner service from (and I got some saucers cheap off eBay for my soup bowls so wootwoot! :) )

• Like 2

On 2/14/2016 at 6:06 PM, Tere said:

I love charity shopping and this thread filled me with delight!

Most of my finds have not been that exciting but I thought you might enjoy seeing the cast iron skillet I found at a neighbour's garage sale for £3, along with a big pile of wine making equipment from the 1980's. It's the perfect size for the Aga hot plate.

56c0c0e53f9a2_IMG_6927small.jpg.9d041e65

Looking at the beautiful job some of you folk have done of refurbishing cast iron I clearly need to do more than the rather half hearted job I've done of cleaning it up! :)

You might also enjoy this. Not a thrift store find, but I recently inherited my great aunt's wedding service after my aunt unearthed it from her loft where it had been languishing for 20 years. It's Suzi Cooper, Wedding Band. She got married in 1935. In pretty good condition apart from a couple of crazed plates and a lid on a tureen that's seen better days. Just need to source a few of the saucers for those amazing soup bowls! We are unlikely to use it on a regular basis as I am sure it's not dishwasher friendly but it's great to have a proper grown up dinner service for special occasions :)

56c0c22b00dbc_IMG_6926small.jpg.3fadcaf2

rotuts, the service at the bottom :)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, rotuts said:

@Tere   

is  'Dinner Service'  plates or sterling silverware ?

I just linked the pic. It's lovely. And very rare to have a full set, even with such a popular pattern, judging by eBay :D

• Like 1

6 hours ago, blue_dolphin said:

Not exactly a big score, but I bought these 3 pretty little glasses at the Salvation Army store today for 75 cents.  The one in the back is holding 1.5 oz of an unspecified beverage.

IMG_2660.thumb.jpg.92f93a4bdcdd5712c474d

Two of them will be an add on to a gift of homemade lime-cello or strawberry infused tequila.  The third one has a little chip in the lip so I'll keep it to enjoy some little treats.

Which Salvation Army store? They are few and far between in the Inland Empire.

Porthos Potwatcher
The Once and Future Cook

;

2 hours ago, Porthos said:

Which Salvation Army store? They are few and far between in the Inland Empire.

There are 2 SA stores out here in Ventura Co:  Thousand Oaks (where I got these) and Oxnard.  That store doesn't have the best selection or prices, but it's just across the parking lot from Smart & Final so I stop by for a quick look-see if I'm in the area.  

I had to run errands over in Riverside Friday and decided to go some thrift stores in the area. I found this Dexter S29114 knife, which I assume is a cheese slicing knife, for $3.00. Cheese slicing in my ren faire kitchen will be its intended use.

Dexter_S29114.thumb.jpg.5fc44025fee47170

I have a technical question about sharpening. I sharpen all of the knives for my ren faire kitchen to an 18/18 degree angle. For some reason that seems like it might be a bit more acute than it should be for cheese slicing. Does 18/18 make sense or should I go 21/21 or something else? This knife will be used by volunteers, not professional cooks.

• Like 2

Porthos Potwatcher
The Once and Future Cook

;

On 3/21/2016 at 8:45 AM, Porthos said:

I had to run errands over in Riverside Friday and decided to go some thrift stores in the area. I found this Dexter S29114 knife, which I assume is a cheese slicing knife, for $3.00. Cheese slicing in my ren faire kitchen will be its intended use.

Dexter_S29114.thumb.jpg.5fc44025fee47170

I have a technical question about sharpening. I sharpen all of the knives for my ren faire kitchen to an 18/18 degree angle. For some reason that seems like it might be a bit more acute than it should be for cheese slicing. Does 18/18 make sense or should I go 21/21 or something else? This knife will be used by volunteers, not professional cooks.

I've got a vintage cheese knife made by dexter and the handles are at each end and the blade is thinner and straight though some were slightly curved, they are still very thin.

Yours looks like an old "50s pizza cutter.  We had one at my mom's bakery and used it for cutting big round galettes - 12" diameter.

This is cheese knife.

56f1da9c01efa_ScreenShot2016-03-22at4.48

Edited by andiesenji (log)
  • Like 2

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

16 hours ago, andiesenji said:

Yours looks like an old "50s pizza cutter.  We had one at my mom's bakery and used it for cutting big round galettes - 12" diameter.

I concur with Andie.  Because the blade is slightly curved...it helps when slicing the pizza (or whatever) from one side to the other which uses a rocking motion. It makes quick work of slicing a large pizza (my local pizza joint uses a similarly curved knife on their pizza pies). It's almost very mezzaluna-ish in operation.

I used to work in a cheese shop during my college days. We mainly used wires (strung between to wooden handles/knobs) for the huge cheese wheels, wire cutting boards for smaller wheels and very large, crazy sharp knives (run under very hot water and then dried) that practically melted their way through the cheese wheels. Andie's double-handled knife would have come in handy in the cheese shop.

• Like 2

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

6 hours ago, Toliver said:

I concur with Andie.  Because the blade is slightly curved...it helps when slicing the pizza (or whatever) from one side to the other which uses a rocking motion. It makes quick work of slicing a large pizza (my local pizza joint uses a similarly curved knife on their pizza pies). It's almost very mezzaluna-ish in operation.

I used to work in a cheese shop during my college days. We mainly used wires (strung between to wooden handles/knobs) for the huge cheese wheels, wire cutting boards for smaller wheels and very large, crazy sharp knives (run under very hot water and then dried) that practically melted their way through the cheese wheels. Andie's double-handled knife would have come in handy in the cheese shop.

I also have the extra large Wusthof cheese knife, as well as the smaller one.  It works great on large wheels of caerphilly or cheddar.  For the harder cheeses I have a cheese wire but use it for horizontal cutting, loop it around the cheese and it usually takes two people to cut some of the big ones, then I use the long Wusthof.  I don't do that much anymore but when I was catering, we did huge cheese boards for serving up to 50 people.  

Here:  Little Wusthof cheese knife, big Wusthof cheese knife, big pizza knife (American Metalcraft).

56f3277a1c9b7_ScreenShot2016-03-23at4.29

• Like 7

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

• 4 weeks later...

A 10 inch chef knife and Edgemaker pro knife sharpener 1 dollar each at the thrift shop.  Knife became razor sharp after a few passes through the sharpener

image.jpgimage.jpg

• Like 7

On 3/21/2016 at 8:45 AM, Porthos said:

Dexter_S29114.jpg

I put a new edge on this knife this week and we tried it with cheese this morning. I was not happy with the new edge when I did it and it did prove acceptable but not great for the cheese slicing. I will rework the new edge this coming week and hopefully will get a sharper edge. I had a difficult time creating an even burr the length of the edge. EdgePro 220 stone for the burr followed by their "medium" and finished with an EdgePro 600 stone. I am still happy I picked up this knife.

• Like 1

Porthos Potwatcher
The Once and Future Cook

;

23 hours ago, Porthos said:

I put a new edge on this knife this week and we tried it with cheese this morning. I was not happy with the new edge when I did it and it did prove acceptable but not great for the cheese slicing. I will rework the new edge this coming week and hopefully will get a sharper edge. I had a difficult time creating an even burr the length of the edge. EdgePro 220 stone for the burr followed by their "medium" and finished with an EdgePro 600 stone. I am still happy I picked up this knife.

The thing with cheese knives is you need something to break the contact between the cheese and the blade above the cutting edge.  Some have barley perceptible striations vertically in the blade.

The Wusthoff blades are engraved in a cross-hatch pattern you can see in my photo.

I really think your knife is a pizza cutter but if you want to use it for cheeses, I suggest you take a very fine grit flat Dremel wheel and made parallel vertical strokes on both sides of the blade beginning about 3/16 of an inch above the cutting edge which will give you the same effect as a "granton" blade.  

Screen Shot 2016-04-16 at 7.22.29 PM.png

Edited by andiesenji (log)
  • Like 3

FWIW, I also think it's an old Dexter pizza knife.

Dexter currently sells a couple pizza knives (here and here), which, when combined with the optional helper handle, equates to essentially the same design.

Edited by DiggingDogFarm (log)
  • Like 2

~Martin :)

I just don't want to look back and think "I could have eaten that."

Unsupervised, rebellious, radical agrarian experimenter, minimalist penny-pincher, and adventurous cook. Crotchety, cantankerous, terse curmudgeon, non-conformist, and contrarian who questions everything!

The best thing about a vegetable garden is all the meat you can hunt and trap out of it!

I agree that it is a pizza cutting knife. I am trying to re-purpose it. I figure that for $3.00 it's worth a shot and if it ends up not working well I am  not out much.

• Like 2

Porthos Potwatcher
The Once and Future Cook

;

• 1 month later...

image.jpegimage.jpeg

Kerry Beal and I were doing a little thrift store shopping this morning and ran across this.  We are very curious about it as it does not appear to be cast iron.  Anyone? Please do not tell us it is worth a fortune because we left it there in the thrift store xD

• Like 4

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog