• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Yard Sale, Thrift Store, Junk Heap Shopping (Part 2)

Darienne

Anna N has joined the spiralizer trend started by Franci here.  

I arrived at work kind of early today and stopped in at the Grimsby Benevolent Association thrift store.  Picked up a little freezer alarm and happened across this little baby - make in Japan - I assume it's a Benriner.  $2.

IMG_0086.jpg

Brought it home, cleaned it up and pulled a very sad hairy carrot out of the bottom of the crisper.  Dragged hubby out to see what I'd done - first question - "can you make shoestring fries with that?"  Guess that will be the next thing.  

IMG_0087.jpg

• Like 9

A few months ago I found a steam table pan from Bloomfield that has non-standard dimensions. It measures 16.5 x 10 x 2.5 inches. It has turned out to be a wonderful size in my home kitchen. Right now I'm starting 1 1/2 lbs of baked rice in it. I think I paid around $3-4 for it but I just don't remember for sure.

Edited to fix typo.

Edited by Porthos (log)

Porthos Potwatcher
The Once and Future Cook

;

I'm still following this thread religiously and drooling over some of the prizes that folks have nabbed.

We are back in the land of what USED to be second hand heaven at a store named Wabi Sabi and I see from rereading my past posts what wonderful things I have found over the years.  No more.  The store had a new board of directors and the prices are jacked way up and the selection has fallen tremendously.  From what I can gather, some of the locals are non too pleased. 

All we have bought this year are a few drinking glasses which were missing from the rented house.  Haven't even been tempted.  Quel dommage.

• Like 2

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

I'm still following this thread religiously and drooling over some of the prizes that folks have nabbed.

We are back in the land of what USED to be second hand heaven at a store named Wabi Sabi and I see from rereading my past posts what wonderful things I have found over the years.  No more.  The store had a new board of directors and the prices are jacked way up and the selection has fallen tremendously.  From what I can gather, some of the locals are non too pleased. 

All we have bought this year are a few drinking glasses which were missing from the rented house.  Haven't even been tempted.  Quel dommage.

• Like 2

I've been looking for the right butter dish for our trailer travels.  Criteria: it must be pretty, sturdy and secure enough that the lid won't come off in transit.  (Our original stainless steel dish is almost right, but the lid doesn't stay on securely.  It takes 2 rubber bands to keep the lid on in transit.) Lightweight is also a good trait.

Behold, I found something even better than I'd expected:

butter dish pieces.jpg

The butter tray comes out for easy washing, so the entire dish need not be washed regularly...a good water-saving trick.

butter dish open cropped.jpg

The lid sits securely in the base, just as I needed.  The style is a favorite, vaguely Danish Modern.

butter dish closed cropped.jpg

I found this beauty last fall in, of all places, Simon's Town, South Africa, at the local equivalent of the Sally Ann.  I think the marked price was 20 rand (something under $2) but I probably paid less: our entire bill, with 2 good linen jackets and some other clothing, was only 90 rand.

My darling was a bit nonplussed that my souvenirs from South Africa included a butter dish that one might have seen in the USA in the '60's.  :laugh:

• Like 7

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

Very nice butter dish Smithy, but we also need a butter dish and have been looking for ages for one.  And remember that Canadian butter is sold in one-pound blocks, that is the size of your entire cardboard butter box. 

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

Very nice butter dish Smithy, but we also need a butter dish and have been looking for ages for one.  And remember that Canadian butter is sold in one-pound blocks, that is the size of your entire cardboard butter box. 

I've never seen a butter dish (except a butter bell) that would accommodate that much butter at one time.  Is that a standard size in Canada?  Or do you cut the butter into smaller portions?

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

we would cut off a fat slice of butter from the original pound block so we basically need some sort of square butter dish. 

Never knew of butter bells before.  Googled them and looked at the images.  Nope.  Not suitable for us, anyway.

• Like 1

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

This one was the winner in the Cook's Illustrated test of butter dishes.  Amongst it's attributes is the ability to hold large, European-style, blocks of butter and the butter tray is removable..  Not very stylish, but certainly practical:

LnL Butter Keeper.jpg

... Shel

I've never seen a butter dish (except a butter bell) that would accommodate that much butter at one time.  Is that a standard size in Canada?  Or do you cut the butter into smaller portions?

Smithy,

Love your butter dish. Especially love its Danish Modern lines. As in the USA even we Canadians can buy butter in quarter pound sticks at least here in Ontario. It is usually a little more expensive than the butter packaged in 1 pound portions but it is readily available almost anywhere. I am always flummoxed when Darienne cannot find it. It is much more convenient for baking and for small households. If I do find myself with only a 1 pound block I simply cut it into four sticks, wrap each in parchment paper and have the same thing.

• Like 3

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Anna, I guess I could find it if I could easily pay extra for butter in my budget.  However, your  idea about cutting the block is a good one.

I'll check Wabi Sabi for an "American" style butter dish next.

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

ive always thought that 'butter was butter'  at least in terms of packaging.

not so :  

"Down Under"  ie S. of the Border

it comes two ways :

'West"  4 wrapped sticks  " Stubby "

" East "  4 wrapped stick  " slimmer "

looking for a single pound wrapped in the East would involve a lot of Motor-ing around

as my mother would have said " you need to get your head Examined "

but back to the containers :

My father had a few, and in his later life would drop them from time to time from the refirg

I found for him a heavy plastic "click-shut" single stick butter item at BB%B a long time ago.

if you have full lbs, there are some pretty nice containers at the usual places

the supper market, The Wall, the Target that are for sealing and keeping things fresh that might work.

Tupper-ware, sorry, no party involved.

I've been looking for the right butter dish for our trailer travels.  Criteria: it must be pretty, sturdy and secure enough that the lid won't come off in transit.  (Our original stainless steel dish is almost right, but the lid doesn't stay on securely.  It takes 2 rubber bands to keep the lid on in transit.) Lightweight is also a good trait.

Behold, I found something even better than I'd expected:

attachicon.gifbutter dish pieces.jpg

The butter tray comes out for easy washing, so the entire dish need not be washed regularly...a good water-saving trick.

attachicon.gifbutter dish open cropped.jpg

The lid sits securely in the base, just as I needed.  The style is a favorite, vaguely Danish Modern.

attachicon.gifbutter dish closed cropped.jpg

I found this beauty last fall in, of all places, Simon's Town, South Africa, at the local equivalent of the Sally Ann.  I think the marked price was 20 rand (something under $2) but I probably paid less: our entire bill, with 2 good linen jackets and some other clothing, was only 90 rand.

My darling was a bit nonplussed that my souvenirs from South Africa included a butter dish that one might have seen in the USA in the '60's.  :laugh:

Edited by andiesenji (log)
  • Like 1

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

we would cut off a fat slice of butter from the original pound block so we basically need some sort of square butter dish. 

Never knew of butter bells before.  Googled them and looked at the images.  Nope.  Not suitable for us, anyway.

• Like 8

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

Recently Toots and I visited a new thrift store, and I was hooked by these plates.  They'll make a nice addition to a spring-summer table.  Cost was $1.00 each ...

Plates.jpg

Plates.jpg

• Like 6

... Shel

• 3 weeks later...

Both before and after lunch yesterday Kerry Beal and I checked out the Oakville and Burlington thrift stores.

image.jpg

We did not buy this little guy but thought he would amuse you and especially amuse member JoNorvelleWalker.

image.jpg

We also found this Cambro three-part food storage container for $.99! We believe it will be very valuable to us when we travel to the Eggfests.

• Like 6

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

• 2 weeks later...

Arrived a little early at work yesterday so took a couple of minutes to drop in to the Grimsby Benevolent Association thrift store - they were having a bag sale - all the clothes you can stuff in a bag for $8 so it was a bit busy.  But did manage to lay my hands on this baby - 

IMG_0205.jpg

It's a Siemens - but they were bought out by Bosch - so the parts from my Bosch compact mixer fit on it including the stainless bowl.  The warranty card inside the manual says it was purchased in 1983 from Robinsons in Hamilton - a department store that no longer exists.  

It has a grinder attachment as well.  Cost me $8.

• Like 10

Kerry, you could have a second career...no, make that a third I think...hiring yourself out to go to second hand stores with folks.  Either your second hand stores are better than the ones up Peterpatch way or you are better at ferreting our excellent purchases.  Probably the second.  :smile:

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope.