• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

How would I make mashed cauliflower that is firm like mashed potatoes?

gfweb

I'm wondering if some modernist can suggest a way to firm-up cauliflower puree so it doesn't slump on the plate. Adding potatoes is no good because this is for a low carb person.

Edited by gfweb (log)

I've been making cauliflower "mashed potatoes" for years. I start by getting the florets into approximately equal size pieces, throwing in a couple-three-four garlic cloves, coating everything lightly with olive oil, and roasting at 400º-F until appropriately browned. Then the cauli' is pulsed in the food processor until reaching desired texture. More fat (oil, butter, whatever) can be added during the pulsing process. I don't add much ...

Edited by Shel_B (log)

... Shel

Break in to even sized florets and then nuke them for 3 mins in a Microwave, by not steaming or boiling the water content should be good for a mash that would hold, in let us say an ice-cream scoop.

Martial.2,500 Years ago:

If pale beans bubble for you in a red earthenware pot, you can often decline the dinners of sumptuous hosts.

I lot of low-carber's make cauliflower fauxtatoes.

A bit of cream cheese and a touch of xanthan are often used to thicken them up.

I like to combine them with rutabaga and a touch of xanthan.

~Martin

~Martin :)

I just don't want to look back and think "I could have eaten that."

Unsupervised, rebellious, radical agrarian experimenter, minimalist penny-pincher, and adventurous cook. Crotchety, cantankerous, terse curmudgeon, non-conformist, and contrarian who questions everything!

The best thing about a vegetable garden is all the meat you can hunt and trap out of it!

Here's my two cents

1. Baking cauliflower (or microwaving) produces a fibrous quality that ends up messing with the smoothness of the mashed cauliflower

2. Boiling cauliflower gives you a very smooth mash, but, it also adds a load of water to the equation.

It's a pain in the butt, but here's how I approach it.

1. Boil the cauliflower until a bit past fork tender.

2. Drain, and then enclose in cheesecloth, twisting and weighing down to remove the water.

3. Bake at a lowish temperature (300) oven until the cauliflower is dry, but not too brown (brown cauliflower tastes good, but looks a bit off)

4. Pulse in a food processor with cream, butter salt and pepper

If you go through all this, you'll end up with a mashed cauliflower that's stiffer than most mashed potatoes.

Great suggestions, all. Thanks

I've pureed in one of those superblenders boiled cauliflower, it is beautifully smooth, but as Scott says...too wet.

I just roasted cauliflower and mashed it as far as a food processor would take it, and as Scott says...not the smooth consistency of MPs.

A work in progress...