• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Instapot Mashed Potatoes

MaryIsobel

INSTANT POT MASHED POTATOES

yield: 6 SERVINGS prep time: 32 MINScook time: 8 MINStotal time: 40 MINS

INGREDIENTS

• 4 pounds potatoes, peeled and cut into 1-inch cubes (see note about type of potatoes)  ( Apparently I deleted the notes about the potatoes because I always use russets for mashed - I used an entire 5 lb bag)
  • 2 teaspoons coarse, kosher salt
  • 1 cup milk, preferably not skim ( I only used half this amount of milk initially and didn't end up adding more. I suppose it depends a lot on your potatoes)
  • 4 tablespoons butter, cut into tablespoon-size pieces
  • 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder (I skipped this - I think it would be good with beef or pork but just wanted traditional flavours with turkey)
  • 1/2 cup sour cream

INSTRUCTIONS 

• Add the potatoes and salt to the Instant Pot insert (6-quart). Add at least 1 1/2 cups water or enough to cover the potatoes (either way is fine). Don't exceed the max fill line.
  • Secure the lid on the Instant Pot, making sure the valve is set to "seal" and not "vent."
  • Select Manual and then dial up or down to 8 minutes. The IP will start on its own.
  • While the potatoes cook, warm the milk, butter and garlic powder in a saucepan or microwave-safe container until the butter is melted and the mixture is warm.
  • When the potatoes are done cooking, quick release the pressure. If liquid bubbles and spurts from the valve, cover loosely with a damp dishcloth while the pressure releases.
  • Drain the potatoes in a colander over the sink, discarding the cooking liquid.
  • Return the potatoes to the insert of the Instant Pot and coarsely mash.
  • Add the 2/3 of the butter/milk mixture along with the sour cream, and mash until the potatoes are the desired texture, as smooth or as chunky as you like, adding more of the remaining milk/butter mixture if you want creamier, less stiff mashed potatoes (I usually add it all).
  • Add salt and pepper to taste.
  • Serve immediately OR return the insert to the Instant Pot, secure the lid, and select Keep Warm. The potatoes can stay on this setting for up to three hours. (I held mine closer to 4 hours)
  • When ready to serve, give the potatoes a good stir and a drizzle of warm milk, if needed.

NOTES

Instant Pot: I buy potatoes in bulk (I do live in Idaho after all), so I always weigh out the 4 pounds (or 8 pounds if using my 8-quart Instant Pot) for this recipe, but you should be able to fit in a commonly sold 5-pound bag of potatoes into the 6-quart Instant Pot, as long as the max fill line isn't exceeded after water is added. Just increase the milk/butter/sour cream/garlic powder a smudge to account for the extra pound.

©Mel's Kitchen Cafe — https://www.melskitchencafe.com/life-changing-instant-pot-mashed-potatoes/

Edited by MaryIsobel (log)
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1