• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cheese (2008– )

gariotin

@ToliverNot really. Or if it did, it wasn't obvious at all. They say they use a saison/ sour beer from Liberty Brewery for that purpose. I think if it contributes flavor, it's more there as general "funk" than an actual beer flavor.

9 minutes ago, FrogPrincesse said:

@ToliverNot really. Or if it did, it wasn't obvious at all. They say they use a saison/ sour beer from Liberty Brewery for that purpose. I think if it contributes flavor, it's more there as general "funk" than an actual beer flavor.

Thanks for the info. There aren't many cheese options/varieties in my local grocery stores. I nearly fainted when I saw that my local Albertson's began carrying myzithra cheese. My monthly trip to Trader Joe's is a Disneyland of cheese choices in comparison. I'm always on the lookout for something new or interesting.

Thanks again.

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

My newly-opened Kroger -- one of the big upscale models -- has a great (for small-town South) cheese section. I've been getting fresh buffalo mozzarella, and Rogue River blue, St. Andre, and more kinds of cheddar and gouda and Swiss than you can shake a stick at. 

• Like 1

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

@ToliverYou are very welcome. I know what you mean.  TJ's has a very solid cheese selection. The "affinage" (ripening) isn't always perfect, but they have a great variety and very reasonable prices. I buy stuff from various cheese shops once in a while for things I can't get there (at double/triple the price), but always come back to TJ's for the essentials (cave-aged gruyere, Parmigiano, Roquefort, Petit Basque, feta, etc, etc).

• Like 1

In my fridge at the moment, some Snowdonia Cheese Company Black Bomber (very sharp aged cheddar style cheese), half a Ludlow Food Centre's Cheese with no Name (soft cheese similar to Brie), some aged feta, some Comte, some buffalo mozzarella, home made ricotta, and a couple of bags of pre-grated cheddar for lazy cheese on toast and chucking in pea and ham soup. :)

1 hour ago, kayb said:

My newly-opened Kroger -- one of the big upscale models -- has a great (for small-town South) cheese section. I've been getting fresh buffalo mozzarella, and Rogue River blue, St. Andre, and more kinds of cheddar and gouda and Swiss than you can shake a stick at. 

How do you like Rogue River blue compared to other blue cheeses? Is it on the milder side like Bleu de Bresse for example? (I like all kinds; I am just trying to figure out what it's like.)

I've been buying Fiore Sardo, the Sardinian sheep milk cheese, for years now. It's always seemed like a very versatile cheese, especially to travel with, as it keeps well in a not-so-cold cooler, can be eaten sliced on a cracker, but it is firm and aged enough to grate for soups or pasta.

Yesterday I was in a hurry and grabbed a wedge without reading the label carefully. Turns out it said Fiore Sardo Aged, which is not what it usually says. I don't remember ever eating this cheese before. The rind is rather gray, and smells smoky, like bacon or a campfire. It's very hard, and the paste is a little darker or browner than typically. I always thought Fiore Sardo was aged cheese, but this cheese must be aged to a fare-thee-well. It's so hard that when we grated it over hot soup it didn't dissolve or melt at all. If I were going to make mac & cheese (which I no longer do) I might use some of this to turn it into campfire nostalgia food; I assume that baking it would melt it, but who knows. Has anyone else had this cheese? 

• 3 months later...

I haven't looked at this thread at all until today because I have become enlightened about Parmesan cheese aging.  

I was reading the "larder" portion of The Del Posto cookbook about the different ages of Parmesan........NOW I understand.......a couple of years ago we were in Oregon or perhaps it was Washington state and had a wonderful dinner at a small family run Italian restaurant.  Everything we had was exception including the grated Parmesan they served.  I just could not get over how good it was, like no other Parmesan I had ever had.....I put it down to how fresh and moist it was.  But now I think I was served an aged Parmesan.

So, if you don't already know this there are four ages with different names, from Del Posto:

Giovane is a minimum of 12 months
Vecchio is more than 24 months
Stravecchio is minimum of 36 months
Stravecchione is extra mature at least 48 months

I am going to try and track some of these ages down but I'm not that hopeful seeing we live in the sticks :=((

Has anyone experience with these ages?

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Okanagancook said:

I haven't looked at this thread at all until today because I have become enlightened about Parmesan cheese aging.  

I was reading the "larder" portion of The Del Posto cookbook about the different ages of Parmesan........NOW I understand.......a couple of years ago we were in Oregon or perhaps it was Washington state and had a wonderful dinner at a small family run Italian restaurant.  Everything we had was exception including the grated Parmesan they served.  I just could not get over how good it was, like no other Parmesan I had ever had.....I put it down to how fresh and moist it was.  But now I think I was served an aged Parmesan.

So, if you don't already know this there are four ages with different names, from Del Posto:

Giovane is a minimum of 12 months
Vecchio is more than 24 months
Stravecchio is minimum of 36 months
Stravecchione is extra mature at least 48 months

I am going to try and track some of these ages down but I'm not that hopeful seeing we live in the sticks :=((

Has anyone experience with these ages?

I have. Trader Joe's sells both the Vecchio and the Stravecchio. I prefer the latter.

And I've tried them all while in Italy, but my preferences depended on the type of milk/cow (red cow), season, rather than just the age of the cheese. 

Here is a good article explaining the differences.

http://www.nytimes.com/2000/07/26/dining/to-every-parmigiano-a-season.html

Edited by FrogPrincesse (log)

Thanks FP!  Very interesting indeed especially the X on inferior cheese wheels......wonder what Costco sells?  Their prices are stupidly low.

I am sure I have no hope of tasting different Parmesan cheeses around here but I will make a note for future travels.  I love Parmesan cheese.  Maybe I will see if I can buy some online.

cheers

I don't know if igourmet ships to Canada but they usually have a good selection of cheeses.  We have bought from them several times, not just cheese and never been disappointed.  Be warned, once you start an order, you just keep finding more and more goodies to add to it.:D

17 minutes ago, Okanagancook said:

Thanks FP!  Very interesting indeed especially the X on inferior cheese wheels......wonder what Costco sells?  Their prices are stupidly low.

I am sure I have no hope of tasting different Parmesan cheeses around here but I will make a note for future travels.  I love Parmesan cheese.  Maybe I will see if I can buy some online.

cheers

My Costco sells Stravecchio, and I find that it's in better condition than the one from TJ's, which often tastes moldy close to the rind. But of course you have to buy a much larger piece!

• 1 month later...

I've decided to take more of an interest in cheese this year, and enjoy as many of the 300+ cheeses this country produces as possible.

Here's a couple from last night:

20170115_120416.jpg

Sainte Maure on the left, Bleu de Termignon on the right.

The Sainte Maure was fine, fairly typical of a Loire goat's cheese.  The blue was fantastic.  Very fruity, almost floral, and pretty rich.

And this to accompany them :)

20170115_115749.jpg

• Like 7

I am almost ashamed to post this after @jmacnaughtan's fantastic looking cheeses, but while I was waiting for my tire installation at Costco I discovered my store is now stocking Sartori Raspberry BellaVitano for $7 or $8 a pound.  I think I paid about twice that last time I purchased it.  They have had the merlot variety for some time and it is good, but I greatly prefer this one.  As is often the case, I ended up in a line of huge carts full of food while checking out with one item.  I almost always get a comment or a look from the person checking me out when I have just one small item.

Edited by rustwood (log)
  • Like 4

13 hours ago, rustwood said:

@jmacnaughtan goat cheeses are hit and miss with me (largely miss), but I am hard pressed not to enjoy any blue nor amarone.  Wish I was there!

They worked very well together :)

Interestingly, it turns out that all of the goat's cheeses from the Loire actually originated from the Moorish conquests in Spain and France, when they brought their goats and expertise up from North Africa.

20 hours ago, jmacnaughtan said:

Sainte Maure on the left, Bleu de Termignon on the right.

The Sainte Maure was fine, fairly typical of a Loire goat's cheese.  The blue was fantastic.  Very fruity, almost floral, and pretty rich.

And this to accompany them :)

You are brave to pair French cheese with Italian wine. Wars have been fought over less, You are risking deportation at best...

9_9

• Like 1

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

30 minutes ago, liuzhou said:

You are brave to pair French cheese with Italian wine. Wars have been fought over less, You are risking deportation at best...

9_9

Haha, I thought I'd try something exotic.  Needless to say, it is rather unusual to drink any non-French wine here at all (unless you go to the hipster bars in the Marais, who like to be edgy by serving English cheese and natural American wines)...

Edited by jmacnaughtan (log)

This is a Langres I picked up yesterday.

Langres.jpg

It's a cow's milk cheese from Champagne.  Apparently, it's traditional to pour champagne or brandy into the little concavity at the top :)

It was milder than I expected.  A bit like an Epoisses, but less so.  I think that it may have been a little young.

• Like 1