• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create an account.

punk patissier

Chocolates with that Showroom Finish, 2012 –

Jim D.   

I have discovered that, when sprayed on, red cocoa butter does not show up as expected on dark chocolate. If you finger-paint red (and thus get a thicker coat), it is closer to looking red. The only solution I have found for the spray-painting issue is to add a layer of white on top of the red; then the red looks right. Learning about how the various colors behave has been a challenge. White and yellow (contrary to expectations) are closer to opaque, whereas dark green and red get muddied. Orange works well, as do light green and light blue.

31 minutes ago, Jim D. said:

I have discovered that, when sprayed on, red cocoa butter does not show up as expected on dark chocolate. If you finger-paint red (and thus get a thicker coat), it is closer to looking red. The only solution I have found for the spray-painting issue is to add a layer of white on top of the red; then the red looks right. Learning about how the various colors behave has been a challenge. White and yellow (contrary to expectations) are closer to opaque, whereas dark green and red get muddied. Orange works well, as do light green and light blue.

Worth seeing if you can find some pictures that @Chocolot did a while back - she sprayed the same colours onto molds then molded with white and with dark and you wouldn't have known they were the same colors.

38 minutes ago, Jim D. said:

You can also mix in a little milk or white chocolate to make the CB thicker and more opaque, like the red on these cacao pods - finger painted in but shows up decently.  I've definitely experienced thinner layers of red all but disappearing on dark chocolate.  The white (Chef Rubber white diamond) was also mixed with more white chocolate (callebaut zephyr).  These are 60% dark shells.

IMG_6296.thumb.JPG.e2620f2ffebfc83ceb60fe269a598481.JPG

• Like 2

Tri2Cook   

@Bentley I think the red on those looks awesome. I realize that doesn't count for much if it's not what you want but it really does look nice.

• Like 1

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

Chocolot   
2 hours ago, Kerry Beal said:

Worth seeing if you can find some pictures that @Chocolot did a while back - she sprayed the same colours onto molds then molded with white and with dark and you wouldn't have known they were the same colors.

I found this photo from 2011. I sprayed all the molds the same. Yellow and pink. Some I shelled in white chocolate, some in dark. It was interesting to notice the color change with the shelling chocolate.IMG_0547.thumb.JPG.8b6fbbc7c5a94885f64d2db2c5230893.JPG

• Like 4

Ruth Kendrick

Chocolot
Artisan Chocolates and Toffees
www.chocolot.com

Bentley   

Really interesting picture, @Chocolot!  Under the red, I did finger swirls of white to try the technique referred to in my other thread about the A519 bonbon (the "How do they do that" thread).  I didn't get the results I was after.  Perhaps my layer of red was too thick.  As it is, the red doesn't look bad -just not what I had in mind - and if the green showed up, it would be satisfactory.  Next time I try these, I think I will backspray the entire tray with white just to make the colors pop.  

Edited by Bentley (log)

1 hour ago, Bentley said:

Really interesting picture, @Chocolot!  Under the red, I did finger swirls of white to try the technique referred to in my other thread about the A519 bonbon (the "How do they do that" thread).  I didn't get the results I was after.  Perhaps my layer of red was too thick.  As it is, the red doesn't look bad -just not what I had in mind - and if the green showed up, it would be satisfactory.  Next time I try these, I think I will backspray the entire tray with white just to make the colors pop.  

Is the red you are using transparent? 

Bentley   
24 minutes ago, Kerry Beal said:

Is the red you are using transparent? 

I guess not.  It's Chef Rubber's cardinal red with a little ruby red mixed in.

Which CCBs are transparent?

3 hours ago, Bentley said:

I guess not.  It's Chef Rubber's cardinal red with a little ruby red mixed in.

Which CCBs are transparent?

I'm having trouble figuring out if they still sell them. I used to have a whole lot of bottles of their older colors - but they were lost in the overheated warmer incident at the Niagara workshop in 2013. For some reason I think they might have been called classic.

RobertM   

I was at there for the incident....it was horrible, but, the professionals in us pulled together and moved on......

for those reading this, do not try these experiments at home, leave it to the Pros

Edited by RobertM (log)
  • Like 3

• Similar Content

• By boombonniewhale
      Hello! I was wondering if anyone on here has tried using an induction cooktop with confection making (caramels, fondant, marshmallows ect...). My stove has literally three settings, and the low setting still burns sugar and there is no such thing as maintaining any sort of "simmer". I was looking into getting a cooktop and buying some copper sugar pots and mauviel makes this thing that goes inbetween. I would love to hear any input into this idea or your experiences!

~Sarah
    • By ChristysConfections
      Hi All,

I think this is a long shot, but I'll put it out there. I'm wondering if anyone in the Greater Vancouver area has an EZ Temper that they would be willing and able to loan/rent out for a couple days or up to a week? I am super curious to try it out and if the results are as wonderful as I expect I'm hoping I can find it in the business budget.  

Feel free to message me privately.

• By Choky
      After searching this one and other forums I found a number of reasons / solutions for release marks:

1 - mold should be cold and go right away to fridge
      2 - mold should be cold and only go to fridge after beginning of crystallization
      3 - mold should be heated
      4 - because of over crystallization
      6 - not professional molds (too much flex)
      5 - use cooling tunnel instead of fridge so that mold is cooled gradually

I'm having trouble with release marks, as seen in the photo:

I've tried numbers 1, 2 and 3 above without success, number 4 I'm not sure how to control, number 5 is not the cause as I'm using professional molds and number 6 is not an investment that I can do right now.

Any help would be appreciated!
    • By Choky
      Can a chocolate have 2 possible tempering settings?
      For example, using a continuous tempering machine, it can be tempered at 49ºC / 32ºC, but eventually also at 54ºC / 34ºC ?

Thanks in advance!
    • By ChristysConfections
      Hello Fellow Chocolatiers!

I am working on calculated appropriate prices for my handmade chocolates. It's absolutely shocking that after 10 years of making chocolates, I never really dared to delve into the nitty-gritty cost of goods. And when I worked at a chocolate shop that was never a concern placed on my plate.

So, I have attemped (with my horrible lack of excel spreadsheet skills) to figure out my cost of goods (including labor and packaging). Somehow, I must be doing something terribly wrong, as my costs worked out to be about $1.50 to make ONE PIECE. That seems outrageous! Granted, that did include using locally made bean-to-bar chocolate from a small producer. My business-partner-to-be is helping me sort it out (thankful that she and excel have a much better relationship). However, I need some information that is don't have at the moment and thought you guys might be able to help fill in the gaps.

1. For the sake of comparison, with cost of ingredients and labour (no packaging) how much does is cost you to produce one chocolate?

2. For those that make the fairly standard 22.5mm square enrobed chocolates, are you able to tell me how much and individual ganache square weighs pre-enrobing? How about post-enrobing? I know how much my ganache cost, but I don't know how many grams per piece to allot for the enrobed chocolate coating. And I am not in production right now so I can't test it out. If you can share it would be so helpful.

ETA: can anyone tell me the same for one of their molded chocolates?

Obviously there are variables like the height of the ganache and the size of the mould, but at least it would give me an idea. 

many thanks!
      Christy