• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Chocolate mousse on water+chocolate (Heston's)

Rasmus

I wonder if someone has experimented with Heston Blumenthal's recipe for chocolate mousse, where he only uses chocolate and water? I have using various types of liquids, such as millk, milk+whiskey, water+whiskey and variations in water to chocolate ratio. But I want to understand the importance of the whisking after the ice bath. I don't do it, and maybe because I use less liquid to chocolate ratio so it isn't needed. But I wonder if it serves another purpose such as making it more airy... Anyone?

I've made chocolate chantilly a few times and thought it was quite good.

I'm curious why you don't whisk it into a foam, though, as that airiness is what makes it a mousse. You seem to be making a water ganache instead.

You may have seen these already, but this and this contain more information. 👍

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Rasmus said:

How would you say is a chantilly different from a mousse?

Hmmm, good question. I'm not sure. To me, a mousse contains eggs in some form.

In this particular instance, Hervé This' original description of 'chocolate chantilly' seems correct. I think Heston called it a mousse because, as well as the mousse-like texture, English-speakers would know the term, whereas chantilly is a little less familiar.

• Like 1