• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Chocolates with that Showroom Finish, 2012 –

punk patissier

[Manager note: Follow this conversation from the begining at Chocolates with that showroom finish, 2004 - 2011]

heard somewhere that the higher the % of cocoa in a chocolate then the thicker it is when in temper? is this true? it might explain things a little when im trying to temper the chocolate at work. Also, whats a good precise thermometer to use for tempering

thanks

• 3 weeks later...

After years of watching all of your incredible creations, and then observing all the flaws in my own, I finally have an entry for this topic. As mentioned on my foodblog, these are filled with Wybauw's "Toscana" ganache (which is superb, by the way):

Finished chocolates 1.jpg

Nice!

here are my first few attempts, im a pastry chef in a pub in london and the customers seem to love them. Any comments/criticisms would be graciously recieved. I hope to get some more molds soon and also want to start experimenting with other colours. Can anyone tell me what the pearl colours from Chef rubber are like?

chocy.jpg

coccy.jpg

choc.jpg

• Like 2
  • Delicious 1

Stu,

You've got some really nice effects there.

Hard to describe the pearl colours - they are kind of half way between the 'flat' regular colours and the jewel which are really sparkly. I went digging back through this whole thread trying to find some definite examples - I think that Tammy's post #298 here shows the pearl in the blue hue and the jewel in the purple. I think the green in Chris's post above looks like it's pearl as well.

here are my first few attempts, im a pastry chef in a pub in london and the customers seem to love them. Any comments/criticisms would be graciously recieved. I hope to get some more molds soon and also want to start experimenting with other colours. Can anyone tell me what the pearl colours from Chef rubber are like?

Im particularly enchanted by the blue and yellow ones. Would you mind saying a bit about the flavours? I always like knowing what's on the inside, too.

Michaela, aka "Mjx"
Manager, eG Forums
mscioscia@egstaff.org

Stu,

You've got some really nice effects there.

Hard to describe the pearl colours - they are kind of half way between the 'flat' regular colours and the jewel which are really sparkly. I went digging back through this whole thread trying to find some definite examples - I think that Tammy's post #298 here shows the pearl in the blue hue and the jewel in the purple. I think the green in Chris's post above looks like it's pearl as well.

I would also be curious to hear a description of your technique for achieving that particular decoration.

Steve Lebowitz

Doer of All Things

Steven Howard Confections

Slicing a warm slab of bacon is a lot like giving a ferret a shave. No matter how careful you are, somebody's going to get hurt - Alton Brown, "Good Eats"

the flavours are still very experimental right now as in still learning about various ganache techniques and methods but they are

Mulled Wine

Praline

Passion fruit

Rosemary and honey

Coffee and baileys

Caramel.

They all came out pretty tasty and my girlfriend seemed very happy when she recieved her valentines gift

Thanks

Stu

• Like 1

Thankyou Kerry, your compliments are greatly appreciated.

i had a look on the chef rubber site, they managed to make them look amazing which is why i wanted to get a few to try out. Can you recommend them or are they not worth bothering with. All the best, Stewart

The Chef Rubber colours are great - they provide us with some every year for our chocolate conference and we've had great results with them. Tomric also carries their product - but labelled with Tomric's label. Cost is the same either way.

• 2 weeks later...

I received some new heart molds I ordered from JB Prince. After wiping them out I made a champagne gananche to fill dark chocolate shells. They came out pretty shiny. No cocoa butter, just straight chocolate.

champagne hearts.jpg

Steve Lebowitz

Doer of All Things

Steven Howard Confections

Slicing a warm slab of bacon is a lot like giving a ferret a shave. No matter how careful you are, somebody's going to get hurt - Alton Brown, "Good Eats"

Looking forward to tasting, they are gorgeous!!

I'm glad I saw your post. It reminds me that I need to pick up some ingredients on the way home from work this afternoon. I'm going with something much simpler, apple pie caramels (apple and cinnamon flavored caramel). One batch dipped in chocolate, one plain.

Maybe I will be able to manage something that pretty after the conference. Right now, not so much.

Jess

Everybody's chocolates look so nice - mine look like dog's breakfast - still on the upslope of the enrober learning curve!

Dear Chocolate Doctor,

If your chocolates look like a dog's breakfast...and I make two of the real thing every morning and sometimes they look pretty gut-wrenching...I can't imagine what my chocolates look like. (Note that I never post photos of finished chocolates. :raz: )

Yours truly,

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

Kerry, I've seen and tasted your chocolates, and they most definitely do NOT look like a dog's breakfast. They look great, and taste delicious, from what I recall! :smile:

Chris, and Robert, your work is amazing! Robert, I am looking forward to finding out what the flavours are, I'm definitely intrigued.

Chris, may I ask where you purchased the dome mold? JBPrince, perchance?

Edited by DianaM (log)