• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Confections! What did we make? (2012 – 2014)

Chris Hennes

IMG_1123.jpg

In the middle of easter production - today made two batches of Nightscotsman's Strawberry Marshmallows.  I'm going to find an egg shaped cutter and perhaps a bunny shaped one.  This is as a special request for one of the women who works at the Men's Mission where I run a clinic once a week.  They also want the 'special bunnies' (aka the f…king bunnies) so I have a batch of those on the go.

I made 3-750 grams bottles of peanut butter into egg filling last night and will fill what I can with that today.  Also making some of Chocolot's cream fondant filling for more eggs (I make it the lazy way - cooking to temperature then adding commercial fondant and marshmallow fluff - avoids having to manipulate it to get crystallization).  

IMG_1116.jpg

• Like 3

Kerry, how do you get the filling into the eggs? Melt a tiny hole, pipe, and re-seal, or something else? I recently bought some hollow egg molds, I did a trial run on the molding, which came out fine, now I'd like to tackle filling. Thanks!

• Like 1

Couple of ways depending on the egg - but mostly I mold a shell, fill it and back it off.  Most of the eggs I make are halves so it's not really an issue. 

If I want to make a whole egg then I need to put a thin layer of very warm chocolate between the two filled molds and press together quickly.  Doesn't always work as it should!

I'll often make two halves them package them together as if they were a whole egg.  

• Like 1

1926638_462021670592379_1022789545_n.jpg

1966833_462021690592377_708372639_n.jpg

A few last minute things for the market this coming weekend, I had the chocolate ready to go for another project so thought I might as well put some things out that will make a few extra dollars :D

• Like 2

A few last minute things for the market this coming weekend, I had the chocolate ready to go for another project so thought I might as well put some things out that will make a few extra dollars :D

Very nice bunnies and chickens. Which chicken mould is that?

Couple of ways depending on the egg - but mostly I mold a shell, fill it and back it off.  Most of the eggs I make are halves so it's not really an issue. 

If I want to make a whole egg then I need to put a thin layer of very warm chocolate between the two filled molds and press together quickly.  Doesn't always work as it should!

I'll often make two halves them package them together as if they were a whole egg.

Shoot, I have these molds, no halves about it. - http://www.jbprince.com/chocolate-and-sugarwork/egg-12-cavitiesities-1-piece.asp Oh well.

Edited by pastrygirl (log)

1796529_652699898136179_746242014_n.jpg

I went to my dentist and took these candy dentures that I made and had them in a ziplock bag. I told them there was a problem with them!!!  I told him they had a hole in the roof of them. They thought they were real for a minute or two. Got a good laugh from it and they took a picture and texted it to someone else!!

• Like 1

Stressed spelled backwards is DESSERTS!!

Shoot, I have these molds, no halves about it. - http://www.jbprince.com/chocolate-and-sugarwork/egg-12-cavitiesities-1-piece.asp Oh well.

Yeah - a little further reading - those have the lips and bumps that make them impossible to scrape - so hollow is about your only option.  

Yeah - a little further reading - those have the lips and bumps that make them impossible to scrape - so hollow is about your only option.

Yes. I got two pairs, so I can make complete hollow eggs, was hoping to fill them. I'll play around.

Cute! Those bunny molds are on my wish list.

I love those bunnies and chickens - I'm too chicken (!) to  put the 2 halves of the molds together and always give out flat backed bunnies and eggs at Easter time! Love everything else posted also!

A friend just bought the mini Rev tempering machine and wanted me to give him a demo with my old Rev 2. I brought mine over and we had dueling machines and made turtles and some other stuff with his wife's wonderful homemade caramel. They just invested in that huge mat (for fondant) and it worked great for laying out the chocolates.

Thanks for looking!

Ruth

turtles.jpg

• Like 2

I enjoy the quick and easy one since my children have cravings very often; however I avoid excess.

The last one I prepare were : - Butter pecan fudge

- Maple candy

- Caramel nut candy

I sometimes make classic candy but the children prefer chocolates like the one in the picture.

• 2 weeks later...

Easter fun for the kidlets. Had to make them in secret, ie. in the dead of night so they have no idea what they're getting... I'm really looking forward to seeing what they think. For a sense of scale, the large egg that makes the body of each figure is 15cm (6 inches) long. My wife thinks they're far too big, particularly when one of them is for a two yr old :D Too bad, you, I said to her :P

The head and body of each are filled with home-made freckles. Because, you know, too much chocolate is never enough :P

1511379_473960489398497_7592039631417643

10273904_473960576065155_134505724862096

1897687_473960649398481_5688120428786384

1002689_473960722731807_7590350270738095

• Like 8

What did we make? What didn't I make! I created a pop-up chocolate shop today, having produced many delights over the past several days, here's the menu:

Chocolate Bars

Solid, with fillings or inclusions

Caramelized white, almonds, salt

Caramelized white, cashew gianduja

Milk chocolate & pretzel

Dark chocolate & toasted coconut

Dark chocolate & cacao nib brittle

Caramels – box of 6

Salty

Vanilla bean & honey

Espresso

Maple syrup & pepper

Apple cider

Truffles – box of 12

Dark chocolate salty caramel

Milk chocolate salted peanut butter crisp

Dark chocolate, mandarin orange & cointreau

Dark chocolate, hazelnut & frangelico

Chocolate covered nuts

Caramelized almonds, coated in chocolate & cocoa

Macarons

3 French almond cookies with butter cream or ganache

Pate de fruits – box of 12

Raspberry - key lime

Pear – passion fruit

Chocolate Rabbits

Dark or milk, solid with inclusions

-hazelnut

-almonds & smoked salt

-pistachio & candied orange

-rice krispies

-candied orange & grapefruit zests

Bonbons

Molded chocolates with a solid shell and ganache filling

dark chocolate with

-salted 38% milk chocolate caramel ganache

-white chocolate toasted coconut ganache

-68% & vanilla gaanche

-49% & rosemary caramel ganache

-white chocolate passion fruit ganache

It was a lot of work, but fun and I'm happy with the sales and response. I'm looking for excuses to do it again soon. Maybe Mothers day... I'll see if I can post photos from my phone.

• Like 3