• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Your most disliked trend in the food industry.

PSmith

No ice in the water glass. I've started noticing this trend quite a bit over the past few years...refrigerated bottles of tap water, but no ice. It's easy enough to ask for it, so I don't get too emotionally involved, but unless there are some compelling non-alcoholic beverage choices I stick with water. During a 2-3 hour meal it's nice to have a cold and refreshing sip at the ready.

Ummm....a goodly number of restaurants and public kitchens don't clean their ice machines regularly. If you had ever seen how dirty and bacteria-ridden those ice machines can be you would gratefully accept the chilled bottled water. :)

Ummm...no I wouldn't gladly accept it. They can clean their ice maker like everything else.

Edited by gfweb (log)

• 2 months later...

Oh jeez, folks, there's only one answer: frikken' KALE.

I am with you there. Where I grew up, kale was used as a cattle feed.

I am starting to dislike "Kitchen tables". It has pretentious and band wagon written all over it. Oh and "tasting menu".

http://www.thecriticalcouple.co.uk

Latest blog post - Oh my - someone needs a spell checker

How can you dislike tasting menus? They're expensive, but what's not to like about having a restaurant bring you plate after plate of their chef's best?

Because you often aren't getting dishes that are well rounded, and you don't get the same nuanced harmonies when everything is a bite and a half. I don't hate them, but there is a lot to question about how and what they really display about the food. Of course, a bigger problem is that they are a main component of the shift in fine dining away from the enjoyment of your friends and family accompanied by excellent food toward the wow factor presented by a prima donna chef while you are accompanied by your iPhone or table tripod. Wine pairings are even worse, with all of that "service" who has time to enjoy their fellow diners.

How can you dislike tasting menus? They're expensive, but what's not to like about having a restaurant bring you plate after plate of their chef's best?

Because you often aren't getting dishes that are well rounded, and you don't get the same nuanced harmonies when everything is a bite and a half. I don't hate them, but there is a lot to question about how and what they really display about the food. Of course, a bigger problem is that they are a main component of the shift in fine dining away from the enjoyment of your friends and family accompanied by excellent food toward the wow factor presented by a prima donna chef while you are accompanied by your iPhone or table tripod. Wine pairings are even worse, with all of that "service" who has time to enjoy their fellow diners.

I don't know what tasting menus you have but mine normally last 3-6 hours and there is plenty of time to enjoy fellow diners. In addition, the food is often much more creative than your regular menu and it si nice to try food from great chefs without any limits for their creativity. Many chefs mentioned that they highly enjoy these types of "true" tasting menus (everything off-menu etc) which pretty much give them a carte blanche and all creative freedom.

I'm tragically unhip when it comes to tasting menus. While I am willing to dedicate 2-3 hours to dine at a Spanish or French restaurant, that's my limit before I have to get out of there. It is not necessarily a reflection of the chef, it is that I can't stand sitting in one place for that long before my mind starts wondering to the other things I could be doing.

• Like 1

Sounds like you've just been going to bad restaurants. Tasting menus aren't inherently any less or more "well rounded" than a la carte - if it's a good chef anything they put out will be "well rounded." It also sounds like you and your company are much too preoccupied by your food. Once again, at any establishment I've been to the tasting menu plates don't have any more "wow" factor than a la carte items.

Sounds like you have some built up resentment - "iPhones and table tripods." That really has nothing to do with the food, restaurant, or menu and you are simply stereotyping.

The joy in a tasting menu is going with good company and having the chef bring out his best food in a well balanced manner. You don't have to be bogged down by reading a long menu, or weighing your options. I would argue it's a more social experience under the right circumstances, although admittedly I've only been to a few (which I enjoyed thoroughly).

Exactly. I also really hate the emphasis on over presentation. Sure it has got to look appetising, but I don't really need to be eating a work of art. Often so much fannying around has taken place, the food has cooled to an unpalatable temperature. Plus I don't think I really get the full benefit of the flavour of something with a couple of mouthfuls. My stomach doesn't like them either. I feel like nipping out for a sneaky Burger King after nibbling on the first few courses.

Personally, I was quite glad to see the demise of tall food. If you have to knock it over to eat it, it destroys the whole effect of the dish.

And for Pete's sake! I like powdered sugar on dessert soufflés. So STFU about the Meyer lemons and the free-range eggs and the solar-powered bake ovens (okay, I made that one up) and just bring me a soufflé with powdered sugar on it and mutter "Philistine" on your way back to the kitchen.

Apropos of powdered sugar, what's the deal with doughnuts that are simply dredged in the stuff?! Just try eating one of those in a high wind while wearing a black coat! This is definitely something that needs to be cut back on, unless they're trying to conceal footprints on the damn things.

Michaela, aka "Mjx"
Manager, eG Forums
mscioscia@egstaff.org

That's a good question, Michaela. I never order them for that very reason.

On baked goods, thank goodness the cupcake craze is dying. I'm not five, thank you. I can handle a slice of cake.

It's bad enough that servers are practically doing a version of interpretive dance while reciting the menu (which I am quite capable of reading, thank you) and the special and the sommelier faffing over the wine choices, I don't need to have the chef now "telling me a story" through the food.

I'm going out to eat a meal and perhaps go to the theatre, not both in one place.

Apropos of powdered sugar, what's the deal with doughnuts that are simply dredged in the stuff?! Just try eating one of those in a high wind while wearing a black coat! This is definitely something that needs to be cut back on, unless they're trying to conceal footprints on the damn things.

That's half the fun in them - when you are a kid... or when you give them to your friends' kids.

It's almost never bad to feed someone.

That's half the fun in them - when you are a kid... or when you give them to your friends' kids.

Yeh, but once you're adult, you tend not to get a pass, when the front of your coat (and your face, including your glasses, and back to your ears) are abundantly dusted with white powder :blink:

Michaela, aka "Mjx"
Manager, eG Forums
mscioscia@egstaff.org

*sigh* I get so frustrated when I come on eG and find a new thread that I should have been participating in for months! lol

That being said there has been a lot of excellent discourse in this thread. I was introduced to many viewpoints the last half hour or so as I read through it. ;)

But for me? My most disliked trend in the food industry is somewhat of an American thing, namely, speed. The speed at which diners expect food ready, the speed at which many restaurants bring you food, and the absolutely unseemly haste of the food's consumption.

First, I blame the diners. It seems that a meal out is no longer something we as Americans are willing to wait for. We are paying, we are hungry, and we want it yesterday. I acknowledge that this is not a fine-dining issue, but it is for most restaurants that are affordable to the masses.

Second, I blame the restaurants. I've worked in a fairly large cross section of restaurants, and I understand that the faster the food goes out, the more money there is to be made. When guests get food quickly, they can be checked out and their table ready for the next paying customer. "Turn 'Em and Burn 'Em!" as the saying goes. I hate this.

Third, I blame diners and restaurants feeding off of one another's haste. People want their food delivered RIGHT AWAY. Restaurants deliver because it pays. Then there is an almost orgy-like synergy of one feeding off of the other. I like(as you would guess) to eat slowly and savor my meal. Even I have been goaded into hurrying on my salad, or simply not finishing my salad because the main course has arrived within 2 minutes of the salads being served...! Or as I saw mentioned in this thread, wait staff removing dishes that are in no ones way, and are in fact being finished...just slowly.

If all of this was just confined to chain restaurants catering to the middle class, I suppose I could shrug my shoulders and bear it. The problem is that because speedy service and eating are so wide spread, it spills over. I recently, working as a volunteer for a non-profit, catered a 6 course meal for a black tie charity event. We had an average of 10-15 minutes/per course, and approx. 4 oz of food per course. This was much faster than I wished to serve it, but too many guests would not savor the dish. Instead they would simply raise the plate, and push the quarter pound of food directly into their ravenous gullets. To be fair many ate slowly and enjoyed...but also likely felt rushed.

I don't have a cure for this but I for one have chosen to sit and appreciate the food put in front of me, to the best of my abilities and damn the time it may take.

End rant.

Do or do not. There is no try.

-Yoda

I find in Germany there is a good mix between food coming in a reasonable time, waiting a little longer, or having it 'rushed'. You can often tell which it will be by the type of food being served - although Italian restaurants can be any of the three.

What I don't like is in the other direction from Eric - having to wait when I want to pay and leave. I find so often that I can't get anyone's attention, and then I have to wait a long time for them to print and bring the bill, then wait again until they return to accept payment.

Good rant Ericpo - I noticed the same recently at a hotel. The service seemed to increase in speed when the hotel was fully occupied. To the extent that we had eaten two courses in 45 minutes after taking our seats - which is a bit rapid for my liking. The next night it was three courses in 90 minutes. Much better pace, but the hotel was only half full.

If I ever phone a restaurant to make a booking and they say they need a table vacated by a certain time (does happen occasionally in London), then I find somewhere else. I want to know I have the table for the whole evening when I eat out. Just in case the company is worthy of liqueurs. If I am having a really good time with my other dining companions, then the option to extend for another hour or so, should be available (without overstaying).

Additionally, I like to leave a bit of a gap between my main course and dessert. I do like it when a server clears the main course plates and asks if we would like to see the dessert menu now or wait a bit.

Yelp.

Oh my! I hadn't been on the Yelp site until you mentioned it. It is truly horrid. I must admit that I do read Trip advisor when booking hotels and I have also reviewed hotels - but only when the service has exceeded my expectation. I cannot bring myself to write a negative review, even if the experience had been disastrous. Everyone has off days and I might have just picked one of those days for my visit.

My most recent blog post covers some of the clichéd terms used by amateur bloggers. Yelp seems full of them.

Plus anything that encourages people to take copious photographs in a restaurant should be banned.

Good rant Ericpo - I noticed the same recently at a hotel. The service seemed to increase in speed when the hotel was fully occupied. To the extent that we had eaten two courses in 45 minutes after taking our seats - which is a bit rapid for my liking. The next night it was three courses in 90 minutes. Much better pace, but the hotel was only half full.

If I ever phone a restaurant to make a booking and they say they need a table vacated by a certain time (does happen occasionally in London), then I find somewhere else. I want to know I have the table for the whole evening when I eat out. Just in case the company is worthy of liqueurs. If I am having a really good time with my other dining companions, then the option to extend for another hour or so, should be available (without overstaying).

Additionally, I like to leave a bit of a gap between my main course and dessert. I do like it when a server clears the main course plates and asks if we would like to see the dessert menu now or wait a bit.

It's amazing, really, how critical pacing is toward one's overall dining experience, and yet how many restaurants don't seem to have a clue.

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.