• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner! 2005

EdS

Tonight was:

Chicken piccata with pepper penne and asparagus

Meez, you've got three of my favourite things in the world all on one plate. :wub:

Welcome!

Joie Alvaro Kent

"I like rice. Rice is great if you're hungry and want 2,000 of something." ~ Mitch Hedberg

The cookies do look great. Last year I made an Ina Garten recipe for jam thumbprints. The instructions say to roll them in coconut befor baking. THe coconut got all toasy, and they were delicious. I have to say they were the prettiest cookies ever.

That's a great recipe! And you can always leave off the shredded coconut if (like me) you just can't stand the stuff...

"We had dry martinis; great wing-shaped glasses of perfumed fire, tangy as the early morning air." - Elaine Dundy, The Dud Avocado

Queenie Takes Manhattan

eG Foodblogs: 2006 - 2007

There was a small-scale blizzard here in Wisconsin and I wasn't willing to brave the elements to go to the store, so dinner tonight was kind of low-rent. I roasted chicken thighs seasoned with nothing but s&p. On the side, baked beans from a can doctored with bacon and maple syrup, heated in the hot oven along with the chicken thighs so they got nice and dry and sticky.

I ate the skin of four thighs but the meat of only two, and I finished the whole can of beans. And you know, it was gooood.

"It is impossible not to love someone who makes toast for you."

-Nigel Slater

After a hard day of hanging Christmas lights outside I had pork chili, a green salad (romaine, seeded/peeled cucumbers, snow peas, shredded carrots and unsalted sunflower seeds) with blue cheese dressing and jalapeno/cheddar corn muffins. Hm. This the very first time that my fingertips actually burn after dicing the jalapenos. Maybe my skin is getting thinner with age? :rolleyes:

Shelley: Would you like some pie?

Gordon: MASSIVE, MASSIVE QUANTITIES AND A GLASS OF WATER, SWEETHEART. MY SOCKS ARE ON FIRE.

Twin Peaks

Alinka, great fancy meatloaf; what is in the potatoes?

:biggrin: I meant, mine is just meatloaf, not fancy like yours :smile:. I've mashed a carrot into the potatoes for the fun specks of color.

I am now officially addicted to this forum.

Yeah, that's what happens to you once you get into this forum: you start looking at food on your plate not just thinking "how does it taste?" but also "how will it look on photo?" :biggrin:

Alinka, perhaps you've been asked this before, but how do your pictures always turn out so high-res.  Your lighting seems consistently better than most and your focus sharper.  What kind of the camera do you use and on what settings?

Thanks you! I have Canon PowerShot G5. Nothing too fancy. I use the Av setting with the shallowest depth of field it would allow; I also selected the "vivid" setting. As to the lighting, I take most of my pictures on the kitchen counter next to the window. Daylight makes a great difference. Unfortunately, catching daylight is not always possible, especially in winter. This is why here's what my steak supper looks like (also photographed on the kitchen counter):

gallery_34224_2175_40032.jpg

This is my first time to cook steak, so please be kind :smile:.

Edited to add: I never, ever do flash photography to my food :biggrin:.

Edited by Alinka (log)

Alinka, being a Texan, I was hoping it you would give tell us a little more about that steak you cooked up?

SiseFromm, that looks great.. Where did you get the recipe for that.. How did the peppercorn react with the tangerine.. Was it too muted, or did the spice come through?

Ling,

That looks really great.. Is it possible to ask this question without considering the double meaning.. What was for dessert? :biggrin:

Daniel's getting fresh! :laugh:

Love that lamb shank, Ling...and that foie gras looks unbelievable. I can feel it melting in my mouth from here...

"We had dry martinis; great wing-shaped glasses of perfumed fire, tangy as the early morning air." - Elaine Dundy, The Dud Avocado

Queenie Takes Manhattan

Alinka, Ling, SiseFromm, everything looks wonderful!

SiseFromm, when life hands me tangerines, I would think sorbet, but foie gras works.

Alinka, that steak looks great. How was it prepared? And what were the sides? Thanks for the tips on photography. I also have a basic camera, and am never satisfied with the way my pics turn out.

Ling, did the guy like the lamb shank? Did you serve a Cotes du Rhone with dinner too?

Last night was a basic stir fry of tofu, carrots, and broccoli in a semi-spicy sauce that was loosely based on hzrt8w's ma po tofu recipe.

Karen C.

"Oh, suddenly life’s fun, suddenly there’s a reason to get up in the morning – it’s called bacon!" - Sookie St. James

Travelogue: Ten days in Tuscany

For 13 days, it was "Dinner! what did my husband cook?" as Dennis took a turn in the kitchen while I was recovering from my surgery.. he did really well, (with some instructions from me :biggrin: ), and he took great care of me.. but today we celebrated my first day back in the kitchen and it was great to be cooking again..

I made spicy pork chili and cornbread, served with various toppings: coriander, crispy bacon, sour cream, avocado and cheese.

gallery_21505_358_17600.jpg

Last night, late: Pizza, for which I had made the dough and then got out of the way. The Man of the House made two varieities, both with red sauce, considerably more trad than usual, and just what was wanted. One had sausage and mozz, and one had panko'd fried eggplant left over from another dish, a little Parmigiano Reggiano & Pecorino Romano, and mozz. Crispy bracingly-dressed autumn salad mix. 2000 Callaway "Coastal" Cabernet, as they call it; regardless, it was soft and good with the food.

Priscilla

Writer, cook, & c. ●  Twitter

For 13 days, it was "Dinner! what did my husband cook?" as Dennis took a turn in the kitchen while I was recovering from my surgery.. he did really well, (with some instructions from me  :biggrin: ), and he took great care of me.. but today we celebrated my first day back in the kitchen and it was great to be cooking again..

I made spicy pork chili and cornbread, served with various toppings: coriander, crispy bacon, sour cream, avocado and cheese.

Thats fantastic you are feeling better, Chufi. Glad to have you back and cooking..

For 13 days, it was "Dinner! what did my husband cook?" as Dennis took a turn in the kitchen while I was recovering from my surgery.. he did really well, (with some instructions from me  :biggrin: ), and he took great care of me.. but today we celebrated my first day back in the kitchen and it was great to be cooking again..

Yay! Glad you're feeling better, Chufi...that looks good!

Queenie Takes Manhattan

That looks like a great tex-mex meal Klary!!!

Welcome back :smile:

Ashiana

Ling,

That looks really great.. Is it possible to ask this question without considering the double meaning.. What was for dessert?  :biggrin:

I think I ate dessert before dinner. He doesn't really like dessert. :shock: (I smell trouble a-brewin'...) I gave him a slice of caramel apple pie last week, and he liked it. :smile:

I_call_the_duck: Yes, he enjoyed dinner. He said the risotto was better than the risotto he was eating in Italy two months ago--I pushed him had said, "Yeah right...Don't be such a suck-up!" :raz::laugh: The wine was just a cheap bottle I had kicking around; it was a 2003 Louis Bernard.

Klary: I'm glad you're feeling better, and your meal looks so tasty! I love cornbread and chili. :smile:

Edited by Ling (log)

^ Kangaroo, we don't get that 'round here!

Welcome back Klary.

Tonight's dinner was rum-pineapple chicken breasts served with tostones- my first time cooking with plantains, everything came out well. I don't normally cook Carribbean and it was nice and warming after coming home in the sleet.

I can't believe the tart from yesterday is already gone, so I made individual butterscotch meringue pies.

Percy:

Where did you get those Mushrooms?!

Everything looks great, but those mushrooms wow!

Ah, it's been way too long since I did a butt. - Susan Fahning aka "snowangel"

--------------------

One summers evening drunk to hell, I sat there nearly lifeless…Warren

I have to make four loaves of banana bread for my daughter's teachers tonight, so we stuck with easy.

We had my childhood favorite - cottage cheese and noodles with tons of freshly ground black pepper.

I enjoyed mine with a glass of Cabernet and Dylan had chocolate milk. :rolleyes:

Danielle Altshuler Wiley

a.k.a. Foodmomiac

We had my childhood favorite - cottage cheese and noodles with tons of freshly ground black pepper.

You know, it heartens me to find that other people eat such shameless comfort food. Sometimes a good meal is really all about taking it easy and indulging in a little nostalgia, no matter how homely the food on your plate really is. :wub:

"It is impossible not to love someone who makes toast for you."

-Nigel Slater