• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner! 2005

EdS

Beautiful meals, Jason, avocado.

Tonight was yook beng, aka Chinese pork patty with duck liver lap cherng (we translate it as Chinese meat loaf in my family). This dish is true comfort food for me. You won't find this stuff in restaurants.

gallery_20544_2100_47589.jpg

Served with boiled lettuce and white rice. (Sorry, still having trouble with the focus.)

gallery_20544_2100_67754.jpg

Edited by I_call_the_duck (log)

Karen C.

"Oh, suddenly life’s fun, suddenly there’s a reason to get up in the morning – it’s called bacon!" - Sookie St. James

Travelogue: Ten days in Tuscany

Percyn, please talk more about the cilantro cutney.

Snow angel,here are two variations of cilantro chutney recipe which is a regular in most Indian homes.

One of them is cilantro (coriander chutney) and the other raw coriander pachadi (pachadi is south indian term used for chutney which is basically a north indian term).

I have written a little about coriander leaves in my food blog

Sailaja aka 'sailu'

Sailu's Food

Last night I just HAD to have onion soup... Got home tired and cold. Did not feel much like cooking, but still wanted something warm and comforting. Simple (although not necessarily quick :smile:) onion soup with sweet and red onions, red wine, Dijon mustard, butter, home made croutons and stretchy cheese - this yummy, flavorful, dark concoction, - was just what I needed :smile:.

OnionSoup-vi.jpg

Last night I just HAD to have onion soup... Got home tired and cold. Did not feel much like cooking, but still wanted something warm and comforting. Simple (although not necessarily quick :smile:) onion soup with sweet and red onions, red wine, Dijon mustard, butter, home made croutons and stretchy cheese - this yummy, flavorful, dark concoction, - was just what I needed :smile:.

Wow, that looks outrageous. I'm at my desk at work, mildly hungover and now craving onion soup. Is it your own recipe?

Danielle Altshuler Wiley

a.k.a. Foodmomiac

Sesame crackers and potted shrimp to begin, with a glass of Oliver rose.

Last night's cold damp called for pot roast, started about noon and braised for a long gentle time in first-make-a-roux gravy, along with diced carrots, celery and onion. A few stirs during the afternoon, a small replenishment of the liquid as it thickened, and the lift of the lid at dinnertime revealed two large softly melting slabs of good brown beef, which separated into spoon-tender hunks at a touch.

If we hadn't eaten it for supper, just the making of it, the aromas and the thought of something so good simmering on the stove--that would have been enough, somehow. It gave an extra holiday aura to the house, along with the Christmas music, the bringing-out of decorations, and the completion of the second tree--one to go.

We served the stew over sticky rice in wide flat soupbowls, just-baked buttered biscuits alongside. Some new threeberry jam, celery sticks and chive/dill dip, and iced tea.

A shotglass of eggnog and wee slice of Claxton's for him (this will go on, every night, til it's all gone). Cup of vanilla rooibos for me.

I am new to this board so i don't how to upload pics yet.

I have been amazed by all of your pics.

America eats good baby...

Last night we had rice with chinese long beans and chinese syle chicken that my husband made.

AShiana

Hello and welcome!! We love to see photos so please check out this tutorial,<Photo Instructions > it will help you post photos.. I never took the time to learn photoshop and am not the most "technical" person in the room or any room for that matter..But posting pictures here has been rather smooth for me..

Edited by Daniel (log)

Friday night: Sierra Nevadas :wacko:

Saturday night: frozen wood-fired pizzas from Italy, now carried at my local Giant grocery store. Not bad at all.

Sunday night: Pork loin stuffed with rosemary/sage/garlic/kosher salt mix, in the Set It and Forget It; roasted zucchini and onions, all layered on fresh "artisanal" bread from Safeway with melted provolone, some old French white bordeaux

Last night: bacon-cheddar burgers on toasted English muffins with lots of Nathan's thin sliced pickles, mustard and ketchup; Lay's reduced fat-sea salt potato chips

I love cooking with wine. Sometimes I even put it in the food.

Rachel, you reminded me of us.  When we lived up north we grilled all year too, even when it was snowing.  :smile: Your description of the ribs had me drooling!

Yup, us too! My mom always had a path shoveled to the grill all winter long...

My dad bought these giant outdoor flood lights to light up the area where the grill is so he can cook after 4pm in the winter time...They are like stadium lights, you can't look right at them. Sigh, boys...

Tonight we had some things left over from last nights dinner.. Started with oyster stew. then arugala,watercress and radiccio salad.. Added quail, blue cheese, toasted sugared walnuts, pear, and a truffle vinegraette.. Served along roasted garlic corn bread madelines.. For dessert, Bourbon Chocolate Ice Cream and short bread cookies..

gallery_15057_2056_798708.jpg

Rachel requested pasta tonight, so I made the following:

Pseudo-Bolognese:

gallery_2_4_18250.jpg

gallery_2_4_36773.jpg

Started off with ground beef, onion, chopped sauteed mushrooms with sherry, and added San Marzano tomatoes, a bit of jarred Barilla marinara (yeah, I know its cheating), milk, and a big dollop of sour cream.

Not even close to traditional in terms of meat and ingredient proportions or even method, but it was tasty for lazy man's Bolognese.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

Jason! Mmmm! Your "bolognese" looks so good, rich and just... tasty :smile:.

Wow, that looks outrageous. I'm at my desk at work, mildly hungover and now craving onion soup. Is it your own recipe?

Yes, it happens to be my own recipe, so I am sharing it, there you go! :smile: Only I wouldn't really call it "my" recipe since I just cooked it this once, and happend to write the proportions down because I was calculating the calories :rolleyes:. But it should serve your purpose as a cure nicely :wink:.

Megan, thank you!

Jason! Mmmm! Your "bolognese" looks so good, rich and just... tasty :smile:.

Yes, it happens to be my own recipe, so I am sharing it, there you go! :smile: Only I wouldn't really call it "my" recipe since I just cooked it this once, and happend to write the proportions down because I was calculating the calories :rolleyes:. But it should serve your purpose as a cure nicely :wink:.

Megan, thank you!

No, thank you! That looks delicious - and easy, too. Right up my alley. :wink:

"We had dry martinis; great wing-shaped glasses of perfumed fire, tangy as the early morning air." - Elaine Dundy, The Dud Avocado

Queenie Takes Manhattan

eG Foodblogs: 2006 - 2007

Spaghetti with Peas

peas.jpg

This is an incredibly simple but incredible tasting dish. I love it because I always have the ingredients to make it on hand.

500gm dried thin spaghetti

500gm frozen peas

100gm butter

salt & pepper

(serves 6)

Thats it. Cook the pasta until al dente, cook the peas for 3 minutes, then put the peas and some cooking liquid in the blender along with the butter and blend until it's pureed but has some texture to it. Thin out if neccesary with more pasta water. Season to taste and then add whatever you want to it. In this case, I also added some buffalo pecorino, sauteed salami and some red pepper flakes but I've also done pancetta, bacon, parmesan, roasted garlic, basil, mint, smoked salmon etc. Not all at once of course :wink:.

PS: I am a guy.

Life has been clicking along at a frantic pace here at the Mouse house as of late, so I've been virtually AWOL from my computer for two weeks or so. The past couple of days have been especially long. Noah just caught his first cold of the season (I can't believe that he's been germ-free for this long), so I've spent some late nights and atrociously early mornings giving him tepid-water sponge baths to quell his fever. Fortunately, though, he's still eating fairly well and I haven't had too much difficulty getting enough food and fluids into him.

A big ole pot of comfort food was in order this evening. I cooked up a Le Creuset full of southwestern chicken stew with mushrooms, onions, stewed tomatoes, sweet corn and chili seasonings served over a bed of rice. Lots of water and OJ all around to help keep the germs at bay. And, at the little convalescent's request, dessert was the strawberry-banana Jello that he had helped me make earlier this afternoon. No photos, however. Too darn tired.

Tomorrow's another day...

Joie Alvaro Kent

"I like rice. Rice is great if you're hungry and want 2,000 of something." ~ Mitch Hedberg

Joy, joy, joy to the world. Joie is back! Missed you very much. So happy to see you but my heart aches for Noah. Hope he feels well again very soon, and you then can get some rest, too!

The chicken chili/stew over rice sounds great! I'm sure the Jello was yummy in his tummy!

Yetty CintaS

I am spaghetttti

Last night we had two racks of babybacks, to feed our grillsmoke withdrawal pangs.  We grill all year long, and Chris thinks nothing of standing out in the driving snow, manning the Weber, cooking up Mahogany Chickens or racks of Country Ribs or marinated tenderloins (pork or beef).  His only consideration is that the snow not actually fall upon the meat itself.  I've been known to stand beside him in a blizzard, holding up a big old blue and white golf umbrella, whilst he brushes each piece of meat or vegetable with marinade or sauce.

And these were perfect:  the very essence of porky tenderness, not that first creamy tenderness of a piece of meat cooked just SO, nor the long-pitted drop-from-the-bone tenderness of a piece of Memphis-done perfection, but the middle-ground, a tender, softly-tearing mouthful of smoky, porky realness.  My tongue could feel the little ragged edges as the meat ripped gently apart.

We started with bowls of Navy-bean soup, cooked Saturday with beef stock and three beef shortribs from the freezer, the leftovers from an earlier grill-binge, which I simmered in the stock until they fell from the bone, then cut into bitesize pieces to add back to the long-simmered mixture of pink beans, onion, garlic and seasonings.  Very warming and delicious on a snowy night.

Usual side of crisp sweet onion, Duke's mayo, seasalt sandwiches on Wonder Bread.  40-weight iced tea.

He had a slice of Claxton's; two mini-squares of Hershey's ultra-dark for me.

I wanna eat at your house............

a bit of jarred Barilla marinara (yeah, I know its cheating),

You are using the Barilla Fettucini Rigati? I LOVE that stuff....actually, ALL of the 'rigati' pastas ! And I think their sauce is a very decent start for your own.......

I just wish someone would tell me where I can buy tubettini ! Used to love them in tomato soup when I was a kid and can't find them anywhere ..............

I wanna eat at your house............

ANYTIME!!! Chris could be off laboring on a stubborn machine for 12 hours, call home and if I said, "We've got seven people coming to dinner---they want you to grill ribs," the first word he said would be "GREAT!"

I'm so lucky.

Rachel requested pasta tonight, so I made the following:

Pseudo-Bolognese:

I guess it's in the air. I just made a ragu using 4 Gloucester Old Spot pig's cheeks and some pancetta. The result was really wonderful, luscious, creamy. I highly recommend it.

Edited by MobyP (log)

"Gimme a pig's foot, and a bottle of beer..." Bessie Smith

Flickr Food

"111,111,111 x 111,111,111 = 12,345,678,987,654,321" Bruce Frigard 'Winesonoma' - RIP