• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner! 2004

dumpling

It was cold and rainy, so, perfect time to sit down to breakfast for dinner.

Some low-carb pancakes (Atkins QuickCuisine mix, not bad, but not great, but his the spot tonight), some Hatville Sage Sausage (eh, not as good as the Jimmy Dean, not nearly as good as the stuff I get from the local Amish butcher. Next time I will add more sage). A couple fried eggs (over easy) and the star of the night: Radish Home Fries.

This was my first time trying Radish home-fries. They are spectacular, great potato taste with a subtle radish bite. I fried them up in some pork drippings, butter, and a bit of onion until soft. I just can't say enough good things about these.... these have my vote for becoming the next eG roasted cauliflower. If you have never tried radishes like this, go out and give it a whirl, LC eating plan or not.

egradish.jpg

He don't mix meat and dairy,

He don't eat humble pie,

So sing a miserere

And hang the bastard high!

- Richard Wilbur and John LaTouche from Candide

Nullo, I love radishes braised in butter and white wine. I stumbled across the recipe once when I bought some unbearably peppery radishes. Now I seek out those same radishes especially for braising.

Tonight we had pasta with radicchio and gorgonzola. Neither low carb nor low fat, nor particularly photogenic, but quite good.

(edited for spelling...)

Edited by Behemoth (log)

gallery_15769_29_1098157004.jpg

A well-rendered and then seared off Muscovy duck breast; a pan sauce with green peppercorns, a wee dab of honey and a little cream; melting French lentils simmered in stock and dressed up with rosemary and carmelized cipollinis; bit of mesclun with just a tiny gloss of hazelnut vinaigrette.

WOW !! I am not sure I will be able to cook duck again :shock:

And the tiniest scrape of Roaring 40's Blue for dessert :wub:

What a coincidence, I was about to buy some Roaring 40's myself this weekend, but ended up buying a raw milk blue, which was delicious with a sourdough baguette and a 1992 Burgees Library Edition Cab.

gallery_21049_162_1098237705.jpg

This is my first post on this thread, so I don't know how detailed I'm supposed to get :)

Tonight we had:

Sauteed chicken breasts with a caramelized onion sauce

Roasted cauliflower (eGullet recipe)

Yellowtail chardonnay

We were going to have a spring greens salad with oil and vinegar dressing but got so excited about the roasted cauliflower we forgot about it.

Sorry no picture...digital camera wasn't charged up. :)

Quick Italian-Franco comfort food: spaghetti with 'wild' clams. All the fish at Gourmet Garage last nigt was labelled as 'wild". The mental image of clams in short grass skirts dancing around a boiling pat was irresistable. And some killer garlic bread..you know the kind where you just rub the raw garlic across the grilled bread? God, I can't believe I discovered this so late in life....

The Franco salad course: baby romaine in a mustardy vinegarette, port poached pear (say that 3 times fast!) and roasted roubouchon (sp??). Served with a muscato.

But roasted or pan roasted radishes sound really, really good..

Yesterday my best friend and her new fiance came to visit me for the first time since she and I both moved from Nashville 3 years ago. Our lunch consisted of: crustless Brie and chive quiche , green beans gremolata, cranberry conserve (with apricots, raisins, brown sugar, orange juice and walnuts), homemade oatmeal/whole wheat rolls and individual chocolate souffles with whipped cream.

Ruth Dondanville aka "ruthcooks"

“Are you making a statement, or are you making dinner?” Mario Batali

Yesterday my best friend and her new fiance came to visit me for the first time since she and I both moved from Nashville 3 years ago.  Our lunch consisted of:  crustless Brie and chive quiche , green beans gremolata, cranberry conserve (with apricots, raisins, brown sugar, orange juice and walnuts), homemade oatmeal/whole wheat rolls and individual chocolate souffles with whipped cream.

Ruth, what is "crustless brie"? Do you just mean that you peeled the rind? Or is there some kind of brie that is made without rind? (I cannot imagine how that could be, which is why I ask.)

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

Ruth, what is "crustless brie"? Do you just mean that you peeled the rind? Or is there some kind of brie that is made without rind? (I cannot imagine how that could be, which is why I ask.)

Dear, most respected Jinmyo - the quiche was crustless, not the cheese.

Pizza- herbed, grilled chicken, roasted tomato and garlic sauce, slivered onions and red bell peppers, olives, mozzarella, artichoke hearts and parmesan.

Served with a green salad/blue cheese dressing and a root beer.

Shelley: Would you like some pie?

Gordon: MASSIVE, MASSIVE QUANTITIES AND A GLASS OF WATER, SWEETHEART. MY SOCKS ARE ON FIRE.

Twin Peaks

Cold and rainy. Not looking good for the Yankees.

Split Pea Soup

gallery_15769_29_1098327143.jpg

Melting peas, shredded ham hock, onion, carrot, croutons of white bread fried in rosemary and butter. Big giant fire.

Pot Roast

gallery_15769_29_1098327184.jpg

Jeff's famous pot roast. Top round cooked for ages in its own shed juices; carrots, celery, onions, potatoes. Salt, pepper - inky deep, long-cooked flavor.

Last night's dinner for a cold, wet, yucky day. Pork roast with butter and sage, roasted root vegetables (squash, turnip, parsnip, carrot, garlic, potato) and braised red cabbage. Chocolate pots de creme for dessert.

Barbara Laidlaw aka "Jake"

Good friends help you move, real friends help you move bodies.

It has been cold, rainy and gloomy for about a week now. Everyone I know (except me) has a cold.

Tonight I had homemade chicken soup and stars to stay warm keep the germs away :smile:

True Heroism is remarkably sober, very undramatic.

It is not the urge to surpass all others at whatever cost,

but the urge to serve others at whatever cost. -Arthur Ashe

It was 95 here today. Again. Now we get the summer sizzle. :blink:

Slow pecan-smoked pork for fajitas with all the usual suspects (and homemade salsa, of course), and mashed and refried beans with our jalapenoes and tomatoes chunked in.

Can't wait for those chicken soup, split pea soup, and pot roast days.

Judith Love

North of the 30th parallel

One woman very courteously approached me in a grocery store, saying, "Excuse me, but I must ask why you've brought your dog into the store." I told her that Grace is a service dog.... "Excuse me, but you told me that your dog is allowed in the store because she's a service dog. Is she Army or Navy?" Terry Thistlewaite

Posole Stew made with lots of Chimayo ground red chile, onions, garlic and pork shoulder

... garnished with radishes and lime juice.

"Under the dusty almond trees, ... stalls were set up which sold banana liquor, rolls, blood puddings, chopped fried meat, meat pies, sausage, yucca breads, crullers, buns, corn breads, puff pastes, longanizas, tripes, coconut nougats, rum toddies, along with all sorts of trifles, gewgaws, trinkets, and knickknacks, and cockfights and lottery tickets."

-- Gabriel Garcia Marquez, 1962 "Big Mama's Funeral"

Trader Joe's lentil soup (good stuff) doctored up with slow sauteed onions, garlic, a little jalapeno, some white wine & balsamic. A handful of alphabet pasta near the end. Genoa salami & provolone paninis made in the sandwich maker. Then at 10:30 or so, my boyfriend made brownies from a mix.

I love cooking with wine. Sometimes I even put it in the food.

One of my friends is experimenting with starting a flavored butter business. I slow roasted salmon using her rosemary lemon butter. If said friend is reading this it was fantastic!!!!

Served crispy cheddar/bacon cakes on the side. Bottle of Belle Pent 2001 Pinot Noir.

gallery_16100_231_1098461881.jpg

Cheese course after. This one is goat cheese, cashel blue and Cow Girl Creamery Red Hawk. honey and olive jam are also on the plate with crackers. (cheeses named are counter clockwise)

gallery_16100_231_1098461979.jpg

One of my friends is experimenting with starting a flavored butter business. I slow roasted salmon using her rosemary lemon butter. If said friend is reading this it was fantastic!!!!

Served crispy cheddar/bacon cakes on the side. Bottle of Belle Pent 2001 Pinot Noir.

Cheese course after. This one is goat cheese, cashel blue and Cow Girl Creamery Red Hawk. honey and olive jam are also on the plate with crackers. (cheeses named are counter clockwise)

It ALL looks delicious. Did you carry over the same wine into the cheese course? If so, how did it match up? Pinot Noir is a great wine for pairing with lots of foods, and I like being able to have one bottle of wine to carry through two or three courses.

Life is short; eat the cheese course first.

It ALL looks delicious. Did you carry over the same wine into the cheese course? If so, how did it match up? Pinot Noir is a great wine for pairing with lots of foods, and I like being able to have one bottle of wine to carry through two or three courses.

thanks Susan,

We have cheese after dinner quite frequently so we always have the same wine, we aren't very picky about that if it's just the two of us. If it's a dinner party then I will specifically buy cheeses based on the wine I'm serving with the main course. We always have a collection of cheese in our fridge.

I think that North Willamette (oregon) PN's go quite well with most food actually. They are generally more fruity and lighter than the CA styles. I don't think it stood up to the blue as well as another might but for the goat cheese in particular it is really good.

Lasagna last night. Nothing special about it except that I didn't boil the noodles first. My homemade sauce plucked from the freezer was a little on the thin side, so I decided to give it a try. It worked... and it was good.

The sauce had finely diced sausage in it... so fine my 11 year old vegetarian didn't even notice, or object.

The filling was the usual, ricotta, parm-reg, garlic, nutmeg, pepper, egg, mozzarella, spinach and mushrooms. Please note this disclaimer: I am not Italian, so this is my version. This time anyway.

gallery_11353_275_1098478079.jpg

steaming purple green beans

gallery_11353_275_1098478349.jpg

hot cheesy goodness :wub:

gallery_11353_275_1098478391.jpg

how quickly they change!

gallery_11353_275_1098478480.jpg

no garlic bread, hence the edible filler ( garnish) of purple basil and pineapple sage flowers from the herb garden.

it was sooooo cold on the hawkwatch today with a vile ne wind so came home, took shower and the cannellini and kale soup is on the stove and will make cheese toasts( both asiago and parmegiano reggiano) to go with the soup. dessert for johnnybird will be apple pie with vanilla lactaid ice cream - i prefer the extra sharp cheddar :biggrin:

ohhhhh time to change the sig line i do believe

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

Slow-braised chicken thighs with fresh thyme

Roasted asparagus and Belgian endive cores (the leaves are for tomorrow's party that I'm catering, but it seemed foolish to toss the cores). EVOO and Maldon salt.

I've been picking at the whipped ganache, the caramel dipping sauce, the candied chocolated almonds, etc so no additional dessert is anticipated.