• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner! 2004

dumpling

susan in fl - sure you don't want to escape the hurricanes and come up here? you can cook for me anyday - though figs look really, really good.

last night(and tonight as leftovers)

turkey picatta

whole wheat noodles

spinach sauteed with garlic

whole meal took 25minutes get on the table which, when you start cooking at 5:45 and your husband says he's hungry enough to eat in 5 minutes, is a very good thing :rolleyes:

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

Peanutgirl, these look amazing!!! Chile Rellenos are an all time favorite of mine.

Last night:

Sirloin steak rubbed with 'Kamunah' (a Lebanese spice blend), and seared rare

Compound butter

boiled yukon gold potatoes

Carrots shredded with yogurt and garlic, it is sort of like a wonderful middle- eastern flavored slaw

Elie

E. Nassar
Houston, TX

My Blog

Hubby made 6 hour slow cooked beans yesterday, we grilled some chicken breasts with a smokey bbq sauce and I made a little corn bread to go with.

Tonight I'm using the leftover corn bread in a cornbread pudding to go with a roasted turkey breast with sage butter.

Also trying to find nice bridges from summer to fall.......

We had some Romanoff black whitefish "caviar" left from having bought it as hurricane food for Frances.  So we had it as a first course tonight, after yet another day of hurricane clean-up, on slices of potato and sour cream, with Andre bubbly.

gallery_13038_170_1096851317.jpg

Susan,

What a coincidence...my colleague at work (who is originally from Russia) went to the Russian store over the weekend and brought me some caviar as I had requested, which I also had tonight, on crackers (no dark rye) and butter, as an appetizer. Main course was minced lamb burgers, which I converted into lamb kabobs by adding some cumin, spring onions, etc. Sorry, no pictures...too hungry.

Can you explain why you referred to the caviar as "hurricane food"? I am sure it is a pain to clean up after these hurricanes, but at least you can enjoy the dishes which look so spectacular, after a long day's work.

Cheers

Percy

Suzi, I'll cook for you, if you cook for me. :wub:

Percy, we bought this particular jar of caviar when we were shopping for nonperishable food in preparation for the hurricanes. ( :biggrin: Bottled water, wine, Spam, black beans, spaghettios, caviar...!!) We ate almost everything else we bought, between Charley and Frances (we didn't loose power during Jeanne), and now that it looks like we won't have anymore hurricanes for a while, and we're finally making some headway in the clean-up, we thought it would be fitting to eat it!

Your lamb dinner sounded good!

I was off today and made even more headway cleaning up. It has been next to impossible getting repairs done, so I went to work on the torn screen of our porch with DUCK TAPE!! I love that stuff. The leak... well we will just have to stick a bucket there when it rains. But, after three hours of work on the porch today, we can now eat dinner out there again!

After Mojitos to celebrate, we had:

Rotisserie chicken on the grill, which was rubbed before grilling with cumin, salt and pepper

Potatoes Bravas

Canned Glory brand seasoned collard greens (!)

Black beans with sour cream, chopped onion, and chopped avocado

Syrah

gallery_13038_170_1096937542.jpg

Life is good!

Life is short; eat the cheese course first.

ya'll are killin' me with your pictures...

tonight: a left over oven roasted golden beet, skin peeled off, sliced, drizzled with EV olive oil, sea salt & cracked pepper. Tasty. Second course: steamed haricots vert, with butter, EVOO, S & P and some boletes that have been marinating in my fridge a bit too long so they're kinda soggy.

Hmmm. How to use the rest of the soggy boletes.... yes, there's more in my fridge...

Born Free, Now Expensive

Hurrah - finally cooked again.

Spice-roasted chicken

gallery_15769_29_1096983926.jpg

A small chicken clobbered up and stuck in a runny paste of cinnamon, garlic, ginger (got to break out the mortar and pestle for the first time, yeah!), a little cumin, coriander, and cayenne. Dredged in flour, browned and roasted.

Plain pearl couscous with onions, a quick, blazing-hot harissa of charred peppers, coriander and caraway, and a tangle of sumac-spiced parsley and preserved lemon salad to cool things down, given some substance with plenty of blanched red onion, chopped cucumber and some tomato.

Man, was it good.

Peanutgirl, these look amazing!!! Chile Rellenos are an all time favorite of mine.

Thanks FoodMan :biggrin: .

Chicken here tonight, though not as exciting as eunny jang's above picture!

I'm just simply roasting a chicken on a bed of carrots, celery, onion, fresh sage and garlic... with stuffing.

Sides will be the old standbys: roasted garlic buttermik mashed potatoes, steamed green beans, gravy, and some orange- cranberry relish that literally fell out of the freezer this morning.

Also, since the oven will be on, I'm baking some butternut squash seasoned with cinnamon, salt and pepper, nutmeg and butter which will then be scraped out of their skins and served mashed as well. The kids love it.

No pictures since it's plain old comfort food. You all know what that looks like :wink: .

i took the leftover collards and beans, added some diced potato, some green onions and some sliced shiitakes and added the rest of the carton of broth i'd cooked the greens in the night before and made a soup. i served it with crusty bread and spicy italian sausage i roasted in the oven. i have to give a shout out to jinmyo for the tip - that it is the best way to cook sausages by far. crisp, juicy, evenly browned all over.

from overheard in new york:

Kid #1: Paper beats rock. BAM! Your rock is blowed up!

Kid #2: "Bam" doesn't blow up, "bam" makes it spicy. Now I got a SPICY ROCK! You can't defeat that!

--6 Train

Hurrah - finally cooked again.

Welcome "back"! I'm glad this has started out as a week better than last for you.

I remain so totally awestruck, all the time, by your delicious-looking food and your photography of it. And, what a great presentation for the chicken... chicken atop pearl couscous atop a sauce, I want to borrow that idea.

I hope you will do an eG food blog. Please? :smile:

...and some boletes that have been marinating in my fridge a bit too long so they're kinda soggy.

Hmmm. How to use the rest of the soggy boletes.... yes, there's more in my fridge...

M., do you go mushroom hunting?

I second Susan. I'd love to see a food blog by eunny.

Just got home from running/moderating etc. a 3 day conference. Too tired to cook. The SO spoiled me rotten with foie gras pate/mousse, various cheese (blue d'auvergne, st. augustine, charmes, and one other that escapes me) and champagne! :wub::wub:

My favourite dinner after being subjected to horrid hotel food.

Barbara Laidlaw aka "Jake"

Good friends help you move, real friends help you move bodies.

Tonight was chili!

My standard non-recipe of throwing a bunch of stuff in a pot and seeing what came out, including:

A 3 lb chuck roast, chopped

an onion

some garlic

a can of chipotles in adobo

a can of jalepenos chopped

a can of black soybeans

red jalepeno powder

dried peppers of various type

habanero sauce

cumin seeds (lots, whole)

garlic powder

onion powder

chili powder

crushed red pepper

mexican oregano

powdered clove

carb-options BBQ sauce

soy sauce

fish sauce

worcestshire sauce

cocoa powder (Drost)

trader Joe's mexican dark roast espresso grind

cinnamon

allspice

montreal steak seasoning

black pepper

salt

probably some stuff I am forgetting.

Wow, I had no idea I threw so much in until now.

Simmered for a couple hours, the sauce was thick with no flour needed, a nice deep red, rich, smokey, and with a subtle bite and an underlying sweetness. Yummy, served up with a drizzle of crema mexicana on top.

He don't mix meat and dairy,

He don't eat humble pie,

So sing a miserere

And hang the bastard high!

- Richard Wilbur and John LaTouche from Candide

i took the leftover collards and beans, added some diced potato, some green onions and some sliced shiitakes and added the rest of the carton of broth i'd cooked the greens in the night before and made a soup. i served it with crusty bread and spicy italian sausage i roasted in the oven.  i have to give a shout out to jinmyo for the tip - that it is the best way to cook sausages by far. crisp, juicy, evenly browned all over.

At what temperature and for how long do you roast sausages? I've been wanting to try this.

I love cooking with wine. Sometimes I even put it in the food.

Susan and Jake - You guys are sweet :wub::wub:

Definite snap in the air lately. Was going to go out but plans changed at the last minute. Leftovers for dinner:

Chicken pot pie

gallery_15769_29_1097073750.jpg

Quick sage-flecked rough-puff pastry, last night's chicken, a thick roux with lots of wine and stock whisked in, pearl onions, a few sad carrots, peas, oyster mushrooms bolstered with some creminis. The cinnamon-scented chicken actually worked really well here - a very vague autumnal note behind all the vegetable-chickeny stuff going on up front.

Green beans with a balsamic-shallot beurre blanc and some woefully underripe butternut squash, roasted in cubes, tossed with sagey olive oil and cheese, and left untouched on the plate.

I love making pastry, and insane as it might be, make it on weeknights all the time - it's so gratifying to look at the crumbly, gummy, hopeless mess on the counter and work it into a smooth slab that reveals hairline-thin layers when sliced. I have been guilty of crouching in front of the oven and watching it rise and brown - kind of like watching a pot poil, or paint dry, but it smells delicious at the same time :laugh:

Edited by eunny jang (log)

I've been putting in long hours at the office, but raced home to get to Gourmet Garage before it closed...couldn't do take-out one more time!

Roasted pork chops seasoned with salt, pepper, sage and roesemary and a little bit of some Indian spice mix....roasted on a bed of thinly sliced layers of potato and apples. Gotta love the silpat.

Served with some sauteed radicchio with raisins, onion and garlic. Sliding right into fall food.... :smile:

Cooked for the SO's parents last night, so the 5 (the 4 of us plus daughter) at the table had:

Mixed greens salad

Chicken breasts stuffed with ham and 2 cheeses

Sauteed veggies w/ lemon

Garlic mashed potatoes

Nigella's gooey chocolate puddings

Some notes: I KILLED the dressing for the salad. Didn't taste it before mixing, then realized it was far too salty. Ooops. Also, the puddings were underdone, but being puddings rather than cake no one noticed except me. :-)

Everything else was tasty if unadventurous. *shrug*

Then, after feeling suitably gorged on pudding, I made bran muffins before going to bed. :laugh:

Andrea, in ABQ

http://tenacity.net

"You can't taste the beauty and energy of the Earth in a Twinkie." - Astrid Alauda

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Food Lovers' Guide to Santa Fe, Albuquerque & Taos: OMG I wrote a book. Woo!

never posted on this board but read all the time. made a tasty something the other night:

--roasted eggplants stuffed with zuchinni risotto mixed with a sautee of ground lamb/rosemary/onions/eggplant plup then topped w. a little parm and but in the broiler for few.

--side salad of red leaf lettuce/radishes/scallions w. a mustard vinegrette

the eggplant may sound sorta odd but it was so tasty. wish i had a pic b.c it was quite pretty. shall try for it in the future.

never posted on this board but read all the time.  made a tasty something the other night:

--roasted eggplants stuffed with zuchinni risotto mixed with a sautee of ground lamb/rosemary/onions/eggplant plup then topped w. a little parm and but in the broiler for few.

--side salad of red leaf lettuce/radishes/scallions w. a mustard vinegrette

the eggplant  may sound sorta odd but it was so tasty.  wish i had a pic b.c it was quite pretty.  shall try for it in the future.

That eggplant sounds good to me!! Looking forward to some pictures! :biggrin:

Had a friend over last night who's wife is away. He eats meat, she doesn't so I told him I'd cook for him.

Started with Ginger-ini's and goat cheese with a dollop of homemade pesto on toasted baguette.

Pan roasted beef tenderloins with chantrelles, green beens, garlic and rosemary. This is my favorite way to do steak, sear for about 3 mins on the stove then flip and put the whole thing in the oven for about 15mins. Took everything out of the pan and deglazed it with some Pinot Noir, then added a bit of homemade beef stock, re seasoned and simmered till thickened. Put everything back in the pan to coat and then plate. Very tastey!

Hubby made carmel which we drizzeled over vanilla ice cream for dessert!

At what temperature and for how long do you roast sausages? I've been wanting to try this.

i guessed - there may be a better way to do it.

i preheated the oven to 300, then changed my mind and turned it up to 375. i put the sausages on a piece of foil on a cookie sheet and roasted them until i could smell them and the tops looked brown, then i turned them over and roasted for another 10 minutes. the bottoms were already slightly browned as they rendered some fat...no spitting though - no water/juice escaped...very cool. i'm avoiding the "how long" question...i think probably 20-30 minutes - i don't like them pink, though i'm sure they're fine that way. they were still juicy though, and not at all dry.

the thing i liked best about roasting them vs. cooking them in a pan is that was really easy to tell when they were done without puncturing them.

from overheard in new york:

Kid #1: Paper beats rock. BAM! Your rock is blowed up!

Kid #2: "Bam" doesn't blow up, "bam" makes it spicy. Now I got a SPICY ROCK! You can't defeat that!

--6 Train

M., do you go mushroom hunting?

No, these are shrooms I picked up at the local farmer's market. Now tis the season, and its a booming season this year. I'm gonna try and grab a few more this weekend, but I think we're nearing the end.

Dinner tonight: salt n pepper shrimp at the local chinese joint before class.

Born Free, Now Expensive

Had every intention of making pho and summer rolls (it's cold outside...but hot in my apartment). Bought, literally, ten pounds of neck bones, some oxtail, some paper-thin brisket, etc. etc. Left work early to get everything a-bubble. Got sidetracked and ended up eating three jalepeno poppers and one buffalo wing at 11pm at a dirty bar :angry: :angry: :angry:

Oh well. Tonight!

Edited by eunny jang (log)