• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

What's the Best Chain Pizza?

gfweb

+1 on Round table. Meat lovers is doable.

I almost fell over backwards when I saw a Shakey's in Tokyo... I thought they were extinct.

"Gourmandise is not unbecoming to women: it suits the delicacy of their organs and recompenses them for some pleasures they cannot enjoy, and for some evils to which they are doomed." Jean Anthelme Brillat-Savarin

MetaFooder: linking you to food | @foodtwit

We have a Pizza chain in Michigan, I do not know if they are throughout the mid west or only Mi. but Jets is a franchise pizzeria/delivery, and they have a very good deep dish pizza. Nice fresh mushrooms, real cheese, crust that is soft and crunchy on the corner edges, really quite good! I for one do not like

Frozen pizza, something about the crust is all wrong. The best Pizza is usually found at local Italian Restaurants. So I would suggest trying to find a local recommendation when in a new area.

Refined Vintage offers only the finest eclectic collection of Retro, Mid Century and Vintage items to add beauty to your life.

Become a Friend on Facebook

https://www.facebook.../refinedvintage

Well +1 for Round Table but the main problem is...do they have it in Wyoming?

Kind of funny since I'm eating it right now (Day off and don't want to cook a thing and not leaving the house". The chicken and garlic pie is the only thing I order, very good but I have to say it's gonna be a couple extra dollars for Round Table.

Sleep, bike, cook, feed, repeat...

Chef Facebook HQ Menlo Park, CA

My eGullet Foodblog

I used to love Round Table when there was one close to me, but alas no more. The chain seems to have dramatically shrunk in the last 15 or so years. Not much of a presence in SoCal any longer, I'm afraid. Surprisingly, Shakey's is stronger. None close to me, but still around. Again, haven't sampled their wares in many years, so don't know if they're any good. There's also one other chain I forgot about (probably because their pizza is so forgettable), Straw Hat. I think they're strictly a California operation. Nothing to write home about.

Agreed that small, Ma & Pa Italian restaurants are the way to go, but a), they're few and far between in the 'burbs, b), they usually don't deliver, and c) in the OP's situation of being stuck in the middle of nowhere, with no food options, probably not a realistic solution.

Bottom line.....national chain pizzas suck.

Edited by Pierogi (log)

--Roberta--

"Let's slip out of these wet clothes, and into a dry Martini" - Robert Benchley

Pierogi's eG Foodblog

My *outside* blog, "A Pound Of Yeast"

I'll put in another word for Bertucci's, although as noted, it is a regional chain. Ours in Annapolis is easily the best pie in town, not that we're known as a pizza destination.

Also agree with gfweb's review to stick with the pizza. The few times I've strayed from it you're sitting there saying, "Why didn't I get pizza"?

Don't know if this is chain wide policy, but in Annapolis, the lunch deal is good. Order a pizza and you get all the salad and rolls with olive oil dip you want gratis. Their rolls are good and yeasty and usually warm fom the oven. They give you a bag of rolls with a take out pizza also.

We have a Pizza chain in Michigan, I do not know if they are throughout the mid west or only Mi. but Jets is a franchise pizzeria/delivery, and they have a very good deep dish pizza. Nice fresh mushrooms, real cheese, crust that is soft and crunchy on the corner edges, really quite good! I for one do not like

Frozen pizza, something about the crust is all wrong. The best Pizza is usually found at local Italian Restaurants. So I would suggest trying to find a local recommendation when in a new area.

After reading all of this I actually can't believe what lack of pizza chains there are in the US. I'm originally from MI and I remember Jets. Heck I had friends who worked there and it was pretty awesome for chain style. The deep dish was exceptionally good for a chain and the ranch was pretty good too (not even a fan of ranch).

There's also Hungry Howies, I think that might be a MI only chain too, but that one isn't horrible either.

• 4 weeks later...

I wouldn't say Little Caesars is 'great' !!! but for $5 you can get a 'hot and ready' (usually pepperoni and cheese) that's passable.

Costco makes a really good pizza.

But no pizza anywhere can stand up to my gold standard of Lupo's in North Beach San Francsciso. (Not a chain, so I'm a bit off topic here). It's now called Tommaso's and I moved away before the name change so I can't say if the food has remained the same.

http://tommasos.com/italian_restaurant_story.html

I have a special place in my heart for dominoes thin crust - wouldn't compare it to real pizzas, but for what it is I like it.

Yes, a Domino's thin crust ham & pineapple hits a certain sweet spot for me that I can't identify, and can't duplicate anywhere else.

There is another regional chain from Florida, Anthony's Coal Fired Pizza, that is expanding to the mid-Atlantic and maybe northeast and is pretty good. I like their Melanzane, although I always ask for them to go easy on the sauce, other wise it overwhelms everything else.

Dare I ask what others think about Woflgang Puck's pizza chain? You can find them in most major cities. Are the pizzas worthy of his name?

"Salt is born of the purest of parents: the sun and the sea." --Pythagoras.

Dare I ask what others think about Woflgang Puck's pizza chain? You can find them in most major cities. Are the pizzas worthy of his name?

I ate at one of the Tokyo locations (vegetarian stuck in a place with no other vegetarian options for most of a day), and it was quite good -especially since Japanese Italian food tends to be sweetened, and this was not.

Well, from the posts here I'm abviously a Cretan - but - I still enjoy Round Table Pizza. I gave up on Papa Johns a few years ago. I mostly patronize a local place that makes good, but not fantasic, pizza.

Porthos Potwatcher
The Once and Future Cook

;

Well, from the posts here I'm abviously a Cretan - but - I still enjoy Round Table Pizza. I gave up on Papa Johns a few years ago. I mostly patronize a local place that makes good, but not fantasic, pizza.

I like Round Table Pizza too... while it's not gourmet, it's good. Dominos and Pizza Hut are tolerable in a pinch. My pizza of choice though, is a local chain called Skipolinis. I'm a peasant though, and don't like my pizzas too frou frou.

Cheryl

• 2 weeks later...

Here in Tulsa I tend to go to http://www.topthatpizza.com/menu-oklahoma.html unless I am wanting it precooked then I go to Wolfgang Puck's Bistro, neither of which deliver. I haven't had delivered pizza in probably 10 years.

It is good to be a BBQ Judge.  And now it is even gooder to be a Steak Cookoff Association Judge.  Life just got even better.  Woo Hoo!!!

If you mean regular pizza - like Domino's, Pizza Hut, etc. I think that you are out of luck. I actually prefer frozen pizza to those places. It's a shame, but that's my opinion.

I totally agree. We have all of those within delivery distance and we NEVER order them. I keep a stash of Jack's cheese pizza( 3.00) at Wal*Mart in the freezer and added some penzey's pizza seasoning before baking. Its a very thin crust plain cheese pizza that is decent if we want a quick meal.

I used to love Round Table when there was one close to me, but alas no more. The chain seems to have dramatically shrunk in the last 15 or so years. Not much of a presence in SoCal any longer, I'm afraid. Surprisingly, Shakey's is stronger. None close to me, but still around. Again, haven't sampled their wares in many years, so don't know if they're any good. There's also one other chain I forgot about (probably because their pizza is so forgettable), Straw Hat. I think they're strictly a California operation. Nothing to write home about.

Agreed that small, Ma & Pa Italian restaurants are the way to go, but a), they're few and far between in the 'burbs, b), they usually don't deliver, and c) in the OP's situation of being stuck in the middle of nowhere, with no food options, probably not a realistic solution.

Bottom line.....national chain pizzas suck.

We have a Round Table right down the street. We got some coupons in the mail, so we made our way over there. Never again, there was a piece of wood(dont ask me where it came from) in my veggie pizza.

Here in Ecuador we've got exactly four pizza chains on a national level - Pizza Hut, Papa John's, Domino's, and Ch'Farina, all of which suck. Even if it was reasonably good pizza (and it's not), I also boycot Pizza Hut, as they burned down a landmark theatre and then had the guts to say "wasn't us!" even though it was clearly a grease fire due to poor kitchen practices.

I am a great patron, however, of the regional chains El Hornero (excellent Uruguayan-style deep dish pizzas, real pizza sauce), and Ali's (excellent NY-style thin-crust pizzas, real pizza sauce). When I don't have the time or energy to make my own pizzas, I go to one or the other of them for something that, while not gourmet, is not gawdawful either. Although sometimes the topping choices throw me - at El Hornero, for example, it's possible to order a pizza that comes with sliced green olives and choclos (white corn) on top. (It's their vegetarian, which is actually an awesome pizza - along with the green olives and corn, it also has artichoke hearts, caramelized red onions, and more mushrooms than you can shake a stick at.)

ETA - And if any of you are wondering why I cite "real pizza sauce" as a concern, please consider that at least three of the big four down here use this sweetened, runny stuff that may have once been shown a tomato and perhaps had some herbs waved in it general direction, and have the temerity to call that pizza sauce. The two regionals use thick, well-spiced, tangy tomato sauces, which are worthy of the name.

Edited by Panaderia Canadiense (log)

Elizabeth Campbell, baking 10,000 feet up at 1° South latitude.

My eG Food Blog (2011)My eG Foodblog (2012)

I am a great patron, however, of the regional chains El Hornero (excellent Uruguayan-style deep dish pizzas, real pizza sauce), and Ali's (excellent NY-style thin-crust pizzas, real pizza sauce).

I know what NY-style pizzas are. But please enlighten me: what's an Uruguayan-style pizza? How does it differ from other deep dish pizza?

MelissaH

MelissaH

Oswego, NY

Chemist, writer, hired gun

Say this five times fast: "A big blue bucket of blue blueberries."

foodblog1 | kitchen reno | foodblog2

Principally in the crust, I think - it's thicker than a Chicago-style pizza, but properly cooked - my guess is it's probably blind-baked before it's filled. The approach to cheese is different as well - strong-flavoured ones, like Angochagua, feature in a middle layer, and the top is fresh mozza with something quite sharp, like Manchego.

Elizabeth Campbell, baking 10,000 feet up at 1° South latitude.

My eG Food Blog (2011)My eG Foodblog (2012)

Am I the only one who likes Sbarro's?

You may be. My principal experience with Sbarro's has been at JFK Airport when I'm not flying JetBlue, and the pizza has invariably been tasteless and greasy according to everyone who's eaten it.

MelissaH

MelissaH

Oswego, NY

Chemist, writer, hired gun

Say this five times fast: "A big blue bucket of blue blueberries."

foodblog1 | kitchen reno | foodblog2

• 4 weeks later...

My husband adores pizza of any sort. He generally orders Papa Johns or sometimes he will pick up a Little Caesar's take and carry. I used to be a fan of pizza Hut pan pizza and their breadsticks but there isn't a PH near us for delivery and my last few experiences were that it is very greasy -- I guess it was good in my much younger days but can't handle it now. We had Papa Murphy's recently and it wasn't bad. I am just finicky about crust. I would prefer to get thin but my husband prefers more substantial chewy crust.

I used to love the Domino's pepperoni just because they cook it so the pepperoni's would curl up and get crispy on the pizza.

We have 1 good local place but it's about double what Papa John's will cost us (of course you get what you pay for) - they are fairly close but don't deliver.

I harbor a (not so) secret love of Mr. P.'s pepperoni which has been discontinued form my grocery store. But I think it's some childhood taste memory of the cafeteria pizza cause I am fully aware that at 1.00 per Mr. P. it's got to be absolute dreck. Probably best for my health that those have become harder to find!