• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Finally – they invented a proofing box for the home user

KitchenQueen

Finally, a proofing box for the home user. I've preodered mine and they should ship Thursday.

I've been waiting for someone to invent this for years.

Humidity and temp controlled. Folds flat, yippee :wub:

I Googled, some important people got samples to test. The reviews were fantactic.

Supposed to be great for melting chocolate and making yogurt too.

Big enough for the tall Kitchenaid bowl to fit inside, or a 9X13 pan.

http://brodandtaylor.com/

I don't know what you would do if you want to proof your dough at a low temperature on a hot 95 F degree day. Some people feel that lower temperature proofing gives a better tasting bread.

It is much better to buy a personal refrigerator/warmer that uses a solid state device (Very inexpensive on eBay), and run it thru a pid or an aquarium temperature controller.

You can proof your dough from 45 F to 140 F.

dcarch

Can't speak for others, but the day my kitchen hits 95 degrees, I'll be in a hotel waiting for the AC guy to finish his repairs.

My house is 72. 24/7.

And I know I can proof dough at lower temps.

But for most of my breadmaking I don't.

And because I'm tired of the rigs I've made over the years, and I want it ! :raz:

Please let us know how the product performs and whether you like it or not.

It's a new product so there may be a learning curve on both the part of users and the manufacturer.

Contacted the manufacturer and currently they cannot tell me where it is manufactured.-Dick

Yup.

It's called a "picnic cooler"....

Airtight and with no fan to blow around air, so the dough doesn't crust over, and no need for plastic bags or oil spray.

No heating element, so the dough doesn't get too warm, partially bake, or for croissants, bleed butter all over the place.

Of course, proofing this way takes more time and a little more planning, but makes for a richer coloured crust and better flavour.....

Alas, they offer only UPS Standard to Canada. That is $40 for shipping, plus some rape for brokerage fees on arrival. Brod and Taylor, if you are reading this, offer USPS. Please. I suppose I could do an odgensburg run (1 hr drive each way) if I could time it with another shipment, but with back-order that isn't really practical.

A Thermoelectric Cooler/heater Peltier device can be bought for under $5.00

An aquarium temperature controller is about $20.00

Add a $5.00 fan

You can have a proofing box that keeps accurate temperature from cold to hot, or a chicken incubator, or a yogurt maker or --------

To keep humidity, just put a wet towel inside the box.

dcarch

Edited by dcarch (log)

A peltier cooler/heater can go from 45 F to 150 F depending on ambient temperature and the size of the box.

With a digital temperature controller, it would seem to me that tempering chocolate should not be a problem

dcarch

OK, but - it says it tempers chocolate. If it really does, it would be MUCH cheaper than the temperer that I have on my wishlist right now ($465!!!). Mr. Kim might actually spring for this (the temperer has been on my wishlist for almost 10 years).

http://brodandtaylor.com/bread-more/chocolate/

It can melt chocolate in preparation for you to temper it, its not a tempering machine. With that little video on the side, it shows you how to melt chocolate and dip strawberries, I'd get some more information before jumping on this one. For some reason I would have my doubts that a container of melted chocolate with the lid open on the proofer (allowing you to dip) would actually be the same temperature as what reads on the digital display.

some reason I would have my doubts that a container of melted chocolate with the lid open on the proofer (allowing you to dip) would actually be the same temperature as what reads on the digital display.

Yes and no....

No it is not a tempering machine.

However....

If the chocolate to be melted is in good temper to begin with, and the melting temp never exceeds 31 Celcius, the resulting melted choc is still in temper. To do this, it takes some time, usually somewhere around 2 hrs per pound. I have seen Chefs do this with the pilot light of a commerial gas oven, the top surface of a Bunn-omatic coffee brewer station, on top of the espresso machine and even with an electric heating blanket.

• 2 weeks later...

Kerry,

I'm not sure I understand your question. The proofer was 'on the mark' with the temps I set. It never varied more than 3-4 degrees. Tops.

And that is probably because I was opening the lid too often like a kid with a new toy.

I am a bread baker, not a chocolatier, so I'm not sure if this is right for you. But this puppy works.

I have 2 new loaves of bread . The rise was perfection and identical.

I don't have anything to do with this company. I just know I'm glad I bought it. And I was able to to cook my shortribs in my LC beforehand because my oven was free....Works for me !

Kerry,

I'm not sure I understand your question. The proofer was 'on the mark' with the temps I set. It never varied more than 3-4 degrees. Tops.

And that is probably because I was opening the lid too often like a kid with a new toy.

I am a bread baker, not a chocolatier, so I'm not sure if this is right for you. But this puppy works.

I have 2 new loaves of bread . The rise was perfection and identical.

I don't have anything to do with this company. I just know I'm glad I bought it. And I was able to to cook my shortribs in my LC beforehand because my oven was free....Works for me !

So what I'm saying is that if the temperature varies 3 to 4 degrees - that's too much variability for tempering chocolate.

A Thermoelectric Cooler/heater Peltier device can be bought for under $5.00

An aquarium temperature controller is about $20.00

Add a $5.00 fan

You can have a proofing box that keeps accurate temperature from cold to hot, or a chicken incubator, or a yogurt maker or --------

To keep humidity, just put a wet towel inside the box.

dcarch

Do you use a computer fan for something like this? Can they run off regular wall current if they are spliced into a power cord?

I'll take your word for it Kerry. My chocolate experience is strictly "home kitchen". Yours is expert.

I realize this is not for everyone.

It's a bread proofer with other uses. I was simply trying to let other members here know it exists. :wink:

I like it. For those other posters who have better ideas and methods, I say go for it !

• 2 weeks later...

Okay guys,

That variance in temp I had was even more extreme at different setting. Turns out mine was faulty. The shipped me a new one in two days with a return label for the original. No hassle,no arguments.

The new one is on the nose. I absolutely love it. I'm getting a better rise is so many things, and everything is consistent.

I bake and lot and I love this thing.

FYI, I noticed the website now has a free 30 day trial through the end of December. Full refund including shipping if you don't like it and return it within 30 days.

:wub:

It occurs to me that a proofing box would be invaluable for making salt-rising bread. The bread relies on a temperamental milk-and-cornmeal starter (no yeast), and the rising dough needs to be kept at at steady 90-110 degrees for up to sixteen hours before baking. Maintaining the proper warmth has always been one of the trickier aspects of making this delicious old-fashioned bread.