• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Favorite home made sandwiches

gfweb

I am not much of a sandwich person but there are a few that I would/have/do make for myself at home:

After Thanksgiving - leftover turkey on white bread with mayo, salt and lots of black pepper.

Ripe tomato on white bread with mayo, S&P.

Ripe tomato on toasted multigrain with mayo, S&P, lettuce, avocado, sprouts and bacon doesn't hurt!

Tuna salad sandwich.

Banana and peanut butter or banana and mayo.

Grilled cheese - infinite variations.

As a kid we used to have a huge garden and often had ripe tomato BLTs then we would also add whatever other veggies fresh from the garden - onion, bell pepper slices, cucumber slices, radishes.

Fried egg on toast.

Egg Salad sandwich.

When I go out I like italian sandwiches with ham, pepperoni, salami, etc. but they never taste the same when I make them at home. Nor do Banh mi. Or my favorite from the mediterranean deli - hummus, tomato, pickles (their pickles are perfect), lettuce, and tahini.

Egg salad sandwich with crispy bacon on white toast. Egg salad is hard cooked eggs, Hellman's mayo, minced onion, minced celery and s&p, with maybe a little Old Bay added in.

Also, crisp cooked bacon on one-side-only toasted white bread with :shock: ketchup.

"Commit random acts of senseless kindness"

In cooler weather, a Croques Monsieur with caraway split-pea soup.Croques-Monsieur 01102010_07.JPG

In warmer weather, warmed whole-wheat pita with mayo, bacon, cheddar, tomato, and spicy (alfafa and radish) sprouts.

Very favorite, but time intensive: 64o SV egg yolks on buttered white toast with bacon, S&P. The yolks spread like lemon curd. Before SV I used to cook the eggs medium in my Chef's Choice egg cooker, but it was hard to get a consistent yolk with a white that would peel off relatively easily. The SV eggs allow for "rinsing" off the white under a stream of warm water. I can hardly believe my mother was able to achieve almost the same results with carefully fried eggs (yolk just cooked enough where I could disect off the whites) while I was growing up.

Photo happens to show bacon jam rather than bacon.Bacon Jam & Egg Sand03092011_03.JPG

Inventing the Universe

Here in the South, we don't hide crazy. We parade it on the front porch and give it a cocktail.

The devil is in the details but God is in the fat.

• 4 months later...

While looking up more info on Deviled Egg day (today) I discovered that tomorrow is National Sandwich Day...so what's on the menu?

If you ate pasta and antipasto, would you still be hungry? ~Author Unknown

While looking up more info on Deviled Egg day (today) I discovered that tomorrow is National Sandwich Day...so what's on the menu?

Three friends will be visiting for lunch so I am preparing Cuban sandwiches. I baked some Cuban bread, roasted a small pork tenderloin and have a nice chunk of black forest ham.

Swiss cheese is traditional but I have some nice provolone from IGourmet and am breaking out a jar of my bread and butter pickles because we like them.

I'm going to use my vintage Sunbeam sandwich press as it heats more evenly than the newer ones.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

If I didn't think it would cause major marital discord to bring yet another appliance into the house I'd get a sandwich press. As it is I have to muddle along with smooshing sandwiches in need of toasting between two cast iron pans.

Xili-I honestly don't think I've ever had mortadella, I always get sidetracked by the prosciutto at the deli counter :laugh:

Andi-Did you know that it was National Sandwich Day tomorrow? Or you are you just that prepared for sandwich making all the time...lol...

Open-faced sandwich on whole wheat toast with natural peanut butter, tomato, lettuce, salt and black pepper.

Pita sandwich with chickpeas, onions, tomatoes, cucumber, black olives, shredded lettuce, feta cheese, etc. with a yogurt sauce.

Toasted sesame bagel with cream cheese, tomatoes, and sweet onion.

Tuna mixed with mayonnaise, cumin powder, lemon juice, black olives, roasted red peppers, green chiles, etc. on a crusty baguette, topped with melted extra sharp cheddar.

Open-faced chicken sandwiches with sliced chicken breast, mixed with BBQ sauce, on a baguette topped with sliced onion and melted cheddar.

There's nothing better than a good friend, except a good friend with CHOCOLATE.

Grilled jerked* chicken breast, bias cut into strips, served on grilled, buttered, mayo'd homemade sourdough bread with garden tomatoes and butter lettuce. No cheese. Cheese would ruin this sandwich.

In my opinion, this is the ultimate sandwich.

I make a mean muffaletta, too. But nothing says "comfort food" to me like a sourdough jerk chicken sandwich.

*Busha Browne's jerk seasoning. Accept no substitutes.

Who cares how time advances? I am drinking ale today. -- Edgar Allan Poe

For me nothing beats WalkersWood jerk paste , except maybe when I dry rub my homemade smoked scotch bonnet powder into the meat first before rubbing with walkserswood paste. I do that on a pork loin every once in awhile and then slow smoke it over hardwood. My Jamacian bro-in-law is always wanting me to make more of it for him.

"Why is the rum always gone?"

Captain Jack Sparrow

Not my favorate, but good for me once in a while: liverwurst with grape jelly on toast.

Wow, I haven't thought of that for years. My mom used to serve that for breakfast sometimes.

If I didn't think it would cause major marital discord to bring yet another appliance into the house I'd get a sandwich press. As it is I have to muddle along with smooshing sandwiches in need of toasting between two cast iron pans.

Xili-I honestly don't think I've ever had mortadella, I always get sidetracked by the prosciutto at the deli counter :laugh:

Andi-Did you know that it was National Sandwich Day tomorrow? Or you are you just that prepared for sandwich making all the time...lol...

I had planned on today's lunch menu a couple of weeks ago, not knowing about Sandwich day.

Two of my friends are from south Florida and asked if I had planned on making Cuban sandwiches,(big hint) which I often do when they visit. They all live in Cambria and are on their way to Phoenix for some kind of convention on Sat. & Sun. and are making a few fun stops along the way. Right now they are finishing breakfast and waiting for an antique store in Tehachapi to open... Ah, the joy of cell phone communications!

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

Cold sandwich: tuna fish guacamole with queso fresco, a nice slice of black tomato, and plenty of salt.

Are you saying "tuna fish, guacamole, with queso fresco"? Or do you have a recipe for tuna fish guacamole. Because if you do, I'd like to know more about it.

Nope, I'm saying "tuna fish guacamole, with queso fresco." Tuna-based guacamole begins with a tin of chunk-light tuna, drained of its water or oil. This goes into the bowl with one or two nicely ripe avocadoes, a squirt of mayo (home-made preferred), and finely chopped dill pickles or dilled carrots. Squeeze a lime into that, and mash until smooth-ish. Add fresh chopped basil, parsely, and toronjil (lemon verbena), and stir again. Taste. If it seems to be lacking a certain something, try a couple of drips of Worcestershire sauce.

Spread that on your fresh bread of choice, slap on the cheese and tomato, salt, and you're good to go!

Elizabeth Campbell, baking 10,000 feet up at 1° South latitude.

My eG Food Blog (2011)My eG Foodblog (2012)

For me nothing beats WalkersWood jerk paste , except maybe when I dry rub my homemade smoked scotch bonnet powder into the meat first before rubbing with walkserswood paste. I do that on a pork loin every once in awhile and then slow smoke it over hardwood. My Jamacian bro-in-law is always wanting me to make more of it for him.

I've tried them both, and I prefer the Busha Browne's Walkerswood paste (octagonal jar, red script, pith helmet dude on front) to Walkerswood paste (yellow and red bottle, mom with cradle on front (always thought that was weird)).

I'd post pictures, but I can't find any that aren't obviously copyrighted.

Who cares how time advances? I am drinking ale today. -- Edgar Allan Poe

Try it next time and let me know how it goes. I love prosciutto too :-)

The sandwich today...was in cookie form!

Chocolate chip walnut sandwich cookie with cream cheese filling...Happy Sandwich Day! What can I say, my husband wanted Korean Grilled Chicken for dinner... :rolleyes:

cookie.jpg