• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Getting the stickers off stuff

Fat Guy

I'm wrestling with some very stubborn price/product/sku stickers on a few items ranging from ceramic bowls to plastic organizer baskets. What is the definitive trick for getting rid of them?

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

Zippo Lighter Fluid.

So we finish the eighteenth and he's gonna stiff me. And I say, "Hey, Lama, hey, how about a little something, you know, for the effort, you know." And he says, "Oh, uh, there won't be any money. But when you die, on your deathbed, you will receive total consciousness."

So I got that goin' for me, which is nice.

Zippo Lighter Fluid.

Agreed. It doesn't leave a residue like Goo Gone can, and, it will remove almost any adhesive without damaging paper. It's a favorite in collector circles because it won't damage packaging -for items where the package may represent half or more of the value of the item.

Depends on the adhesive: some respond best to heat/moisture, some to oil and organic solvents (not so many these days, in my experience), others are best carefully scraped off with a blade (you may want to test before applying a solvent like lighter fluid to plastic).

I usually start by soaking the sorts of things you describe in hot water, if the label doesn't peel off, or peels off incompletely. Then I just rub at the label or spot of residue, which takes care of most cases.

Michaela, aka "Mjx"
Manager, eG Forums
mscioscia@egstaff.org

Yes, it all depends ...

... on the adhesive, as Mjx said.

... on the label material. Plastic labels are pretty impermeable, so soaking them in anything doesn't do much. They are usually strong enough to peel though, especially with a bit of warmth (from hairdryers, central heating radiators, sunshine, or even a low oven). When peeling, and trying to get a delicate label to hold together, go slowly. A smaller force for a longer time will separate the adhesive with less risk of tearing the label.

... and on the substrate. A pan scourer will remove stubborn residues from glass, but don't think of using one on plastics. Be very careful with plastics and organic chemical solvents - whether proprietary sprays, lighter fluid, nail varnish remover, or whatever. Surface damage may not appear immediately, so 'testing on an inconspicuous area" may lead to overconfidence. And of course, be careful with (thermo)plastics and heat.

For removing stubborn sticky traces from delicate surfaces, including soft plastics, try using fresh clear sticky tape (Sellotape/Scotch tape), in a repeated touch and peel motion. The old adhesive sticks to the new adhesive, so you can (again gently) peel it away.

WD40 is a remarkable solvent. It worked beautifully the other day to remove sticky resinous sap after cutting a Cupressus Leylandii - and that is one very tenacious natural adhesive!

"If you wish to make an apple pie from scratch ... you must first invent the universe." - Carl Sagan

Coincidentally, in unpacking a box from storage over the weekend, I found two bottles of Goo Gone. I didn't even know we had any. How is it applied? Does it really not do any damage to the underlying material?

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

Goo Gone usually leaves an oily residue that needs soap and water to remove. Otherwise it doesn't hurt the surface it's working on.

Soak a piece of cotton or a corner of paper towel and scrub with that on the sticky. Leaving the soaked cotton on the sticky for a minute or two also makes the job easier.

Edited by Linda Rose (log)

One more: lacquer thinner, my go-to sticker remover. Of course, it's toxic as can be but I have it handy in my studio where I used to use it with regularity. Can't use it on some plastics...it takes the plastic too.

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

Oil works well for some items. I also use rubbing alchol to remove any remaining sticker and oil residue. In a pinch, I've found a dab of vodka will do the trick as well.

"The main thing to remember about Italian food is that when you put your groceries in the car, the quality of your dinner has already been decided." – Mario Batali

acetone

It melts plastic, so can't be used on it.

I don't like GooGone or the other similar removers.

For many, many years I have used Avon's Skin So Soft bath oil. If the sticker is on the bottom of a bowl and there is a depression, I dribble some on and allow it to soak for an hour or so then lift the label off, wash the bowl.

If it's on a convex surface, I soak either cotton or a paper towel in the oil cover the label and check it from time to time.

Plastic coated labels respond to gentle heating, but often leave a sticky residue that comes off with the Avon product.

Edited by andiesenji (log)

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

I've always used WD-40 with excellent results, it's never damaged anything. A little soap and water afterwards is required to remove the residue.

I've learned that artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.