• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Netherlands makes big push for insects as food

Fat Guy

The New York Times reports that there's a Dutch movement afoot to popularize the eating of bugs as a superior protein source.

The efforts of Mr. Van Dongen and Sligro, a chain of 25 membership-only warehouse stores throughout the Netherlands, are part of a drive to convince the Dutch that crickets, worms and caterpillars are healthier sources of protein, and are less taxing on the environment, than steaks and pork chops.

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

The global population is supposed to hit 7 million next year so I think bugs-as-food is inevitable. So far, I've only had them by accident and I'm still a long, long way from embracing them as a yummy meal replacement.

Peter Gamble aka "Peter the eater"

I just made a cornish game hen with chestnut stuffing. . .

Would you believe a pigeon stuffed with spam? . . .

Would you believe a rat filled with cough drops?

Moe Sizlack

Like other proteins that we eat, some of us get squeamish when we see it "on the hoof" or just block out where it came from in an attempt to deny that we are eating Daisy or Wilbur. That is why the vast masses seem to prefer the packaged cut up product; and please no heads or feet... Insects are so small it is kind of hard to hide their origin I imagine. Perhaps someone will come up with a more visually acceptable packaging and presentation. I have never been offered insects or sought them out, but I try to keep an open mind.

Depends on where the 'vast masses' live.

Bugs are popular snack foods in much of Asia.

Right, as well as in Mexico and other parts of Latin America. I was thinking of the US.