• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Christmas gifts for the cook (2010)

Darienne

Just reading OliverB's questions about the ISI whipper made me think about what I might like for Christmas. Our daughter always wants a list from us of possible presents to buy and I started my list yesterday. She's supposed to pick, not buy them all.

Lee Valley has this neat little mortar and pestle in which the pestle head fills the entire bowl. And I might like one of those pot clips that holds the spoon or whatever to the top of the pot. And I always could use more of the little super magnet knobs to pin recipes to the stove hood, lists to the fridge, etc.

I'd love to have the smallest ice cream scoop which would be neat for making truffles.

Not a list of very costly, extravagant presents, but then I don't want her to spend much money at all.

What are we all hoping for?

Edited by Darienne (log)

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

Darienne,

Do you have a link to the mortar and pestle you're talking about? I've been looking for one like that for a while.

Thanks!

Tracy

Here it is in the Lee Valley online catalog Cute little Dickens. :smile:

The green marble one? I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE mine! No bits of this and that scattered everywhere! Made a perfectly lovely blend of green goo from thyme and basil (both dried) with a slug of EVOO for my cans of beans salad, with NO mess! :wub:

"Commit random acts of senseless kindness"

Awesome! Thanks! Do you know if anyone else carries a similar one that's a bigger diameter? I have been unsuccessful in finding one, mainly, I guess, because I don't know what key words to use to search...

Tracy

Tracy

Lenexa, KS, USA

After reading through the two threads about the Thermomix, :wub: I have moved that to the top of my Christmas gift wish list.

Actually I can delete the rest of the items because when I get the Thermomix I will have no need of the others. :rolleyes:

I have a felling that this will be a gift from me to me! :laugh:

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

Hi Andie and I hope you get your Thermomix. Maybe you could ask Santa (yourself in another mode) and then pretend surprise when you find it Christmas morning.

Our daughter lives nearby a Lee Valley and a Toronto kitchen chain called Kitchen Stuff Plus, so I'll go to their on-line catalog and see what I can add to my list to give her more choice...as in they might be out of some items, etc.

What I would really like...and won't ask for or get...is one of those large multi-layered stainless steamer sets. Bamboo would be so much cheaper, but DH won't hear of using bamboo. Case closed. Life as we know it will carry on. :hmmm:

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

After reading through the two threads about the Thermomix, :wub: I have moved that to the top of my Christmas gift wish list.

Actually I can delete the rest of the items because when I get the Thermomix I will have no need of the others. :rolleyes:

That's funny - I was wondering how BADLY you were wanting one - cause I knew you'd be wanting one!

Edited by Kerry Beal (log)

That's finny - I was wondering how BADLY you were wanting one - cause I knew you'd be wanting one!

I was considering ordering one of the Kenwood cooking mixers that is not yet available here, however I wrote to the company and they answered that using the appliance with a voltage converter on regular 110 AC current would not be recommended - not enough power for the machine to operate optimally. No estimate on when it will be marketed here.

So, it looks like the Thermomix will be it. My daughter thinks I am nuts but won't say no to inheriting it when I am too decrepit to use it.... :laugh:

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

My suggestion is a ThermaPen

This gadget reads temp almost instantly, with a great large display. Got one as a gift a month or so ago and I love it! SO MUCH BETTER than my old one that seemed to take 30-60 seconds to truly register. 2-3 seconds with this baby and you're done. Comes on lots of cool colors too!

You can get the older version discounted now. The newer model which is splashproof costs about $100.

---------------------------------------------------------

"If you don't want to use butter, add cream."

Julia Child

I ordered the Thermomix this morning as they are offering free shipping until 11/15. Being a "thrifty" soul, I figured saving the shipping charges counts toward my frugality index!! :biggrin:

I ordered the Thermomix this morning as they are offering free shipping until 11/15. Being a "thrifty" soul, I figured saving the shipping charges counts toward my frugality index!! :biggrin:

Congratulations, girl. Now when it arrives, wrap it up and put it away until Christmas. NOT!

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

Congratulations, girl. Now when it arrives, wrap it up and put it away until Christmas. NOT!

Right! Like that is going to happen.... :laugh:

Nice, where did you get it from?

I ordered from this place: http://thermomixbimby.com/where-to-buy-thermomix/thermomix-bimby-in-usa-canada

I filled out the inquiry form and had an email reply within a few hours.

I also phoned and the person to whom I spoke was very nice.

I'd like a SousVide Supreme™ <click> for $399.

My chances are slim, so I'll prepare myself for the stocking full of weird condiments from around the world.

Peter Gamble aka "Peter the eater"

I just made a cornish game hen with chestnut stuffing. . .

Would you believe a pigeon stuffed with spam? . . .

Would you believe a rat filled with cough drops?

Moe Sizlack

I already ordered mine: EdgePro Apex 4 sharpening kit (plus a bunch of stuff for my guitar). Living overseas you have to plan waay ahead. ;)

In January we'll be in Oz, so I'll pick up the rest of my 'gifts' (Mrs. Meshugana gives me a budget): New global knife, magnetic knife rack, knife blade covers, and instant thermometer pen.

"It's beginning to look a lot like Christmas!"

PastaMeshugana

"The roar of the greasepaint, the smell of the crowd."

"What's hunger got to do with anything?" - My Father

My first Novella: The Curse of Forgetting

(Mrs. Meshugana gives me a budget)

"It's beginning to look a lot like Christmas!"

Now let's see, hmmm pastameshugana, uh Mrs. Meshugana........CHRISTMAS :wacko:

LOL........ :raz:

edited for grammar & spelling. I do it 95% of my posts so I'll state it here. :)

"I have never developed indigestion from eating my words."-- Winston Churchill

Talk doesn't cook rice. ~ Chinese Proverb

I want one of the Kitchen-Aid paddles that does a complete swipe of the bowl and eliminates having to stop/start machines to scrape down the sides with a spatula. They're only $25 -- I have no idea why I haven't bought one already. :rolleyes:

Rhonda

I want one of the Kitchen-Aid paddles that does a complete swipe of the bowl and eliminates having to stop/start machines to scrape down the sides with a spatula. They're only $25 -- I have no idea why I haven't bought one already. :rolleyes:

Rhonda

I received one as a gift and it's terrific! Hope Santa brings you one or you spring for one yourself. :smile:

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Ooh, I couldn't think of anything that I wanted, but that, that's what I want!

I'm gonna go bake something…

wanna come with?

Rhonda

Is it only for K.A. or will it work on a Cuisinart too ?

edited for grammar & spelling. I do it 95% of my posts so I'll state it here. :)

"I have never developed indigestion from eating my words."-- Winston Churchill

Talk doesn't cook rice. ~ Chinese Proverb

Rhonda

Is it only for K.A. or will it work on a Cuisinart too ?

You simply buy the one made FOR the Cuisinart.

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope.