• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Leftovers that Make You Say "Yes!"

Ok, I am shameless when it comes to leftovers. Cold leftover KFC chicken for breakfast, spagetti w/ tomato meat sauce is better the next day, particularly when made into a spagetti sandwich (no joke, it's good)

"I eat fat back, because bacon is too lean"

-overheard from a 105 year old man

"The only time to eat diet food is while waiting for the steak to cook" - Julia Child

Pasta excites me the most, especially in the summer, because you can have something supurb in just a few minutes. However, I'm shameless with leftovers, too. A potato salad sandwich is a pretty good supper, and if you eat it on a paper towel, there's nothing to clean up, either. :raz:

Like buying an extra-large pizza so there will be something for breakfast in the morning.

Yes! Do you refrigerate it? I've noticed that bad pizza will be really bad when it's been refrigerated and eaten cold.

Oh, yeah, Chinese takeaway. My fave!

ETA: Chinese food

Amen on that. I adore leftover chinese food, although I am sometimes loathe to reheat it. Is it heresy to eat it cold? :shock::laugh:

A potato salad sandwich is a pretty good supper, and if you eat it on a paper towel, there's nothing to clean up, either. :raz:

You, my good poster, are a genius and I thought it should be pointed out to one and all.

It reminds me of a friend who, at Thanksgiving, was searching for some leftover turkey for a sandwich only to find the carcass stripped bare. Thus he invented the stuffing sandwich, one of mankind's most redundant meals.

Monuments have been erected for lesser inventions. :cool:

edited to clarify, like buttah

Edited by Toliver (log)

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

After a 15-person Danish lunch, you have leftover akvavit? Yes!

Ah but what our guests don't know is that we decant a portion of the akvavit into a smaller bottle and stash it in the downstairs freezer!

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Like buying an extra-large pizza so there will be something for breakfast in the morning.

Yes! Do you refrigerate it? I've noticed that bad pizza will be really bad when it's been refrigerated and eaten cold.

It is an acquired taste. I'll have a slice or two cold for breakfast. Warmed up for other meals.

Holly Moore

"I eat, therefore I am."

HollyEats.Com

Twitter

15-hour workday yesterday, and I came home expecting nothing worthwhile for a late-night dinner. But sitting in the fridge was a bowl of cold, unsauced spaghetti that made my heart leap with joy. Crushed and sauteed a couple of cloves of garlic in salted olive oil, sprinkled a few flakes of crushed red pepper, tossed the spaghetti in the oily mess, and grated parmigiano reggiano over the top: spaghetti aglio e olio from the gods.

Most leftovers make me sigh, cringe, or gag. What are the leftovers that make you sing when you discover them?

Ahh the key ingredient, pasta water, was missing.

Amen on that. I adore leftover chinese food, although I am sometimes loathe to reheat it. Is it heresy to eat it cold? :shock::laugh:

Good lord, no! Cold is the best way, unless it was deep fried to begin with! Cold mu-shoo pork is one of my best loved breakfasts, and if I have something like an eggroll that was deep fried, I just "skin" it and eat the innards. More goodies, less fat! :laugh:

"Commit random acts of senseless kindness"

We consider the whole point of making a meatloaf is to have cold meatloaf, on white bread, with lettuce, mayo, pepper and mustard.

leftover stew.. you go to all the trouble to make stew, why make a small one, it only gets better re-heated.

---------------------------------------

15-hour workday yesterday, and I came home expecting nothing worthwhile for a late-night dinner. But sitting in the fridge was a bowl of cold, unsauced spaghetti that made my heart leap with joy. Crushed and sauteed a couple of cloves of garlic in salted olive oil, sprinkled a few flakes of crushed red pepper, tossed the spaghetti in the oily mess, and grated parmigiano reggiano over the top: spaghetti aglio e olio from the gods.

Most leftovers make me sigh, cringe, or gag. What are the leftovers that make you sing when you discover them?

Ahh the key ingredient, pasta water, was missing.

From the post, not the dish. :wink:

Chris Amirault

eG Ethics Signatory

Sir Luscious got gator belts and patty melts

:cool:

O Lord. Tonight's dinner is homemade mushroom soup, with three kinds of mushrooms, and shallots, and unsalted butter, and herbs, and and and.

One of the reasons to make this soup is to have an excuse to add cream, and/or a homemade crouton, and/or the odd steamed (or sauteed) green vegetable. One takes the ensemble to work, refrigerates it until noontime, stirs and heats it up suitably, and waits for the aroma to make the colleagues moan in envy.

:biggrin:

Me, I vote for the joyride every time.

-- 2/19/2004

With leftover unsauced spaghetti my weakness is a crispy noodle nest. I use butter, and saute the noodles over a modest heat in a cast-iron pan in a relatively thin layer, turning infrequently til both sides are various shades of golden and crisp. It often doesn't really hold together like a pancake, but ends up a bit jumbled. No matter, it's deeply good. When my daughter was little (and before she liked red sauce) it was a staple.

A potato salad sandwich is a pretty good supper, and if you eat it on a paper towel, there's nothing to clean up, either. :raz:

You, my good poster, are a genius and I thought it should be pointed out to one and all.

It reminds me of a friend who, at Thanksgiving, was searching for some leftover turkey for a sandwich only to find the carcass stripped bare. Thus he invented the stuffing sandwich, one of mankind's most redundant meals.

Monuments have been erected for lesser inventions. :cool:

Add a thin slice of ham to that potato salad sandwich and you have ambrosia...

Seems to me that most leftovers are better eaten cold unless they're very greasy.

If no one else is at home and there are leftover mashed potatoes in the fridge, I reheat them on the stove, adding cheeses I have on hand and maybe sour cream if I have it. I then add a large amount of frozen peas to the mixture, which is something I only eat secretly because it's so trashy.

If no one else is at home and there are leftover mashed potatoes in the fridge, I reheat them on the stove, adding cheeses I have on hand and maybe sour cream if I have it. I then add a large amount of frozen peas to the mixture, which is something I only eat secretly because it's so trashy.

You forgot the gravy!

For me it would be leftover stews:

Beef Mechado

Afritada

Beef stew (American version)

Leftover pesto pasta. YUM

Hubby's Kentucky barbequed baby back ribs. *swoon*

Doddie aka Domestic Goddess

"Nobody loves pork more than a Filipino"

eGFoodblog: Adobo and Fried Chicken in Korea

The dark side... my own blog: A Box of Jalapenos

There is never anyone "else" in my home, so leftover mashed potatoes get pressed into a cake with chives, and fried in butter, for a lovely crusty treat! Never thought about the cheese, though. Thanks for the idea! Try leftover sourcream-based dip, for a different flavor profile.

"Commit random acts of senseless kindness"

Sunday's roast chicken is Monday's sliced chicken (with herbed mayonnaise, and on homemade honey wheat bread this week) sandwich, and Tuesday's chicken quesadilla, and Wednesday's or Thursday's cold chicken leg to gnaw on with a salad.

I've been very glad that Chicago's early summer has been cooler than normal; I get to have some more home-reasted chicken without turning on the A/C. And the bones are in the freezer so I can have good chicken stock, down the road.

Yum.

Me, I vote for the joyride every time.

-- 2/19/2004

My kid will not eat breakfast foods. She eats whatever is leftover from dinner last night, whatever it is, cold.

If there isn't anything left over, she eats things like pickles or tomatoes, right out of hand like an apple.

My favorite leftover is a Grand Marnier Cranberry Trifle which I make for Thanksgiving and Christmas. I make two bowls, one big enough for the family, which can be 20-ish people, and one bowl for 20-ish people that lives in my fridge for a week afterward so I can eat it cold and increasingly alcohol soaked constantly, one luscious bite at a time.

I never make lasagne or meat loaf or chili and serve it the same day. I always do them the day ahead of time.

Leftover baked potatoes make fabulous french fries, so I always bake about ten extra. French fries are a food group unto themselves, especially once you add the other vegetable, ketchup.

“Don't kid yourself, Jimmy. If a cow ever got the chance, he'd eat you and everyone you care about!”

• 2 weeks later...

We are a family who loves leftovers for the most part. I tend to make a lot of foods that actually taste BETTER the next day though I think.

Curries are a treat. I love to find that other half of my steak to have with breakfast...

• 1 month later...

Any braised meat that can be shredded, reheated in a skillet and served over rice. Which you have made extra of, so you can put it in the fridge, so you can make fried rice later in the week. Any kind of legumes. Anything with a base of tomatos or tomato sauce.

And pound cake, which, leftover makes both marvelous toast, and great sandwiches with fruit-and-cheese filling.

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com