• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Sign in to follow this  
avant-garde

The Alinea Cookbook

Also, this is a book that should likely sell for a lot more than $50 ... we are all fortunate to get one at that price, whenever it arrives.

I wouldn't be overly surprised if, in Alinea fashion, there was something else included when the pre-orders do arrive based on this comment by Nick Kokonas on the Mosaic:

"The book shops put it out earlier than they were supposed to...

that said, you are getting something a bit different.... :-)"

Marc Lepine

Atelier Restaurant

Ottawa

Two full days were spent signing the books, re-shrink wrapping them, placing them in the limited edition sleeves, and then shrink wrapping the result. Next week they all ship out to all of you. Thank you for your patience.. I know some book sellers have jumped the gun... but none of them will have this edition.

I don't think we're getting anything surprising, just this special cover and the sigs. As many others have said, a few extra days and paying full price is hardly a concern in comparison to what we'll receive.

Ordered my copy, and I don't even know where I'll be living next fall.  I may well buy a couple copies, one for the family and a personal copy for myself.

How much is the Alinea cookbook and is can you still get it signed by grant achatz?

"Only dull people are brilliant at breakfast"

Oscar Wilde

Thanks for the votes of confidence everyone.

The book stores were supposed to hold them until October 15th. Given the size of the books it doesn't surprise me that they put them out early.

I posted a few pictures in the Mosaic forums of the signing sessions and the sleeved edition. The book is the same book, but we had Grant, Martin, Lara and me sign each and every one of the first 3,500 off the line. Each was then shrink wrapped again and placed in a sleeve. They will ship out on the 8th or so and everyone should have theirs by the 15th.

The Mosaic will get new content at that point as well and we will get out of beta and start more regular updates. It will also be open to the public at that point... just hit the sign up button.

Finally, we will sell sleeved copies that are unsigned of the second edition at $ 75 through our website -- which is already being printed. The cost of the books, shipping, and the sleeves exceeded our projections, so while we can wholesale the book to Amazon and do just fine (and they barely take a mark-up at $ 30), once we add the sleeve we have to increase the price. So early buyers got a deal.

We are fortunate enough to have sold out through our channels the 5,000 books we ordered for our outlets (3,500 of the limited ones + some regular copies for events and the restaurant) and 25,000+ wholesale orders. So we have editions 2 and 3 already ordered.

I completely understand the frustration, if any, by people who ordered early and are getting them after the folks who paid less through retail outlets. If I had to do it again I would have ensured that our supply chain did not get ahead of schedule on the wholesale side. We are right on our schedule -- almost to the day -- and it is a live and learn type situation. That said, you will be getting a copy signed by Grant and the team that created the book....

Edited by nick.kokonas (log)

Is anyone having difficulty logging in to mosaic?

Yep. Something tells me they may be making some modifications to the Mosaic site and that could be causing an issue with logging in. I know they were supposed to be "opening up" the site as well, so I don't know if that has anything to do with it...

I got my shipping confirmation email today. (I bought through the site). If only it would be here before this weekend, but I doubt the USPS can get it here in one day.

Yeah, they posted on the mosaic that all U.S. orders went out yesterday and all international orders would be going out today. Shouldn't be long now (although my last l'epicerie order has been stuck in customs almost a week now so we'll see).

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

Anyone going to the Alinea Cookbook release party at Thomas Masters gallery here in Chicago tomorrow? It's a $120.00 a couple including a signed copy of the book, some small bites, and reserve wines. I'm looking forward to it.

Nice review of the Alinea book by Fabio Parasecoli in the latest issue of The Art of Eating.

While the recipes can hardly become part of your every day cooking, this book is far too interesting to be left on the coffee table.

I remain anxiously awaiting receipt of my copy.

John Sconzo, M.D. aka "docsconz"

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

- Ferran Adria on eGullet 12/16/2004.

Docsconz - Musings on Food and Life

Slow Food Saratoga Region - Co-Founder

Twitter - @docsconz

Has anyone outside the US (and possibly Canada) gotten a shipping confirmation email?

Nice review of the Alinea book by Fabio Parasecoli in the latest issue of The Art of Eating

Is there an online copy somewhere?

I believe that it is print only.

John Sconzo, M.D. aka "docsconz"

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

- Ferran Adria on eGullet 12/16/2004.

Docsconz - Musings on Food and Life

Slow Food Saratoga Region - Co-Founder

Twitter - @docsconz

Mine came in the mail just now. And wouldn't you know, the rest of this week I have way too many other things to do to browse!

MelissaH

MelissaH

Oswego, NY

Chemist, writer, hired gun

Say this five times fast: "A big blue bucket of blue blueberries."

foodblog1 | kitchen reno | foodblog2

I received mine in the mail yesterday. Despite having a full schedule for the next few days, I justified digging into this by telling myself that, considering the weight of the book, I would not only be educating and entertaining myself, but also working out at the same time. I'll just press it above my head a few times and call it my excercise for the day. :cool:

The release party held at Thomas Masters Gallery here in Chicago was a great surprise. Guests at any one time was probably 60 to 100 guests plus a number of Alinea chefs and servers including Chef Achatz. There was six food "stations" some direct from the book including Bacon w/ Butterscotch, Apple, and Lime....Foie Gras w/ Spicy Cinnamon Puff, and Apple Candy....Wine Poached Quince w/ Fall Aromas, plus a few others. Louis Roederer champagne was flowing freely the entire evening. Quite a steal for $120.00 a couple including a copy of the book generously signed by the chef however you requested.

Got mine today. After looking at 'Spring' I was drooling, as my schedule only has only brought me to Chicago (and Alinea) in the Autumn.

Mine came 2 days ago. It is a gorgeous book and I will read it and treasure it, but I assure you that I will never cook anything from it.

It is a spectacular piece of work.

The "Ingredients" section is probably the best two page summary of the past few years of texture modification technique I've read.

I feel much less intimidated by this than a certain other giant black book. And I actually may be able to go to this restaurant one day.

Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• By newchef
      So I've now found myself at the water's edge of Modernist Cuisine.  Specifically, using sodium citrate for emulsifying all kinds of cheeses.  What I'm after is making an emulsified Parmesan sauce as well as another emulsified cheese sauce (most likely using Cheddar or Colby) that I can freeze and use later.  I'm a single guy and am no stranger of tweaking recipes for freezing but I haven't done it for modernist stuff yet.  I'd love to make a big batch of cheese sauce, freeze it into ice cubes for up to 3 months or so, and then take a few cubes out to thaw on a weeknight and toss with pasta, drizzle over veggies, etc.

I looked at the modernist cuisine FAQ and saw this specific post about the cheese sauce that is "probably" freeze-able because it uses something called carageenan.  Has anyone been able to freeze sauce and keep it frozen for, say, a few months?  And not have to use carageenan?

Thanks!
    • By Burmese Days
      Hello everyone,

This is my first post, so please tell me if I've made any mistakes. I'd like to learn the ropes as soon as possible. 

I first learned of this cookbook from The Mala Market, easily the best online source of high-quality Chinese ingredients in the west. In the About Us page, Taylor Holiday (the founder of Mala Market) talks about the cookbooks that inspired her.
      This piqued my interest and sent me down a long rabbit hole. I'm attempting to categorically share everything I've found about this book so far.

Reading it online
      Early in my search, I found an online preview (Adobe Flash required). It shows you the first 29 pages. I've found people reference an online version you can pay for on the Chinese side of the internet. But to my skills, it's been unattainable.

The Title
      Because this book was never sold in the west, the cover, and thus title, were never translated to English. Because of this, when you search for this book, it'll have several different names. These are just some versions I've found online - typos included.
      Sichuan (China) Cuisine in Both Chinese and English Si Chuan(China) Cuisinein (In English & Chinese) China Sichuan Cuisine (in Chinese and English) Chengdu China: Si Chuan Ke Xue Ji Shu Chu Ban She Si Chuan(China) Cuisinein (Chinese and English bilingual) 中国川菜:中英文标准对照版 For the sake of convenience, I'll be referring to the cookbook as Sichuan Cuisine from now on.

Versions
      There are two versions of Sichuan Cuisine. The first came out in 2010 and the second in 2014. In an interview from Flavor & Fortune, a (now defunct) Chinese cooking
      magazine, the author clarifies the differences.
      That is all of the information I could find on the differences. Nothing besides that offhanded remark. The 2014 edition seems to be harder to source and, when available, more expensive.

Author(s)

In the last section, I mentioned an interview with the author. That was somewhat incorrect. There are two authors!
      Lu Yi (卢一) President of Sichuan Tourism College, Vice Chairman of Sichuan Nutrition Society, Chairman of Sichuan Food Fermentation Society, Chairman of Sichuan Leisure Sports Management Society Du Li (杜莉) Master of Arts, Professor of Sichuan Institute of Tourism, Director of Sichuan Cultural Development Research Center, Sichuan Humanities and Social Sciences Key Research Base, Sichuan Provincial Department of Education, and member of the International Food Culture Research Association of the World Chinese Culinary Federation Along with the principal authors, two famous chefs checked the English translations.
      Fuchsia Dunlop - of Land of Plenty fame Professor Shirley Cheng - of Hyde Park New York's Culinary Institute of America Fuchsia Dunlop was actually the first (and to my knowledge, only) Western graduate from the school that produced the book.

Recipes
      Here are screenshots of the table of contents.  It has some recipes I'm a big fan of.

ISBN
      ISBN 10: 7536469640   ISBN 13: 9787536469648 As far as I can tell, the first and second edition have the same ISBN #'s. I'm no librarian, so if anyone knows more about how ISBN #'s relate to re-releases and editions, feel free to chime in.

Publisher
      Sichuan Science and Technology Press 四川科学技术出版社  
      Cover
      Okay... so this book has a lot of covers.
      The common cover A red cover A white cover A white version of the common cover An ornate and shiny cover  There may or may not be a "Box set." At first, I thought this was a difference in book editions, but that doesn't seem to be the case. As far as covers go, I'm at a loss. If anybody has more info, I'm all ears.

Buying the book
      Alright, so I've hunted down many sites that used to sell it and a few who still have it in stock. Most of them are priced exorbitantly.

AbeBooks.com ($160 + $15 shipping) Ebay.com - used ($140 + $4 shipping) PurpleCulture.net ($50 + $22 shipping) Amazon.com ($300 + $5 shipping + $19 tax) A few other sites in Chinese  
      I bought a copy off of PurpleCuture.net on April 14th. When I purchased Sichuan Cuisine, it said there was only one copy left. That seems to be a lie to create false urgency for the buyer. My order never updated past processing, but after emailing them, I was given a tracking code. It has since landed in America and is in customs. I'll try to update this thread when (if) it is delivered.

Closing thoughts
      This book is probably not worth all the effort that I've put into finding it. But what is worth effort, is preserving knowledge. It turns my gut to think that this book will never be accessible to chefs that have a passion for learning real Sichuan food. As we get inundated with awful recipes from Simple and quick blogs, it becomes vital to keep these authentic sources available. As the internet chugs along, more and more recipes like these will be lost. 

You'd expect the internet to keep information alive, but in many ways, it does the opposite. In societies search for quick and easy recipes, a type of evolutionary pressure is forming. It's a pressure that mutates recipes to simpler and simpler versions of themselves. They warp and change under consumer pressure till they're a bastardized copy of the original that anyone can cook in 15 minutes. The worse part is that these new, worse recipes wear the same name as the original recipe. Before long, it becomes harder to find the original recipe than the new one. 

In this sense, the internet hides information. 

• By WackGet
      Recently I picked up a few different types of emulsifiers in bulk powder form when I saw them in passing at a catering wholesaler.

Having never used powdered emulsifiers before in cooking or baking, I figured I'd find pretty comprehensive instructions for their use on the web - but I can't.

I'm not a stranger to food science but nor am I a chemist. I understand that emulsifiers are at least sometimes prepared by pre-mixing them into a (heated?) liquid or fat and then using the resulting solution in the actual recipe, which may explain why a lot of commercial emulsifier mixtures are packages as tubes of gel or paste. I've also checked several industry-level textbooks about emulsifiers and while they are fantastic for in-depth explanations of the chemistry behind each emulsifier, they do not (as you might imagine) provide guidance on how a lowly baker or cook would actually use a powdered form.

So does anyone know how to prepare and use a dry powdered form of any of the following in a real recipe?

Specifically I am most interested in enhancing baked goods and adding stability to sauces, but would also like to know how to use them for other processes such as sausage-making too.
      E471 Mono- and diglycerides of fatty acids E481 Sodium stearoyl lactylate E482 Calcium stearoyl lactylate E472e DATEM (diacetyl tartaric acid ester of mono- and diglycerides)
        Thanks.
    • By mjbarnard
      I cooked two turkey breasts sous vide. This year had access to the Meater+ thermometer probe which I managed to vacuum seal in the bag without difficulty (it is small). Since it works wirelessly I was able to monitor and it records the internal temperatures at the thickest part of the breast.
      I thought the results were interesting. I cooked at 60C for 8 hours. I have always used https://www.chefsteps.com/activities/a-better-way-to-turkey-cook-that-bird-sous-vide-for-the-best-feast-ever which gives long cooking times at lower temperature. I have found that as according to this page https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2014/11/sous-vide-turkey-breast-crispy-skin-recipe-thanksgiving.html that 55C gives turkey which is just a little too pink for most tastes. Over the last few years have increased the temperature up to 59/60 and I find it perfect - very moist and tender, but pale not pink.
      See attached images. I changed my mind a couple of times and started at 58 then 60 then 59 again, so ignore the slight variations. The thing I found interesting was that the thickest part (of a large breast) reached 55C in around 1 hour 40 mins and target of 59 in 2 hours 30 mins. Now I appreciate that sous vide is a combination of temperature and time or duration, but the data make me think that around 4 hours would be sufficient, as per the seriouseats table. I have previously used the chefsteps 55-58 for their much longer advised times, up to 12 hours and the meat is still quite pink at the end, so I dont believe 55 for 12 hours would effectively be the same.
      From now on I will watching the internal temperatures with interest. This has always been the (relative) unkown for sous vide amateurs. 

• By TexasMBA02
      After batting about .500 with my previous approach to macarons, I came across Pierre Herme's base recipe online.  After two flawless batches of macarons, I've been re-energized to continue to work at mastering them.  Specifically, I want to try more of his recipes.  My conundrum is that he has, as far as I can tell, two macaron cookbooks and I don't know which one I should get.  I can't tell if one is just an updated version of the other or a reissue or what the differences really are.  I was hoping somebody had some insight.  I have searched online and haven't seen both books referenced in the same context or contrasted at all.

This one appears to be older.

And this one appears to be the newer of the two.

Any insight would be helpful.

Thanks,