• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

eG Foodblog: Calipoutine - Sparsley Settled Spaces w/ Hungry Faces

I spent most of today making wedding cakes. I made 3 triple batches of white cake. 1 was flavored with lemon peel and that will get a lemon curd filling. The other cake was baked with frozen raspberries inside. It will be filled with whipped cream and raspberry jam. I had pans and parchment paper and bowls and cups and spoons all over the place. I stopped taking pictures early on because there really isnt too much to see until the cakes are assembled. I also did a poached salmon with a sour cream sauce. Are you interested in seeing the menu for each wedding? I might add that it was about 90 degrees in the kitchen. Tomorrow I'm bringing my bathing suit and going to the beach after work.

gallery_31539_1218_589129.jpg

Hobart Mixer w/ butter and sugar

gallery_31539_1218_5448.jpgpans

gallery_31539_1218_506655.jpg

more pans

gallery_31539_1218_372000.jpg

Rose Levy Bernebaums sour cream cake( for a client who was picking up)

gallery_31539_1218_1034553.jpg

salmon

WOW! For some reason I am having a hallucinatory lemon peel smell thing going on. The salmon is really pretty- love the dill and chive blossoms. The frozen berries in the cake sounds interesting. My first thought is that they would weep and mush it up. Look forward to hearing how it went. In an earlier post you were mentioning Long Beach. Our Los Angeles area weather was getting to high 80's today, so my pup is going to benefit and visit the dog beach there this weekend. I had forgotten about it and it is only 15 minutes away. Enjoying everything you post.

Thanks for posting the bacon-cheddar muffin recipe, and I hope you add this to RecipeGullet too.

Am I wrong in thinking that you could produce biscuits from this recipe with only slight modifications? (Omit the sugar, for instance?) I have no muffin pans and bake so rarely I don't think I want to buy some just to make these.

Sandy Smith, Exile on Oxford Circle, Philadelphia

"95% of success in life is showing up." --Woody Allen

My foodblogs: 1 | 2 | 3

Are you interested in seeing the menu for each wedding?

Yes, absolutely!

I am loving every post in your blog and I admire your stamia to keep on blogging with such a hectic week going on.

Are you interested in seeing the menu for each wedding?

Yes, absolutely!

I am loving every post in your blog and I admire your stamia to keep on blogging with such a hectic week going on.

First Wedding

Appetizers

Bacon wrapped water chesnuts

tarragon chicken salad on date nut bread

spanikopita

sausage rolls

cheeseball surprises( or something like that, I can't remember the name)

cherry tomatoes stuffed with crab salad

Main

spring greens with garlic vinegariette

cheddar chive scones

rosemary chicken breasts( grilled) w/ garlic cream sauce

filet of beef

oven roasted potatoes

grilled veg medley

wild thing wedding cake

Second Wedding

Lobster bisque or potato leek soup

cranberry citrus salad

peppered beef tenderloin with mushroom sauce

mediterraean pasta( for the vegetarians)

oven roasted potatoes

veg medley

white cake w/ lemon curd

raspberry cake

Can you guess what this is?

gallery_31539_1218_342050.jpg

We had another busy day today. I don't know what I was thinking when I agreed to blog during this week. I thought it would be easy, but its been hard. I feel like I'm ripping everyone off because I'm barely posting and I often forget to take pics. I did get a few pics today. We had 2 extra people helping so we actually finished at 3:30 today.

gallery_31539_1218_215541.jpg

lobster stock prep

We ordered pizza for lunch today. Can you tell we're foodies? We added some different cheeses ( feta and sharp cheddar) to the pizzas.

gallery_31539_1218_679432.jpg

3 people were wrapping these? I hate doing this little piddly stuff.

gallery_31539_1218_588425.jpg

waterchesnuts

Wow you have been busy! I love the look of that salmon - its like a present ready to be unwrapped. What kind? Fresh poached? I also love the shot of the cake pans by the open window, was the heat coming in or going out? I'm sure you know its tornado season in SW Ontario (my family and I got sunburnt in New Brunswick today but came home to cool fog)

Chicken Kiev! Its so famous and I have never had it, this must be remedied.

And WRT your quiz, I'll guess a shiny bowl of whipped cream. It may be concealing something, if so I'm going with the also very famous baked Alaska.

don't keep us hanging . . .

Peter Gamble aka "Peter the eater"

I just made a cornish game hen with chestnut stuffing. . .

Would you believe a pigeon stuffed with spam? . . .

Would you believe a rat filled with cough drops?

Moe Sizlack

My knee-jerk guess is buttercream.

I love reading your blogs and dining threads!  I'm mostly a lurker but I wanted to tell you that your threads are very enjoyable.

Ding, ding, ding. You win the prize. Thats 16lbs of buttercream!!

My knee-jerk guess is buttercream.

I love reading your blogs and dining threads!  I'm mostly a lurker but I wanted to tell you that your threads are very enjoyable.

Ding, ding, ding. You win the prize. Thats 16lbs of buttercream!!

You know, anything that includes 16 lbs of buttercream can't be ALL bad.....

Marcia.

Don't forget what happened to the man who suddenly got everything he wanted...he lived happily ever after. -- Willy Wonka

eGullet foodblog

Breakfast today:

gallery_25969_665_574689.jpg

Blueberry waffles using the same Malted Waffle Mix. I actually prefer waffles to pancakes when using this mix. I hooked Kerry Beal up with some and she can vouch for how good they really are.

I love how the blueberries get all smooshy in the waffle maker. I had 2 pieces of law salt bacon( Oymel, bought in Canada for 1.99 500grams at No Frills).

Today is going to be brutal. I have to be at work at noon to start setting up the wedding cakes. We have to leave for the wedding site at 4pm. I probably wont be home until 11pm tonight.

I'll be posting pics tomorrow and wrapping this blog up. I really, really look forward to the next blogger.

Edited by CaliPoutine (log)

Wow you have been busy! I love the look of that salmon - its like a present ready to be unwrapped. What kind? Fresh poached? I also love the shot of the cake pans by the open window, was the heat coming in or going out? I'm sure you know its tornado season in SW Ontario (my family and I got sunburnt in New Brunswick today but came home to cool fog)

Chicken Kiev! Its so famous and I have never had it, this must be remedied.

And WRT your quiz, I'll guess a shiny bowl of whipped cream. It may be concealing something, if so I'm going with the also very famous baked Alaska.

don't keep us hanging . . .

The salmon is fresh poached. We were trying to let the heat out of the kitchen. It gets very hot in there. A few months back, I asked my boss if she had a/c in the kitchen and she said " Of course". It has yet to be turned on. I can't imagine it can get much hotter than its been.

Randi, I can imagine you must be exhausted by now! But please don't feel you're letting us down. This is what makes the blogs so wonderful, they're about real life :smile: I'm really enjoying looking in on your week.

And yes, only a couple of more days and someone else will take over.. you can sit back and relax! :smile:

Thanks for posting the bacon-cheddar muffin recipe, and I hope you add this to RecipeGullet too.

Am I wrong in thinking that you could produce biscuits from this recipe with only slight modifications?  (Omit the sugar, for instance?)  I have no muffin pans and bake so rarely I don't think I want to buy some just to make these.

You dont have to buy muffin pans. Just get the reynolds foil muffin liners and use those on a cookie sheet. The foil liners usually dont require a muffin pan.

Breakfast today:

gallery_25969_665_574689.jpg

Blueberry waffles using the same Malted Waffle Mix.  I actually prefer waffles to pancakes when using this mix.  I hooked Kerry Beal up with some and she can vouch for how good they really are.

I love how the blueberries get all smooshy in the waffle maker.  I had 2 pieces of law salt bacon( Oymel, bought in Canada for 1.99 500grams at No Frills). 

Today is going to be brutal.  I have to be at work at noon to start setting up the wedding cakes.  We have to leave for the wedding site at 4pm.  I probably wont be home until 11pm tonight. 

I'll be posting pics tomorrow and wrapping this blog up.  I really, really look forward to the next blogger.

Randi is the bomb. She called up the supplier of the Malted Waffle flour, who turns out to be the next town over from me. She arranged for me to pick up a bag to try. While I was there I managed to talk them into giving me a bag of their waffle cone mix as well. So this morning I've been making a whole bunch of waffle cone cups with my pizzele iron.

The waffle mix makes a lovely malty flavoured waffle, and I find if you put them straight into a low oven after taking them off the waffle iron they remain wonderfully crispy (learned this trick from Cook's Illustrated). I also discovered that the waffle mix is available at Williams Somona in Canada. Randi had told me that WS has it in the US.

Not sure I'll ever make waffles from scratch again, this stuff is fabulous.

Could you talk about that cranberry citrus salad...that sounds good. I am preparing my menu for Father's Day dinner tomorrow and just bought some dried cranberries, but I may alter my original plans for something like that.

Thanks for blogging during a busy week!

Could you talk about that cranberry citrus salad...that sounds good.  I am preparing my menu for Father's Day dinner tomorrow and just bought some dried cranberries, but I may alter my original plans for something like that.

Thanks for blogging during a busy week!

Hi,

I just got home from a long, long day.

The cranberry citrus salad is boston lettuce, radichio and red leaf. Garnished with toasted pecans, supremed oranges and dried cranberries. The dressing is equal parts orange juice and lemon juice, olive oil, dijon mustard, and a dash of honey. Salt and pepper to taste.

Hope this helps.

I'll post pics tomorrow and wrap this baby up!!

Yesterday was busy. The day of an event is always crazy. My boss brought in a husband and wife that used to run another restaurant in Grand Bend. They've both left that restaurant and are working at different jobs. She asked them if they wouldnt mind helping her with these two event. I had the husband working with me, the wife went with my boss to the other event. They did all the grilled veg while I was inside making the scones and setting up the cakes.

gallery_31539_1218_1663.jpg

These are cheeseball surprises. This is a basic dough with flour, sharp cheddar, cayenne, paprika and butter. A stuffed green olive is hidden inside and baked. They went really fast. gallery_31539_1218_473326.jpg

gallery_31539_1218_31883.jpg

cheddar chive scones

gallery_31539_1218_39046.jpg

Finished!!

gallery_31539_1218_952791.jpg

peppers

gallery_31539_1218_682632.jpg

This is the backup cake that no one will see. The wedding cake wasnt enough so I had to make a 9 inch cake for extra servings.

More to come.....

Moving on. We plated 93 salads. The bride wanted a spring mix and as she called it " bathed in a garlic vinaigrette". You're never supposed to bathe a salad in dressing!! Anyway, we also had 3 vegetarians that ordered salmon. Hello, if you eat fish, you're not a vegetarian.

gallery_31539_1218_453521.jpg

salad

gallery_31539_1218_587692.jpg

Oven roasted potato.

gallery_31539_1218_191932.jpg

grilled veg

gallery_31539_1218_384479.jpg

filet and grilled rosemary chicken. The beef was served with a horseradish sauce, the chicken was served witha garlic cream sauce.

The Cake:

I feel I must make a disclaimer before I post this picture. This isnt my "vision" or "design". I don't like the look of this cake at all. My boss designed it and I just impliment it. This cake is called " The Wild Thing". Its a white cake( egg whites only) filled with a very thick custard. Strawberries, raspberries and blueberries are used in between the layers. The top of each layer is dusted with Confectioner's sugar. The table is set up with all the other fruit. Its supposed to look "wild". People rave about it all the time. When we got to the event, we realized all the table fruit hadnt arrived, so I had to do the best I could until the table fruit came. I actually thought it looked better before the table was covered in fruit. When we plate the cake, we serve it with some berries and grapes.

gallery_31539_1218_603998.jpg

gallery_31539_1218_1148657.jpg

Alrighty Folks

This will do it for me. I hope you enjoyed a peek into my very busy week.

If you have any questions, please feel free to ask. I won't be cooking today for business or for pleasure. I'll be laying on the beach and swimming in Lake Huron for most of the day!!

Be sure to check in on the Senior Dining thread every 2 weeks.

Bye for now.

Randi, I sure have enjoyed reading about your hectic week. Your boundless energy has left me gasping for air as I am trying to vision myself doing what you have just accomplished! Thanks for taking the time share.

The cake looks delicious, with all the fruit and custard but the veggies are what really caught my eye. My mouth is watering even though I just finished breakfast.

The Cake:

I feel I must make a disclaimer before I post this picture.  This isnt my "vision" or "design".  I don't like the look of this cake at all.  My boss designed it and I just impliment it.  This cake is called " The Wild Thing".  Its a white cake( egg whites only) filled with a very thick custard.  Strawberries, raspberries and blueberries are used in between the layers. The top of each layer is dusted with Confectioner's sugar.  The table is set up with all the other fruit.  Its supposed to look "wild".  People rave about it all the time.  When we got to the event, we realized all the table fruit hadnt arrived, so I had to do the best I could until the table fruit came.  I actually thought it looked better before the table was covered in fruit.  When we plate the cake, we serve it with some berries and grapes.

gallery_31539_1218_603998.jpg

Randi, thanks so much for sharing a week in your life with us. It has been a wonderful peek, and I admire you for taking on three jobs, and especially since two of them involve good causes.

I have a question about the wedding cake. Having so painstakingly assembled all the layers, what was the process like to clear the table of the fruity and then dis-assemble the layers to cut and plate the cake???

Thanks again! Enjoy the day at Lake Huron. You truly truly deserve it!