• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

eG Foodblog: Calipoutine - Sparsley Settled Spaces w/ Hungry Faces

Wow, I'm glad so many people are reading.

I just got home a little bit ago. Today wasnt too bad. It's next weekend that is going to be crazy.

Here is a pic from last night. I took the boys to the park. Sometimes we stop at DQ for a doggie cone, but I knew I had some ice cream and some cones so I made them each a little one. Notice those cones are from Kroger. They are sugar cones. The cones we get in Ontario that say sugar cones are actually cake cones( according to where I grew up).

I gave them some Breyers strawberry ice cream.

gallery_31539_1218_329667.jpg

Work today:

I worked on 2 cakes. A chocolate cake from an old issue of Chocolatier magazine and a carrot cake( 3 x a recipe). I forgot to take pics of the actual unfrosted cake. Its very good, very moist. Its made with oil and unsweetened chocolate. It has 4 cups of sugar in the cake. My boss uses Baker's unsweetened. I mentioned to her today that I'd love to taste it with a higher quality of chocolate. She said she can't get any other unsweetened except Baker's.

The frosting is butter, cream, sugar, coffee and 1lb of semisweet chocolate. My boss uses Callebaut. You cook the mixture and then whip it in the stand mixer. I made a bigger recipe of cream cheese frosting too. The carrot cake will be frosted tomorrow.

gallery_31539_1218_9517.jpg

gallery_31539_1218_30579.jpg

gallery_31539_1218_204648.jpg

My co-worker Jodi worked on a rib rub. I was surprised when my Boss said she doesnt remove the silverskin. She said she never has. Her rub is from a Williams Sonoma grilling book. It has garlic, thyme, sage, allspice, salt and pepper. Her rub is very different from mine. The one I use is from Cook's Illustrated. Mine has brown sugar, oregano, chili powder, paprika, etc.

gallery_31539_1218_128214.jpg

I usually make the staff lunch. Today was a salad with some deli turkey my boss bought at Costco. We used gruyere cheese as well.

gallery_31539_1218_92904.jpg

Like I said before, today wasnt too bad. I made ahoney- lime vinaigrette for a salad called "40 shades of green"(Fine Cooking). I also prepped romaine for a ceasar salad. I chopped some celery for a potato salad and I ran to the store to pick up ripe avocado's. Oh, I also shucked some corn. After work, I ran to the store again and picked up some stuff I needed for my own catering job on Tuesday and for the Senior meal on Wednesday.

Edited by CaliPoutine (log)

I'm reading, too!

Question, I vaguely recall you were doing weight watchers or at least trying to lose weight (because of diabetes?).  How is that coming along?

I've lost 40lbs. I'm kinda at a standstill. As soon as aquafit starts, I'm sure the loss will pick up again. Thanks for asking.

Home fries from baked potatoes? Do tell me more!

I've usually either parboiled the potatoes, then shredded them, or sliced raw potatoes and onions thinly, then tossed the potatoes into a pan with about a tablespoon of oil.

How do you proceed from the baked potato to home fries? I think I'd like to try this.

Sandy,

I think the way I do it, is pretty much the same way you do. I just cube up the cooked potatoes and saute in some olive oil. This way, I know they're cooked thru and the oil crisps them up nicely.

:biggrin:

I'm reading, too. Basted pork tenderloin and fresh asparagus on the grill: early summer food if there ever was. Yumm.

I'm watching that sour cream cake, too...that reads like something I could take around as a guest gift, or to comfort a sick friend.

:biggrin:

(Edited to correct grammar-in-a-rush.)

Edited by Lady T (log)

Me, I vote for the joyride every time.

-- 2/19/2004

i'd really like to know more about the coconut cake process,outcome and maybe some details!

please carry-on

I read about the cake on Anna's blog( she is an Eg member. She won the Pillsbury Million dollar bake-off a couple years ago. Here is the link.

There is a similar recipe in the Original Cake Mix Doctor Book. The author calls it Grandma's coconut icebox cake. It this version, you make the coconut mixture and the cake on the same day and then you can eat it on day 3, but the author also says it tastes a lot better if you wait 5 days. Tomorrow will be day 3 according to The Cake Mix doctor, but the 4th day according to Anna's version. I'll see how I feel when I get home tomorrow. I have to whip up the cream and frost it before we eat it. Don't worry, I'll take pics.

I find it fascinating how much you still shop for groceries in the States.

You're not the only one!! I get a lot of comments regarding my shopping in the States. I guess old habits die hard. Seriously though, we have a little side hobby/business selling vintage kitchen wares and collectibles and I ship the stuff from MI. Its a lot cheaper and I get a lot more people willing to bid on our stuff because of it. There are a lot of products I like that I can't find here. The big one is King Arthur Flour. I also have a PO Box in MI. I get all my magazine subscriptions sent there. If I order anything from Amazon it goes there as well. So, its not like I just go to MI to go grocery shopping. I also see a Dr. there because the drug I'm on for my diabetes is not avaible in Canada(yet?)

I forgot to mention what my naughty Oliver did. Robin was already up and out at 7am this morning. I left at 8:30. I guess I *forgot* to kick the cabinet door (where we keep our trash) shut.... ( I told you, we need a new kitchen badly). Oliver got into the trash. Yesterday, I threw out a bunch of stuff from the freezer dowstairs. So, he ate an individual portion of a breakfast strata( uncooked) with turkey sausage, bread and egg beaters. His belly looks huge. I think he has a stomach ache.

gallery_31539_1218_44188.jpg

I forgot to mention what my naughty Oliver did.  Robin was already up and out at 7am this morning.  I left at 8:30.  I guess I *forgot* to kick the cabinet door (where we keep our trash) shut.... ( I told you, we need a new kitchen badly).  Oliver got into the trash.  Yesterday, I threw out a bunch of stuff from the freezer dowstairs.  So, he ate an individual portion of a breakfast strata( uncooked) with turkey sausage, bread and egg beaters.  His belly looks huge.  I think he has a stomach ache.

gallery_31539_1218_44188.jpg

Oh Lord. We left the dog at home once while we went to Parent's Night for our kids. She ate the sirloin I planned for dinner for 4. Her belly looked huge too!

Randi,

Thanks for blogging!  I love seeing the PC products in your blog -- finally products I can find in these neck of the woods.

Speaking of PC products, here is one I picked up today.

gallery_25969_665_385810.jpg

I bought this new honey a few weeks ago and I paid full price( 3.99). Today, at No Frills, it was marked down to 2.00. It was advertised in the PC Insiders guide( guide to new products) as being from New Zealand. The bottle says its a product of Australia.

I bought it for the Senior meal on Wednesday. I'll be making honey butter with it. They're getting corn muffins as their " bread". I fully intended on making the corn muffins from scratch, but then I saw the PC organic corn muffin mix so I bought 3 of those. I'll report back.

Randi,

How much unsweetened chocolate do you use?  I get Callebaut in 5 kg blocks with no difficulty.

We actually don't use that much. Maybe 9oz every few weeks. I think this is the only cake we make that uses unsweetened choc.

I'm also reading...well, mostly lurking, as that's all time permits these days...

Re: the asparagus through the grill: when I lose something like that through the grill, I always call it a sacrifice to the grill gods so they will then allow me to cook the rest of my dinner in peace!

Marcia.

Don't forget what happened to the man who suddenly got everything he wanted...he lived happily ever after. -- Willy Wonka

eGullet foodblog

Dinner tonight:

I went uptown to a new place that opened about a month ago. I think I've eaten there 4 or 5 times since. When I like something, I tend to be loyal(Christine can account for that). I have a few places I like in London and when I eat out there, I stick to those.

gallery_31539_1218_985373.jpg

gallery_31539_1218_460429.jpg

When this place first opened, they didnt have any sauces. I decided to buy some tahini and make my own tatziki. I just found out today they now have the latter.

gallery_31539_1218_653471.jpg

This was so huge, I could only eat half. This sandwich was 3.99.

gallery_31539_1218_587461.jpg

We shared some rings too. They were just so so.

I almost want to write a letter to the town paper urging people to try something new. There is a known fact about people in this area regarding food. If they can't pronounce it, they won't eat it. This restaurant also makes Hamburgers and chicken burgers( a fried chicken patty) and nuggets. I hope this place stays open because I like it. When a Mexican family came to town and opened an authenic Mexican restaurant, it didnt last long.

Hi! I'm here too. Just haven't felt very well but I'm reading even if I'm not posting.

I hope your new restaurant holds up. I saw that there is a new Indian restaurant being opened soon in our little town. I hope they make it and if it fails it will be because the local idea of exotica is Chinese and Mexican food.

Your puppies eating ice cream reminds me of the time we ordered three cones at a drive through. The girl behind the window cracked up when she saw that the third cone was for the dog.

We shared some rings too.  They were just so so.

Those onion rings triggered my "salivation reaction". Its funny though because I never ever order them - unlike french fries. And I am a major consumer of onions and all their relatives (shallots, chives, leeks, garlic, scallions, ramps)

So what was wrong with them? What makes a ring?

Peter Gamble aka "Peter the eater"

I just made a cornish game hen with chestnut stuffing. . .

Would you believe a pigeon stuffed with spam? . . .

Would you believe a rat filled with cough drops?

Moe Sizlack

We shared some rings too.  They were just so so.

Those onion rings triggered my "salivation reaction". Its funny though because I never ever order them - unlike french fries. And I am a major consumer of onions and all their relatives (shallots, chives, leeks, garlic, scallions, ramps)

So what was wrong with them? What makes a ring?

I can't really place what was wrong with them. Maybe it was the coating. One of the better rings I've had here, was the Presidents Choice frozen onion rings. I always bake them. I much prefer onion rings to fries. We ordered some fries too and I had a couple before Robin doused them in vinegar.

Here are some rings I had in my first foodblog . I didnt like these AT ALL.

gallery_31539_1218_575673.jpg

When I posted that picture, my friend thought they were donuts!! I think I prefer rings like the ones at Tony Roma's. My parents took us there a lot when we were kids and they always ordered the onion loaf.

About that link to the coconut cake: some strange directions going on there. On Day 2, it says to let the cake sit for 4 days with the filling in it, yet the entire process is only supposed to take 4 days. Also, it specifies round layer cake pans, then says to cut the cake into squares. Wonder what the original says?

(Another lurking reader checks in. I enjoy your Sr. dinner thread.

Ruth Dondanville aka "ruthcooks"

“Are you making a statement, or are you making dinner?” Mario Batali

About that link to the coconut cake:  some strange directions going on there.  On Day 2, it says to let the cake sit for 4 days with the filling in it, yet the entire process is only supposed to take 4 days.  Also, it specifies round layer cake pans, then says to cut the cake into squares.  Wonder what the original says?

(Another lurking reader checks in.  I enjoy your Sr. dinner thread.

Hmmmm, I dont know. I know Anna didnt make her's round. She used a 9 x 13 and said she didnt think that worked well because this cake needs more surface area to absorb the filling. Not sure about how many days it took her. Today would be my 4th day. I might wait another day, depending on how tired I am when I get home tonight.

Now I just looked into the cake mix doctor book and that version frosts the entire cake with the filling. I didnt do that. I'm going to frost the top with whipped cream.

Btw, I cook for the Seniors on Wednesday. I'm making a Paula Dean dessert recipe. Not Yo Mamma's banana pudding. I also bought whipping cream for that instead of coolwhip. I know you're not a fan of coolwhip.

Breakfast today:

I usually make us a bigger breakfast on Sunday's. I have to work at noon today and I probably wont get a chance to eat lunch so this breakfast was perfect. A bit of carbs and some protein. I really love this waffle flour. Its produced in MI and I bought it at Williams-Sonoma. I use a couple of tsps of the blueberry syrup. I had another pancake and I used sugar-free syrup that I mix with a small amount of real maple for flavor. We shared a glass of non-fat milk. The sausages are Johnsonville breakfast sausages(on sale for 2.50CAD). Blueberry pancakes are one of the few ways I can get Robin to eat fruit. She doesnt care for fruit. Can you believe it? I live for Summer produce.

gallery_31539_1218_435369.jpg

gallery_31539_1218_430060.jpg

gallery_31539_1218_504743.jpg

Randi, I've lurked for so long on the blogs and the Dinner thread that now as a brand new member, I am still hesitant to actually take part! That being said, I'm definitely reading and now coming out of lurkdom to let someone know about it!

Thanks for your time during this busy week to indulge all of us in another's kitchen. Or two.

Randi: I'm reading. :smile:

I identify with Oliver's mess. Our dog gets into the garbage whenever he can - with great determination. It's a flip top garbage can, and he's able to knock off whatever heavy jug I set on top to get at the "forbidden flavours". He's got a touchy tummy, so you can imagine the aftermath.

I was looking at the Manuka honey and thought about picking some up - mainly because I liked the sound of the brand. Did you taste it? How does it compare to some of the older established brands like Bee Maid?

I'm reading with great interest in your use of the PC brands. Do you find their quality at par with well-known brands? Is it better quality than their "no name" brand?

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

Randi: I'm reading. :smile:

I identify with Oliver's mess. Our dog gets into the garbage whenever he can - with great determination. It's a flip top garbage can, and he's able to knock off whatever heavy jug I set on top to get at the "forbidden flavours". He's got a touchy tummy, so you can imagine the aftermath.

I was looking at the Manuka honey and thought about picking some up - mainly because I liked the sound of the brand. Did you taste it? How does it compare to some of the older established brands like Bee Maid?

I'm reading with great interest in your use of the PC brands. Do you find their quality at par with well-known brands? Is it better quality than their "no name" brand?

Hi,

I actually have not tasted it yet. I will though tomorrow. I'm making Honey vanilla yogurt for the breakfast I'm catering. I really love the PC brands, I think the quality is a lot better than the No Name brands. We don't eat red meat so when we want a burger, its either veggie or turkey. I like the PC portabello swiss veggie burgers. My spouse also like the PC frozen wings. Some of their cooking sauces are nice too. They had one a few years ago called Tuscan balsamic fig( or something to that effect) that was really good.

That pancake mix--what makes it different? The brand is "Golden Malted", does it have malt powder in it?

About Manuka honey, it's not a brand but a type of honey (manuka is a type of bush or flower or something like that). In Japan, it's very popular right now (it has some kind of health benefits, or so Japanese people say), and also VERY expensive--the size in your picture would be about $15. If I find some when I'm in Canada this summer, I'm getting some! (Is it real manuka honey? Or are they just calling it manuka honey?)

Also, PC isn't equivalent to a no-name brand. It's a house brand, which is different--no name brands use the simplest packaging (usually no more than 2 colours) and are very cheap (in quality and price), but house brands are merely brands developed by the house. At least that's what I learned in home ec. way back in junior high.

Edited by prasantrin (log)

I really love the PC brands, I think the quality is a lot better than the No Name brands.  We don't eat red meat so when we want a burger, its either veggie or turkey.  I like the PC portabello swiss veggie burgers.  My spouse also like the PC frozen wings.    Some of their cooking sauces are nice too.  They had one a few years ago called Tuscan balsamic fig( or something to that effect) that was really good.

Yes the PC stuff is usually very good.

PC or President's Choice is indeed the house brand for Loblaw's Co. Ltd. and they are Canada's largest retailer. They are HQ'd near Toronto in Brampton where I went to high school. This company includes a dozen or so different store names, it's Atlantic Superstore out here. More than just groceries you can get a bank account, a mortgage, a cell phone and gasoline. There used to be PC beer but that may be gone. I hear they are opening a Loblaws "hypermart" in Maple leaf Gardens in Toronto (old ice hockey arena). The Gardens is to Toronto what the Colosseum is to Rome, so we'll see how that goes down.

Having said all that they are expert retailers and I spend hundreds of dollars there every month. The PC brands are generally excellent and better priced than the multinational brands. I tend not to buy the overly processed "entrees in a box" but I can definitely understand why they're so popular. Today I saw PC Wild Mahi Mahi and PC Lahvash.

Peter Gamble aka "Peter the eater"

I just made a cornish game hen with chestnut stuffing. . .

Would you believe a pigeon stuffed with spam? . . .

Would you believe a rat filled with cough drops?

Moe Sizlack