• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

eG Foodblog: Calipoutine - Sparsley Settled Spaces w/ Hungry Faces

I want one of those morning glory muffins, too! But at almost 6 ww points/muffin, they're probably off my eating list for a bit.

How come my muffins never look that good?

And have you posted the recipes for the granola and the bacon cheddar muffins before? They look awesome! I'll have to reread previous pages to check, but if you haven't posted them, please do!

Edited to add:

I found bacon cheese muffins on the southern living site (does the recipe have sugar in it, too?), and I did a search on the granola recipe and guess where google took me? The first site given was your blog! :biggrin:

So now I have the recipes, I just have to do the point thing, and see if I can fit them into my eating plan.

Edited by prasantrin (log)

I want one of those morning glory muffins, too!  But at almost 6 ww points/muffin, they're probably off my eating list for a bit. 

How come my muffins never look that good?

And have you posted the recipes for the granola and the bacon cheddar muffins before?  They look awesome!  I'll have to reread previous pages to check, but if you haven't posted them, please do!

Edited to add:

I found bacon cheese muffins on the southern living site (does the recipe have sugar in it, too?), and I did a search on the granola recipe and guess where google took me?  The first site given was your blog!  :biggrin:

So now I have the recipes, I just have to do the point thing, and see if I can fit them into my eating plan.

Hi,

How did you figure out the points for the Morning Glory Muffins? Did you find the exact recipe?

The bacon cheddar muffins came from a Southern Living cookbook( a compilation). No sugar in the muffins. They do have caraway seeds and green onions, and 3 tbls of melted shortening. I was going to use butter, but for the first time, I thought I better stick to the exact recipe.

So I totally spoke too soon about me getting between 8-9hrs of sleep a night. Yesterday, when I came home from working with Marley, I open the front door and Oliver is slinking is way out of the kitchen. I go in there to investigate and sure enough he has gotten into the trash again. He actually had just started because of course there were a few rib bones on the floor. He hid for a few hours and then came out to see me. Flash forward to last night. I probably got 3 hours of sleep if that. He was up numerous times through the night wanting to go outside. He was eating grass so I knew he had a stomach ache.( and he threw up in our bed so we had to change the sheets at 3am) It was not a good night for my poor baby boy. I was up at 6:30am to make fruit salad and deliver this food.

gallery_31539_1218_269811.jpg

gallery_31539_1218_6735.jpg

gallery_31539_1218_634899.jpg

When I came home a bit ago, I had a Morning Glory muffin. I took a bit before I remembered to take a picture.

I have a dr. appt this afternoon in London. I think I'm going to try to take a short nap. I'm bringing home Vietnamese food for dinner. There is NO way I'm cooking tonight.

Edited by CaliPoutine (log)

I go in there to investigate and sure enough he has gotten into the trash again.  He actually had just started because of course there were a few rib bones on the

Hi Randi,

Thanks for taking us along with you this week.

These child safety latches are inexpensive (a couple of bucks) and easy to install and will keep pooches and small children out of your cabinets! See an example here.

Did you meet with the kitchen designer yet? We have pull-out trash bins now, and we are very happy with them. I don't think a dog could get into them unless he tore down the entire cabinet. Along with the earlier comments regarding countertop choices, I would also recommend granite. It is easy to keep clean. Just make sure that you order the polished, and not honed, finish. From what I understand, the honed finish is porous and susceptible to staining. I would love to hear more about your new kitchen ideas and plans. Are you replacing the appliances, as well?

I go in there to investigate and sure enough he has gotten into the trash again.   He actually had just started because of course there were a few rib bones on the

Hi Randi,

Thanks for taking us along with you this week.

These child safety latches are inexpensive (a couple of bucks) and easy to install and will keep pooches and small children out of your cabinets! See an example here.

Did you meet with the kitchen designer yet? We have pull-out trash bins now, and we are very happy with them. I don't think a dog could get into them unless he tore down the entire cabinet. Along with the earlier comments regarding countertop choices, I would also recommend granite. It is easy to keep clean. Just make sure that you order the polished, and not honed, finish. From what I understand, the honed finish is porous and susceptible to staining. I would love to hear more about your new kitchen ideas and plans. Are you replacing the appliances, as well?

What a great idea. I dont know why I didnt think of that. I think I'm going to pick some up in London.

We met with the designer last week. We're waiting to hear from them when they have the plans finished. We are looking at new appliances. Our fridge is a Sears Kenmore and is only about 3 yrs old. I'd like to replace the fridge so everything matches. We dont have a dishwasher( unless you count Robin) and the stove is an old ancient horrible electric model. I want a gas stove, or maybe convection. I still have to research appliances. We don't even have a range hood now. The kitchen is old and needs a lot of work. I'd take some pics of the current kitchen, but frankly I'm embarrased by how ugly it is.

I'm really enjoying your foodblog! Recently made some bacon/cheddar/scallion muffins myself, but they weren't really all that flavorful - and I used bacon fat as most of the fat in the recipe. Maybe I need to add caraway seeds to mind - how did yours taste?

Eating pizza with a fork and knife is like making love through an interpreter.

How did you figure out the points for the Morning Glory Muffins?  Did you find the exact recipe? 

I looked it up on their website. It was the morning glory muffins that used 100% whole wheat or white whole wheat flour, so I assumed it was the same. Then I punched the ingredients into my recipe database software (which also calculates ww points, zone blocks, etc). I made a whole wheat banana muffin recipe from King Arthur, too, and got even more points per muffin. Muffins are not good ww foods!

The bacon cheddar muffins came from a Southern Living cookbook( a compilation).  No sugar in the muffins.  They do have caraway seeds and green onions, and 3 tbls of melted shortening.  I was going to use butter, but for the first time, I thought I better stick to the exact recipe.

The one I got from the website is the wrong one, then. I love caraway seeds--must be a good recipe! I'm off to search again!

I'm really enjoying your foodblog!  Recently made some bacon/cheddar/scallion muffins myself, but they weren't really all that flavorful - and I used bacon fat as most of the fat in the recipe.  Maybe I need to add caraway seeds to mind - how did yours taste?

I didnt have one, but Robin said they were really good( especially with some butter).

Dinner tonight:

I went to a Vietnamese place in London and picked up this food. I'm sure none of these are "Vietnamese". From the top, Pad Thai, Singapore Noodles, Curry Shrimp w/ Broccoli and Lemongrass chicken. Total came to 34.56(30.00 +4.56 tax.

gallery_25969_665_357472.jpg

I know what Robin is taking for lunch tomorrow :raz:

I'm cooking for the Seniors. Their meal is served at noon. On Sunday, I asked my catering boss if working Thursday, Friday and Saturday is enough time to do what we need to do for the two weddings on Saturday. I suggested I come in on Wednesday afternoon. Why did I open my big mouth? So, tomorrow afternoon I'll be making Lemon curd and multiple batches of custard for the wedding cakes.

Bacon Cheddar Muffins; In my own words of course,

1lb bacon, chopped up and cooked. Reserve 2tbls fat.

1 cup chopped green onion( I used 1 entire bunch)

1 tsp salt

1 tsp pepper

1.5 tsp caraway seeds( optional)

3 cups AP flour

2 tsp baking powder

1 tsp baking soda

1.5 cups milk

2 tbls sugar( I totally forgot this and thus I didnt realize there was sugar in this recipe)

2 eggs

3 tbls dijon mustard( whoops, forgot this too)

3 tbls melted shortening

2 cups shredded sharp( or Old for the Canadians) cheese

Saute onions, salt, pepper and caraway seeds in reserved drippings. Combine flour, powder, soda and sugar. Stir well. Combine eggs, milk, mustard, shortening and green onions. Mix into flour mixture. Add cheese and bacon. Bake in greased muffin tins for 20 min at 375F.

I looked it up on their website. It was the morning glory muffins that used 100% whole wheat or white whole wheat flour, so I assumed it was the same. Then I punched the ingredients into my recipe database software (which also calculates ww points, zone blocks, etc). I made a whole wheat banana muffin recipe from King Arthur, too, and got even more points per muffin. Muffins are not good ww foods!

Yes, that is the right one. 6 points or not, they're worth it. They're very good and not too sweet. Maybe you can try reducing the oil, or subbing some applesauce to reduce the points even further.

Yes, that is the right one.  6 points or not, they're worth it.  They're very good and not too sweet.  Maybe you can try reducing the oil, or subbing some applesauce to reduce the points even further.

No way! No low-fat goods in my house, except 1% milk! I'm thinking of doing half a recipe, then just eating half a muffin each time. I can usually afford a 3-point snack every day, and when I exercise, I can have a little pat of butter, too!

Thanks for the bacon cheddar muffin recipe! The recipe looks just as delicious as the actual muffins did! (There's something about orange cheddar that just screams yumminess to me!)

We are looking at new appliances.  Our fridge is a Sears Kenmore and is only about 3 yrs old. I'd like to replace the fridge so everything matches.  We dont have a dishwasher( unless you count Robin) and the stove is an old ancient horrible electric model.  I want a gas stove, or maybe convection.  I still have to research appliances. 

I don't know if they have such things in your area, but around here they have "scratch and dent" appliance stores. The appliances come with full warranties, but they usually will not have a box. If the paperwork is missing, you can download it from the manufacturer's website.

I have saved a lot of money over the years buying appliances at these places. I found a Kitchenaid "architect series" 30" double convection oven for less than $1000 when the retail at that time was over $3000. It had a dent in the back - which was not visible once it was installed. I have found similar savings on fridges, dishwashers, etc. I've never had a bit of trouble with any of these appliances, but I did make sure that the seller was reputable and that all warranties would be honored.

Last time I was there, they had some beautiful built-in refrigerators that you could pick up for a song . . . and once you put the cabinet panels on them (to match the rest of your kitchen) you would not see any of the dents/scratches!

I hope that you keep us included on your kitchen remodeling . . . it's fun to live vicariously and maybe some of us that have made remodeling mistakes (speaking for myself, here!) can share our experiences and hopefully save you some headaches.

I picked up some more fruit:

gallery_25969_665_691067.jpg

I love seeing those half price stickers! Well done.

Out here on the east coast the grocery store beef is severely underaged when it hits the shelf. So when its reduced for quick sale it actually gets better before it gets worse. I can always find 30% or 50% off lamb too, but not always the cut I want.

The thrill of the purchase is greatly enhanced when there's a deal.

Peter Gamble aka "Peter the eater"

I just made a cornish game hen with chestnut stuffing. . .

Would you believe a pigeon stuffed with spam? . . .

Would you believe a rat filled with cough drops?

Moe Sizlack

Hi all,

So sorry I havent posted until now. I was out of the house this morning at 7:30am and I just got home.

I cooked for the Seniors today. As I said earlier, I was filling in at another program. I normally cook for 50ppl , today was just 25. I think I'm getting used to cooking for 50 now as I made way too much salad. So, onto the menu.....

Chicken, mushroom, onion pie

mixed green salad

corn muffins

fresh asparagus( roasted)

Not Yo Mama's Banana Pudding for dessert.

The pie is made by cooking onions, green peppers and ground chicken( or ground beef). The adding paprika,2 tbls of flour, salt and pepper. This is mixed with sourcream and eggs and fresh parsely. The mixture is placed into an unbaked pastry shell and baked. Omg, they loved it!! I made 6 pies and cut them into 6 pieces. I sold all the extra pie as take-out dinners. The salad has romaine, radicchio, red leaf, iceberg, shredded carrots, green pepper, radish and grape tomatoes. I forgot the cucumbers at home. I served a bottled dressing( french) because I just had too much to do. I normally make homeade dressing.

The corn muffins are just a PC organic mix. I was surprised at how good they were. They didnt taste like a mix at all. I roasted the asparagus with Evoo, salt and pepper. They never get fresh veg so they were very excited. The dessert was a Paula Deen recipe. Instant vanilla pudding is mixed with Milk. 1 bar of cream cheese is whipped with a can of sweetened condensed milk. Combine this with the pudding mixture and then add 2 cups of whipped cream or coolwhip( I used whipped cream). On the bottom of a pan place Peppridge Farm Cheesman cookies( not availble in Canada, I used a PC all Butter shortbread cookie) lthen a layer of sliced bananas, Then more crumbled cookies. Chill for a few hours.

Oh, I had 3 " helpers" today. Not having kids myself, my patience was a wee bit tried today. Three 12yr old boys came over from the public school to help cook and serve. Then they eat with the Seniors and help clean up. I was trying to supervise all three of them at the same time. They all wanted to cook. I had one of them helping with the banana pudding, one of them using the salad spinner and one of them dishing out the honey butter. I had left a toothpick( for testing the corn muffins) on the counter. Guess where it ended up? In someone's banana pudding. I think it might have stuck to the bottom of the bowl with the whipped cream or cream cheese mixture and when the boys dumped it into the larger mixing bowl it fell in. I also found bits of lettuce in the pudding too. Thankfully, the lady didnt swallow it. Oy Vey!!

Ok, on to the pictures. Any questions, please ask. I'm rushing thru writing this as I have to be at the caterer for 4pm so I can make multiple batches of lemon curd and custards for the wedding cakes.

gallery_31539_1218_528066.jpg

kitchen

gallery_31539_1218_944254.jpg

salad

gallery_31539_1218_900037.jpg

filling

gallery_31539_1218_38127.jpg

baked pie

gallery_31539_1218_645461.jpg

dessert

gallery_31539_1218_189022.jpg

muffins

gallery_31539_1218_557595.jpg

asparagus

gallery_31539_1218_867037.jpg

cut up pie

So, Randi, what sort of feedback do you get from the seniors? What about today's meal did they appear to like/dislike? And, how much do they tell you about how do they like the meal, and how much do you ascertain from the looks on their faces and how clean (or not) their plates are?

Susan Fahning aka "snowangel"

So, Randi, what sort of feedback do you get from the seniors?  What about today's meal did they appear to like/dislike?  And, how much do they tell you about how do they like the meal, and how much do you ascertain from the looks on their faces and how clean (or not) their plates are?

Because it was a smaller group, I walked around the tables while they were eating and I could tell they liked it. There was very little food that came back into the kitchen( we use the leftover food to package up as takeouts). They were very excited about the asparagus. I heard a few people comment on that. All the volunteers ate as well and wanted to take home leftovers. The food I cook is very different from the other cook. Even the pre-teen boys said " We've never had food like this before"

I worked for the caterer from 4pm-8pm. I thought I was only going to work 2 hrs. Robin made me dinner :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin: . Her version of chicken Kiev. She could have made me toast and I would have been happy. We had some leftover salad( from this afternoon).

gallery_25969_665_273938.jpg

We're prepping for 2 big weddings this weekend and my boss told me today that 6 people she expected to work with her at one of the weddings are not working. This means my boss is very stressed out. This also means that work won't be fun for the next few days. I hope I survive.

I'm heading to bed.

Looks like a great menu...how about posting that chicken pie on RecipeGullet?

Oh yesssssssssssssss !!! DITTO what she said ^^^. I was thinking that same thing myself when I read this thread at work, but couldn't post it. Please, please pretty please? It really does sound yummy.

--Roberta--

"Let's slip out of these wet clothes, and into a dry Martini" - Robert Benchley

Pierogi's eG Foodblog

My *outside* blog, "A Pound Of Yeast"

Looks like a great menu...how about posting that chicken pie on RecipeGullet?

Oh yesssssssssssssss !!! DITTO what she said ^^^. I was thinking that same thing myself when I read this thread at work, but couldn't post it. Please, please pretty please? It really does sound yummy.

I will, I promise, but not until Monday. Things are going to be crazy for the next few days.

I will, I promise, but not until Monday.  Things are going to be crazy for the next few days.

Completely reasonable, given the horrific schedule you're keeping whilst blogging !!

BTW, my dear departed PoodleDiva Ella was an inveterate trash scrounger. I couldn't keep anything in the kitchen garbage can unless I was there to stand guard. If it was in the kitchen trash, it was Ella's. I had cleaned out the fridge one day, and thrown away about 1/2 of a very garlicky meatloaf, then had a senior moment and forgot to take the trash out before I went out for the evening. Needless to say, Ella had found the meatloaf, and the house reeked of garlic. But SHE was smart enough not to eat the whole thing. Instead, she took the bulk of it and stashed it in the couch in the den (under throw pillows, no less) for future munching ! She was most perturbed when she came trucking down the hall for a little nosh a couple of hours after I got home, and found that the purloined, carefully stashed meatloaf was not quite where she left it. LOL, poor baby looked for that thing for about a week........

--Roberta--

"Let's slip out of these wet clothes, and into a dry Martini" - Robert Benchley

Pierogi's eG Foodblog

My *outside* blog, "A Pound Of Yeast"

I will, I promise, but not until Monday.  Things are going to be crazy for the next few days.

Completely reasonable, given the horrific schedule you're keeping whilst blogging !!

BTW, my dear departed PoodleDiva Ella was an inveterate trash scrounger. I couldn't keep anything in the kitchen garbage can unless I was there to stand guard. If it was in the kitchen trash, it was Ella's. I had cleaned out the fridge one day, and thrown away about 1/2 of a very garlicky meatloaf, then had a senior moment and forgot to take the trash out before I went out for the evening. Needless to say, Ella had found the meatloaf, and the house reeked of garlic. But SHE was smart enough not to eat the whole thing. Instead, she took the bulk of it and stashed it in the couch in the den (under throw pillows, no less) for future munching ! She was most perturbed when she came trucking down the hall for a little nosh a couple of hours after I got home, and found that the purloined, carefully stashed meatloaf was not quite where she left it. LOL, poor baby looked for that thing for about a week........

That is a funny story. Poor Ella. I hope she didnt get sick like Oliver.

Btw, I just notice you live in Long Beach. Thats where I lived before I moved to Canada. I'm so jealous!!