• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

eG Foodblog: Calipoutine - Sparsley Settled Spaces w/ Hungry Faces

I'm home!! I worked 6 hours today and it wasnt too bad. I have lots of pictures. We grilled off all the chicken, salmon and ribs in Grand Bend. We put them in chafers and thermal vats and drove to London( actually Arva). I dressed the salad on site as well.

My boss had this giant bbq made and it was so freaking hot. I wasnt doing too much grilling, but a co-worker ended up with a burn on her arm. My boss ended up with giant red marks on her stomach.

gallery_31539_1218_34548.jpg

The carrot cake I made yesterday.

gallery_31539_1218_398206.jpg

salad prep

gallery_31539_1218_428592.jpg

gallery_31539_1218_66358.jpg

My boss Barb.

gallery_31539_1218_525753.jpg

38 portions of salmon

gallery_31539_1218_858534.jpg

finished ribs

more to come.....

gallery_31539_1218_127711.jpg

salmon( this went like wildfire). Simply seasoned with lime juice, salt and pepper.

gallery_31539_1218_797388.jpg

chicken, boneless skin on thighs and breasts( both cut it half).

gallery_31539_1218_327782.jpg

salads.( Ceasar, 40 shades of green, and a pasta salad the client provided. My boss doesnt like it when the client provides food because then the guests think it came from the caterer.

gallery_31539_1218_520431.jpg

corn on the cob. Melted butter to the left.

About Manuka honey, it's not a brand but a type of honey (manuka is a type of bush or flower or something like that).  In Japan, it's very popular right now (it has some kind of health benefits, or so Japanese people say), and also VERY expensive--the size in your picture would be about $15.  If I find some when I'm in Canada this summer, I'm getting some!  (Is it real manuka honey?  Or are they just calling it manuka honey?)

The package says its from the Manuka bush. Product of Australia.

Here is a link to the pancake flour.

Edited by CaliPoutine (log)

Randi~

Can you explain the "40 shades of green" salad?

Thanks,

Kathy

Sure. I think its named after a song by Johnny Cash. Per 4 servings: Its (1 large, or 1 1/2 small)belgium endive,(1 head) butter(bib) lettuce, 3/4 cup flat leaf parsely, 2-3 green onions and 1 avocado. The dressing is 1Tbls lime juice, 3 tbls evoo, 1tsp honey and salt and pepper.

Blueberry pancakes are one of the few ways I can get Robin to eat fruit.  She doesnt care for fruit.  Can you believe it?  I live for Summer produce.

Yes, I can believe it. Apparently most people taste fruit as being sweet....I taste it as being sour. Other than strawberries, it's just not my favorite, although I do enjoy it, but not like others seem to.

Summer produce like herbs and tomatoes and cucumbers and lettuce, though - bring it on!

Marcia.

Don't forget what happened to the man who suddenly got everything he wanted...he lived happily ever after. -- Willy Wonka

eGullet foodblog

Dinner tonight:

My boss sent me home with tons of leftovers.  I had a few ribs, half a piece of chicken and a piece of corn. 

I'm off to bed.  Long day tomorrow.

Have a good day tomorrow!

How were the leftovers?

Michael aka "Pan"

Dinner tonight:

My boss sent me home with tons of leftovers.  I had a few ribs, half a piece of chicken and a piece of corn.  

Randi, I enjoyed seeing the fabulous spread of food. My mouth started drooling when I got to the corn (I'm a corn fanatic).

Oops... my bad. :blush:

Edited by Domestic Goddess (log)

Doddie aka Domestic Goddess

"Nobody loves pork more than a Filipino"

eGFoodblog: Adobo and Fried Chicken in Korea

The dark side... my own blog: A Box of Jalapenos

Dinner tonight:

Have a good day tomorrow!

How were the leftovers?

Good. I was starving as I skipped lunch. My boss's ribs are very different than mine. She doesnt remove the silverskin, her rub is very different and while they are grilling she bastes them with cider vinegar. I usually bake mine for a few hours at a low temp, then finish them on the grill. I most frequently use a mustard based BBQ sauce as well. (ps: I like mine better)

Good Morning:

I have a busy day today. I'm catering a breakfast meeting tomorrow morning at 8am. My menu is:

Coffee and OJ

Morning Glory Muffins( King Arthur Whole Grain baking book)

Bacon and cheddar muffins( Southern Living)

Choc. Choc. Chip muffins( Baking from My home to yours)

Fresh fruit

Honey Vanilla yogurt(Astro Balkan Style yogurt with manuka honey and a scraped vanilla bean)

Andy's Fairfield Granola( Nigella's Feast)

I also have to make a run to the grocery store and drop all the food off at the arena where I'm cooking the Senior meal on Wednesday. I normally cook on Thursday at a church kitchen in Grand Bend. However, I switched with another cook so I'm taking her program which is in Zurich, ON and she's taking mine on Thursday. I'm working for Barb( caterer) on Thurs, Friday and Saturday.

( I can't wait until this week is over)........

I better get started.

I'm thoroughly enjoying your blogging, Randi--I especially like the real-life feeling--it's just like looking in someone's window to peek at their life.

You're giving us a glimpse of your life--and as you are living it, not a staged, three perfect meals a day glimpse--including the ripped up dog trash is especially good!

My boss doesnt like it when the client provides food because then the guests think it came from the caterer

I can see where this could be a problem.

Perhaps she can make up a lovely card that says:

A special treat, hand made with love by _Name-of-Client/host___

And stick that card into the serving bowl on one of those plastic stakes florists use to hold the gift card?

Then she compliments the client nicely, while covering her own hindend.

We had blueberry pancakes yesterday too. I eat mine with sliced bananas and powdered sugar. The spouse uses maple syrup. My friend works for the company that created Byetta. It will be nice to tell her how much you like it.

"You dont know everything in the world! You just know how to read!" -an ah-hah! moment for 6-yr old Miss O.

Blueberry pancakes are one of the few ways I can get Robin to eat fruit.  She doesnt care for fruit.  Can you believe it?  I live for Summer produce.

Yes, I can believe it. Apparently most people taste fruit as being sweet....I taste it as being sour. Other than strawberries, it's just not my favorite, although I do enjoy it, but not like others seem to.

Summer produce like herbs and tomatoes and cucumbers and lettuce, though - bring it on!

Marcia.

My husband doesn't like fruit either, but I don't think it's because he finds it sour rather than sweet. I've been trying to figure it out, and I think it's because he doesn't really like raw produce, and fruits are usually eaten raw. His dislike includes avocado, (raw) tomatoes, cucumbers, as well as anything conventionally considered a fruit. The only exceptions are grilled fresh figs (not raw) and oranges if I peel and de-pith them for him (yes, he is a bit of a baby). Perhaps I should try sneaking some blueberries into his pancakes and telling him they're chocolate chips.

Home fries from baked potatoes? Do tell me more!

I've usually either parboiled the potatoes, then shredded them, or sliced raw potatoes and onions thinly, then tossed the potatoes into a pan with about a tablespoon of oil.

How do you proceed from the baked potato to home fries? I think I'd like to try this.

Sandy,

I think the way I do it, is pretty much the same way you do. I just cube up the cooked potatoes and saute in some olive oil. This way, I know they're cooked thru and the oil crisps them up nicely.

If I can just add a point for clarification...the baked potato has to be refrigerated, usually overnight, before the home fries are made. It's the refrigeration that turns the baked potato firm and almost waxy. It makes it quite easy to cube the potato the next morning. I've also seen other cooks shred these refrigerated baked potatoes into "home-style" hash browns though they're not my cup of tea, to mix metaphors.

Calipoutine, I am exhausted just reading your blog! Your energy seems boundless. I look forward to reading more.

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

The morning glory muffins are finished.

gallery_25969_665_505740.jpg

The choc. choc. chip muffins are in the oven. They smell fabulous.

Lunch today:

Healthy choice turkey, aged provolone, honey mustard, dab of light mayo on half a whole wheat pita. A few lays sour cream and onion chips. I like to eat a few chips when I have a sandwich. Diet coke to drink.

gallery_25969_665_539366.jpg

Home fries from baked potatoes? Do tell me more!

I've usually either parboiled the potatoes, then shredded them, or sliced raw potatoes and onions thinly, then tossed the potatoes into a pan with about a tablespoon of oil.

How do you proceed from the baked potato to home fries? I think I'd like to try this.

Sandy,

I think the way I do it, is pretty much the same way you do. I just cube up the cooked potatoes and saute in some olive oil. This way, I know they're cooked thru and the oil crisps them up nicely.

If I can just add a point for clarification...the baked potato has to be refrigerated, usually overnight, before the home fries are made. It's the refrigeration that turns the baked potato firm and almost waxy. It makes it quite easy to cube the potato the next morning. I've also seen other cooks shred these refrigerated baked potatoes into "home-style" hash browns though they're not my cup of tea, to mix metaphors.

Calipoutine, I am exhausted just reading your blog! Your energy seems boundless. I look forward to reading more.

Yes, yes, of course it needs to be refridgerated. I should have mentioned that.

I wish I had as much energy as you all think I have. I'm so exhausted lately that I've been going to sleep as early as 9:30. I'm normally a night owl. I try to get 8-9 hours of sleep a night. Any less and I can't function.

My spouse Robin does a tremendous amount for me. She does ALL the dishes, the only thing I really have to do is cook and grocery shop.( I do other stuff too, but she does way more)

Here are the choc. choc chip muffins. From Dorie Greenspan's Baking From My Home to Yours.

gallery_25969_665_857352.jpg

I couldnt resist trying one. They were very good, not to sweet and a nice hit of chocolate. I used 2 oz of Perugina and 4oz of Trader Joe's pound plus belgium chocolate( i chopped up a bit more than was called for)

I went to the grocery store and bought the rest of the items I need for Wednesday's Senior Meal. I dropped them off at the Arena. I've never cooked there before so I might have to bring a lot of my own equipment. I dont think they have a hand mixer of muffin tins. I'll probably bring my own Salad spinner too. One of the ladies who will be helping me was there. She asked me what we were having and I said " Chicken, onion, mushroom pie". She said " That's different". LOL. I've heard this crowd is very picky.

Here are the choc. choc chip muffins.  From Dorie Greenspan's Baking From My Home to Yours.

gallery_25969_665_857352.jpg

I couldnt resist trying one.  They were very good, not to sweet and a nice hit of chocolate.  I used 2 oz of Perugina and 4oz of Trader Joe's pound plus belgium chocolate( i chopped up a bit more than was called for)

I went to the grocery store and bought the rest of the items I need for Wednesday's Senior Meal.  I dropped them off at the Arena.  I've never cooked there before so I might have to bring a lot of my own equipment.  I dont think they have a hand mixer of muffin tins.  I'll probably bring my own Salad spinner too.  One of the ladies who will be helping me was there.  She asked me what we were having and I said " Chicken, onion, mushroom pie".  She said " That's different".  LOL.  I've heard this crowd is very picky.

MMMM -YUM!

Loving following your blog. I haven't said anything yet (until now, that is) but I am checking in daily - reading each and every post and all of the replies/comments too :) I am learning a lot from you - and I love this glimpse into your world.

I used to volunteer at multiple retirement homes, in the Chicago suburbs (St. Charles) while I was in highschool (which was about 10 years ago...wow) and during college at the University of Iowa. I loved it. They loved me too and made me feel so good - which I was also making them feel. Reciprocal....we were 'helping eachother'....in a sense. And I learned so much about them, life in general and myself while doing so....I really need to get back involved in that....my time now is filled with volunteer work at elementary schools (currently pursuing my masters in education, almost done! YAY!)

Wow - sorry for all that blabbing.

Basically - awesome blog - thanks a billion :)

Linz

"One Hundred Years From Now It Will Not Matter What My Bank Account Was, What Kind of House I lived in, or What Kind of Car I Drove, But the World May Be A Better Place Because I Was Important in the Life of A Child."

LIFES PHILOSOPHY: Love, Live, Laugh

hmmm - as it appears if you are eating good food with the ones you love you will be living life to its fullest, surely laughing and smiling throughout!!!

I worked with Marley today. Her parents are very plain eaters. They don't like anything ethnic or "different". I've tried to give them some new things to try, but I end up using mostlyrecipes from Everday Food or Cooking Light. This recipe came from Southern Living. You make a base with ground beef that you then use for 3 different meals. Sloppy Joes, Meatsauce and a beef noodle thing. Marley's mom was going to freeze the extra 2/3 of the base. We also made Ina Garten's BBQ Sauce. Marley is going to package it up and give it to her friends where they keep their boat.

Marley loves cooking. She gets almost giddy when she stirs something.

gallery_31539_1218_342214.jpg

gallery_31539_1218_211341.jpg

bbq sauce

gallery_31539_1218_603430.jpg

gallery_31539_1218_738230.jpg

meat sauce. The base mixed with 1 can of tomato sauce,1 can of chopped tomatoes and some herbs.

I think I've done too much today. :rolleyes: I have a splitting headache. I still need to make 1 more batch of muffins, a batch of granola, cut up fruit, load my car for tomorrow, make dinner( just leftovers), frost that coconut cake and list some stuff on ebay......

Thanks for bringing Marley into your blog! She looks like she's having a blast in the kitchen! How long do you think it will be before she can work in a commercial kitchen? Or might she do better as a private cook/chef, given her needs for time and space?

Those muffins look fantastic!

I will refrain from my usual comments about grilling vs. barbecue, because when you're cooking in those quantities, the time involved in getting everything set up properly, then tending to the meat, would be prohibitive. At least you cook the ribs properly, even if it's in an oven, in advance.

And thanks, Toliver, for the important note on transforming the baked potatoes into home fries. I might even try the hash brown trick.

Sandy Smith, Exile on Oxford Circle, Philadelphia

"95% of success in life is showing up." --Woody Allen

My foodblogs: 1 | 2 | 3

Dinner Tonight:

We had leftovers and I made a salad. This is my take on the Mexican Ceasar salad from El Torito's( a chain in Cali). The dressing is one of those copycat recipes, Cilantro-Pepita. I buy Anaheim chili's in MI, I roast them, skin them and freeze them. This way I have them when I need them.

gallery_25969_665_268146.jpg

I went up to the store. At 7pm, our grocery store marks down their cut fruit and salads. I bought this fruit to use in the fruit salad I'm making for tomorrow. I have a whole pineapple, grapes, and some berries to add tomorrow morning.

gallery_25969_665_134767.jpg

I made the granola earlier. I love it because it only used 2tbls of oil. I used a hazelnut oil I had. I added cherry flavored dried cranberries instead of the raisins.

gallery_25969_665_171706.jpg

gallery_25969_665_105605.jpg

We had the cake tonight. It was way, way too sweet. I litterally had 2 bites, anymore and I'd be in a diabetic coma. If I ever made it again, I'd drastically reduce the sugar. The cake was ok, nothing to rave about. I topped it with reddi-whip( I was too tired to whip up cream).

gallery_25969_665_225680.jpg