• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

I'll Name the Food, You Name the Movie

Pontormo

Another movie: A lobster eaten shell and all.

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

Another movie:

"...Have some fried rice, Mr. Soy Sauce.

Have a cookie, have a few!

What's the matter, Mr. G?

Have another pot of tea..."

someone's got to be singing that :raz:

Mama Rose (aka Rosalind Russell) is singing that. (Well, actually, she didn't sing it, or all of it. Lisa Kirk dubbed much of it I think.)

Gypsy.

A recap for the afternoon:

CONGRATULATIONS TO:

-Simon_S for solving #68 (Tab and Pepsi Free) as the film "Back to the Future" and for solving "A sushi platter and a Pixie Stix & Captain Crunch sandwich" as the film "The Breakfast Club".

-insomniac for solving #67 ("...Hot sausage and mustard! While we're in the mood -- Cold jelly and custard! Pease pudding and saveloys!...") as the film "Oliver!", for solving "A bottle of Vichy water" as the film "Casablanca" and for figuring out that "How's the fricasse?" "Pretty darn good, ya want some?" was from the film "Fargo".

-racheld for solving "A lobster eaten shell and all" as the film "Splash".

-plattetude correctly guessed that "...Have some fried rice, Mr. Soy Sauce. Have a cookie, have a few! What's the matter, Mr. G? Have another pot of tea..." was from the film "Gypsy".

WAITING FOR CONFIRMATION:

-Simon_S has guessed that #65 is "Return of the Jedi".

-johnnyd has guessed that #42 is "How To Steal a Million".

We also know:

#42 is not "Six Degrees of Separation"

#49 is not "Lilies of the Field"

#67 is not "Memoirs of a Geisha"

AS YET UNSOLVED AND STILL IN PLAY:

42. A liquor bottle replaces Venus.

NEW CLUE: One of the stars is nominated for the Best Actor Oscar this year. (But for a different movie.)

49. How about "A solitary fried egg, soup with a ham hock"

53. "Turn me over I am done on this side."

55. How current are you in your movies? Movie food = individual chocolate soufflés

61. The following items are on the menu in this movie:

melon with port, herring, snails ala mode Chablis, hare pate, grilled sardines, filet of sole, fried whiting, skate in brown butter, quenelles of pike, truit au bleu, vol au vent, three cups of tea, two with lemon, one with milk, three coffees, one with cognac, a glass of poisoned milk, three glasses of water, champagne, bread, lettuce, whiskey and soda, foie gras, ham, dry martinis, eggs, cheese, roast chicken, port ,omelet with truffles, guinea hen, soup, leg of lamb with beans, American canned beans, and in conclusion, leftover roast meat and a baguette for a late night snack.

65. Live, wriggling reptilian alien looking frogs swallowed whole.

CLUE: the live reptilian alien frogs were served from a glass bowl while a blue dancer danced

66. Pizza with "stinky junk, bits of sweaty sausage, a little tomato, nice, fresh spaghetti, an old cheese rind, lettuce that's good and rotten, one olive..."

67. A cherry snow cone

68. "Who is it?"

"Mr. Pizza."

"Again?"

"Mr. Pizza, sir!...Okay, who had the double cheese sausage and bologna?"

69. Spaghetti carbonara, served in big bowls in bed

70. "A little sprinkle of tapioca in the cherry pie, just like Mama did," just before the cook is coaxed down onto the floor with her husband, with her "Apron up around her ears."

(bonus clue: same movie features a roast chicken dinner used to decorate the dining room walls)

71. Saffodd and Keck

72. A decapitated chopped-liver chicken

73. "Can someone hand me my Evian"

NOTE: If you post a movie, please check back to see if the guesses on your movie are correct or not so we can keep the "Still in Play" list accurate.

Also, consider posting more clues if your movie remains unsolved.

Tim Oliver

a good hamburger with lots of onions, was it in S. Eureka or N. Eureka?

from same movie:

"Here's to Boompah"

and finally same movie

"gum drops, shortcake, sweet stuff jelly roll"

o.k. one more, same movie "Hip! hip!"

I don't know what # this would be but I think it got lost in the mix. I know it was

guessed to be "Caddyshack" but that is not correct. These things are all

from the same movie with a classic star in the lead.

"You can't miss with a ham 'n' egger......"

Ervin D. Williams 9/1/1921 - 6/8/2004

Hey I think I've got the elusive #42:

How To Steal a Million

Good for you, johnnyd! Yes, "42. A liquor bottle replaces Venus. NEW CLUE: One of the stars is nominated for the Best Actor Oscar this year. (But for a different movie.)" --from How To Steal a Million, starring Audrey Hepburn and Peter O'Toole, directed by William Wyler. For some reason, this movie seems to slip thru the cracks when people think of these stars or even this famous director. It's a hilarious film, a classic romantic screwball comedy, and one of my favs. I'm not going to explain the clue. If you see the movie, it's obvious.

Congrats, johnnyd! :smile:

CLUE: the live reptilian alien frogs were served from a glass bowl while a blue dancer danced

This is a very tentative guess, and it probably isn't right, but I clearly remember a blue dancer on an episode of the original Star Trek. Her name was something like "Veena," IIRC. I can't quite remember the frogs, though. (It's clear what my adolescent priorities were -- I can remember the exotic dancer but not the food. :wink: )

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer

a good hamburger with lots of onions, was it in S. Eureka or N. Eureka?

from same movie:

"Here's to Boompah"

and finally same movie

o.k. one more, same movie "Hip! hip!"

I don't know what # this would be but I think it got lost in the mix. I know it was

guessed to be "Caddyshack" but that is not correct. These things are all

from the same movie with a classic star in the lead.

Thank you for clearing this up. I will add it back into the evening recap. My apologies!

Tim Oliver

Another movie with a grim clue: A towel full of oranges

Tim Oliver

I'm thinking Full Metal Jacket...?

Nope, try again.

Tim Oliver

I don't think this movie has been mentioned before...it should be an easy one: Cans of orange soda with the brand name "Jump"

edited to clarify

Edited by Toliver (log)

Tim Oliver

I'm thinking Full Metal Jacket...?

Rounders

Not the movie I am thinking of...

Tim Oliver

Another movie...could be easy for some:

Butter being churned

"...some ole meat pies and apple jelly..."

"...cold duck with stuffin'and that lemon meringue pie."

Tim Oliver

It's the end of the week, so here's an evening recap to go with your "welcome to the weekend" dinner.

Some new clues have been added and oneidaone's hamburger movie clue (#74) has been re-added to the mix since it was overlooked and not solved:

CONGRATULATIONS TO:

-johnnyd for finally solving #42 (A liquor bottle replaces Venus. NEW CLUE: One of the stars is nominated for the Best Actor Oscar this year. [but for a different movie]) as the film "How to Steal a Million".

-chufi has solved #69 (Spaghetti carbonara, served in big bowls in bed) as the Meryl Streep/Jack Nicholson film "Heartburn".

WAITING FOR CONFIRMATION:

-Simon_S has guessed that #65 is "Return of the Jedi".

-racheld has guessed that #53 may be "Under the Tuscan Sun".

We also know:

#49 is not "Lilies of the Field"

#67 is not "Memoirs of a Geisha"

#74 is not "Caddyshack"

#75 is not "Full Metal Jacket" or "Rounders"

AS YET UNSOLVED AND STILL IN PLAY:

49. How about "A solitary fried egg, soup with a ham hock"

53. "Turn me over I am done on this side."

CLUE: blonde woman eating an ice cream cone in town square

and

she finally has someone to cook for

55. How current are you in your movies? Movie food = individual chocolate soufflés

61. The following items are on the menu in this movie:

melon with port, herring, snails ala mode Chablis, hare pate, grilled sardines, filet of sole, fried whiting, skate in brown butter, quenelles of pike, truit au bleu, vol au vent, three cups of tea, two with lemon, one with milk, three coffees, one with cognac, a glass of poisoned milk, three glasses of water, champagne, bread, lettuce, whiskey and soda, foie gras, ham, dry martinis, eggs, cheese, roast chicken, port ,omelet with truffles, guinea hen, soup, leg of lamb with beans, American canned beans, and in conclusion, leftover roast meat and a baguette for a late night snack.

66. Pizza with "stinky junk, bits of sweaty sausage, a little tomato, nice, fresh spaghetti, an old cheese rind, lettuce that's good and rotten, one olive..."

67. A cherry snow cone

68. "Who is it?"

"Mr. Pizza."

"Again?"

"Mr. Pizza, sir!...Okay, who had the double cheese sausage and bologna?"

70. "A little sprinkle of tapioca in the cherry pie, just like Mama did," just before the cook is coaxed down onto the floor with her husband, with her "Apron up around her ears."

(bonus clue: same movie features a roast chicken dinner used to decorate the dining room walls)

71. Saffodd and Keck

72. A decapitated chopped-liver chicken

73. "Can someone hand me my Evian"

74. a good hamburger with lots of onions, was it in S. Eureka or N. Eureka?

from same movie: "Here's to Boompah"

and finally same movie:

o.k. one more, same movie:

"Hip! hip!"

75. a grim clue: A towel full of oranges

76. Cans of orange soda with the brand name "Jump"

77. Butter being churned

MODIFIED CLUE: picnic hampers containing-

"...some ole meat pies and apple jelly..."

"...cold duck with stuffin'and that lemon meringue pie."

NOTE: If you post a movie, please check back to see if the guesses on your movie are correct or not so we can keep the "Still in Play" list accurate.

Also, consider posting more clues if your movie remains unsolved.

Tim Oliver

#71 Saffod and Keck..................

We'll have the chipper chicken

Father of the Bride......... remake with Steve Martin and Diane Keaton

And this old porch is like a steaming greasy plate of enchiladas,With lots of cheese and onions and a guacamole salad ...This Old Porch...Lyle Lovett

More games:

78. From an old movie: eyebowl soup served in a metal bowl

79. Fresh bits of brain, sautéd in butter and herbs

79. Extremely bloody piece of beef being roughly hewn in a very genteel restaurant

Edited by Domestic Goddess (log)

Doddie aka Domestic Goddess

"Nobody loves pork more than a Filipino"

eGFoodblog: Adobo and Fried Chicken in Korea

The dark side... my own blog: A Box of Jalapenos