• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

I'll Name the Food, You Name the Movie

Pontormo

On 11/2/2016 at 8:39 AM, liuzhou said:

"chicken sandwiches and cornets of caviar"

No Googling!

Does watching the movie count? It's "A Hard Day's Night" -- spoken by the wonderful Wilfrid Brambell ("He's very clean") playing Ringo's grandfather. He was only 52 at the time but absolutely looked 25 years older in the movie.

"...invites to gambling dens full of easy money and fast women, chicken sandwiches and cornets of caviar. Disgusting!"

And a little later, at the "gambling den": "A glass of the ol' Chablis to wash down a gesture of giblets wouldn't go amiss."

• Like 1

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer

8 hours ago, Alex said:

Does watching the movie count? It's "A Hard Day's Night" -- spoken by the wonderful Wilfrid Brambell ("He's very clean") playing Ringo's grandfather. He was only 52 at the time but absolutely looked 25 years older in the movie.

"...invites to gambling dens full of easy money and fast women, chicken sandwiches and cornets of caviar. Disgusting!"

And a little later, at the "gambling den": "A glass of the ol' Chablis to wash down a gesture of giblets wouldn't go amiss."

Indeed. But he plays Paul's grandfather; not Ringo's

Edited by liuzhou (log)

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

There are no more outstanding unsolved movie clues.

11. Submitted by Thanks for the Crepes: This one features donuts in an armored car in an already flooded town that is downstream from an old dam that's questionable under the circumstances, and eventually bursts during the movie, further flooding the town.

The answer to this was "Hard Rain" from 1998 with Morgan Freeman.

12. Submitted by liuzhou: 

"chicken sandwiches and cornets of caviar"

No Googling!

Congratulations to @Alex for this hard solution.

I'm glad there are no unresolved movie clues. I'm forced to resign as organizer of this thread due to family illness. This thread was a lot of fun, though.

> ^ . . ^ <

8 hours ago, Alex said:

Paul's grandfather. Great movie.

9 hours ago, liuzhou said:

Indeed. But he plays Paul's grandfather; not Ringo's

Oops, yes. Thanks.

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer

I gave my daughter that movie eight years ago, when she was 15 and had a huge thing for the Beatles. 

She wasn't your typical Millennial teen. I remember overhearing her on the phone with a friend, venting at length over how Patty Andrews' (of the Andrews Sisters) comedic chops were under-rated by movie buffs. On another occasion, when I asked her what she was doing, she told me she was making up a playlist of "a few of my favorite Cab Calloway songs" for the same friend. Mind you, she also had a blast singing along to the Ramones and X so it's not like she had just chosen the big-band era as her "thing."

• Like 1

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

7 minutes ago, chromedome said:

I gave my daughter that movie eight years ago, when she was 15 and had a huge thing for the Beatles. 

She wasn't your typical Millennial teen. I remember overhearing her on the phone with a friend, venting at length over how Patty Andrews' (of the Andrews Sisters) comedic chops were under-rated by movie buffs. On another occasion, when I asked her what she was doing, she told me she was making up a playlist of "a few of my favorite Cab Calloway songs" for the same friend. Mind you, she also had a blast singing along to the Ramones and X so it's not like she had just chosen the big-band era as her "thing."

That is terrific! It sounds like you were (and probably still are) a great dad. In my mid-teens I enjoyed Frank Sinatra and other "standards" (Mel Torme, et al.), usually on WNEW-AM, iirc. I think this also was an in-car compromise with my dad. I was fortunate than my parents never overtly criticized my listening to rock per se -- only my preferred volume. Then again, they'd also ask me to turn it down when I was listening to Beethoven.

I remember getting all teary-eyed when she and her brother regaled me with a spot-on rendition of "Lydia the Tattoed Lady." :)

• Like 1

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning