• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

I'll Name the Food, You Name the Movie

Pontormo

Another clue for #59:

She was from Virginia so he sent her a Virginia ham.

Edited by Toliver (log)

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

20 sounds like Jurassic Park solely from the non-food clues

Yes. It was the only food scene I could remember from the film, other than the lawyer being eaten by the T-Rex. :wink:

Well done!

Tim Oliver

Caviar and baby corn

Big

Correct! Isn't it amazing, considering how trivial the clue seems, that you can figure out the movie?

edited for bad copying and pasting

Edited by Toliver (log)

Tim Oliver

Caviar and baby corn

Big

Correct! Isn't it amazing, considering how trivial the clue seems, that you can figure out the movie?

Goes back to the days when I actually watched movies. Very cute scene where Tom Hanks eats the caviar, then wipes it off his tongue with a napkin. Then nibbles the baby corn as if it was a regular ear of corn.

Karen C.

"Oh, suddenly life’s fun, suddenly there’s a reason to get up in the morning – it’s called bacon!" - Sookie St. James

Travelogue: Ten days in Tuscany

Another clue for #59:

She was from Virginia so he sent her a Virginia ham.

Gotta be the American President then.

Yes. Correct again!

Tim Oliver

An easy movie food: Hamburgers and spinach

Possibly easy movie food: Lemonade and Girl Scout cookies

Also possibly easy movie food: "...a nice MLT - a mutton, lettuce and tomato sandwich, where the mutton is nice and lean and the tomato is ripe. They're so perky, I love that."

edited to add another movie food:

"A double Chubby Chuck, a Mexicali Chili Barb, two orders of French fries..."

"And cherry cokes."

Another movie food:

"Oh yes, ahh, the time has come, my little friends, to talk of food and things!"

"Of peppercorns and mustard seed and other seasonings. We’ll mix some all together in a sauce as good for kings."

"Callooh, callay, we’ll live today, like cabbages and kings!"

Edited by Toliver (log)

Tim Oliver

Hamburgers and spinach. 

Popeye?

"...a nice MLT..."

A well loved film...The Princess Bride.

Correct on both movies! Excellent!

Tim Oliver

42. A liquor bottle replaces Venus.

NEW CLUE: One of the stars is nominated for the Best Actor Oscar this year. (But for a different movie.)

This is a wild guess based on the clue.  Six Degrees of Separation?

Nope, sorry, Duck.

Our evening recap:

CONGRATULATIONS TO:

-I_call_the_duck for solving "Caviar and baby corn" as the movie "Big".

-GordonCooks for solving #20 (Melting ice cream. CLUE: Two kids have to eat the ice cream because the power is out. CLUE: The power is out on the island. CLUE: The power is out on their Grandfather's island because of the hurricane that just blew through) as the movie "Jurassic Park", and for also solving #59 (Virginia Ham. CLUE: She was from Virginia so he sent her a Virginia ham) as the film "The American President".

-crouching tyler has correctly guessed that #62 (a fabulous [imaginary] buffet culminating in a technicolor fooodfight) is the film "Hook".

-petite tête de chou correctly guessed that "Hamburgers and spinach" was the film "Popeye" and also correctly guessed that "...a nice MLT - a mutton, lettuce and tomato sandwich, where the mutton is nice and lean and the tomato is ripe. They're so perky, I love that" is from the film "The Princess Bride".

We also know:

#42 is not "Six Degrees of Separation"

#49 is not "Lilies of the Field"

WAITING FOR CONFIRMATION:

-dsquare has guessed that #60 is "Summer Rental"

AS YET UNSOLVED AND STILL IN PLAY:

33. Undercooked foie gras, lobster in a tank, pasta

42. A liquor bottle replaces Venus.

NEW CLUE: One of the stars is nominated for the Best Actor Oscar this year. (But for a different movie.)

49. How about "A solitary fried egg, soup with a ham hock"

53. "Turn me over I am done on this side."

55. How current are you in your movies? Movie food = individual chocolate soufflés

60. Scully's Catches of the Day and a nearly empty tank of lobsters

61. The following items are on the menu in this movie:

melon with port, herring, snails ala mode Chablis, hare pate, grilled sardines, filet of sole, fried whiting, skate in brown butter, quenelles of pike, truit au bleu, vol au vent, three cups of tea, two with lemon, one with milk, three coffees, one with cognac, a glass of poisoned milk, three glasses of water, champagne, bread, lettuce, whiskey and soda, foie gras, ham, dry martinis, eggs, cheese, roast chicken, port ,omelet with truffles, guinea hen, soup, leg of lamb with beans, American canned beans, and in conclusion, leftover roast meat and a baguette for a late night snack.

63. Lemonade and Girl Scout cookies

64. "A double Chubby Chuck, a Mexicali Chili Barb, two orders of French fries..."

"And cherry cokes."

65. "Oh yes, ahh, the time has come, my little friends, to talk of food and things!"

"Of peppercorns and mustard seed and other seasonings. We’ll mix some all together in a sauce as good for kings."

NOTE: If you post a movie, please check back to see if the guesses on your movie are correct or not so we can keep the "Still in Play" list accurate.

Also, consider posting more clues if your movie remains unsolved.

Tim Oliver

Scully's Catches of the Day  and a nearly empty tank of lobsters

Summer Rental

Yes.

John Candy was such a funny, sweet guy and gone too soon.

And this old porch is like a steaming greasy plate of enchiladas,With lots of cheese and onions and a guacamole salad ...This Old Porch...Lyle Lovett

#63 Lemonade and Girl Scout Cookies

Is it made from real lemons?

Are they made from real Girl Scouts?

Adams Family

And this old porch is like a steaming greasy plate of enchiladas,With lots of cheese and onions and a guacamole salad ...This Old Porch...Lyle Lovett

Another movie food:

"Oh yes, ahh, the time has come, my little friends, to talk of food and things!"

Well, I thought that was a reference to the "Walrus and the Carpenter" from Alice through the Looking Glass (Alice in Wonderland) but that isn't the quote so I must be wrong.

:huh:

Looks as if we need a clue for Number 33. "Undercooked foie gras, lobster in a tank, pasta".

OK, here is the clue: This foodie movie is in German with English subtitles and its musical score is as great as its food.

“Cheese has always been a food that both sophisticated and simple humans love.”

M.F.K. Fisher, How to Cook a Wolf (1942)

I would like to add these movie games:

Game 66: Live, wriggling reptilian alien looking frogs swallowed whole.

Game 67: Chilled monkey-brains served fresh from the original container.

Game 68: Sushi prepared/served by a commando penguin

Edited by Domestic Goddess (log)

Doddie aka Domestic Goddess

"Nobody loves pork more than a Filipino"

eGFoodblog: Adobo and Fried Chicken in Korea

The dark side... my own blog: A Box of Jalapenos

Looks as if we need a clue for Number 33. "Undercooked foie gras, lobster in a tank, pasta".

OK, here is the clue: This foodie movie is in German with English subtitles and its musical score is as great as its food.

Mostly Martha?

Shelley: Would you like some pie?

Gordon: MASSIVE, MASSIVE QUANTITIES AND A GLASS OF WATER, SWEETHEART. MY SOCKS ARE ON FIRE.

Twin Peaks

I would like to add these movie games:

Game 66: Live, wriggling reptilian alien looking frogs swallowed whole.

Game 67: Chilled monkey-brains served fresh from the original container.

Game 68: Sushi prepared/served by a commando penguin

No. 67. 'ah, dessert, chilled monkey brains'....Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom

As the only cartoon penguin film I'm aware of is 'Happy Feet', that's what I'm guessing for No. 68

but the only frog eating I can think of is the biology teacher who has been possessed by aliens eating a formaldehyde pickled frog in Invaders from Mars.......

Edited by insomniac (log)

Mostly Martha?

HURRAY for you, petite tête de chou!! Yes, Mostly Martha. I know some people think the story is too predictable; but I love this movie. I believe it ranks with Babette and Big Night and some of the "classics". I am pretty sure even those who don't like subtitled movies will get so engrossed it will not be a problem. And don't worry (as I did upon hearing the title), this has nothing to do with Ms. Stewart!!

The foie gras issue gives the chef a great opportunity to really let a customer have it; her sessions with her shrink included the lobster analogies (and much recipe talk) and the pasta is what finally turns the corner. The music is Keith Jarrett and Dean Martin and on and on. I left out the blind folded tasting test since I thought it might be too easy. Love and passion and food and life, yes!

Congratulations again on your successful guess.

“Cheese has always been a food that both sophisticated and simple humans love.”

M.F.K. Fisher, How to Cook a Wolf (1942)

Answers to 67 and 68 are both correct. Congrats Insomniac and I_call_the_duck!

66 game: more clues, the live reptilian alien frogs were served from a glass bowl while a blue dancer danced

Doddie aka Domestic Goddess

"Nobody loves pork more than a Filipino"

eGFoodblog: Adobo and Fried Chicken in Korea

The dark side... my own blog: A Box of Jalapenos