• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Food Intolerances/Allergies/Aversions

When I started in the food business about 16 years ago, I rarely heard "food allergy" or "lactose intolerance" or what have you. The only special food requests I got were from diabetics who requested sugar free items.

Then I started getting the low-fat and the fat-free requests from people watching their weight.

Same here. I had never heard of peanut allergies either - I wonder if that's a relatively recent development as well.

Edit - oh, and one additional theory I've heard is that our ultra-sanitized food may be to blame.

Edited by johnsmith45678 (log)

I think it's a combination of a lot of things.

Part of it is definitely better diagnosis. Back when I was little and had an anaphylactic reaction to dairy, very little was known about allergies in general, and looking back I'm lucky the doctors figured out what was wrong *and* that my parents were able to figure out how to feed me (severe allergy to wheat as well) with what was available at the time. I know of several small children (kids of friends) who years ago would simply have been diagnosed with "colic", but once they were taken off dairy or soy or what have you, they calmed right down and didn't have any more problems. So I'm betting there are many people who are simply diagnosed properly now, versus many years ago.

I've also heard the theory that all of the environmental toxins, food additives, and chemicals that we are in contact with on a daily basis is affecting allergy levels. The theory is that the immune system has only so much to devote to fighting off bad stuff, and when there is constant exposure to things that tax the immune system it reacts more strongly to allergens than it would otherwise. Anecdotally, I know of many people who have far worse allergy symptoms during high pollen counts, even reacting more strongly to other allergens like pet dander or mold.

Formula usage is also associated with higher rates of allergy in general. This may well coincide with the above theory, especially since commercially available formulas are made up of some of the most common food allergens (dairy, soy, and corn).

There's probably some merit in having an environment that is too sterile in general. Antibacterial products (now found almost everywhere) and even routine vaccinations that limit the possibility of what used to be typical "childhood illnesses" may affect a growing immune system's ability to form properly. Hard to say one way or the other, anyway.

Kathy

Cooking is like love. It should be entered into with abandon or not at all. - Harriet Van Horne

It's my opinion that 90 percent of the "Food Allergies" that many people claim to have are a load of crap. There are some people that have legitimate allergies, such as those that are allergic to peanuts and shellfish, and my own allergic tendency towards dairy (I actually get a severe histimine reaction to eating dairy foods with high concentrations of casein) but people saying they are allergic to the MSG used in Chinese food is just a bunch of hooey. MSG doesnt seem to stop people from eating Doritos or eating McDonald's French Fries, but suddenly having Beef and Broccoli might kill you? No, I don't think so.

Most "Allergies" are just convenient excuses or hang ups about foods they don't like.

Edited by Jason Perlow (log)

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

I am only allergic to some antibiotics and Cilantro...

just kidding about the cilantro, and I promise to never tell a waitperson that I am allergic to it. :smile:

tracey

The great thing about barbeque is that when you get hungry 3 hours later....you can lick your fingers

Maxine

Avoid cutting yourself while slicing vegetables by getting someone else to hold them while you chop away.

"It is the government's fault, they've eaten everything."

My Webpage

garden state motorcyle association

It's my opinion that 90 percent of the "Food Allergies" that many people claim to have are a load of crap. There are some people that have legitimate allergies, such as those that are allergic to peanuts and shellfish, and my own allergic tendency towards dairy (I actually get a severe histimine reaction to eating dairy foods with high concentrations of casein) but people saying they are allergic to the MSG used in Chinese food is just a bunch of hooey. MSG doesnt seem to stop people from eating Doritos or eating McDonald's French Fries, but suddenly having Beef and Broccoli might kill you? No, I don't think so.

Most "Allergies" are just convenient excuses or hang ups about foods they don't like.

I'd caution any food professional from adopting this point of view, or at least to the extent of blowing off a customer's comments about their allergies. I probably would have had similar thoughts to Jason's before having kids and watching "the next generation" struggle with food allergies.

As for the "why", I'd ditto tejon's comments.

It sucks as a consumer or a producer, or even as someone who just want to serve a kid a pb&j. Are some people lying or misinformed when they say they're allergic to a food? Sure. Are there people who are allergic (or have other health-threatening reactions) to cilantro, cucumbers, corn, MSG, nitrates, milk, nuts, whatever? Yup.

Bridget Avila

My Blog

Many years ago when I was having trouble with hives I visited an allergist to whom I posed that question: what's with all these allergies? He said that a lot of people generalize their symptom as "allergy" when it could be more accurately described as a sensitivity. This is not to say that people who eat peanuts and have an anaphylactic reaction are not having a problem; it is when people have an upset stomach after eating ice cream that shouldn't be characterized as allergy. But either way, they still have a problem they're trying to avoid and I'm trying to accommodate them. I do have to roll my eyes when someone makes a big deal out of taking a pill just before eating cake samples (for pete's sake, take it before you get here!! :laugh: )

I'm having the same issue in business - when someone orders a cake, I'm getting all kinds of "does it have nuts in it" when I didn't get that question even 5 years ago. I've had to give up using certain products because I never know whether or not someone with a peanut allergy will ingest it - case in point is one of my favorite coffee extracts (available to the trade) lists peanut oil in the ingredient list. So I have to be aware that someone eating a mocha icing or cake from me when I use that product needs to be alerted to the fact. I feel like people with a peanut allergy have a life threatening thing compared to someone who is lactose intolerant and I'm not willing to take a chance on that. And I've had chefs call me during a shift to ask me to list exactly what is in a cheesecake or tart because a customer is asking so they can order a dessert without worries.

I think it's like autism; we know more about it now than we did 20 years ago so we're better able to diagnose it and everyone wants to know why there are apparently more cases of autism diagnosed every year. And now, the average consumer has more information at their disposal comparatively speaking; 20 years ago all you had was the local library and the reference librarian as a source of data.

Here's an interesting article.

This is a quote from it:

With better-insulated homes and more antibiotic soaps and household cleaners coming into the market, Americans could create environments where immune systems are overly sensitive to harmless substances, he says.

Sicherer explains the "hygiene theory." The immune system has two sides maintaining a balance. One side fights bacteria and the other side fights parasites. But with better medicine and more technology, the part of the immune system looking for bacteria has little to do, and the side that fights parasites becomes more active. In the absence of parasites, this part of the immune system is capable of the allergic attack on allergens from foods, pollens, animal danders and other normally harmless substances.

Interesting.

I stopped buying all that "antibacterial" stuff a long time ago by the way. I totally believe the use of that stuff just encourages the formations of harder-to-fight strains. We're going to sterilize ourselves out of existence.

I'm at a strange point in my professional life as how to deal with this "new trend". I've gotten enough requests from clients for "special diet" needs that it's captured my attention, but I don't get enough requests to justify buying in all the special (and expensive) ingredients to accomodate a still "too small" niche in the market. Besides, I'm so accustomed to making high end pastries and cakes using the finest ingredients, when I try to make something "wheat free" or "sugar free" or "egg free" or "dairy free", it just doesn't taste that good to me. Oh, I know, it's not about "me"....and I'm sure the customers who have the allergies would appreciate anything they could get. BUT......they are still unwilling to pay the higher price I would have to charge them. One person actually accused me of "penalizing" them for having an allergy. Good god.

Right now, I just refer clients elsewhere......there's a Food Co-op in town that specializes in all sorts of weird diet requests. There's also a wholesale bakery in Seattle called "The Flying Apron".

And there's this place too.

Anybody think (or know) that all these seemingly new allergies are leading to more lawsuits, more legal fees, higher insurance rates, and so on? The peanut allergy seems like the most frightening since it's so severe and so many foods contain peanuts and may not even be aware of it. But restaurants have had to deal with the threat of E. Coli, salmonella, and other nasties for a long time.

There was a thread discussing this very topic not so long ago. Link below:

Thanks Mr. du bois, I should have done a search, but has anyone noticed that the search function isn't all that great? I hesitate to use it for that reason....but I digress.

At least it's reassuring to know that I'm not the only one who seems to realize that this whole food allergy thing is something that didn't seem to exist before, and now it's like every third person I meet has some sort of "food problem". For the most part, I must say, truthfully, that it annoys the heck out of me. I mean, if I were a person with a TRUE food allergy, I wouldn't be trying to make it someone else's problem. By that I mean, say, I had a peanut allergy. I wouldn't go into a bakery ranting and raving that they couldn't guarantee any of their products had ever come into contact with a peanut product and raise holy hell. I have found a lot of these "special diet" people perhaps feel deprived and angry about their condition and become demanding and unpleasant because of this.

They wonder why I just can't "pull a rabbit out of a hat". Well, I can, but it will cost them. Then they get mad about THAT.

That's the annoying part of it.

But restaurants have had to deal with the threat of E. Coli, salmonella, and other nasties for a long time.

I think this is a different issue. E. coli, and salmonella are preventable illnesses and only make their ugly appearance when foods are handled improperly and not cooked fully. Food allergies are not "preventable illnesses" stemming from poor sanitation. They already exist in the person that is "allergic", it's not the restaurant's problem if they have a certain condition. The restaurant's only responsibility is to be able to inform their patrons exactly what every dish contains. That's the kind of world we live in now.

I'd caution any food professional from adopting this point of view, or at least to the extent of blowing off a customer's comments about their allergies. I probably would have had similar thoughts to Jason's before having kids and watching "the next generation" struggle with food allergies.

As for the "why", I'd ditto tejon's comments.

It sucks as a consumer or a producer, or even as someone who just want to serve a kid a pb&j. Are some people lying or misinformed when they say they're allergic to a food? Sure. Are there people who are allergic (or have other health-threatening reactions) to cilantro, cucumbers, corn, MSG, nitrates, milk, nuts, whatever? Yup.

Academy of Family Physicians on food allergies

MSG

Couple of helpful links.

Facts are many more people think they have food allergies than actually have them.

MSG--little evidence to support belief by many that MSG is a problem.

Facts are many more people think they have food allergies than actually have them.

MSG--little evidence to support belief by many that MSG is a problem.

Yup.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

I remember having this discussion a lot when I lived in Korea. One of my friends had Celiac's disease (he couldn't eat wheat, barley or oats), one friend was allergic to nuts, and another friend had a severe shellfish allergy. It was always very hard for them to explain their situations in Korea, as food allergies are practically unheard of there. My friend with the shellfish allergy had to avoid almost all soups and stews, and of course all Kimchi. She even had a little note printed up in Korean to show kitchen staff, but most of the time even the note didn't help, as they only thought it meant eating shellfish, but didn't extend to anything with shellfish in it. I can't remember the times I grabbed her hand over a dish and screamed, "Don't eat that!".

My friend (who had Celiac's) Korean girlfriend always used to remark with amazement that they were all alive. Her point: In the past, if you'd been allergic to any of the commonly eaten foods in Korea, you wouldn't have survived to adulthood. I sense she was overstating a bit (I think she thought they were all crazy), but could that be part of the case as well? In the past, (I'm thinking of a hundred years ago) people would say, "Oh, that child's always sickly". They might not have grown up to pass those genes on. Now with better healthcare, people are surviving things they wouldn't have in the past, and passing on that genetic trait?

But restaurants have had to deal with the threat of E. Coli, salmonella, and other nasties for a long time.

I think this is a different issue. E. coli, and salmonella are preventable illnesses and only make their ugly appearance when foods are handled improperly and not cooked fully. Food allergies are not "preventable illnesses" stemming from poor sanitation. They already exist in the person that is "allergic", it's not the restaurant's problem if they have a certain condition. The restaurant's only responsibility is to be able to inform their patrons exactly what every dish contains. That's the kind of world we live in now.

I think they're quite similar in that a food server can get blind-sided by either - undisclosed peanuts in a food ingredient, or E. coli or salmonella showing up in apple juice, or something else. Also, with something as severe as peanut allergies, I imagine cross-contamination could very well be an issue - somebody works with peanuts, then switches to working on something that's not supposed to contain peanuts, and omits washing their hands/tools. There was a story a while about a girl (who died I think) who got anaphylactic shock after kissing her boyfriend who had eaten something with peanuts in it.

Edited by johnsmith45678 (log)

I'm sure there are many people who think they're allergic, but aren't in actuality. And there are those who hide behind an "allergy", when they really just don't like a food or dish. Then there are people who don't have an actual allergy, but use that term because it's easier than explaining things further (case in point, a friend with celiac disease who would end up doubled in pain for days after the slightest amount of gluten usually just said he was allergic to wheat). Or people with sensitivities that make them uncomfortable after consuming a certain food - not an allergy, but something they need to avoid.

It's almost impossible to know if someone is, in fact, allergic to something if they claim to be. But I'd certainly err on the side of caution instead of assuming that someone claiming a food allergy is either wrong or being less than honest.

Edited by tejon (log)

Kathy

Cooking is like love. It should be entered into with abandon or not at all. - Harriet Van Horne

I'm sure there are many people who think they're allergic, but aren't in actuality. And there are those who hide behind an "allergy", when they really just don't like a food or dish. Then there are people who don't have an actual allergy, but use that term because it's easier than explaining things further (case in point, a friend with celiac disease who would end up doubled in pain for days after the slightest amount of gluten usually just said he was allergic to wheat). Or people with sensitivities that make them uncomfortable after consuming a certain food - not an allergy, but something they need to avoid.

It's almost impossible to know if someone is, in fact, allergic to something if they claim to be. But I'd certainly err on the side of caution instead of assuming that someone claiming a food allergy is either wrong or being less than honest.

Most of the scientific evidence I have found indicates that about 25% of the population believes they have a food allergy. In actuality about 8% of adults have some real allergic reaction to foods. (sure the total numbers are nothing to scoff at but still we are a society of hypochondriacs).

App 2% of children actually have food allergies.

There is a lot of confusion and pure myth:

Lactose intolerance for eg is not an allergy.

There is little evidence to suggest that MSG causes bad reaction.

Natural foods tend to cause more allergic reactions.

IMOP--recent generations are way too sensitive in general.

Sensitive and whiney !

Active imaginations and scare mongering by the press are to blame as well.

There are a lot of "voodoo" merchants out there as well--a large chunk of the health food movement for eg.

Food allergies are real (and can be very serious) but let's keep things in perspective!!!

I have a hard time being objective and impartial about food allergies.

Two of my four kids have food allergies. Their allergies aren't imaginary or dreamed up, they aren't mere intolerances, or food dislikes. They both have been through extensive allergy testing, by 2 different allergists.

In our case it's genetics. When both parents have atopic conditions (allergies of any kind, asthma or eczema), their offspring have something like a 60% chance of having any or all or these conditions... so far we're batting 3 of 4. LittleFoodie#1 has food allergies, drug allergies, pollen allergies, dander allergies, dust mite allergies, eczema and unspecified asthma. LittleFoodie#2 has eczema and seasonal rhinitis, LittleFoodie#3 seems to be following in #1's footsteps. So far LittleFoodie#4 is just refluxy.

The upside of my kids food allergies is that it weaned me off of a dependence on convenience foods, because when #1 was younger, his allergies were to the point where there were no safe convenience foods. He's also our little gourmet of the bunch.

Cheryl

In the past, (I'm thinking of a hundred years ago) people would say, "Oh, that child's always sickly". They might not have grown up to pass those genes on. Now with better healthcare, people are surviving things they wouldn't have in the past, and passing on that genetic trait?

Good point.

SuzySushi

"She sells shiso by the seashore."

My eGullet Foodblog: A Tropical Christmas in the Suburbs

I think you're right. The MSG thing always makes me laugh.

And, to the original intent of the thread, I do think people believe they have more allergies and sensitivities; definitely more than 20 years ago when I started cooking professionally. I think it's indicative of our 'national eating disorder (as Mr. Pollan put it so well), coupled with OTC and prescription drug marketing, and way too much information from TV nutritionists.

Soybean, dairy, soybeans, corn, are in both in formula and in nursing mothers' diets. I've read theories that the genetic engineering of such foods (and peanuts) is to blame for the allergic reactions that seem to be on the increase for children who are fed both ways.

I don't sniff at others' allergies, real or perceived. I do get the impression that it's a way to feel special and make people do your bidding.

Edited by FabulousFoodBabe (log)
"Oh, tuna. Tuna, tuna, tuna." -Andy Bernard, The Office

• 2 weeks later...
There was a story a while about a girl (who died I think) who got anaphylactic shock after kissing her boyfriend who had eaten something with peanuts in it.

Actually, it turns out that wasn't the case. When the final coroner's report was released, it stated that the girl also had severe asthma and in fact died of anoxia (lack of oxygen to the brain) due to that condition. Not anaphylaxis due to the boyfriend's peanut butter sandwich at all.

d.

My wife has serious reactions to peanuts and raw fruits and vegetables. It kills her when I eat apples or salads.

Thinking it might be pesticides, we gave organic apples a shot. She still had a reaction so we've ruled that out. Once the apple had been poached though, she could chow down.

:sad:

Unlike my wife who has multiple food allergies from fruits to nuts I have been allergic free until last year. I made crab cakes and after dinner had a bourbon and a cigar. Later that evening had hand itching that was incredible. Rash developed across my body. 60mg of prednisone elevated the itching. I know it wasn't the cigar or bourbon so that leaves crabs!!!!. One of my favorite things to eat is now off the list. I have peeled pounds of shrimp and eaten other shell fish without any ill effects. I have a few steroid tabs left and want to catch a blue crab fresh from the water and give it a try. Never know if it's the crab or preservative used in packaged crab.

Misplaced_Texan, the thing with your wife with the raw fruit and veggies is actually fairly common. I think it's called Oral Allergy Syndrome and can have something to do with allergies to things like birch and ragweed pollens. Here's a blurb on it.

http://allergies.about.com/cs/oas/a/aa052499.htm

Scubadoo97- it probably was the crab rather than a preservative, but if you want to double check, instead of actually eating a crab, have a doctor do a skin or blood test for crab allergy. Not a lot of fun either way, but definitely less hazardous.

Cheryl

Misplaced_Texan, the thing with your wife with the raw fruit and veggies is actually fairly common. I think it's called Oral Allergy Syndrome and can have something to do with allergies to things like birch and ragweed pollens. Here's a blurb on it.

http://allergies.about.com/cs/oas/a/aa052499.htm

Thank you for the link! She has gone to doctors about it and was taking shots at one point, but they made her sick so she stopped going.

At the very least she's not allergic to garlic like a friend of ours. I don't know what I'd do if I had to cut that out of my cooking.