• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Tag Team eG Foodblog: Light My Fire!

In one of my few smart moves, I replaced the tank the weekend before the blog started.

I thought we had done that. :hmmm: Fortunately, we carry an extra propane tank in the rig, so we dug that out. Never mind that we have two for the house and both were empty!

Dinner was late, but good. Ribs, broccoli and hollandaise, baked potatoes. We're too full for dessert right now!

I foiled the ribs and put them on the grill using indirect heat. I use the heavy duty foil, wrapped twice for this:

gallery_6080_2891_15611.jpg

The potatoes get oiled and rubbed with kosher salt and placed on the top rack about an hour after the ribs go on. (It was about this time we noticed we'd run out of gas)

gallery_6080_2891_1087.jpg

gallery_6080_2891_23223.jpg

After a couple of hours, the ribs come out of the foil and go onto direct heat with some sauce to crisp up

The broccoli in this instance gets steamed:

gallery_6080_2891_20802.jpg

Once everything is ready, Don serves, and I make the hollandaise in the blender:

gallery_6080_2891_29563.jpg

Dinner

gallery_6080_2891_19423.jpg

gallery_6080_2891_1952.jpg

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.

Middle child is in bed, youngest one is in bed, having had his story and now reading, and the teen is taking a bath (again). It's nice and quiet!

As I mentioned uptopic, it was an absolutely stunning May day. The kind we should have expected all during this blog.

gallery_6263_35_83290.jpg

gallery_6263_35_113887.jpg

This is where I sit and drink part of my first cup of coffee every morning (the rest of that cup is consumed during my yard walk around). I love this glider rocker. We bought it in 1998, when we put a pergola in the backyard of our former house. When we sold the house two years ago, a wisteria had climbed and covered the top. The glider was a Mother's Day present, probably the one I've gotten the most enjoyment out of.

But, to dinner (you can see that I've already started the grill; Paul called at 6:00 to say he was one the way home).

gallery_6263_35_1378519.jpg

Chicken sausages, ramps, asparagus and zucchini. I did add more asparagus and zucchini to the mix after I took this photo. I've also discovered that the ramps don't fall through the grill if you leave the leaves on them.

gallery_6263_35_75542.jpg

One of my sausages burst. Oh, well. It was still yummy.

gallery_6263_35_78406.jpg

I am even prouder of this sausage than I am of my bacon. Over on the Charcuterie topic, a whole bunch of us have made sausages, which aren't as slam dunk as you might think. There is the matter of how much fat. How cold when you grind, and how cold when you bind, how full you fill the casings, how you soak the casings. My first attemp was crumbly, and my second not much better. But, these were perfect. Nirvana. Mike, buy the book and get bitten by the bug. (BTW, I want those chips)

Susan Fahning aka "snowangel"

Dessert, since I don't have any cake:

gallery_6263_35_95680.jpg

I would have chosen Shaker's, but I wanted a citrus kick, and am out of lemons and limes. Shaker's Rye is absolutely fab.

Peter just came to give me a kiss and tell me how wonderful these sausages were. Paul and Diana's immediate reaction was to ask for all sorts of condiments (including kraut), but these are a finely textured and flavored sausage that needs nothing but perhaps some more cracked black pepper. Next time around, I think I'll up the sun-dried tomatoes a bit.

Mike, that is one pretty pitcher. In the woulda, shoulda, coulda department, there was so much stuff that were I to clean out my grandmother's house how, I would have taken. Instead, I was young and naive: "hey, yes you can have the cast iron pans that have been in the family for a century." "you want that neat-o-keen-o pitcher, take it."

And, my Costco does not sell hot Italian sausage. But, I can make my own! Is your Costco convenient?

It's been a lot of fun. The weather sucked, but we managed. Susan and I work together like a well oiled machine, but it was a pleasure having Mike along as a partner. We couldn't have asked for better, and my thanks to his wife Maggie for being such a trooper.

I've enjoyed this, but I don't think I'll be cooking tomorrow, nor will I be picking up a camera in the near future! My family wants pasta, or take out or anything that doesn't involve a bbq.

Thanks everyone for tagging along. I hope you had fun!

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.

A great big Thank You! to all three of you for reopening the big hole in my culinary soul that was first blasted open when I moved out of an apartment building with a courtyard. I love my countertop grill, but there are some things you just can't do with one of those.

Yes, I've heard of indoor smokers too. But where would I put one of those in my relatively compact kitchen? And they still use electricity, not charcoal.

Hey, at least I got to relive the thrill of the (outdoor) grill vicariously through this blog. And Mike--you deserve a gold star and several stiff drinks for soldiering on through the wettest week in Pennsylvania since Hurricane Agnes drowned the state in 1973.

It's been a load of fun watching you all expose your butts as well. Would that I had one that looked that good!

Sandy Smith, Exile on Oxford Circle, Philadelphia

"95% of success in life is showing up." --Woody Allen

My foodblogs: 1 | 2 | 3

I've enjoyed this, but I don't think I'll be cooking tomorrow, nor will I be picking up a camera in the near future!  My family wants pasta, or take out or anything that doesn't involve a bbq.

You and me both! My kids are ready for a break from photoing everything! I'm thinking that maybe I will get that head of iceberg tomorrow and heat up some butt, get out some tortillas, cheese and salsa, but if that doesn't happen, we can call for takeout and the teen can use her learner's permit to drive Paul to get it.

I did get to spend some quality phone time with a close friend, who will be joining us with her family at the cabin this weekend planning menus; charcuterie and smoked pork will be featured!

Who'd have thunk that when I agreed to this blog that we would have the wettest May week in recorded history?

Yes, Marlene, we do work like a well-oiled machine, and it was an absolute pleasure having Mike join us. He is a grilling and smoking master, and I'm going to lure him into the world of Charcuterie!

So, to those who have tagged along, dust off those grills, get some charcoal or an extra tank of propane, and light that fire! I've proved that you don't need fancy equipment do make bacon, sausages and make everyone you know happy!

What fun, what total fun this blog has been!

gallery_6263_35_113887.jpg

This is where I sit and drink part of my first cup of coffee every morning (the rest of that cup is consumed during my yard walk around).  I love this glider rocker.  We bought it in 1998, when we put a pergola in the backyard of our former house.  When we sold the house two years ago, a wisteria had climbed and covered the top. The glider was a Mother's Day present, probably the one I've gotten the most enjoyment out of.

Susan, I have the swivel and rocker chairs - and table - that match that glider.

I am inspired and amazed at the sausage and cookery that I've seen on this thread. The sausage-making in particular looks like something that would, indeed, be rewarding - and take way too much time and space in our household. Maybe next year.

Mike, that is one pretty pitcher.  In the woulda, shoulda, coulda department, there was so much stuff that were I to clean out my grandmother's house how, I would have taken.  Instead, I was young and naive:  "hey, yes you can have the cast iron pans that have been in the family for a century."  "you want that neat-o-keen-o pitcher, take it."

I did manage to hang onto a lot of family heirlooms, and am trying still to work out where to keep them, and when to use them. That is a great pitcher, Mike. I'm glad you and Maggie like it well enough to continue the pattern.

Marlene, no quotes from or about you in this post, but I want to extend my thanks and admiration to you as well.

Thanks, all, for a terrific blog!

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

thanks for a tremendous 'ode to a pig' ... or several pigs in this case.

i have always done more beef and lamb in my summer barbq, but you have inspired me to push friends to pork this summer!

thanks for a triple order of weekly blog, and please keep sharing...

[...]Thanks everyone for tagging along.  I hope you had fun!

Sure did! I can't see grilling being part of my life in the foreseeable future, but it was fun to watch the process. May you all have better weather next week.

Michael aka "Pan"

I've enjoyed this, but I don't think I'll be cooking tomorrow, nor will I be picking up a camera in the near future!  My family wants pasta, or take out or anything that doesn't involve a bbq.

Heh. I totally understand ... after the excesses of my first foray into foodblogging, I was more than ready to go on my healthy-eating kick. :smile:

Thanks, all of you, for letting neither rain nor thunderstorms nor gloom stay your grills from their appointed rounds. (And for some seriously yummy pictures!)

Thanks for blogging this week. Its really nice seeing all the food prepared, especially when the weather was so bad! Cheers to all 3 of you for trudging along, despite some difficulties! :)

Great food and photos, nostalgia-inducing backyards and more beautiful butt than I could have imagined. Thankyou, Thankyou, Thankyou for taking the time and energy to blog this week.

If only Jack Nicholson could have narrated my dinner, it would have been perfect.

Sitting here drinking my coffee this morning it is relaxing to know I don't have to take any pictures.

My first blog was a real joy. Thanks to everyone who read and commented. Get off your butts and go cook one! With the summer upon us make sure you go out and light some sort of fire.

A special tip of the hat to my PA board homeys Sandy and Katieand Lori. After this week I am even more impressed with Sandy's recent blog. Katie hasn't blogged in a while and I think she is due

Many, many thanks to Marlene and Susan. Back when they first asked me to blog with them I was hesitant. I said they were two of the E-Gullet "big timers". They are that. But, they also made me feel so welcome that I had to say yes. I'm glad I did. In my mind they are both very special women and they have wonderful families and a full life. I am happy and proud to have blogged with them and equally happy they are my EGullet pals. Thanks you two, it was my pleasure.

And an extra big thanks to my darling Maggie for putting up with me this week. It rained here all week, but it was OK because she is the sunshine in my life. I promise the camera goes away for a while. This Saturday is our tenth anniversary. All she asked me for was not to take any pictures of her dinner that night. We are going out, I'm not grilling. I do love her so.

Edited by lancastermike (log)

Great job everybody - you guys really got things rolling for the summer grilling season ahead! Thank you!

Perhaps Egullet rain ponchos are needed?

:cool::cool::cool:

"I took the habit of asking Pierre to bring me whatever looks good today and he would bring out the most wonderful things," - bleudauvergne

foodblogs: Dining Downeast I - Dining Downeast II

Portland Food Map.com

Thank you all for showing me a slice of life so very very different from mine.

In your honor, I smoked a tiny duckbreast and a slightly larger chicken breast this week on my new stovetop smoker. But I really enjoyed seeing butts, bacon and rows of sausages on your grills and smokers.

That mile high pie is in my files waiting for the right occasion.

Thanks for doing this, all 3 of you, it's hard work, please know it is much appreciated!

Mike, happy anniversary to you and Maggie. Dennis and I celebrated our 11th anniversay last week and one of my presents for him, was that I did not take pics of the restaurant dinner we had (like I always do) :smile:

Edited by Chufi (log)

Thank you all for showing me a slice of life so very very different from mine.

In your honor, I smoked a tiny duckbreast and a slightly larger chicken breast this week on my new stovetop smoker. But I really enjoyed seeing butts, bacon and rows of sausages on your grills and smokers.

That mile high pie is in my files waiting for the right occasion.

Thanks for doing this, all 3 of you, it's hard work, please know it is much appreciated!

Mike, happy anniversary to you and Maggie. Dennis and I celebrated our 11th anniversay last week and one of my presents for him, was that I did not take pics of the restaurant dinner we had (like I always do)  :smile:

Thank you Klary,

Your blog showed us a portion of your life as well. Differences yes, but much in common as well.

The pie is real good, I have made it many times, it is always a hit

And an extra big thanks to my darling Maggie for putting up with me this week. It rained here all week, but it was OK because she is the sunshine in my life.  I promise the camera goes away for a while.  This Saturday is our tenth anniversary.  All she asked me for was not to take any pictures of her dinner that night.  We are going out, I'm not grilling.  I do love her so.

Awwwwww..... :wub:

I hope both of you enjoy your special night--just the two of you, with neither of us looking over your shoulders. And enjoy your well-deserved rest from the series of wind sprints that is foodblogging.

Mike, you did us all proud on this blog. As for the other Pennsylvania subject that at once unites and divides the two of us, all I will say is this: It looks like regardless what I may think of the electorate in the rest of the state, they are more engaged and aware than Philadelphians are! You have my permission to insert your favorite "corrupt and contented" comment in response. (To the non-Pennsylvanians reading this: Yesterday was the state primary election. Voters in a number of districts--only one of which is in metropolitan Philadelphia--tossed out long-serving legislators, including the two top leaders in the state Senate, as punishment for a stealth pay raise they voted themselves in the middle of the night last year, then took right away via a questionable constitutional loophole the courts provided for them some time back.)

Sandy Smith, Exile on Oxford Circle, Philadelphia

"95% of success in life is showing up." --Woody Allen

My foodblogs: 1 | 2 | 3

Thanks all the way around to all three of the bloggers. I really enjoyed the trip. The food looked great. I will definitely be trying some of the dishes, especially the pizza.

I cooked a rack of babybacks on sunday, using Emeril's essence as a dry rub. After they had been spent 24 hours in the fridge, I smoked the babies on a barrel-style smoker at 250 degrees until they were nearly fall-off-the-bone tender. I thought they were delicious without any sauce added.

Thanks again for the fanasty in food, and I am looking forward to the next food adventure.

Lee