• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

ISO: Fire Roasted Tomatoes

Darienne

Any Ontario grocery chains carry this?  I'd really like to be able to buy them.  And I have to be able to tell Ed where to look.  Thanks. 

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

1 hour ago, Darienne said:

Any Ontario grocery chains carry this?  I'd really like to be able to buy them.  And I have to be able to tell Ed where to look.  Thanks. 

My local No Frills carries the Muir Glen brand so check there and Superstore (although probably more expensive there).

Edited by Senior Sea Kayaker (log)
  • Thanks 1

'A drink to the livin', a toast to the dead' Gordon Lightfoot

No Frills carry the Muir Glen roasted tomaoes as do most supermarkets in Ontario. I would look for them where all the other canned tomatoes are displayed. They are available from Amazon but from the looks of it at twice the price you can get them in the supermarket. I chased them down once for a recipe.  I never bothered again as I didn't see much difference in anything except the cost. 

Edited by Anna N
Typos (log)
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

10 hours ago, gfweb said:

These tomatoes get high ratings, but I'm mystified.  I think that they taste a little odd.

Yeah - they almost taste...fire roasted?

I hate that there are pieces of skin left in. That's what tastes odd!!

Edited by weinoo (log)

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

18 minutes ago, weinoo said:

In my experience, pretty much any canned diced tomatoes contain some pieces with skin. Some more than others, but I don't think it's unique to fire roasted tomatoes.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, gfweb said:

These tomatoes get high ratings, but I'm mystified.  I think that they taste a little odd.

I always assumed I was the only person who didn't like Muir Glen tomatoes, since so many recipes seem to specify them. I can't swear I've tried their fire-roasted ones, but I know I've had a couple of different kinds. I guess I'm used to various Italian brands.  

• Like 4

10 hours ago, JAZ said:

In my experience, pretty much any canned diced tomatoes contain some pieces with skin. Some more than others, but I don't think it's unique to fire roasted tomatoes.

They're just not noticeable big, black, burnt fire-roasted pieces of skin.

I'm pretty skin-averse when it comes to canned tomatoes; generally why I use whole tomatoes - easier to remove any stuck-on skins.

• Like 2

Tasty Travails - My Blog

13 hours ago, weinoo said:

I don't taste fire-roasting notes in Muir Glen.  Just a canned taste.

11 hours ago, Katie Meadow said:

I always assumed I was the only person who didn't like Muir Glen tomatoes, since so many recipes seem to specify them. I can't swear I've tried their fire-roasted ones, but I know I've had a couple of different kinds. I guess I'm used to various Italian brands.  

I think Muir Glen pays their way into recipes sometimes

• Like 5

As an aside vis-a-vis almost all canned tomatoes we can buy, if you know how to read the code on the can bottom, you can usually find ones with the latest harvest date; theoretically meaning they will be the ripest.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Tasty Travails - My Blog

Most Likely I wouldn't  be able to see the code, even if I knew how to interpret it, but I will try that. I  pretty much go for any can of Italian whole plum tomatoes that say DOP; there's not always much choice at any given store. If I don't need a big can I go for the small 14 ounce cans of Mutti cherry tomatoes. They are more acidic, but good. Those are not so easy to find but can be ordered in 6-packs from Amazon. Odd  leftover amounts from the larger 28 oz cans can be frozen with no discernible loss . Eventually they can be added to any big batch of sauce I'm cooking up, so they don't take up freezer space for long.

I used to dice the whole tomatoes or simple squeeze them my hand, but now I've discovered that a stick blender can easily be used to turn them into chunky or smooth or in between. Obvious large pieces of skin I toss, but I don't worry if I miss some.

• Like 2

I needed some for a serious eats recipe a while ago. They are just not a thing at all over this side of the pond. So I just got some regular whole peeled canned tomatoes, drained them of their juice and gave them a good going over with a blowtorch. Just enough to get some darker spots on them. 

I have absolutely no idea how well the recreated the taste of the pre roasted ones, but the butter chicken I made with them was one of my favourite cooks so far this year. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, &roid said:

I needed some for a serious eats recipe a while ago. They are just not a thing at all over this side of the pond. So I just got some regular whole peeled canned tomatoes, drained them of their juice and gave them a good going over with a blowtorch. Just enough to get some darker spots on them. 

I have absolutely no idea how well the recreated the taste of the pre roasted ones, but the butter chicken I made with them was one of my favourite cooks so far this year. 

It (your's) was probably better.

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

Tasty Travails - My Blog