• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

All About Cassoulet

stellabella

55 minutes ago, weinoo said:

The thing about @TdeV's question is this: I don't necessarily consider a cassoulet a braise.

I have never made cassoulet, but I’ve read many recipes, and I am sure that the recommendation was to rest it overnight. A quick Google suggests that I am not misremembering. Definitely not all recipes call for an overnight rest, but I think the majority do. I’ll be interested to hear what others have to say who have a lot more experience making and serving it than I.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

17 minutes ago, Anna N said:

I have never made cassoulet, but I’ve read many recipes, and I am sure that the recommendation was to rest it overnight. A quick Google suggests that I am not misremembering. Definitely not all recipes call for an overnight rest, but I think the majority do. I’ll be interested to hear what others have to say who have a lot more experience making and serving it than I.  

Do you have any of those links, Anna?

I recall that you broke into the top a number of times during the cooking to get the perfect crust. I also remember that by the time it was done cooking - it was very late in the day!

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, TdeV said:

Do you have any of those links, Anna?

No, I just googled and had a glance at the recipes to confirm that my memory was not totally off base.

• Like 1

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

46 minutes ago, Dave the Cook said:

Oh hell, it was our very first eGullet Cook-off: more than you want (including what you need) to know, about Cassoulet.

Oh my God. I just started but it’s such a fun read. Not much has changed. Let’s make cassoulet. OK but I want to put lobster in it. Oh wait, could we make Boeuf Bourguignon  instead? I don’t eat pork what can I use instead? 
Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

My 2004 eG Blog

16 minutes ago, Maison Rustique said:

Cassoulet smells so divine while it is baking all day, how could you ever wait to eat it the next day?!?! And I want the crunchy top while it is fresh out of the oven. 

Right.  Robuchon, Tony, Julia all say to eat the cassoulet right out of the oven - I stopped looking after those 3.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

9 minutes ago, rotuts said:

@Duvel 

now that's OverNight ++++

?****  tasty ****?

Of course I should emphasize that homemade Cassoulet is a different league, blah, blah … but truth to be told this specific brand (which isn’t  the cheapest) makes an excellent  product and I am not ashamed to admit that I have three cans in my cupboard for a quick fix ☺️

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Duvel said:

Of course I should emphasize that homemade Cassoulet is a different league, blah, blah … but truth to be told this specific brand (which isn’t  the cheapest) makes an excellent  product and I am not ashamed to admit that I have three cans in my cupboard for a quick fix ☺️

You are such an iconoclast. 

• Haha 2

My 2004 eG Blog

7 hours ago, Duvel said:

It’s a can !

1B77768C-06A5-4D13-8588-297D6BFCE14B.thumb.jpeg.9658bfda5c9484661257251ca1d67680.jpeg

Does not seem to be available in this country, otherwise I would have liked to try it.

• Like 1

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

8 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

Does not seem to be available in this country, otherwise I would have liked to try it.

This might be decent...https://www.mypanier.com/products/cassoulet-prepared-meal

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Tasty Travails - My Blog

@Duvel 

what array of cassoulet fo you have in your Markets ?

canned or store made ?

you mentioned your selection was not the cheapest 

what are the prices for various items rediy available ?

do some of your more involved butchers make their own

House Version ?

2 minutes ago, rotuts said:

what are the prices for various items rediy available ?

It's sure not that expensive over there...https://monpanierlatin.co.uk/products/raynal-roquelaure-cassoulet-toulousain-cuisine-a-la-graisse-doie-840g

• Like 1

Tasty Travails - My Blog