• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

All About Bourbon Whiskey

On 5/16/2021 at 9:24 PM, gfweb said:

Bourbon is way undervalued, I think.

Lots of varieties. And you don't have to spend a zillion on Pappy, which is nice, but not that nice.

I agree with @Tri2Cook, the less expensive stuff is pretty good.  I like Woodford, Knob Ck, Basil Hayden, Booker's.

BTW, I've found that a glass of Pappy is pretty cheap in Canadian bars.

Please tell me which Canadian Bars are offering Pappy - have car, will travel.

Seriously though, Pappy is the unicorn North of the border, wish I could find a bottle.

Certainly getting into bourbon.  Lately my go-to's have been Eagle Rare and Angel's Envy. 

Very envious of the selection you all have down South!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TicTac said:

If cost is no object, come by Montreal once the province opens up again; there's a world-class cocktail bar here (The Cloakroom) with most of the Buffalo Trace antique collection and Van Winkle ranges (minus the ryes) along with a few even rarer bottles, though they are all priced at aftermarket valuations.

7 hours ago, jmacnaughtan said:

That's the only reason I keep it - to beef up banana flavours in desserts. A bottle generally lasts a long time...

Jack Daniel's Single Barrel Barrel Proof, which had limited releases in Ontario and Quebec last year (and is pretty widely available south of the border), is really quite something; I'm not generally a JD fan, but this bottle won me over.

• Like 1

On 5/17/2021 at 11:20 AM, gfweb said:

NAFTA turned Jack Daniels into bourbon even though its <51% sour mash.

Still tastes like bananas to me

The mashbill is >51 % corn, aged in new oak charred barrels and distilled no higher than 160pf and bottled to at least 80pf so meets the criteria and definition of bourbon.  Bourbon does not need to be made in Kentucky.  They would just be very happy if their product was not lumped into the large playground of bourbon so by calling it Tennessee whisky there is less competition in that market but it meets the definition of bourbon in every way 

• Like 2

On 5/19/2021 at 10:26 PM, J_Ozzy said:

If cost is no object, come by Montreal once the province opens up again; there's a world-class cocktail bar here (The Cloakroom) with most of the Buffalo Trace antique collection and Van Winkle ranges (minus the ryes) along with a few even rarer bottles, though they are all priced at aftermarket valuations.

Jack Daniel's Single Barrel Barrel Proof, which had limited releases in Ontario and Quebec last year (and is pretty widely available south of the border), is really quite something; I'm not generally a JD fan, but this bottle won me over.

JD single barreled bourbon and rye are excellent products.   Even if you are not a JD fan those two products score very well.   I’m not a basic JD fan but those single barreled selections which are a higher proof are very good 

Edited by scubadoo97
Spelling (log)
  • Like 2

14 hours ago, TicTac said:

Seriously though, Pappy is the unicorn North of the border, wish I could find a bottle.

Certainly getting into bourbon.  Lately my go-to's have been Eagle Rare and Angel's Envy. 

Very envious of the selection you all have down South!

We had a bourbon bar by us that covid killed.  Sadly, the couple times I visited I wasn't as interested in bourbon. 

A couple of my local stores offer Pappy (not sure the releases) in the $500 range.  Not happening anytime soon and just crazy to me in general. Plenty of great stuff well under $100.  

I've been meaning to sample ER and Larceny. Both get much praise.  Oddly Eagle sells for much more the MSRP by me so I might wait to find it at a reasonable price. thx 

That wasn't chicken

12 hours ago, J_Ozzy said:

I've heard/read the single barrel shares no similarities w Old #7 and is a seriously crafted release.   I kind of think they should've separated themselves with a different brand name as JD is so synonymous w Old #7.  At $55 and up, not an impulse buy but def want to try it. 

That wasn't chicken

11 hours ago, scubadoo97 said:

The mashbill is >51 % corn, aged in new oak charred barrels and distilled no higher than 160pf and bottled to at least 80pf so meets the criteria and definition of bourbon.  Bourbon does not need to be made in Kentucky.  They would just be very happy if their product was not lumped into the large playground of bourbon so by calling it Tennessee whisky there is less competition in that market but it meets the definition of bourbon in every way 

Right, I think in order for it to be 'TN whiskey' it must first be bourbon. The extra step of sugar maple filtration makes it TN whiskey.  I don't know if that's a required label (legally) or by choice but I agree it seems they wanted to separate from bourbon so consumers knew it was something a little different, sweeter.   

That wasn't chicken

@Eatmywords, you are correct re: Elijah Walker. I mistyped.

@TicTac -- Should you ever wish to road trip on vacation, hie yourself to the Brown Hotel in Louisville. They have a serious bourbon bar. I am not certain if they have Pappy, but would be badly surprised if they did not. Plus they have a fine selection of craft beers aged in bourbon barrels, which is a helluva lot better than it sounds.

@whoever said it -- Re: Bulleit. I have a bottle in the liquor cabinet as we speak. My rye of choice.

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 5/20/2021 at 10:54 AM, Eatmywords said:

We had a bourbon bar by us that covid killed.  Sadly, the couple times I visited I wasn't as interested in bourbon. 

A couple of my local stores offer Pappy (not sure the releases) in the $500 range.  Not happening anytime soon and just crazy to me in general. Plenty of great stuff well under $100.  

I've been meaning to sample ER and Larceny. Both get much praise.  Oddly Eagle sells for much more the MSRP by me so I might wait to find it at a reasonable price. thx 

Good you passed on the Pappy at that price.  It’s good but so is  Weller or Old Weller Antique for a fraction of the price

ER is good but don’t over spend above MSRP.  I hate to see retailers gouge or hide product behind the counter 

Edited by scubadoo97 (log)
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, scubadoo97 said:

Good you passed on the Pappy at that price.  It’s good but so is  Weller or Old Weller Antique for a fraction of the price

ER is good but don’t over spend above MSRP.  I hate to see retailers gouge or hide product behind the counter 

Yep, wild west out there - state to state, store to store, prices can range drastically.  I picked up a George Dickel BiB for $40 in NY.  A couple months later, in Myrtle Beach, I saw it behind a counter for $80.  Doesn't make sense.  

Honestly, even if I did come into big money I'd feel silly dropping big bucks on premium stuff. My palate appreciation to cost is just not there (yet : )

Being that it's summer, I scaled back bourbon and enjoying more tequila and rum.  Was recently gifted a craft bottle of mezcal - Ray Campero Jabali - distilled in clay pots and 97pr. Unlike any mezcal I've tasted.  Earthy, caramel, lime, funk, velvety. Just amazing.  Not cheap (~$100) or easy to find.  A recent rum I'm enjoying is El Dorado 12yr. The nose has bourbon notes, like a Basil Hayden but with pronounced coffee and vanilla flavors.  Also enjoying it very much as a sipper (only 80pr : ) and a nice price at under $30.   

• Like 3

That wasn't chicken

• 2 years later...