• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cheesesteaks Off The Radar

Rich Pawlak

I'm working on something and I need some input from the cheesesteak trenches.

We've heard far too much about the Barclay Prime $100 "cheesesteak", and we probably all share roughly the same list of the best cheesesteak places, namely Pat's, Geno's, Jim's, Tony Luke's, Steve's Prince of Steaks, Chink's, Abners,, John's Roast Pork, Frusco's, etc.

What I am looking for are the places that serve a great cheessesteak in perhaps an unlikely setting: bar, pizzeria, deli, restaurant, etc.

I'm looking within the greater Philadelphia area, too, if that helps you to wrack your brain. Places like the Grey Lodge Pub, and Johhny's Hots, which has just begun serving a terrific version of the cheesesteak, have already come to mind.

What other places would make your discriminating list? I'm looking for the very very best.

Rich Pawlak

Reporter, The Trentonian

Feature Writer, INSIDE Magazine
Food Writer At Large

MY BLOG: THE OMNIVORE

"In Cerveza et Pizza Veritas"

Antonella's makes very good steaks & pork sandwiches

841 Conestoga Rd

Rosemont, PA 19010

(610) 526-1966

Colonial Kitchen makes the best chicken cheesesteaks - bar none

(great strombolis, too))

103 N Union Ave

Lansdowne, PA

(610) 284-7811 or 7812

Near West Chester try the Pepper Mill

Rte 352 & Paoli Pike

East Goshen, PA

(610) 692-0100

Oscar's on Sansom  St. and Philadium on Packer Ave.

best part about oscars is you buy one, you get 1/2 free. one and 1/2 for the price of one! can't beat that deal.

I can vaguely recall eating an Oscars steak once, dont remember if it was that good. Is it that good? please see above initial post for what I'm actually seeking help with.

Rich Pawlak

Reporter, The Trentonian

Food Writer At Large

Does H.T. McNally's Schmitter qualify.  It does in my gullet.

How about off-the-beaten-path cheesesteaks such as Chink's or Silvio's in Hatboro?

See above initial post; i'm looking for great cheessesteaks in unlikely venues.

Schmitter? You betcha!!!

Rich Pawlak

Reporter, The Trentonian

Food Writer At Large

Oscar's on Sansom  St. and Philadium on Packer Ave.

best part about oscars is you buy one, you get 1/2 free. one and 1/2 for the price of one! can't beat that deal.

I can vaguely recall eating an Oscars steak once, dont remember if it was that good. Is it that good? please see above initial post for what I'm actually seeking help with.

no. it's just the deal that makes it interesting. oscar's has average bar food at best--i just can't let a mention go by without mentioning the deal.

Edited by mrbigjas (log)

out here in the desolate wasteland known as chester county, IMHO, the BEST cheesesteaks around are at Jack's Pizza & Pasta (the original one in Frazer). they're big, meaty, just enough grease and they use a great roll (not positive, but i think they might bake them there). i like their chicken cheesesteaks, too, with provolone, sauce & shrooms. yummm.

one day when you or your wife are doing business out in the burbs, stop by. they're on rt 30 west, next to the wawa (rt 30 & planebrook road).

i'll second the pepper mill in WC, too. when i worked in WC, we used to eat there a lot, but it's a little off the beaten path to get to easily from where i am now.

"The perfect lover is one who turns into pizza at 4am."

Charles Pierce

Doesn't Shank & Evelyn's do a cheesesteak along with their amazing cutlet sandwiches? I think of that place as a luncheonette, not a cheesesteak joint so it might be worth checking out.

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

A good example would be Donkey's Place on Haddon Ave. in Camden. Little dive bar serving a great cheesesteak on a poppy kaiser roll. Lots of meat, very good!

true, but Donkey's HAs gotten a lot of coverage of late in both the Inky and Daily News; what I am looking for are really good cheesesteaks in unlikely venues, namely restaurants, bars and maybe pizzerias, e.g., places that arentt cheesesteak/hoagie shops.

Rich Pawlak

Reporter, The Trentonian

Food Writer At Large

Doesn't Shank & Evelyn's do a cheesesteak along with their amazing cutlet sandwiches?  I think of that place as a luncheonette, not a cheesesteak joint so it might be worth checking out.

I have no idea; every time I visit S&E's I cant pass up the roast beef combo or chicken cutlet with greens, or breakfast giambotta omelet.

Rich Pawlak

Reporter, The Trentonian

Food Writer At Large

A good example would be Donkey's Place on Haddon Ave. in Camden. Little dive bar serving a great cheesesteak on a poppy kaiser roll. Lots of meat, very good!

true, but Donkey's HAs gotten a lot of coverage of late in both the Inky and Daily News; what I am looking for are really good cheesesteaks in unlikely venues, namely restaurants, bars and maybe pizzerias, e.g., places that arentt cheesesteak/hoagie shops.

the cheesesteak served at rodriguez grocery, on 5th at poplar, is perfection.

soft roll, tenderly fried onions, divinely melted cheese ( not whiz ) .. i would recommend getting double meat, as the single becomes overwhelmed by the roll.

my mouth is watering as i type.

their salt 'n pepper fries are good, too .. but they're served in styrofoam, which i think over-steams them, so i'd dig in straight away.

Edited by phillyjawn (log)

bed 'n breakfast

... a bed and breakfast

Doesn't Shank & Evelyn's do a cheesesteak along with their amazing cutlet sandwiches?  I think of that place as a luncheonette, not a cheesesteak joint so it might be worth checking out.

Shank & Evelyn's DOES have a great cheesesteak, but it's SO hard to pass up the egplant parm sandwich. Good thing i over-order :smile: for the trip back to D.C.

Thanks,

Kevin

DarkSide Member #005-03-07-06

Shank & Evelyn's DOES have a great cheesesteak, but it's SO hard to pass up the egplant parm sandwich. Good thing i over-order :smile: for the trip back to D.C.

Thanks,

Kevin

Which was for the ride home?

How did it hold up?

Herb aka "herbacidal"

Tom is not my friend.

i don't know the exact address, but there's a pizza place on haverfield rd/ave in bryn mawr, a little down from the intersection with Bryn Mawr Ave (maybe) there's a wawa on the corner and it's at the point where lancaster ave is a block away from haverfield rd/ave, anyway, a block or two down in the direction of Philly, across from a building that has Kaplan Prep Center, is the place :blink:

i know, these are not the best directions.

anyway, i think it has the best cheesesteak in philly - a fresh italian roll, chewy but not overwhelming the moist meat well mixed with the perfect amount of cheese...and, it's consistently good (well, i've not been there in about a year, but before that, i'd go often). If anyone actually recognizes its location from my directions, i highly suggest a visit.

Thanks,

Kevin

Which was for the ride home? How did it hold up?

I've brought both home, but the cheesesteak is better reheated in the oven. The microwave is just okay for the cheesesteak, but the eggplant fails in the microwave.

Of course I've also eaten the second sandwich before I even got to Baltimore. :smile:

Thanks,

Kevin

DarkSide Member #005-03-07-06

The Cheesesteak Italian from Dakota Pizza Company in Wynnewood is my local favorite.

gallery_8050_1946_25443.jpg

They're in the shopping center just west of Sang Kee Asian Bistro on Lancaster Avenue.

I also get steaks from Mama's Pizzeria on Belmont Avenue in Bala-Cynwyd, but they're on the radar.

As a public service, I'll check out that place a couple-a posts upthread. Originally, I thought it was Pacilio's Pizza on Glenbrook Ave., but that's directly south of the hospital near the Wawa.

Charlie, the Main Line Mummer

We must eat; we should eat well.

i don't know the exact address, but there's a pizza place on haverfield rd/ave in bryn mawr, a little down from the intersection with Bryn Mawr Ave (maybe) there's a wawa on the corner and it's at the point where lancaster ave is a block away from haverfield rd/ave, anyway, a block or two down in the direction of Philly, across from a building that has Kaplan Prep Center, is the place  :blink: 

i know, these are not the best directions.

anyway, i think it has the best cheesesteak in philly - a fresh italian roll, chewy but not overwhelming the moist meat well mixed with the perfect amount of cheese...and, it's consistently good (well, i've not been there in about a year, but before that, i'd go often).  If anyone actually recognizes its location from my directions, i highly suggest a visit.

Are you talking about Lovecchio's Pizza around the corner from Bryn Mawr Glass?

I belch, therefore, I ate...

Are you talking about Lovecchio's Pizza around the corner from Bryn Mawr Glass?

Maybe, it's really been a while...but if it faces a parking lot of an office buuilding and further down the road is an overpass for the train tracks, and the pizza shop is small, then this may be the one!

from what i remember it was between two other small businesses right off the corner of haverford.