• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

ISO Glass Measuring Cup With Numbers That Don't Wear Off

Shelby

I have two Pyrex liquid measuring cups.  On both most of the measurements have been erased.  I don't use a scrubbie or anything on them....it happened in the dishwasher I guess?  I want to find something that doesn't do that.  I prefer something that is colored, not just raised words and numbers in the glass due to my eyes not seeing well close up anymore.  Yes I need to go to the eye doctor but that's beside the point lol.

Any suggestions?

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, Shelby said:

I have two Pyrex liquid measuring cups.  On both most of the measurements have been erased.  I don't use a scrubbie or anything on them....it happened in the dishwasher I guess?  I want to find something that doesn't do that.  I prefer something that is colored, not just raised words and numbers in the glass due to my eyes not seeing well close up anymore.  Yes I need to go to the eye doctor but that's beside the point lol.

Any suggestions?

It's funny, I have seen people in search of the same thing but my pyrex measuring cups are at least 35 years old and one from my mom is even older but I can still read the red measurements on all of them. I put them in the dishwasher regularly (and we have hard well water.) I wonder if there were different batches made?

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, MaryIsobel said:

It's funny, I have seen people in search of the same thing but my pyrex measuring cups are at least 35 years old and one from my mom is even older but I can still read the red measurements on all of them. I put them in the dishwasher regularly (and we have hard well water.) I wonder if there were different batches made?

Same here. Mine probably range from 20-30 years old.  The big 2 qt one is the youngest, maybe 12-15 years old. I sometimes wash them by hand but they go into the dishwasher regularly, too. 

They all look just fine. 

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, Shelby said:

I dropped my last one and it shattered ...I think during a blog here a few years ago.  I had no problems with that one.  I replaced and they suck.

Sounds like they don’t make ‘em like they used to! 😢

Edited by blue_dolphin (log)
  • Like 2
  • Sad 1

OK, here's what I wish:

Somebody make a borosilicate glass breaker in 2-3 sizes that nest, have several measuring scales, and with the markings cast or layered into the glass.

I LOVE the IMSA breaker, but it's plastic--it cracks and crazes.  I like Catamount glass, but make one that's useful for different measures and with permanent markings.

I would gladly pay triple.  This is not like putting settlers on Mars...

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Laurentius said:

OK, here's what I wish:

Somebody make a borosilicate glass breaker in 2-3 sizes that nest, have several measuring scales, and with the markings cast or layered into the glass.

I’m confused. I've never heard of anyone using a beaker to measure volume. Yes, laboratory beakers usually have rough volume markings on them but they’re not accurate for measuring anything. 
Of course, the markings on most kitchen measuring cups are pretty rough estimates, too.  Just weigh it out.

• Like 1

as us old geezers say . . . they don't make stuff like they used to . . .

our old glass (original company) Pyrex never wore off.  markings on all the new stuff, glass and plastic, are gone in about a year.

bought this glass one - but notice there is no color to the markings, and yes . . . it's a pain to use.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B088M19RDY/

11 hours ago, blue_dolphin said:

I’m confused. I've never heard of anyone using a beaker to measure volume.

Now you have.  The Perfect Breaker takes it shape from labware, and famoulsy from the glass beakers once used for measuring photo development chemicals.

I met the inventor one time, who explained in great detail how he commissioned the markings from a university professor of measures and standards.  It is quite accurate with liquids and solids.  As I've said, my only real issue is why it's plastic, and so will not hold up to hot liquids.

https://www.amazon.com/Emsa-Perfect-Beaker-with-Seal/dp/B001BDLWE8?th=1

Edited by Laurentius
typos (log)
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, blue_dolphin said:

I’m confused. I've never heard of anyone using a beaker to measure volume. Yes, laboratory beakers usually have rough volume markings on them but they’re not accurate for measuring anything. 
Of course, the markings on most kitchen measuring cups are pretty rough estimates, too.  Just weigh it out.

I've been very happy with this graduated beaker for kitchen measurements: International Measuring Beaker (eG-friendly Amazon.com link) and its ilk -- other manufacturers of the same idea. AFAIK they're as accurate as any other kitchen measuring tool. Problem is, it's plastic. I don't recall seeing one made of borosilicate glass.

@Shelby, you might have the best luck haunting eBay for the older Pyrex. That isn't a very satisfying answer, but we know that the glass formula changed from borosilicate to soda lime glass. The paint markings may also have been affected then. I've been reading that the French-made stuff is labeled PYREX (all upper case) so if you spot that, you've got the French borosilicate. According to one Amazon review, the French stuff can't ben shipped directly from the factory to a USA address, so it's only available here from resellers. Here's a site that sells the French stuff. Be prepared for sticker shock!

Again...I don't know whether the paint quality tracked the switch from borosilicate to soda lime.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

Just now, Laurentius said:

Now you have.  The Perfect Breaker takes it shape from labware, and famoulsy from the glass beakers once used for measuring photo development chemicals.

I met the inventor one time, who explained in great detail how he commissioned the markings from a university professor of measures and standards.  It is quite accurate with liquids and solids.  As I've said, my only real issue wiyh it is it's [lastic, and so will not hold up to hot liquids.

Yep. That's what I have, and what I was looking for in my post above. I wrecked one with too-hot liquid and learned my lesson, but my two replacements have held up well with some TLC. 

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

25 minutes ago, Laurentius said:

I met the inventor one time, who explained in great detail how he commissioned the markings from a university professor of measures and standards.  It is quite accurate with liquids and solids.  As I've said, my only real issue is why it's plastic, and so will not hold up to hot liquids.

Edited 10 minutes ago by Laurentius
typos (log)

Funny, based on your first post, I searched for "IMSA Breaker" and "IMSA Beaker" but came up empty and yet, I actually have one of those things (purchased years ago on a recommendation from @Smithy!  

As I said, I'm more of a weigher so I haven't had much use for it...but today I learned that it's called a Perfect Beaker!

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, rotuts said:

I just want a glass liquid measuring cup that the measurements don't wear off.  Thank you I'll peruse these tomorrow!!

19 minutes ago, lemniscate said:

I can attest to durability of the Cambro polycarbonate (eG-friendly Amazon.com link) cups for hot and cold use.  

I have 1 qt/liter (eG-friendly Amazon.com link) and 4 qt/liter (eG-friendly Amazon.com link) versions of those Cambros and agree on the durability.  I use the big one a lot for straining hot stock and it's held up fine. 

The lettering wore off a couple newer Pyrex for me too, so you’re not alone.    Less high brow than other suggestions, but pampered chef makes measuring cups with raised glass measurements, iirc.   We have a couple and I can read them fine (I also have failing eyesight)

• Thanks 1

@Shelby, I have the Anchor Hocking measuring cup set (eG-friendly Amazon.com link) that @rotutsmentioned up above. 

(Correction: See below. Mine are actually Anchor Hocking Fire-King)

I've had them for years and I really like them. They are glass but they nest/stack together really well so they are fairly space-saving. I put them through the dishwasher all the time and the numbers/markings haven't faded at all.  

Edited to add: 

Mine are Anchor Hocking Fire-King. Not all say "Fire-King" on them and I think they may be better made than the plain Anchor Hocking ones. 

Here are the ones I have (eG-friendly Amazon.com link)

On the Amazon Canada site, one woman said:

"Love these measuring cups! 

This is my third set of Anchor measuring cups. I only need to replace them every 20 years or so because the measuring lines eventually fade from being washed in the dishwasher." 

Edited again to add:  Not sure why the individual ones are so pricey on Amazon USA. I can buy that set at the local Canadian Tire store for $20. So, if you are interested in them, I would suggest shopping around. Or check out the Amazon site more carefully than I did, ha. 

Edited by FauxPas (log)