• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

eG Foodblog: Abra - Walla Walla Wash and Orcas Island too!

Abra

Abra: I love your blog. The quesadillas look especially good!

Regarding the "lamb shank" photo--I had dinner at a top restaurant a few months ago and even though I was wearing my nicest dress, I sucked the marrow out of the bone. :shock: (I did take a discreet look around the room to make sure no one was looking in my general direction before I did that, but how can I leave all that unctuous marrow behind?) :laugh:

Hey Michelle, it is not too late to change presentation ideas! I'm now thinking about this phyllo format, using my original filling, which is similar but also included turnips and rutabagas, instead of the galette shape. Thanks for the idea!

Jack, I love the sound of your risotto, but I hesitated over serving ravioli and risotto in the same meal, and a bit over cauliflower with a lot of oak. Am I wrong? Can you tell me how you make it?

I'm not really even supposed to be up yet, but my mind is racing with all the things I have to do this morning, so I just dropped by for inspiration.

You are heavy on carbs anyway, which is why I suggested ROAST cauliflower (see the thread). Basically slice the cauli into thin slices, then roast with lots of EVOO, salt and pepper, amybe a ittle red onion until brown and crispy. Stir into a normal risotto, topping with a few of the more decorative brain-like pieces.

I'm not sure that just veg is enough for a course on its own. If you want to be indulgent I loved the sound of Pomme Frite with truffle oil mentioned here; http://forums.egullet.org/index.php?showtopic=78102

Following the envelope theme something en papillotte maybe? Or maybe bound with an egg like a frittata or a savoury custard? Or if you can manage deep frying a beignette, with a dipping sauce?

Sorry to be so absent this morning, but I'm in a frenzy of packing to go. No good morning picture, because, well, it looks just like yesterday, only more so. I'm behind on answering questions too, I know.

One key one that I've let slide for far, far too long is: how do I pronounce my name? Sure it's like abracadabra, only the way I say it, it's ahbracadahbra. Don't you say it that way too? Why not??? Usually I tell people to pronounce it like candelabra, because that's the easiest way to remember. And yes, it's my first name. It comes from East of Eden, and as far as I know, John Steinbeck made it up. When I joined eG I came from another food community where people all used their real names. Now that I see all of the cool screen names you guys have, I'm totally jealous, but it seems weird to change at this late date. Hmmm, I wonder what I'd choose. Anyone want to give me a new name?

And yes, Riley crosses his paws like that all on his own. I've never seen a dog do that, and I find it endlessly endearing. Do any of you have paw-crossing dogs? Riley can't be the only taste-testing paw-crossing dog, can he?

On the taste front, I love and adore the canonical eG roasted cauliflower, and have never considered including it in a risotto. Yum! And absolutely to orange zest in the Lillet. Double yum!

I've decided to steep a little of my speculaas spices in the cream for the panna cotta, and also include a tablespoon or so of the vin de noix. The flavors were awesome together the other night. Then I'll plate it in a little vin de noix puddle. It needs some sort of garnish - any suggestions? I think I'll do it in my silicone pyramid pan.

And today might be a first in eGullet history. There's a wireless network on the ferry, and if all goes well, my next post will be from the boat itself. I'm not too sure how easy it will be to post during the day today, but I will whenever I can. And I'll be taking lots of pictures. If you've never seen the beautiful San Juan Islands, you're in for a real treat.

Gotta run, all aboard!

One key one that I've let slide for far, far too long is: how do I pronounce my name?  Sure it's like abracadabra, only the way I say it, it's ahbracadahbra.  Don't you say it that way too? 

Yes, exactly like that. I never even considered an alternate pronunciation.

Can you pee in the ocean?

Abra,

Many thanks, not just for the terrific food shots and cooking, but also for demonstrating how much the topography and climate of inland Washington differ from the coast. Sometimes it's difficult for folks who haven't visited the PNW to visualize that our inland sections are much more arid and that they are agricultural bonanza belts. I'm sure your pictures of Orcas Island will further demonstrate the contrasts.

Looking forward to dinner . . .

Your neighbour,

Jamie

from the thinly veneered desk of:

Jamie Maw

Food Editor

Vancouver magazine

www.vancouvermagazine.com

Foodblog: In the Belly of the Feast - Eating BC

"Profumo profondo della mia carne"

Tonight was dinner at Madoka, which calls itself a Pan-Pacific restaurant.  I was actually prepared not to like it, because it replaced an old favorite of ours that we really miss.  But the food was, in fact, exceptionally delicious.  Well-conceived, deftly executed, thoughtful and creative food.  A bit too expensive for regular dining, but good for special dinners.  I didn't want to use a flash in the restaurant, so forgive the light in these pictures.

Does this happen to be the place where the chef from Axis went - Alvin Binuya (previously at Ponti)?

Ah, yes:

link to website

Don't miss having dessert if you go!

Yes, Abra, there are other paw crossing dogs. Teddy, the older of our two golden retrievers, also does it.

I don't post much these days, but I must tell you how fantastic your blog has been. I admire everything about you and your adventurous cooking, exciting presentation, wonderful photography skills, and the energy you put into doing all of this. Not to mention that I'd love to dognap Riley. He's adorable.

Thanks for all the work you're doing for us.

Edited by patti (log)

Dear Food: I hate myself for loving you.

Don't worry Abra, it's not just you, my cooking group's garage always looks like that after any event too (and worse!)

Good luck with the dinner!

Do you suffer from Acute Culinary Syndrome? Maybe it's time to get help...

Abra: THANK YOU!!!! for this vicarious experience of a beautiful part of the world and gorgeous food; the array of chocolate desserts is so befitting as a soaring climax that I would like to compliment you and Soba on the canny cinematic unfolding of the week from the opening sequence that serves as an establishing shot to the true beginning of the drama set at quiet dawn, and so forth. I look forward to your choices for a finale after the wonderful spread on page 7.

Since the memory of my aging, beloved Mac is low, attempts to view all the images on a single page of this blog have failed. It's as if I am seated behind the tall guy who keeps leaning over to speak to his wife in the theater. However, you and bleudauvergne both provide strong incentives to consider an upgrade.

As for the glimpse of the basset hound, I wonder if Jackal10 was at all influenced by Robert Parker when he brought him into his household.

If you've never seen the documentary, Mondovino, I urge you to rent the DVD given all the references to the crossing paws of the dogs of foodies and chefs alike. It requires patience, but it is a fascinating overview of the wine scene. The filmmaker uses the dogs of all the critics, vineyards, distributors and consultants as an amusing leitmotif.

Second edit: Acknowledgements for content's appeal and orchestration revised for accuracy. Thanks for help!

Edited by Pontormo (log)

"Viciousness in the kitchen.

The potatoes hiss." --Sylvia Plath

This is a second try at posting, Abra. The last one obviously didn't make it.

Thank you so much for showing me the difference between treacle and molasses. there is a sticky pudding I want to make that calls for treacle. I now know that molasses will not be an adequate substitute.

Your menu for Orcas Island sounds excellent. How did the cabernet go with the vegetable course?

I can't tell you how much I have enjoyed your blog. It has everything: great food, travel, excellent photography, and best of all, a bit of exposure to the life you live with Shel and your endearing animals. Thank you so much for taking the trouble.

And yes, Riley crosses his paws like that all on his own.  I've never seen a dog do that, and I find it endlessly endearing.  Do any of you have paw-crossing dogs?  Riley can't be the only taste-testing paw-crossing dog, can he?

My dog Gromit (jack russel terrier) crosses her paws all the time! Must be a PNW thing.

Yay! San Juans!!

A.

This is a test of the Washington State Ferry Wireless Networking System. Do you read me? Woohoo, I'm posting from the ferry setting sail from Bainbridge's Eagle Harbor, headed for Seattle. If all goes well, over the next half hour I'll even post some pictures from here. Kep your paws crossed!

And hey, don't mistake SobaAddict70s pictures for mine - I can only dream of those pastries!

Ok, this is the ferry I'm on. It holds about 2500 people and 220 cars. On the Bainbridge side you can't really get a good view of the boat from the dock, but believe me, I'm there. It sails about every 50 minutes, one from Bainbrige, one from Seattle, and the trip takes 35 minutes. It runs about 21/7.

gallery_16307_212_39278.jpg

Before getting on the ferry I ran into this little pasta shop to get some Pea, Leek, and Parmesan ravioli to take up to Orcas. THe dinner isn't until Sunday and my blog will be finished, but I'll post the pictures somewhere for you all on Monday.

gallery_16307_212_80820.jpg

We're coming into Seattle, so that's all for now. It'll take us several hours to get up to Orcas, and I might not be able to post tonight, depending on connectivity when we get ther. But I'll be back as soon as possible with some beautiful shots of the islands, and food along the way.

History has now been made!

And yes, Riley crosses his paws like that all on his own.  I've never seen a dog do that, and I find it endlessly endearing.  Do any of you have paw-crossing dogs?  Riley can't be the only taste-testing paw-crossing dog, can he?

My dog Gromit (jack russel terrier) crosses her paws all the time! Must be a PNW thing.

Yay! San Juans!!

A.

Nope. Our Charlie Brown, may she rest in peace, used to cross her paws and laugh. Hmm. She was born in Oregon and moved to California at 3 or 4 months old, so that could still be attributed to a PNW thing. Lucy (not named after the Peanuts character), on the other hand, lived her entire life in Minnesota and was a charming paw-crosser. Both were border collie/Aussie/fence jumper mutts.

Abra. I knew I should recognize that name. East of Eden is one of my favorite books.

Abra, this blog has been beautiful. I'm sorry I've missed out on the last couple of days, and am likely to miss out on the finish. I want to say now, I've learned more this week about pairing wines with food, and about wines and spirits that I want to try, than I'd have dreamed possible. Thanks for showing us your tool kit!

When you get back to Mario's book, make sure you try the Game Hen with Pomegranate. I took a couple of short cuts with that one and it was still wonderful. I used a full-sized chicken, and failed to do any advance marinading. As good as that chicken turned out, I have to wonder what would have been gained by taking the extra steps. Some day I'll try it and see.

Edited to add:

I love what Scandanavians do with Christmas. Thank you so much for the tour! Betty Boop done Norwegian-style was new to me.

and:

I've never been in a Central Market before, but now that you've shown one, I should be glad we don't have one nearby. Not only would my odd-food collection in the cupboard grow exponentially, but my dish fetish would reach terminal proportions. It's bad enough already, without those gorgeous little dishes you showed.

Edited by Smithy (log)

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

Lutefisk? I heard stories about lutefisk.  :unsure:

Riley looks so good. It's nice to see a dog for a change.

It seems to be a hard-acquired taste. Even though I live in lutefisk country, I haven't managed to like it.

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

The roasted root vegetable tart is eluding me, even with Gini's helpful ideas.  I might need to reboot on that one.  Maybe it's not a tart, maybe it's just a heap of vegetables.  Seems kind of underwhelming for a $100 bottle of wine, a big pile of vegetables.

I might be too late on this, but I made a savoury vegetable crisp once that was a huge hit. It's richer than just a pile of vegetables, and the topping adds a nice bit of textural contrast. With really good parmesan, it's divine.

I love this blog, too, especially all the food pictures--you make me want to move out there so I can hire you as a personal chef!

Riley looks like such a gentle dog--what a sweetie! I must admit my bias, though. I could use a few more cat pictures. I can't believe Perkiins (Perkins?) didn't get any skate! You must have a resolve of steel--I'd have given in as soon as he sat down!

Okay, off to google Canadian sources for the mini cheesecake pan.

Done, for all my fellow Canucks, I found them online here.

Looks a little smaller than Abra's though.

A tiny bit cheaper, for the same Chicago Metallic pan, at Golda's Kitchen. I'm not affiliated with the site in any way, nor have I ever purchased anything from there, but I like to browse now and again.

Edited to add: the price of the pan is cheaper, but shipping is not! So it works out to about the same, in the end.

Edited by prasantrin (log)

This picture provided my first ever "spit-take" in my office while perusing eGullet. The expression on the faux Mona Lisa's face in the window is a classic. :laugh:

edited to add that I am throughly enjoying your blog, your pictures and the glorious food. Thanks for taking the time to do this.

Edited by Toliver (log)

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver