• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Duck: The Topic

Trishiad

1 hour ago, rotuts said:

@JoNorvelleWalker 

is Mary's duck

from Mary's n CA ?

https://www.marysturkeys.com

Yes, except it was https://www.marysducks.com/

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

4 hours ago, Margaret Pilgrim said:

I sent him off with a 3x5 card on which I had drawn a duck head with neck, duck body and duck feet. 

If he had just come back with the feet, neck and head, he would be considered a genius shopper round here.                        

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

1 hour ago, liuzhou said:

If he had just come back with the feet, neck and head, he would be considered a genius shopper round here.                        

I had genuinely expected that to be the culmination of the story.

• Haha 1

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

7 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

Must be hard to stuff a duck into a plastic bag.

Live duck, yes.   These ducks were dead, plucked, eviscerated.    Just torque and cram.    And they have special duck-sized plastic bags.    

You can buy bags of feet in front of many of these shops.   Also chicken's.    Used to be $1 a bag.   Haven't noticed lately.

eGullet member #80.

8 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

Must be hard to stuff a duck into a plastic bag.

Last night I cooked my last leg from Mary's Duck.  This time for nine hours at 72C followed by about five minutes at 250C.  Easier to eat than the other night, still not great.  And for some reason the flavor was not as good.

Today I ordered chicken thighs.

Amazon did not have the chicken thighs either.

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

I find the flavor of a Muscovy, Moulard (a cross between the Muscovy and Pekin), or Rouen duck to be better than that of a Pekin. (These 4 varieties are essentially what is available commercially).

I dry brine leg/thighs overnight and either do them in the CSO...

1552077991_Duck2016_05_08.thumb.JPG.cb6c8fb27e0694c59ae1f4d173f4d7af.JPG

Or the real oven...

1464104530_Duckconfitprep2019-12-21.thumb.JPG.c6da66f67d98ab081b78b40293c8e3c6.JPG

7982481_Duckconfitcooking.thumb.JPG.bc9fd7cfb5a21bc6465d414f43ae9b7c.JPG

No problems with tenderness or flavor in either of these cases. Generally I use duck legs from Hudson Valley.

David Lebovitz faux confit...https://www.npr.org/sections/thesalt/2015/08/02/428134024/counterfeit-duck-confit-all-of-the-flavor-without-the-labor

When I confit, it's via sous vide.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

• 8 months later...

I am a confident duck cooker but currently hampered by kitchen issues. No oven or stove top sear ability due to evil stepmother still here causing misery. All I have is small toaster oven, crockpot and ding ding ding electric fry pan. I unearthed from garage, So I have the duck defrosting (legs) and am thinking the electric ancient thing to sear and then braise. Thoughts? I'll report back. Flavorings simple- lemon slices,  rosemary, dried persimmon (a gift I have no other plan for to add a sweet note) crushed peppercorns and Dijon mstard with splash of balsamic. (no wine around)  

IMG_1972.jpg

IMG_1973 (1).jpg