• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

What Beers Did You Drink Today? Or Yesterday? (Part 1)

Susan in FL

On a recent trip to West Palm FL I had two "Presidente"s at a Cuban place. Its brewed in the Dominican Republic. Good beer. Back here on the border Bohemia or Negra Modelo. No Light for me. I can add my own water.

Hi Susan,

Regards,

Jmahl

The Philip Mahl Community teaching kitchen is now open. Check it out. "Philip Mahl Memorial Kitchen" on Facebook. Website coming soon.

In Houston, TX Monday night I had a couple of Shiner Bocks at Pappas Seafood House so when I got home to Minnesota I found Shiner Bock in our local liquor store. So, I bought a six pack for this weekend along with Schell's Pilsner.

Davydd

It is just an Anglicized Welsh spelling for David to celebrate my English/Welsh ancestry. The Welsh have no "v" in their alphabet or it would be spelled Dafydd.

I must warn you. My passion is the Breaded Pork Tenderloin Sandwich

Now blogging: Pork Tenderloin Sandwich Blog

Tried a lager called Brooklyn Lager, very nice label design, not much of a head but a good taste(not what i call lager though). Local names for beers seem very popular in Nyc and Tokyo; this idea can take off in London

Edited by Bill Poster (log)

Here's a few of the beers we had yesterday. I really, really like all of Bridgeport's stuff but their Supris is especially good- smooth as hell. I'd never had the Shiner bock. Reminded me a bit of wine- I think it would pair well with food. The porter wasn't as sweet as some which I liked. And Guinness was Guinness. Sorry, I'm not too savvy with beer descriptives. :rolleyes:

gallery_17172_3128_1150741.jpg

Shelley: Would you like some pie?

Gordon: MASSIVE, MASSIVE QUANTITIES AND A GLASS OF WATER, SWEETHEART. MY SOCKS ARE ON FIRE.

Twin Peaks

Last night I had my last Rolling Rock (unless I see some on sale this weekend). I'm concerned because A-B just bought the brand and allegedly bought the recipe, but I've always seem to find when a big brewery buys a little brewery, what starts coming out in those boutique bottles is the same flavor as everything else in their portfolio. I hope I'm wrong, because I've always enjoyed picking up a "box of Rocks" in the summertime.

But being a holiday weekend and all, I think on the way home I'm going to go looking for that Sam Adams collection, or barring that, maybe some Boulevard from Kansas City. My brother's got me hooked on them.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

“A favorite dish in Kansas is creamed corn on a stick.”

-Jeff Harms, actor, comedian.

>Enjoying every bite, because I don't know any better...

Last night I had my last Rolling Rock (unless I see some on sale this weekend). I'm concerned because A-B just bought the brand and allegedly bought the recipe, but I've always seem to find when a big brewery buys a little brewery, what starts coming out in those boutique bottles is the same flavor as everything else in their portfolio. I hope I'm wrong, because I've always enjoyed picking up a "box of Rocks" in the summertime.

But being a holiday weekend and all, I think on the way home I'm going to go looking for that Sam Adams collection, or barring that, maybe some Boulevard from Kansas City. My brother's got me hooked on them.

We had pizza last night and my wife asked me to bring beer home. I got a six-pack of Rock. I had some of the same thoughts. Will this be the last I drink it? A-B making it just can't be a good thing

I am very fortunate to own a restaurant with a cocktail bar, which means that i have the very difficult responsibility of sampling new product. I have a hard time keeping up sometimes!

With that in mind i Always finish my night with 1 bottle of Caporal Pilsner from Belgium. It is the best pilsner that i have ever tried. Its greatest apeal for me is that it is not trying to hard - it is simply made by people who understand their craft and are able to produce a good beer consistantly. But if any of you are in Australia and feel like sampeling some of the our local gear I have also had in the last couple of days the 'Moo Brew Pale Ale' from tasmania, the 'Gippsland Brewery Natural Blond' (wheat beer) & Gippsland Brewery Black & Tan, a bottle conditioned blend of stout and ale which is fantastic for those who love a full flavored stout, but would like to be able to have a couple without feeling bloated.

I've found myself a new love...

gallery_46495_3212_22574.jpg

:wub:

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

“A favorite dish in Kansas is creamed corn on a stick.”

-Jeff Harms, actor, comedian.

>Enjoying every bite, because I don't know any better...

Tonight I had a new beer, Summit Brewing Co., St. Paul, MN 20th Anniversary Limited Edition ESB. It appeared on the liquor store shelves just this week. All Summit brands are good.

Davydd

It is just an Anglicized Welsh spelling for David to celebrate my English/Welsh ancestry. The Welsh have no "v" in their alphabet or it would be spelled Dafydd.

I must warn you. My passion is the Breaded Pork Tenderloin Sandwich

Now blogging: Pork Tenderloin Sandwich Blog

I love hoppy beers, particularly IPAs and double ones. So I bought two bottles of Full Sail's Sunspot IPA 2006. This orange gold beer attacks the drinker with a sharp citrus peel bitterness that just keeps on coming right through a long finish, a finish characterized by a prickly grapefruit peel taste. Not a good thing.

It pours a pretty glass of beer, with the deep orange gold topped by a thick off-white head. Aroma is subdued but with hints of caramel malt and citrus hops. As Sunspot warms you can taste through the bitterness to note some sweetness and some bitter orange marmalade flavors, but, unlike the bitterness, these are subtle, things you have to look for.

Much as I love hops, this beer brings forth an unpleasant bitterness that doesn't leave me wanting another. The second bottle will languish in the 'fridge just in case this is a beer that needs age to bring out its full potential. I sure hope that's the case, but I'm not optimistic.

my partner and i like to meet up at a local pub on friday afternoons for a few drinks before going shopping for beers and wines for the week. last friday we had Wittekerke Rosé [from my favourite brewery Bavik. one is enough though! better than Nyquil kriek in any case. i much prefer Wittekerke witbier on tap in Antwerpen, a perfect summer thirst wencher.] followed by La Trappe so-called trappist, brewed not so far from my area. not a fan of both La Trappe and Leffe however they are very common draught beers here in southern Netherlands.

I actually had a glass that matched the beer! :raz: The Ropewalk Amber is new for us. I like it alot. It's less hoppy or bitter than I expected from Bridgeport. Not a bad thing. Usually amber beers turn me off with their indecisiveness- hoppy or not, rounded finish or bitter, sweet or sour. Again, I'm just *awful* with describing beer flavors. :hmmm:

Sorry for the blurry..those beers are really good! :raz:

gallery_17172_3128_381977.jpggallery_17172_3128_214551.jpg

Edited by petite tête de chou (log)

Shelley: Would you like some pie?

Gordon: MASSIVE, MASSIVE QUANTITIES AND A GLASS OF WATER, SWEETHEART. MY SOCKS ARE ON FIRE.

Twin Peaks

I received a bottle of North Carolina's Duck Rabbit Scottish Wee Heavy from Ray McCoy and Cornelia Corey when they visited Philly this past week. Pure silk sweetness and rich malt. Delicious.

Rich Pawlak

Reporter, The Trentonian

Feature Writer, INSIDE Magazine
Food Writer At Large

MY BLOG: THE OMNIVORE

"In Cerveza et Pizza Veritas"

My wife and I shared a Stone Double Bastard last night.

We've enjoyed this beer in the past and were psyched about drinking it.

But, we ended up not even being able to finish our glasses.

Seemed too sweet, and had a harsh bitter note that put both of us off.

---

Erik Ellestad

If the ocean was whiskey and I was a duck...

Bernal Heights, SF, CA

My wife and I shared a Stone Double Bastard last night.

We've enjoyed this beer in the past and were psyched about drinking it.

But, we ended up not even being able to finish our glasses.

Seemed too sweet, and had a harsh bitter note that put both of us off.

Have you been to the new location of the brew pub? I can't remember what Double Bastard is, but I :wub: love :wub: Arrogant Bastard!

Life is short; eat the cheese course first.

Last night: Flying Dog's Road Dog, lately my "regular" beer of choice.

Over the weekend: Fat Dog Oatmeal Stout with wonderful chocolately notes and Steelhead Stout, some great coffee flavors.

Miller Lite is the cheap beer in this household -- good for chugging down, icy cold, after coming in from a sweat-inducing hour weeding in the garden or washing the truck. Of late, though, I've determined that rather than add those flavorless empty calories to my waistline on a daily basis I'll skip the nightly cold one with the news, and save my beer calories for the good stuff, mainly on weekends.

Starwind . Fort Lauderdale

--

There are moments when one feels free from one's own identification with human limitations and inadequacies. At such moments one imagines that one stands on some spot of a small planet, gazing in amazement at the cold yet profoundly moving beauty of the eternal, the unfathomable; life and death flow into one, and there is neither evolution nor destiny; only Being.

-- Albert Einstein

Double bastard is Stone's, well, Double Bastard.

10% Alcohol, incredibly hopped and very sweet.

I think this was the 2005 release.

Perhaps, we just weren't in the mood, or the cocktails earlier in the evening had thrown our palates off.

I haven't been down to their brew pub, yet. One of these days...

---

Erik Ellestad

If the ocean was whiskey and I was a duck...

Bernal Heights, SF, CA

Petite tête de chou, I'm not so good at describing beer flavors either, but irregardless I had a great beer talk with the owner of a new beer and wine bar (eight weeks new) at happy hour tonight. It felt so good to find people here in central FL with whom to talk beer like this, and it revived my enthusiasm! I will renew my efforts to write some tasting notes.

But anyway, this place, Abbey, is the best beer bar I've found in Volusia County. It is in DeLand. The web site will have more content soon -- any minute now actually -- and I'll be posting some other topics about the place. Among others, four Dogfish Head beers were on draft. I was by myself and had a half hour drive home, so it was hard to pick just one. I decided to have an Aprihop, since I have a few bottles of it at home that Russ brought back from his trip to DE last week. I got the first pour from the keg, and really enjoyed the freshness. This is a fine beer. They have a package license and sell bottles of beer to go. I bought some and Todd gave me some new ones to try. I will be returning the exchange on another visit. He didn't know Victory or Old Dominion. I didn't know Tommyknocker (CO), Sweet Water (GA), or Czechvar (Czech Republic) and several others. What I brought home with me was Tommyknocker Pick Axe Pale Ale, Sweet Water IPA, the Czechvar Lager, Dogfish Head Raison D'Etre, Dogfish Head Golden Shower Impy Pilsner (a Dogfish Head that is new to me), Avery Samael's Oak-aged Ale, and Thomas Hardy's Ale 2005. I'll post about them as I drink, in the days to come.

Life is short; eat the cheese course first.