• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

"Sweets And The City"

Mooshmouse

Thanks for your kind words Yetty!

Consider the photos as payment in kind for all of your own magnificent photographs of fabulous tropical fruit that I so dearly miss from the Philippines. The rambutan picture in your profile is mouthwateringly delicious!

Back OT, I'll readily admit that I have a penchant for the combination of fruit and dark chocolate. That's why I love the Poached Pears dipped in dark chocolate at Chocolate Arts and why I rank the Concorde Framboise higher on my taste scale than Lorna does.

Edited by Mooshmouse (log)

Joie Alvaro Kent

"I like rice. Rice is great if you're hungry and want 2,000 of something." ~ Mitch Hedberg

Beautiful pictures, Moosh. You should take all the pictures from now on...mine looks so crappy in comparison!  :laugh:

I just wanted to note that Angela ranked the Chocolat-Banane as 2nd best, ahead of the Concorde Framboise.

I thought the Caramel-Chocolat was absolutely divine, and personally, much better than the Concorde-Framboise (though this was great also.) I would give both the Caramel-Chocolat and the Chocolate Ganache cake at Pane from Heaven a 9/10, and maybe the Concorde-Framboise a 7.5/10. Though the raspberry/balsamic flavour was definitely interesting, I usually prefer my chocolate straight up, without the addition of fruits or berries...this is a personal bias.

The luscious creaminess of the chocolate mousse in the Caramel-Chocolat absolutely amazing with the praline crunch!  :wub: (Though if it were up to me, I would take out the raspberry.  :wink: )

Here's my current Top 3:

1. (tie) Chocolate Ganache (Pane from Heaven) and Caramel-Chocolat (Ganache Patisserie)

2. Moelleux Chocolat au Rhum at La Petite France

3. Gingerbread pudding at the Hamilton Street Grill (sorry we don't have a picture of this...maybe Neil could provide one?)

In all honesty, the gingerbread pudding is not pretty enough to deserve a picture, nor does it last long enough on the plate to pose for one.

Cheers

Neil

Neil Wyles

Hamilton Street Grill

www.hamiltonstreetgrill.com

Taking barolo's advice, a group of us took on the arduous task of taste-testing some of the desserts at Ganache Patisserie on Homer Street in Yaletown.  A tough job, to be sure, but we manage to suffer through somehow.

PeppermintTea, Ling, dUbVADER and I taste-tested five desserts between us. 

Wow, good work and great images. I haven't had the Caramel Chocolat yet, so I will have to make up for this lapse. My two favourites so far have been the Opera (obviously I like it more than your tasting panel did - I really like the combination of textures and flavours) and the Concord Framboise.

Cheers,

Anne

Taking barolo's advice, a group of us took on the arduous task of taste-testing some of the desserts at Ganache Patisserie on Homer Street in Yaletown.  A tough job, to be sure, but we manage to suffer through somehow.

PeppermintTea, Ling, dUbVADER and I taste-tested five desserts between us. 

Wow, good work and great images. I haven't had the Caramel Chocolat yet, so I will have to make up for this lapse. My two favourites so far have been the Opera (obviously I like it more than your tasting panel did - I really like the combination of textures and flavours) and the Concord Framboise.

Did any of you by chance try the Truffles that they offer? My wife who's a true chocoholic swears by them. She can't eat the Hershey's, etc. because low grade chocolate gives her a stomach ache. But the ones at Ganache are her favorite and eating them for her is ache free.

Her cravings for these Truffles come on so suddenly that before I know it she is briskly walking out of the house to get some around the corner.

In all honesty, the gingerbread pudding is not pretty enough to deserve a picture, nor does it last long enough on the plate to pose for one.

Cheers

Neil

I have a very pretty picture of the gingerbread pudding creation that Chef Fowke made for my birthday but I was having a few issues uploading it last night. I'll try again when I get home.

**DO not post before having second cup of coffee**

Edited by peppyre (log)

Did any of you by chance try the Truffles that they offer?  My wife who's a true chocoholic swears by them.

Not yet, but our first visit to Ganache certainly wasn't our last! We were so fixated on les patisseries that taste-driving the truffles was relegated to our next visit by default. Which flavours does your wife like best? (Of course, a true chocoholic's answer to that question would simply be "Yes.")

Joie Alvaro Kent

"I like rice. Rice is great if you're hungry and want 2,000 of something." ~ Mitch Hedberg

Although I like desserts I'm definitely not studied enough to recommend one over another. I, like, Ling, prefer when having something chocolate to taste only chocolate so my pick of the Concord Framboise was probably not a good one although I thought the flavours were balanced well. The tiramisu (which my husband is still talking about) was our favourite b/c we both really like anything with coffee flavour. I'm interested in finding out more about the spray technique on the outside of this dessert. I will have to taste these again for more specific comments. I felt I had to rush through these as we only had 20 mins. in the meter.

We talked about Ganache before, but at that time I was looking for a dessert place open after 8 p.m. Forgot to check what their hours are. It also sounds like the chef, Peter Fong (?), has an interesting background.

"One chocolate truffle is more satisfying than a dozen artificially flavored dessert cakes." Darra Goldstein, Gastronomica Journal, Spring 2005 Edition

The tiramisu (which my husband is still talking about) was our favourite b/c we both really like anything with coffee flavour. I'm interested in finding out more about the spray technique on the outside of this dessert. I will have to taste these again for more specific comments. I felt I had to rush through these as we only had 20 mins. in the meter.

Tiramisu is probably one of my fav types of desserts. I'm a true coffee addict so anything with a chocolate, coffee combo does it for me, but I was a bit disapointed in the tiramisu at Ganache Patisserie. I was hard pressed to find anything more than a hint of coffee flavour in the entire cake and I didn't even notice if there was any rum added or not. For me the flavours were much too light, there wasn't that hit robust coffee and rum flavour that makes a tiramisu so good.

But what I did love was the Chocolat-Banane! I thought that this rivaled the Caramel-Chocolat for the best one. It was mouthwatering, and I practically had the whole thing to myself! :wub:

Thanks a bunch Moosh!  I just gained 20lbs just looking at those pictures.  I should at least get the pleasure of eating the dessert that goes along with all the guilt! :unsure:

Tell me about it! I swear that Moosh and Ling are going to turn me into a diabetic if I keep accompanying them on their chocolate cake mission. It wasn't until about 4 hours later that I finally felt the sugar coursing through my blood subside. :blink:

We talked about Ganache before, but at that time I was looking for a dessert place open after 8 p.m. Forgot to check what their hours are.

Open 'til 7:00 pm Tuesday to Saturday and 'til 5:00 pm on Sunday. Closed on Monday.

Cheers,

Anne

Ling - thanks for the chocolate cake post!! And thanks to you, Mooshmouse and the rest for posting pictures and reviews. I'll definitely make a list to take with me next time I'm in Vancouver. I'll have to see if I can recruit some friends for a "girl's night out".

Don't wait for extraordinary opportunities. Seize common occasions and make them great. Orison Swett Marden

Did any of you by chance try the Truffles that they offer?  My wife who's a true chocoholic swears by them.

Not yet, but our first visit to Ganache certainly wasn't our last! We were so fixated on les patisseries that taste-driving the truffles was relegated to our next visit by default. Which flavours does your wife like best? (Of course, a true chocoholic's answer to that question would simply be "Yes.")

She's definetly a purist and goes for the basic dark chocolate truffle.

Oh. My. God.

I've found something better than the Caramel-Chocolat and the Chocolate Ganache cake.

I took pictures, but since I don't know how to upload them, you're all going to have to wait until my bf uploads them tonight. :wink:

edit: Just so I don't disappoint any of you, the dessert is actually quite famous in Vancouver so it isn't exactly a "hidden gem". It's the perfect balance of salty/sweet/crispy/creamy/tart....any guesses? :raz:

Edited by Ling (log)

Hmm...Image Gullet doesn't seem to be working tonight, so here's my pick for best dessert (this quest is far from over, though!) :wink:

Stilton Cheesecake with Rhubarb Compote from Sen5es

I'll try posting the picture tomorrow...but it ain't pretty due to my crappy photography skills.

The taste of stilton was surprisingly mild to me, but it's definitely there to add that delicious hint of saltiness to the cheesecake. The base is described as "almond crumble", though the recipe on Epicurious uses shortbread as a base. The rhubarb compote provided a nice tart/sweet component. I'm in love with this cheesecake :wub::wub::wub:(Rating: 9.5)

You know....I've had that (the cheesecake) and wasn't impressed. I was expecting STILTON! The flavour was far too mild for me. Otherwise it was good, but not as different from regular cheesecake as I had hoped...and I had heard many great things.

One of these days....I will make you my Roquefort Ice Cream with Thyme Poached Pear and Port Reduction....I'll throw in some toasted pecans for crunch!

[/tooting my own horn]

...back to our regular scheduled program of Ling's favourite desserts....with help from many other loyal egulleters....

You know....I've had that (the cheesecake) and wasn't impressed.  I was expecting STILTON!  The flavour was far too mild for me.  Otherwise it was good, but not as different from regular cheesecake as I had hoped...and I had heard many great things.

One of these days....I will make you my Roquefort Ice Cream with Thyme Poached Pear and Port Reduction....I'll throw in some toasted pecans for crunch! 

[/tooting my own horn]

...back to our regular scheduled program of Ling's favourite desserts....with help from many other loyal egulleters....

Yes, the stilton flavour is definitely mild...I was thinking about increasing the amount of stilton when I make it. I think the blue cheese creme brulee at Umami had a stronger blue cheese flavour--and it is green-ish, not absolutely white like the cheesecake at Sen5es. I wasn't expecting it to be very different from the other cheesecakes I've eaten, because I looked at the recipe (or maybe the dumbed down version for us home-bakers) on Epicurious and the proportions are about the same as all the other cheesecakes I make.

I didn't give it a 10, though, because I found the base a little soggy.

That Roquefort ice-cream sounds heavenly--pear and port?!! Wow--I still haven't found a solid "10" yet, and that ice-cream has me drooling already.

I'm also not a fan of the Stilton Cheesecake because I found the flavour lacking. However, I love the rhubarb compote that comes with it and I thought it went very well with the bruleed top of the cheesecake. A thinner but wider cheesecake (more surface area for the caramel) with lots of the rhubarb would work for me. The recipe for the cheesecake is in epicurious.com if you ever have the urge to make it at home.

Speaking of cheese related sweets, I just had two cheese Danish’s at MacKinnon’s Bakery on S. Granville. These little morsels of bliss are amazing. Flakey, a little chewy, just the right amount of icing, and a fantastic cream cheese filling.

I ate them too fast to get pictures.... :raz:

Just had gelato in West Van @ L'arte Di Gelato Di Gianni. I think it is the best gelato I've had in Vancouver. I find Mondo Gelato way too sweet and Casa does not have the right texture.

The chocolate and nut flavors had a nice intensity and that soft almost drooping texture that I remember from Florence. The fruit flavors did not have the intensity that I remember from Italy. But it was nice to have a gelato that was not too rich or too sweet. But it was pricey - 8.50 for a two scoop waffle cone and a single scoop cone.

Not sure if you want to drive across town for it - but was very good. Check it out if you are nearby at Park Royal.

Where else for good ice cream?

Secret confession here - I love Dairy Queen and I really miss the Strawbery Ice Cream Sodas... ahhh - the perfect summertime treat.

Just had gelato in West Van @ L'arte Di Gelato Di Gianni.  I think it is the best gelato I've had in Vancouver.  I find Mondo Gelato way too sweet and Casa does not have the right texture.

Secret confession here - I love Dairy Queen and I really miss the Strawbery Ice Cream Sodas...  ahhh - the perfect summertime treat.

As a big Mondo fan along with your secret confession of Dairy Queen sodas which I also used to love (chocolate ones) you have forced me to make the drive to West Van. I like Mondo a lot, but the texture isn't quite right. Thanks for the tip. BTW, whereabout Park Royal area?

Edited by butter (log)

"One chocolate truffle is more satisfying than a dozen artificially flavored dessert cakes." Darra Goldstein, Gastronomica Journal, Spring 2005 Edition

Has anybody ever tried some of the delectable yummies from Wild Sweets in Richmond? I went to their book launch a year or so ago and some of the desserts they served there were out of this world. They use unusual ingredients and techniques to achieve dessert bliss. Their book is a very interesting read.

Stefan Posthuma

Beer - Chocolate - Cheese