• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

"Sweets And The City"

Mooshmouse

There's a gelato place across the street from Tomato on Cambie, can't remember the name but they have some amazing pistachio.

Sorry to quote myself, but as I was driving by last night I remembered to look at the doorfront. The place is called La Belle Epoque, 3306 Cambie, if you're interested.

I think they might be selling Mario's gelato, no?

"One chocolate truffle is more satisfying than a dozen artificially flavored dessert cakes." Darra Goldstein, Gastronomica Journal, Spring 2005 Edition

Can't remember if their gelato is from Mario's or not, but their crepes are pretty tasty!

Joie Alvaro Kent

"I like rice. Rice is great if you're hungry and want 2,000 of something." ~ Mitch Hedberg

Just the gelato I mentioned earlier Ling. It sounds like you're more of a chocolate girl (sorry, woman) but I really have to push the pistachio. Of course you can always get a 2nd scoop of something else!

I do love chocolate, but I'll try anything that comes highly recommended by another Egulleter. Pistachio it is! :smile:

After lunch at Go Fish, we had to have dessert--so Joie and I just got back from Patisserie LeBeau. We shared the white chocolate almond, the mango, and the apple custard (this thing is HEAVY!) :raz: A formidable feat after fish and chips, but somebody's gotta do it. :laugh:

Joie took pictures, so stay tuned! Our favourite was the mango one that she chose. Love the crunch of the pearl sugar.

How on EARTH do you guys do it!! I had 2 sample pieces and haven't even been able to open up my bag of waffles.

The few bites that I did have were absolutely delectable. I've never had true Belgium waffles and I have to say I may be hooked. That pearl sugar is such a nice contrast.

How on EARTH do you guys do it!!

Three waffles shared between us. Our usual coffees: Lorna's americano and my cappuccino. And then all manner of sweet things at Noah's Easter party... cookies, candy and more cookies. :rolleyes:

Waffle photos up soon.

Joie Alvaro Kent

"I like rice. Rice is great if you're hungry and want 2,000 of something." ~ Mitch Hedberg

:shock:  :shock:  Man, that is some impressive eating girl!!  I had two bites of my waffle and that was all I could handle.  And I thought I had hollow legs?!

:biggrin:  :raz:

Ummm...what kind of cookies?

Chocolate coconut oatmeal cookies that I baked last night.

I think Arne has a plate of them somewhere.... :wink:

Waffle photos from Patisserie LeBeau as promised.

gallery_18820_923_80036.jpg

White Chocolate Almond and Mango Gaufres de Liege

Since Lorna doesn't have a huge predilection for fruity desserts, it surprised me that she liked the mango waffle as much as she did; it was, by far, the hands-down winner. I'm not much of a big white chocolate fan, but I found that the white chocolate tasted quite a bit like icing and ended up being a nice compliment to my creamy cappuccino.

gallery_18820_923_28818.jpg

Apple Custard Filled Belgian Waffle

Not as good as I would have hoped, though it probably would have tasted much better if warmed up. Without the delicate toothy crunch of the pearl sugar, the Belgian waffles just aren't as tasty as the Gaufres de Liege.

gallery_18820_923_4631.jpg

Cappuccino ~ The Elysian Room

Though it isn't dessert, I wanted to post a photo of Alistair's beautiful cappuccino -- the perfect accompaniment to this afternoon's sweet treats. :wub:

Joie Alvaro Kent

I don't mind fruit, I just don't usually like fruit and chocolate together....except for chocolate and banana, or chocolate and pear. Nothing too acidic though, like berries. (And I love nuts and chocolate....not that anyone asked...:blush:)

Those are some beautiful pictures! :wub:

Ummm...what kind of cookies?

Chocolate coconut oatmeal cookies that I baked last night.

I think Arne has a plate of them somewhere.... :wink:

They're sitting in the back of my car, in the parcade of the Pan Pacific ... spot B5. Go ahead punk ... try and take them! :laugh::laugh:

I was going to post my waffle pictures as well, but joie beat me to it. I'll have some in the Blog a little later today.

The Crema Catalan at Amuse Bouche last night was really nice. Light and airy, but still rich. Nice taste of sherry. Hope this stays on the menu!

A.

Edited by Daddy-A (log)

Here's more for the aching sweet teeth in this city...and a followup for the Wine Fest.

This year there were 25 entries in the Quady Dessert Competition - the most ever and a testament to the creative pastry chefs and cooks working quietly in their corners.

Glad to see the photos on this thread, and for all the drooling chocoholics in the room, have a look at the finalists of that competition.

The neatest thing was that it was an all in one competition - students, pastry chefs and cooks did their best. Vancouver is just about to burst with the goodies these guys prepared.

Have a peek...and the winner was...

Fumiko Moreton, Terminal City Club - who'da thought...? Chef David Long did!

quady photos

quady photos - repaired link

I repaired the link ... at least, it wasn't working for me :wacko:

Welcome to eGullet Wendy(? ... just a guess)

Thanks for the pictures! Fumiko's dessert looked good, but that Brownie Pudding from Chris Lee at the Vancouver Golf Club sounds pretty tempting too!

I see Thomas Haas was there as well ... was he a judge or was he teaching a class?

A.

quady photos - repaired link

I repaired the link ... at least, it wasn't working for me  :wacko:

Welcome to eGullet Wendy(? ... just a guess)

Thanks for the pictures!  Fumiko's dessert looked good, but that Brownie Pudding from Chris Lee at the Vancouver Golf Club sounds pretty tempting too!

I see Thomas Haas was there as well ... was he a judge or was he teaching a class?

A.

Thanks, PlanitV, for all the pictures! All of them look great, but I think Fumiko's dessert looked especially beautiful. Wish I was a judge that night! :raz:

Tomorrow we bring you to Notte's Bon Ton, for those of you following the thread. I've already decided on the Diplomat cake--I believe this is one of their signature desserts, and it's apparently very highly regarded on this board! Really looking forward to it...... :wub:

Oh dear, nom de plume blown. Thanks for the repair. I'm just new at this and will have to get a handle on all the little tricks.

Thomas H. was there all right, but as competitor coordinator and didn't judge. He's been a keen supporter for the past few years and it's great to have him in the kitchen assisting with the competitors. He really understands things, keeps things light and professional to boot.

And as for the desserts, I can't tell you how impressed everyone was with the quality. Good stuff.

W.