• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

"Sweets And The City"

Mooshmouse

Just had gelato in West Van @ L'arte Di Gelato Di Gianni.  I think it is the best gelato I've had in Vancouver.  I find Mondo Gelato way too sweet and Casa does not have the right texture.

The chocolate and nut flavors had a nice intensity and that soft almost drooping texture that I remember from Florence.  The fruit flavors did not have the intensity that I remember from Italy.  But it was nice to have a gelato that was not too rich or too sweet.  But it was pricey - 8.50 for a two scoop waffle cone and a single scoop cone.

Not sure if you want to drive across town for it - but was very good.  Check it out if you are nearby at Park Royal. 

Where else for good ice cream? 

Secret confession here - I love Dairy Queen and I really miss the Strawbery Ice Cream Sodas...  ahhh - the perfect summertime treat.

Canuckle, no shame in loving DQ - some things actually lend themselves to mass production. In Germany they sell this wicked product called "eis", which is conceptually similar to drumsticks here, except better ice cream and instead of just chocolate you can get different flavours like lemon, strawberry etc. And of course it's about a million times better than drumsticks. But still mass produced.

There's a gelato place across the street from Tomato on Cambie, can't remember the name but they have some amazing pistachio. The taste is unbelievable. For me the texture is fine too, though I also like Casa (triple berry jalapeno = best flavour ever!) so take my opinion in context. Maybe for me taste overrules texture?

Just had gelato in West Van @ L'arte Di Gelato Di Gianni.  I think it is the best gelato I've had in Vancouver.  I find Mondo Gelato way too sweet and Casa does not have the right texture.

Secret confession here - I love Dairy Queen and I really miss the Strawbery Ice Cream Sodas...  ahhh - the perfect summertime treat.

As a big Mondo fan along with your secret confession of Dairy Queen sodas which I also used to love (chocolate ones) you have forced me to make the drive to West Van. I like Mondo a lot, but the texture isn't quite right. Thanks for the tip. BTW, whereabout Park Royal area?

It is actually west of Park Royal on Marine Drive between 14th and 15th streets. Be forwarned - it is waaay less sweet then mondo - so you may find it a little bland. I like Mondo's but it is so sweet that I can never finish it.

Joie and I went to Trafalgar's today, and we shared the Chocolate Obsession(like a flourless chocolate cake) and the Chocolate Ganache cake. To be honest, I wasn't blown away by either dessert--I think I use better recipes for both cakes. I asked the server what sort of chocolate Trafalgar uses, and she said the baker uses Callebaut. Call me a chocolate snob, but I much prefer the deeper, more complex taste of Valrhona chocolate desserts, even though I use 1/2 Callebaut and 1/2 Valrhona in my home-baking to offset costs.

Joie will post the pictures up shortly, so stay tuned!

Trafalgar's has a delicious-looking St. Honore cake and a few other desserts that looked very tempting (like the Peanut Butter Mousse cake and the Chocolate Hazelnut Zuccotto), so we'll have to re-visit them.

My scoring:

Chocolate Ganache: 6.5/10 (cake was a bit crumbly and light for my tastes)

Chocolate Obsession: 7.5/10 (I prefer an even thicker, darker, and richer tasting flourless chocolate cake)

Edited by Ling (log)

Stilton Cheesecake with Rhubarb Compote from Sen5es

Epicurious uses shortbread as a base. The rhubarb compote provided a nice tart/sweet component. I'm in love with this cheesecake  :wub:  :wub:  :wub:(Rating: 9.5)

Ling...have you seen the version THE VANCOUVER SUN printed?

"This is the recipe for Diva's legendary stilton cheesecake...not as the vaunted GOURMET magazine published it... (we tried that version & it has a number of problems with it,) but as tested last week in the Sun's Kitchen, with the pastry chef Susie Findlay guiding through it."

Edited by jayhay (log)

^I've seen that couple competing in an international pastry competition in France (on FoodTV). I looked at the website...but is the only way to get their product is having it shipped, or do they have a retail location?

I'm pretty sure that the Duby's don't have a retail location. Last time I looked at their website all their prices were in $US which I thought was rather interesting for a Canadian company.

Edited by lemon curd (log)

Support your local farmer

Currently reading:

The Art of Simple Food by Alice Waters

Just finished reading:

The 100-Mile Diet by Alisa Smith & J. B. MacKinnon

As already noted by Ling upthread, we taste-drove two different treats from Sweet Obsession Cakes and Pastries this afternoon. Pastry descriptions are quoted from the website.

gallery_18820_923_62134.jpg

Chocolate Obsession

Rich dense chocolate truffle in a triangle

Best of the two IMHO, yet still not quite rich enough for me.

gallery_18820_923_51174.jpg

Chocolate Ganache Cake

Layers of chocolate Genoise and ganache (a blend of dark and milk chocolate with cream) with a hint of rum

A bit too dry and crumbly for my liking; I guess I've fallen into the trap of measuring every chocolate ganache cake I taste against the one made by Pane From Heaven.

In short, we felt that today's treats were good, not great... and not as photogenic as Ganache Patisserie's desserts from last week. However, as Lorna said, we'll be back for another visit to sample more desserts from their extensive menu. The Bitter Sweet Chocolate Butter Cream looks interesting, as does their Peanut Butter Chocolate Mousse.

To date, I'd rank the Chocolate Ganache Cake by Pane From Heaven first, then the Caramel-Chocolat at Ganache Patisserie second, followed closely by the Moëlleux Chocolat au Rhum at La Petite France in third and the Concorde Framboise at Ganache Patisserie in fourth. (Really, third and fourth place are interchangeable for me.) Bear in mind, though, that our desserting expeditions have primarily focused on rich, dark chocolate desserts as I have a greater penchant for fruit-based desserts than Lorna does.

Joie Alvaro Kent

"I like rice. Rice is great if you're hungry and want 2,000 of something." ~ Mitch Hedberg

Ling, Mooshmouse

Have you guys tried the Swedish Bakery on Arbutus? I can't seem to make there before it closes - but from travelling through Europe a little - I remember the cakes being really good in Scandanavia. The Danes really know how to bake.

I know that they stock a 'Princess Cake' which has marzipan rolled like fondant and then draped over the cake. I happen to really like marzipan - but it seems like alot of Vancouverites don't.

Just wanted to consult with the experts. Also - do you know where I can get a real black forest cake? Chocolate cake frosted with whipped cream and layered with sour cherries. I have a real weakness for them but I cannot find a decent one anymore.

Haven't been to Hälsö Konditori yet, but I did notice it while we were at La Petite France a couple of weeks ago and made a mental note to add it to the desserting list.

Hmmm. Black forest cake in Vancouver. Though I've never tried it, La Baguette et L'Echalotte on Granville Island sells what seems to be a fairly traditional version. There's le Forêt Noire at La Petite France, but it doesn't look like the whipped-cream-laden wonder that you seek. And what about Notte's Bon Ton?

Edited by Mooshmouse (log)

Joie Alvaro Kent

"I like rice. Rice is great if you're hungry and want 2,000 of something." ~ Mitch Hedberg

Taking barolo's advice, a group of us took on the arduous task of taste-testing some of the desserts at Ganache Patisserie on Homer Street in Yaletown.  A tough job, to be sure, but we manage to suffer through somehow.

PeppermintTea, Ling, dUbVADER and I taste-tested five desserts between us.  Following is a list of our preferences from best to merely okay; interestingly enough, we all ranked the desserts in exactly the same order.  Descriptions are taken directly from the Ganache Patisserie website.

gallery_18820_923_9663.jpg

Caramel-Chocolat

Milk chocolate caramel mousse with hazelnut croquant, raspberry gelée, 75% Tanzanie dark chocolate mousse, praline crunch and chocolate biscuit.  Awarded first place by all of us.  Lusciously rich and smooth offset by the praline crunch 'crust'.

gallery_18820_923_26096.jpg

Concorde Framboise

Dark chocolate raspberry mousse, raspberry balsamic gelée, cocoa meringue.  A very close second to the Caramel Chocolat; in fact, had we based our selections on strictly chocolate desserts, this would have been our number one choice.  The raspberry balsamic gelée filling and the delicate morsels of cocoa meringue on the bottom really make this dessert.

gallery_18820_923_21233.jpg

Chocolat-Banane

Dark chocolate mousse, caramelized bananas, praline crunch, hazelnut dacquoise.  Ranked third by all of us except dUbVADER who abstained from tasting this due to his aversion to all things banana.  Lovely rich chocolate flavour; however, we found the banana flavour to be a bit overpowering and would've preferred it as a complimentary taste rather than taking centre stage.

gallery_18820_923_33602.jpg

Opéra à la Noisette

Dark chocolate ganache, coffee buttercream, hazelnut biscuit, praline crunch.  Tasty, yet a bit lacking in depth of chocolate flavour.

gallery_18820_923_16803.jpg

Tiramisu-Chocolat

Tiramisu cream, 70% dark chocolate mousse.  In hindsight, I should've taken a photo of this dessert to show the dark chocolate mousse centre after we had taken a few bites.  Of all the desserts, this was the only one that we felt was just okay.  Not good, not bad, just okay.  We probably would've ranked it higher if the marscapone had a thicker, creamier consistency and the ladyfingers had been more moist (booze, that's it, more booze!).  Personal preferences definitely came into play here as fellow eGulleter butter and her husband, who arrived just as we were finishing our desserts, declared the Tiramisu-Chocolat to be absolutely delicious.

As Ganache Patisserie's menu changes seasonally, we'll definitely be back to taste-test their new desserts!

daaaaamn......that's awe inspiring.. i've been to ganache for chocolate (their truffles are to die for!) but haven't tried their desserts yet.. i'm definately going to asap!

Did any of you by chance try the Truffles that they offer? My wife who's a true chocoholic swears by them. She can't eat the Hershey's, etc. because low grade chocolate gives her a stomach ache. But the ones at Ganache are her favorite and eating them for her is ache free.

Her cravings for these Truffles come on so suddenly that before I know it she is briskly walking out of the house to get some around the corner.

The chocolate and nut flavors had a nice intensity and that soft almost drooping texture that I remember from Florence.  The fruit flavors did not have the intensity that I remember from Italy.  But it was nice to have a gelato that was not too rich or too sweet.  But it was pricey - 8.50 for a two scoop waffle cone and a single scoop cone.

Not sure if you want to drive across town for it - but was very good.  Check it out if you are nearby at Park Royal. 

the best reese's gelato around town has to be at dolce amore on commercial drive... there's been many times when we've driven there after a walk on the seawall for a gelato fix ... hey, the exercise and the gelato cancel each other out don't they?? :raz:

Welcome to the board Dining Diva! I'm not sure if the board is ready for the wild child that I know in person, but I definitely know everyone will get alot out of your posts.

Gotta agree with your recommendation about Dolce Amore on the Drive, hands down IMO, the best Gelato around. The flavor as well as the smoothness has everyone else beat. Not sure how they do it but it's damn good stuff. Plus I really appreciate the size of their large scoops. One scoop in their shop is probably equal to a 2x scoop in other places.

Edited by PaoPao (log)

For restaurants I like bishops for deserts, back in the day when I worked there, they used to get a bit of a dessert crowd at the end of the night. Do not know what is up now though. I have not had the big budget, bit more cash flow now, so I have to go soon!

steve

Cook To Live; Live To Cook

I read about Sweet Revenge on Main Street in another thread...any thoughts on this place? Any desserts that come highly recommended?

This week's desserting (to borrow a word Joie coined) will be at Notte's Bon Ton. (I remember reading that the Diplomat cake is really good there.) :smile:

^PaoPao, I haven't had the truffles yet. Do you know what kind of chocolate they use?

Sorry Ling, I talked to my resident Chocoholic and she didn't know. I told my Boo to find out for you the next time she is there with the Cargo truck loading up for the month.

:smile:

I read about Sweet Revenge on Main Street in another thread...any thoughts on this place? Any desserts that come highly recommended?

This week's desserting (to borrow a word Joie coined) will be at Notte's Bon Ton. (I remember reading that the Diplomat cake is really good there.)  :smile:

Definitive Diplomat.

Yum!

Agenda-free since 1966.

Foodblog: Power, Convection and Lies

This week's desserting (to borrow a word Joie coined) will be at Notte's Bon Ton. (I remember reading that the Diplomat cake is really good there.)  :smile:

What's better are their little petit Fours. A little booze soaked cake, fruit jam, MASS amounts of buttercream. I think I may have to pick some up this week and stick them in freezer.

Mmmmm... petit fours from Notte's Bon Ton. :wub:

At my first job out of university, one of the guys in the office used to bring in a box of petit fours for the office every other week or so. I had to restrain myself from eating everyone else's portion after inhaling mine. :rolleyes:

Joie Alvaro Kent

the best reese's gelato around town has to be at dolce amore on commercial drive... there's been many times when we've driven there after a walk on the seawall for a gelato fix ... hey, the exercise and the gelato cancel each other out don't they?? :raz:

Hey thanks for the heads up on dolce amore - I went when they first opened up and I think that they were still working things out. The gelato was super sweet and texture was very hard. And since you are using up my excercise quota as well - I will feel free drive myself over and re-sample their treats.

There's a gelato place across the street from Tomato on Cambie, can't remember the name but they have some amazing pistachio.

Sorry to quote myself, but as I was driving by last night I remembered to look at the doorfront. The place is called La Belle Epoque, 3306 Cambie, if you're interested.