• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cooking with "All About Braising" by Molly Stevens (Part 1)

Marlene

I braised a pot roast on the weekend from Molly's article in Fine Cooking this month. The pot roast will be tonight's dinner. I'm looking forward to more braising this fall and winter.

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.

Although I'm not ready to begin braising yet (we're still in sweet corn and tomato heaven), I did purchase four copies to give as gifts, and I am marking them up with my notes, many of which were gleaned from this topic.

Susan Fahning aka "snowangel"

Although I'm not ready to begin braising yet (we're still in sweet corn and tomato heaven), I did purchase four copies to give as gifts, and I am marking them up with my notes, many of which were gleaned from this topic.

Now that is a great idea. I gave three copies of the book for Christmas. I should offer to add notes.

I may have to try that pork and apricot recipe when the kids are here. One of my "stocking stuffer" gifts from the kids was a packet of cardomom.

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose

I braised a pot roast on the weekend from Molly's article in Fine Cooking this month. The pot roast will be tonight's dinner.  I'm looking forward to more braising this fall and winter.

How was it? What did you put into the braise besides the pot roast?

It was quite good. We're having leftovers tomorrow as beef dip. I chose to braise in red wine and beef stock. For the aromatics I used, carrots, shallots and celery and I threw in a little chopped garlic, just because I love the smell of it sauteing. :biggrin:

I fried some thick bacon chopped up in the drippings after browning and tossed that into the pot as well.

For the flavourings I grabbed from my garden, parsley, thyme, bay and it might have been oregano. Tied them up in a satchet with a little more garlic.

halfway through I put in some carrots and potatoes. I let it braise very slowly for about 4 hours, then degreased the sauce, and put the whole thing in the fridge until last night for dinner, when I sliced and heated it with some of the sauce and the rest of the sauce I reduced.

It was pretty darn good.

Marlene

I just finished up the pork with apricots and cardamom recipe. I am not usually a fan of fruit in savory dishes but I am beginning to think that this one is a keeper. I only snitched a taste (well . . . a few tastes) but this is really good. It isn't really sweet and the flavors are really complex.

I did have to digress a bit from the recipe. For some reason, I can't seem to find small shoulder roasts anywhere. I have defaulted to "boneless shoulder country ribs" :blink: to do anything other than a honking huge whole butt. I did cook down the braising liquid a bit to make it more like a glaze. For this, I intend to store the pork in the sauce. No reason other than I would like to have the flavors infuse into the pork a bit more. I am not sure that my pork was the best. I think it was a bit lean.

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose

I have defaulted to "boneless shoulder country ribs"  :blink: to do anything other than a honking huge whole butt.

You need to know my butcher. If I call him in advance, he saves the nicest, best fat-cappiest (is that a word?) bone-in country ribs for me. He knows I love them.

A boneless butt has nothing over those bone-in, nicely marbled country ribs. Bones are good.

I just finished up the pork with apricots and cardamom recipe. I am not usually a fan of fruit in savory dishes but I am beginning to think that this one is a keeper. I only snitched a taste (well . . . a few tastes) but this is really good. It isn't really sweet and the flavors are really complex...

Isn't it lovely? I'm not usually a fan of pork and fruit either. I still shiver thinking of a crockpot concoction my dad used to make (sorry dad): pork chops simmered in Dole Fruit Cocktail that was so coyingly sweet my teeth still ache!

I had quite a bit left over though: we had it for dinner one night, lunch the next and I gave some to my inlaws, but still a pound of cooked pork plus sauce was left, so I cubed the meat, buried it in the sauce and and froze it. I'm sure it will be just as good later.

Cheese: milk’s leap toward immortality – C.Fadiman

I have to say that using this pot roast for hot beef dip sandwiches was outstanding. I had sliced the roast earlier and put it in the fridge with the sauce poured over it. I heated the beef and sauce together, turning the slices so they got soaked in the sauce occassionally. Toasted the buns under the broiler first , then layered the heated roast on top. The sauce to this roast is a nicely rich sauce. Not so rich as to be too much, and definately not too salty, which can be all too common with beef dips in restaurants.

Marlene

I have made Molly's Peperonata a number of times - always with great success - until today. In the past I used bell peppers but this week Shepherd red peppers were on special - beware - after all that braising I had an ugly textured peperonata. The skins on these peppers remain pretty much inedible! In desperation I put the mixture through the ricer and will now strain out most of the liquid and use the peperonata as a spread on crostini - just so it is not wasted but I am really upset. You live and learn, I guess. I did a search on these peppers but did not find any useful information. Perhaps I can save someone else from this mistake.

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Anna . . . I am wondering what you mean by Shepherd's peppers. I have found that red bell peppers often have a tougher skin than green ones. It may be because they remain on the bush longer to ripen. But then, I have also run into the same thing with green ones from time to time. You could also roast them a bit under the broiler and peel them. Yes, that is probably too much work. Ever so often I get lucky and find a big bag of red peppers for really cheap since they are about to go off. I cut them in quarters and roast the whole batch close under the broiler and peel them. Then I put them in portions in the freezer.

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

Question. How do blade roasts fare as pot roasts? Bruno's has blade roasts on for $2.99 lb but I hesitated to pick one up in case it's one of those cuts you just can't do anything with.

Marlene

I get confused about "blade roast" as well. It looks just like bone-in chuck to me.

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

Anna . . . I am wondering what you mean by Shepherd's peppers. I have found that red bell peppers often have a tougher skin than green ones. It may be because they remain on the bush longer to ripen. But then, I have also run into the same thing with green ones from time to time. You could also roast them a bit under the broiler and peel them. Yes, that is probably too much work. Ever so often I get lucky and find a big bag of red peppers for really cheap since they are about to go off. I cut them in quarters and roast the whole batch close under the broiler and peel them. Then I put them in portions in the freezer.

These Shepherd peppers have just started to show up here. They are long and thin, more like a very, very large jalapeno. They are sweet, however, not hot.

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

I get confused about "blade roast" as well. It looks just like bone-in chuck to me.

Lets add to the confusion. I'm pretty sure this is boneless. :biggrin:

Marlene

Blade and chuck Click

My 2004 eG Blog

Blade and chuck Click

Marlene,

I often see Blade roasts on sale here and they always say " simmering steak" underneath. I gather that this is a good meat to braise.

I've made a potroast with it about 2 years ago( before getting into egullet) and the person really enjoyed it( we dont eat red meat).

Im definatly going to try one of those loin recipes. They are on sale this week at Independents( 1.99lb)

This is the blade roast I picked up. As you can see, it's boneless. And huge.

gallery_6080_1774_11904.jpg

gallery_6080_1774_36311.jpg

Of course, now I just have to get This :biggrin:

Marlene

. . . . .

Of course, now I just have to get  This :biggrin:

Yes mam! By all means. That is the size and shape that I find most versatile. Way back when I started collecting the stuff that was recommended as my first piece. By golly, the recommendor was right! Can't wait to hear what you do with that hunk-o-cow.

I am thinking I want to do some beef this weekend. Back to the book.

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

I made the Short Ribs Braised in Porter Ale with Maple-Rosemary Glaze for dinner last night, & found it too sweet. Would make it again, but leave off the maple syrup glaze.

Next try will be Herb-Stuffed Leg of Lamb Braised in Red Wine...sounds delicious!

I made the chicken and dumplings last night. I don't care that it ended up being 80 plus degrees, I'm tired of summer food - although I did make fresh tomato soup also. It was enjoyed by all. I used a riesling that was on the sweeter side and it was a good choice. Dessert was the ginger cake from Baking with Julia - also a winner. Leftovers tonight.

jb

I made the Short Ribs Braised in Porter Ale with Maple-Rosemary Glaze for dinner last night, & found it too sweet.  Would make it again, but leave off the maple syrup glaze. 

Next try will be Herb-Stuffed Leg of Lamb Braised in Red Wine...sounds delicious!

I like the Short Ribs dish when I made it but I also found it a bit sweet. I think upping the amount of horseradish should take care of this problem and I'll try it that way next time.

Marlene

I just got this book a week ago, and it looks like lately everyone is trying something new. I did the braised leeks and then made the leek and bacon tart -- it was terrific! I doubled the recipe for leeks, had half left over (obviously) and hubby liked it so much that tonite I made another tart. Minimal effort for maximum enjoyment!!!

Burgundy makes you think silly things, Bordeaux makes you talk about them, and Champagne makes you do them ---

Brillat-Savarin

I made the Osso Bucco last night. I had never made it before, so I figured this was a good recipe to use for my first try. It was very good, but also very expensive. There was NO veal to be had in my town (even at the local butcher's - very frustrating :angry:), so I went to the Whole Foods about 30 minutes away and bought it there. $52 worth of veal shanks to feed to three adults (who definitely appreciated it) and four children (who definitely didn't!) I served it with the Risotto Milanese, but I think I would have preferred something less strongly flavored, like polenta or potatoes.