• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Food Pronunciation Guide for the Dim-witted

Varmint

In Hebrew (I believe also Arabic and , I presume, other Semitic languages), both nouns and verbs are in masculine singular, feminine singular, masculine plural, and feminine plural forms.

Ok, the geek answer here. In Hebrew, most nouns have a definite assigned gender and number. You conjugate verbs appropriately. There are however many exceptions to the rule where a masculine noun receives a feminine verb. This is the closest a Semetic language can get to represents the neutered gender common to most European languages.

Ho'zreem ledeber al O'khel.

- CSR

Edited by C_Ruark (log)
"There's something very Khmer Rouge about Alice Waters that has become unrealistic." - Bourdain; interviewed on dcist.com

Thanks to C_Ruark and to various Austrians, including a principal Vienna food-wine journalist who answered my query on this, here is a correction to what I posted earlier: usual stress is on second syllable of "Veltliner" in Grüner Veltliner.  It was also mentioned that the stress is mild.  (Either I remembered wrong, not for the first time, or I've heard unusual speakers of this wine name, when in Austria.)

Thanks back to you Max on adding links to the newgroups! :cool: I'm keeping your address handy when I've got wine and pairing questions.

You're the man,

- CSR

"There's something very Khmer Rouge about Alice Waters that has become unrealistic." - Bourdain; interviewed on dcist.com

"Classical Arabic" :blink:? I think we're talking about Modern Standard Arabic, the form used in news and official state correspondences... no such thing as a classical form of Arabic (unlike that much hated and difficult measure used to describe medical conditions).

Dude, I don't know what you people call it in English. :rolleyes:

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

Sorry for being over the top :raz: I was dropped on my head as a child and cursed with a knack for speaking more than a few languages beyond English. Just don't ask me to perform any math beyond balancing checkbooks.

-CSR

My DH has given up on this one and pronounces it "Cha-poodle".  Dear me.  (smacks head)

:laugh:

That's funny! In a similar willful mispronunciation, an Italian girlfriend of mine calls prosciutto "prosecuto."

My dad's best friend, when he wants to be funny, brings over a bottle of "peanut nor". :laugh:

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

These are funny.

This is rather gross, but when my son was young, maybe K or first grade or so, he used to call it "pee is known as noir." Weird child.

Life is short; eat the cheese course first.

• 2 weeks later...

Maybe this was listed in this thread somewhere, but I didn't see it in my scan. Okay, I admit it - I didn't have the patience to read every word of this 12 page thread, so I just scanned! You can shoot me later. :blink:

The one I want to know how to say is:

Bonnes Bouches

Anyone?

Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body...but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, wine in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"

Moet Chandon - yes, it's Dutch and the "t" is pronounced.  Same with Perrier Jouet.

Moet & Chandon is Dutch??

Sorry, I'm wrong. I was thinking Jouet, and got carried away. And with Jouet I'm only going on the word of someone I trust, so maybe that's not wholly true.

Retracting, retracting, retracting. . .

Moet is FRENCH. Has NEVER been Dutch. Named after Claude Moet. But the "t" is still pronounced.

Both Moet et Chandon and Perrier Jouet are French Champagne. As matter of fact any Champagne appelation is French.

As for the "t" in both names, unfortunatly it is not pronounced whatsoever.

Moet Chandon - yes, it's Dutch and the "t" is pronounced.  Same with Perrier Jouet.

Sorry, I'm wrong. I was thinking Jouet, and got carried away. And with Jouet I'm only going on the word of someone I trust, so maybe that's not wholly true.

Moet is FRENCH. Has NEVER been Dutch. Named after Claude Moet. But the "t" is still pronounced.

Both Moet et Chandon and Perrier Jouet are French Champagne. As matter of fact any Champagne appelation is French.

Was this copied in answer to my question about Bonnes Bouches?

If so, I don't get it. :wacko:

Can someone provide a phonetic pronunciation for me? Is it something like

"bone-ay bo-shay" or am I screwing it up entirely?

I know absolutely nothing about French.....

Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body...but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, wine in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"

It's simple: bun boosh.

Okay, no idea about the Joet, but wouldn't Moet have to have the "T" pronounced since it is followed by the "et" thus necessitating the elision effect?

Okay, no idea about the Joet, but wouldn't Moet have to have the "T" pronounced since it is followed by the "et" thus necessitating the elision effect?

How one knows to pronounce the "t" in Moët and Jouët is because of the presence of the umlaut (don't know the word for that in French).

Somebody asked for the pronunciation of the wine Vacqueyras. How I heard it pronounced when I was there is something like Vah-keh-RAS. The middle syllable is run over pretty fast.

How one knows to pronounce the "t" in Moët and Jouët is because of the presence of the umlaut (don't know the word for that in French).

I covered it upthread, but for some reason the question keeps resurfacing.

The accent tréma ¨ (dieresis or umlaut) can be on an E, I, or U. It is used when two vowels are next to each other and both must be pronounced, e.g., naïve, Saül.

Jouët and Moët, the 't' is pronounced. It follows the rules of French pronunciation and has also been verified with employees of both houses.

Kind members, please indulge me as I point out that netiquette asks us to quote only those portions of a post to which we are making direct reference.

I would also like to thank touaregsand for her most excellent patience and grace as she re-explains Jouët and Moët.

Shall we choose another term, good friends, the pronunciation of which we can argue for pages and pages?

:wink:

Chris Amirault

eG Ethics Signatory

Sir Luscious got gator belts and patty melts

Shall we choose another term, good friends, the pronunciation of which we can argue for pages and pages?

:wink:

I can't think of anything that's likely to start an argument here, but I have been hearing the word "guanciale" being tortured lately.

Can you pee in the ocean?

I have heard bruschetta mispronounced so many times by so many people that now I have to think twice and visualize it before I say it, lest I embarrass myself.

Last night I asked for a bottle of Gran Feudo, and the waiter asked me if I wanted Gran Fuedo. :hmmm:

Agenda-free since 1966.

Foodblog: Power, Convection and Lies

There are a couple of fish names that I'm sometimes unsure of, because I haven't heard them spoken, or if I have, I'm not sure the person who spoke them was correct.

Like hake and turbot, for instance.

Hake rhymes with rake (in English).

Turbot I would tend to say like turbo, but then again, if it's British, the final T is probably pronounced, so I may well be wrong.

Agenda-free since 1966.

Foodblog: Power, Convection and Lies

Why on vacation around SF, we went to a farmer's market in redwood city. My wife spotted a Knish cart and we decided to get one. I guess Knish are that common in the redwood city area because vendor had a sign explaining what it was. Anyway the woman in front of us said "I have one nish please".

Soup

I covered it upthread, but for some reason the question keeps resurfacing.

Jouët and Moët, the 't' is pronounced. It follows the rules of French pronunciation and has also been verified with employees of both houses.

You (and maybe others in this elephantine thread) have claimed more than once that the 't' in these names is pronounced because of some rule of French pronunciation. Way upthread you included this link as if it contained such a rule, but it doesn't (unless I'm missing something). I believe that the 't' in these names is pronounced not because of a rule but because they're exceptions to the rule (which is somewhat common in French proper names). What is the rule that supposedly covers these names?

Chris, now I think we're just talking about different native-speaker English accents. For me, it's "a" as in "hat," but just wait until you find out how many different ways "hat" is pronounced around the English-speaking world...

Michael aka "Pan"