• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Your Daily Sweets (2005-2012)

Afterburner

I made Alice Medrich's Bittersweet tonight and like you all said, wow it's rich, and so delicious! I left all the nuts in. I think they balance out the sweetness.

Don't wait for extraordinary opportunities. Seize common occasions and make them great. Orison Swett Marden

Cranberry Pear tart from the latest Fine Cooking magazine. It's very good!

This sounds interesting! Is the fruit anchored in some sort of pastry cream or custard?

No, it's almost like a fruit crisp. It has a pecan crust pressed into a tart pan with removeable bottom. Then the pears are quartered and sliced crosswise into 1/4"slices. The cranberries are chopped in the food processor and combined with pears. Then you stir in a mixture of flour, sugar, spices and a bit of brandy. I was worried there wasn't enough sugar with the cranberries but it was just right. And the cranberries didn't stand out like I thought they might. They blended in very nicely. It's all topped with a streudel mixture. With all the other Thanksgiving prep I needed something fairly easy.

Don't wait for extraordinary opportunities. Seize common occasions and make them great. Orison Swett Marden

There was a little bit more of the custard filling than fit in the shell, so I think I'll just fill a couple of ramekins and bake it.

If you have a torch, you can probably brulée the tops of those when you serve them...

Last night I had apple/quince crisp, my first bit of quince of the season. Yum!

"I just hate health food"--Julia Child

Jennifer Garner

buttercream pastries

I have been eyeing his thread for some time, wondering if you really wanted to know what I have for dessert. Until the other day, when I had among other things, hauntingly beautiful quenelle of lavendar tarot root sorbet, a taste of my husband's stinky delicious durian sorbet, quenelle of quince sorbet with Thai basil and citron vodka splashed on top, raspberry creme brulee, lady fingers soaked in rum with chocolate stuff all over, a huge chocolate tendril with The Peabody logo imposed in gold, chocolate marbled long stick things, cherry cookies, a few other things I have no names for and umm oh, sh*t! This umm caramel just from the brink of burnt and liquidy super rich goodness surrounded with dark chocolate from heaven to die for good bonbon.

We got a chef's tasting at The Peabody--oh my total gosh! faint faint

But what I usually have for dessert is sugar free chocolate pudding with lite cool whip. :rolleyes: Or sugar free Archway choc chip or rocky road cookies or Pepperidge Farm sugar free Milanos. :raz: Just didn't want to say so till I had something interesting to say besides my usual! :laugh: or sugar free ice cream...you get the drill... :biggrin:

edited to say: Of course my special desserts were before during and after dindin.

Edited by K8memphis (log)

Brownies. The top brownie is cocoa brownie with ganache. I was "contracted" to make "something chocolate" for a birthday party, and this is what they got. The pic is of the brownie I got to keep. The bottom brownies is Nick Malgieri's Supernatural Brownies, made with chocolate.

gallery_23736_355_6677.jpg

gallery_23736_355_6802.jpg

"If you hear a voice within you say 'you cannot paint,' then by all means paint, and that voice will be silenced" - Vincent Van Gogh

Chocolate chip cookies...nothing fancy, just the good old Toll House recipe - works like a charm every time!

gallery_26775_1623_155128.jpg

Gorgeous brownies, Patrick S.!

"We had dry martinis; great wing-shaped glasses of perfumed fire, tangy as the early morning air." - Elaine Dundy, The Dud Avocado

Queenie Takes Manhattan

eG Foodblogs: 2006 - 2007

Last night:

Qatayef; crispy on the outside, juicy within. Geyser of hot sugar syrup all over the chin. After four of those babies, I started scraping out the spiced walnut filling and stuffing the irresistible, deep-fried pancake shells with vanilla ice cream (homemade, wonderful). Ate four more. Tea, obviously.

Arabic coffee and candied pumpkin.

Kunafa from Tripoli Sweets in Abu Dhabi. I always sprinkle the cheese's underbelly with Maldon salt before I eat it. And I make sure that the pastry is warm and that the cheese is melting. The idea is to eat it before it has a chance to harden.

Later on, while I was out,I made a pit stop for my favorite kunafa of all: the one that's made with a crust of semolina flour like nammoura instead of kataifa or shredded filo dough. I especially love going to the bakery and having them cut off a slice and stuff it into a ka'ak before drizzling the whole thing with an obscene quantity of syrup and handing it over, along with a fat stack of napkins. That's my kind of fast food, right there.

I also ate six of those little schoolboy chocolate biscuits (dark), spread with nutella (an entire small 200g container).

At 2am, a grilled peanut butter and nutella sandwich. Thought about throwing a sliced banana in there for nutritive oomph but decided against it. I don't really like bananas.

Inspired by the "What's for Dinner?" and "Breakfast -- The most important meal of the day" threads in the "Cooking" forum, I ask you...

What are you cooking for dessert for yourself?

I just pulled a strawberry/blackberry crisp out of the oven.  Cinnamon, brown sugar, and St. Brendan's Irish Creme was mixed in with the fruit.  The crisp topping contains a buncha butter, brown sugar, toasted coconut flakes, flour, and rolled oats.

Smells amazing.  I'm about to go try it now that's it's cooled down a bit.

Last night was diplomat pudding flavored with rum and triple sec. Delicious and a great way to use up stale bread and cake.

I love the teeth tracks in the brownie picture, Patrick.

I planned to photograph the thing all in one piece, honest! But as I was setting up my camera, the brownie seduced me, and I had to take a bite. :wink:

"If you hear a voice within you say 'you cannot paint,' then by all means paint, and that voice will be silenced" - Vincent Van Gogh

I made a wonderful lemon mousse last night, just some lemon curd I had in the fridge combined with whipped cream and then well chilled, served with shortbread cookies.

Then, I logged on here, still thinking about more of that lovely mousse waiting for me, and now I am totally craving brownies!

Gorgeous, Patrick, Which brownie did you prefer?

Gorgeous, Patrick, Which brownie did you prefer?

Thanks! Medrich's cocoa brownies are great, but I liked the bottom (Malgieri's) brownies better. For the moment, they're my favorite. To call them fudgy would be an understatement. People often call cakey brownies fudgy, but these really are fudgy, especially when they're cool.

Raspberries with sour cream and brown sugar. Something made me do it when rasperries were at their peak this summer, and I was hooked. Now I'm feeding the addiction with frozen rasperries, and it's still good.

Mm. There's something about it, I just can't stop.

"It is impossible not to love someone who makes toast for you."

-Nigel Slater

Well ..I've got about 18 eggs in my fridge that are just about past the expiration date. So I figure with my oldest daughter being diabetic I would just make an angel food cake with Splenda..some strawberry topping with the frozen strawberries I have left over from making smoothies..and some freash whipped cream. Simple but good.

But what to do with all those yolks? Some anglaise maybe? or make some brulee..scoop it on top of the cake & caramelize it & serve it with the strawberry sauce? hmm..

I bought a Dagoba chocolate bar--50 something percent cocoa, blueberry, lavendar. Nice, but I still like the 74% with chilli and cocoa nibs more.

I also had this thing called a "Honey Cake" from a Chinese bakery--it's a napoleon with thin layers of walnut sponge and cream filling. And a cocktail bun.