• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Afterburner

Your Daily Sweets (2005-2012)

Kerry, both loaves look fabulous. The Pistachio loaf is very interesting. I've never seen it before. Which River Cafe book did you use for the recipe?

Kerry, both loaves look fabulous. The Pistachio loaf is very interesting. I've never seen it before. Which River Cafe book did you use for the recipe?

I have the River Cafe Pocket Books - Puddings, Cakes & Ice Creams that I picked up at a thrift store - but the recipes all seem to be online - here is one - the original differs by adding seeds from a vanilla pod to the cake and only using 60 grams of pistachio and 50 grams of sugar to the topping.

Things I would do differently - the cake was moist - perhaps too moist - so I might add about 70 grams of flour to the cake, and I'd chop the topping pistachios a bit finer - it was hard to cut between them when they were large bits and the knife went skittering off.

Thank you or the recipe Kerry. After reading the recipe I can understand why you would make those modifications. It sounds great. I would follow your suggestions, for sure. I'd alo have to reduce the amount of lemon zest because my husband has a citrus sensitivity. The recipe sounds very interesting. Thank you for sharing.

Thank you or the recipe Kerry. After reading the recipe I can understand why you would make those modifications. It sounds great. I would follow your suggestions, for sure. I'd alo have to reduce the amount of lemon zest because my husband has a citrus sensitivity. The recipe sounds very interesting. Thank you for sharing.

I actually used a couple of drops of lemon oil in place of zest - I'm very lazy that way!

DSCN0290.jpg

Pecan Financiers - don't have the right pan up here so made in mini muffin tins.

DSCN0291.jpg

Pain d'epice - yeast and baking soda and a huge amount of honey. An expensive loaf to make but oh so good. Better after it has sat for a day or two as well. Lacking in aniseed I used a bit of fennel seed and added a goodly amount of black pepper. Also added rye flour to this batch.

Oh yeah - and no way in hell did I peel the pistachios!

A thing of beauty is a joy forever, and I'll bet it tastes great, too! Looks wonderful, Kerry!

"Commit random acts of senseless kindness"

The spoils of this week:

Black currant cordial (Ribena), red current cordial, red currant/raspberry cordial, red currant jelly, white currant jelly, red/black currant jelly ('tis the time for currants in Denmark)

IMG_0008.JPG

Good year for cherries, too. Eating pounds and pounds of the little buggers

OMG, the minute I find pecans I'm totally making that, but with strawberries. Quito markets, don't let me down! Ack, Kerry, you're a horrible enabler of sweet things, you know?

On my end, it's coconut-plantain 2-layer torte, filled with raspberry compote, glazed in honey sauce, and decorated with whatever fruit was good at the market yesterday - so in this case, nectarines, black grapes, strawberries, carambola, and a cherry on top!

CocoPlatano.jpg

Elizabeth Campbell, baking 10,000 feet up at 1° South latitude.

My eG Food Blog (2011)My eG Foodblog (2012)

I say WOW! to both of you, Kerry and PanaCan.

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

Cheers & Chocolates

The spoils of this week:

Black currant cordial (Ribena), red current cordial, red currant/raspberry cordial, red currant jelly, white currant jelly, red/black currant jelly ('tis the time for currants in Denmark)

IMG_0008.JPG

Good year for cherries, too. Eating pounds and pounds of the little buggers

Love the look of this photo... the sunlight going through the jellies makes them glow! Sounds like you must have been busy...

DSCN0306.jpg

Crostada - thank you David Lebovitz. I had a small gifted jar of strawberry jam and the 'bake stable' pectin concoction, make with raspberries that dhardy123 and I made while trying to make Pate de fruit with the evil pectin before I came up north, to use for filling.

I smelled it cooking - thought it smelled done - but the timer hadn't gone off. Went in to the kitchen and the timer still had 1 day, 11 hours and some minutes left to go on it! Not quite sure how that happened and exactly how long the tart had baked - it's a little browner than usual - but it doesn't seem burned so I'm sure it will be fine.

Wow, those look beauteous!!

Ditto from me. I think the word 'beauteous' is most appropriate here.

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

Cheers & Chocolates

On my sweets menu today are pancakes with walnuts baked in the oven. Very simple, fast making and delicious!

"The way you cut your meat reflects the way you live."

Franchise Takeaway

Is it ok to say I have baking envy? Hubby isn't a fan of "sweet stuff" so I don't get to bake often (I'm not meant to be eating everything in sight by myself, apparently). Just thought I'd share. *le sigh*

Sian

"You can't buy happiness, but you can buy chocolate, and that's kinda the same thing really."

I actually used a couple of drops of lemon oil in place of zest - I'm very lazy that way!

Drops are good too! I will have to reduce the lemon. I've used both zest and drops in the past. As long as it is barely noticeable, my husband can tolerate it.

Is it ok to say I have baking envy? Hubby isn't a fan of "sweet stuff" so I don't get to bake often (I'm not meant to be eating everything in sight by myself, apparently). Just thought I'd share. *le sigh*

How about savory recipes? The book, "Cooking With Chocolate" has savory recipes. I have not seen the book but I heard it was very good.

http://www.amazon.com/Cooking-Chocolate-Essential-Recipes-Techniques/dp/208020081X/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1343315522&sr=1-1&keywords=cooking+with+chocolate

Edited by flourgirl (log)

Kerry's photo of her Brooke Dojny's Blueberry Snack Cake is eating a hole in my mind. I am going to try the recipe either as large muffins or small one person loaves. A new breakfast addition for the Dog Weekend.

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

Cheers & Chocolates