• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Tomato Sauce or Gravy

jeffperez62

Very common among NYC italian families. Mostly sicilian backgrounds, or southern.

�As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy, and to make plans.� - Ernest Hemingway, in �A Moveable Feast�

Brooklyn, NY, USA

It's an old-school American-Italian thing to call it "gravy."

It should be mentioned, however, that Italian doesn't always differentiate between "sauce" and "gravy." There are two Italian words for sauce: salsa and sugo.

Thus, tomato sauce might be called salsa di pomodoro but it might also be called sugo rosso (red sauce). Sugo di carne can mean gravy in the sense that it is commonly understood in English, but it might also mean "meat sauce."

So, calling the typical long-simmered Italian-American tomato-and-meat sauce "gravy" isn't all that far from the mark.

--

A very dear friend of ours, originally from NJ, calls it gravy. Her version is enough to bring tears to the eyes of a strong man - fried sausage, the best homemade meatballs ever to cross a lip, tomatoes, onions, etc., etc. And a few secret steps about which we've been sworn to secrecy. Absolute dynamite, but "gravy" it ain't (or so I tell her) :laugh:.

THW

Edited because I can't type with this damned bandaid on my hand :raz:.

Edited by hwilson41 (log)

"My only regret in life is that I did not drink more Champagne." John Maynard Keynes

Anyone from Providence (up on the hill) who is, or wishes that they were (as if it were being part of a diety or something...) Italian call it gravy. It drives me nuts for someone to come into the kitchen to ask to put up a side of gravy, and you have to ask them which color, brown or red?????

Tonyy13

Owner, Big Wheel Provisions

tony_adams@mac.com

In my mother's family (from East Boston) it's always called gravy (my grandfather was Sicilian). It sounds like this must have been common usage in Italian families all up and down the East Coast. Weirdly, I was just reminded of this by something else earlier this morning.

"I think it's a matter of principle that one should always try to avoid eating one's friends."--Doctor Dolittle

blog: The Institute for Impure Science

This is interesting. My grandmother was born in Calabria in Southern Italy and emigrated with her family to the US when she was young settling in Utica, NY. She moved to the Chicago area when she married and as far as I know always spoke of 'tomato sauce'. Based on the evidence above, it seems like she might have grown up knowing it (in English) as gravy.

Anyone from upstate New York care to comment on the use of 'gravy' vs 'sauce'?

Edited by slbunge (log)

Stephen Bunge

St Paul, MN

This is interesting.  My grandmother was born in Calabria in Southern Italy and emigrated with her family to the US when she was young settling in Utica, NY.  She moved to the Chicago area when she married and as far as I know always spoke of 'tomato sauce'.  Based on the evidence above, it seems like she might have grown up knowing it (in English) as gravy.

Anyone from upstate New York care to comment on the use of 'gravy' vs 'sauce'?

i grew up in syracuse and it was sauce with the italians i knew.

i moved downstate and it was gravy.

Reminds me of old friends (a married couple). Felicetti called it gravy; Di Gregorio called it sauce. (Or was it the other way around?) They used to argue over it. Felicetti grew up in the Bronx, Di Gregorio in Queens. I don't know where in Italy their families were from.

On the other hand my Sicilian-American girlfriend's family, who emigrated to East Harlem and then moved slightly upstate, always call it sauce. After watching an episode of the Sopranos, I asked them if they ever called it gravy and they were outright offended by the suggestion.

italians differentiate between a salsa (sauce) and ragu (gravy). the first is added to the dish, the second is intrinsic to it. an example would be a tomato salsa that is made by chopping tomatoes and adding it to the pasta at the last minute. a ragu would be made by chopping tomatoes and cooking it with braised meat for a long time (the meat would usually be served separately, the gravy would go on the pasta as a separate course).

a ragu would be made by chopping tomatoes and cooking it with braised meat for a long time (the meat would usually be served separately, the gravy would go on the pasta as a separate course).

So even though the gravy is used separately -- as a sauce (as it were) -- it wouldn't be called a sauce because of the way in which it was made? :rolleyes: I mean, well, you know what I mean.

italians differentiate between a salsa (sauce) and ragu (gravy). the first is added to the dish, the second is intrinsic to it. an example would be a tomato salsa that is made by chopping tomatoes and adding it to the pasta at the last minute. a ragu would be made by chopping tomatoes and cooking it with braised meat for a long time (the meat would usually be served separately, the gravy would go on the pasta as a separate course).

Where does sugo fit into this? I'm away from my Zingarelli right now, but I've always known ragù as a word meaning a thick stew-like sauce.

Interesting information on this whols subject to be found here. The author seems to share my feeling that "gravy" comes from sugo. It is worthy of note that the "meat drippings and flour" sauce we call "gravy" hardly exists in Italy, and definitely not in the Southern regions from which came most of the immigrants to America.

On ragù, I found this interesting:

I checked Ragù in Antonio Piccinardi's Dizionario di Gastronomia. He says,

"Ragù: A word of French origin that is applied to dishes that differ considerably, but share as a common characteristic the use of meat that's cooked for a long time in a sauce, which is generally destined to go over pasta. There are two main kinds of ragù: one is made with ground meat, and the other from a single piece of meat slowly cooked for a very long time, to which other ingredients can be added. In addition, a number of dishes typical of the southern Regions are called al ragù, for example carne al ragù or braciole al ragù, which consist of slabs of meat of varying size, rolled up around flavoring agents and cooked slowly.

The first type of ragù includes dishes of the Emilian tradition, as well as those from Bari or Sardegna, while the second group includes all the southern dishes."

--

I thought if it was made with meat, it was gravy and if it wasn't, then it was sauce.

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

i've always understood sugo and ragu to be used interchangeably, depending on the region.

Yep, just like everything in Italy. :smile:

I've spent more time in Le Marche than anywhere else (Rossini festival in Pesaro), and they actually use both words, which is perhaps where my own regional bias comes in. My recollection is that sugo is mostly liquid with some small pieces of stuff in it, and that ragù is small pieces of stuff with some liquid in it. But, of course, this probably changes a hundred kilometers in either direction...

--